PDA

View Full Version : King's Indian Attack

Zwischenzug
31-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Do you recommend the KIA for beginners and if so what is a good book for it?

Southpaw Jim
31-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Certainly against the French (1...e6). I've not found any particularly good books on it, the only one I know of is Dunnington's The Ultimate King's Indian. I didn't find it particularly readable though. Probably better aimed at a strong club player, not a beginner.

It can also be played against the Caro-Kann and Sicilian, not sure how applicable it is to 1...e5 however. KIA has a solid reputation, and can lead to a variety of games AFAIK, both open and closed.

As a beginner, though, most of the advice I've received is to not worry about whether I'm playing one opening or another, just to focus on playing good developing moves. At the very least this forces you to learn proper opening principles and to be constantly alert to tactical threats and opportunities. There's not a lot of value in memorising lines of an opening if you don't fully understand the reasoning behind the moves in different lines. Chances are, if you do try to play them through rote learning, you'll play the wrong line in response to your opponent and not know it.

I "play" the Closed Sicilian against 1...c5, the Scotch game against 1...e5, and the KIA against 1...e6. That said, I really only know at most maybe 5-6 moves in any of those. KIA I know best of all since I play the Pirc/KID as black, thus I'm getting used to the general aims and ideas of those openings (they have similar piece placements).