PDA

View Full Version : To ring or not to ring.

Garrett
27-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi all

Had a situation recently and wondered what other posters would do. We are in the middle of the club championships at the moment and my results have been like this :-

Round 1 : 1/2 point bye due to study reasons.
Round 2 : Win with white.
Round 3 : 0 point bye due to illness.
Round 4 : Win with black.

The query is, if I didn't contact Garvo before round 3 and let a forfeit slide through, would that have been a black forfeit and would I have been good chances for white the week after ?

If other people were in my shoes I wonder how many people would not turn up and take the 0 point forfeit with the black pieces so they have better chance of white the week after ? The opponent would have got a free point - everyone wins !!

what do other's think ?

cheers
George.

Garvinator
27-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Forfeits dont count for colours, so you would have still been 'due' black in round 4.

Kevin Bonham
27-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Garvin is correct - games not played have no effect on colours.

Garvinator
27-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Also, organisers and arbiters are less than appreciative when a player doesnt inform that they wont be able to play in a round.

This then deprives the scheduled opponent of a game and gives that person a free point.

Furthermore, it leaves the person who forfeited in a position where the organiser/arbiter might decide to withdraw the person from the competition under:

F.8 Players who are absent during a round without notification to the arbiter will be considered to have withdrawn themselves.

Kevin Bonham
27-10-2006, 05:00 PM
F8 may seem draconian but it is actually a very good rule, because otherwise you get players forfeiting one game and then you don't know what to do with them in the draw for the next round.

Garvinator
27-10-2006, 05:29 PM
F8 may seem draconian but it is actually a very good rule, because otherwise you get players forfeiting one game and then you don't know what to do with them in the draw for the next round.
Also it puts the onus back on the player to get in contact with the organisers, instead of the other way around.

eclectic
27-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Isn't the best option to ring your opponent's mobile after the game has started in the hope they have it on?

:P

I didn't say that, did I?

:uhoh:

Garrett
27-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Okay thanks guys that settles my query.

I was worried that the rules may reward bad behaviour but if forfiets don't count for colours then that's good.

By the way, I have never complained about a free point when an opponent doesn't front ! It gives you a chance to relax and watch some games.

cheers
George.

Kevin Bonham
27-10-2006, 06:50 PM
I hate it when a weak opponent forfeits. I always feel cheated of a ratings point. :lol:

ElevatorEscapee
27-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Isn't the best option to ring your opponent's mobile after the game has started in the hope they have it on?

:P

I didn't say that, did I?

:uhoh:

Thankfully what you didn't say was, "if they get out their mobile and turn it off before the game starts, you wait until they go to the toilet and then you surreptitiously turn it on when no one is looking.... if their phone goes off some time later, well, does it really matter who's calling them?". :owned:

I am not sure that people would appreciate it very much if you had said something like that, so I am glad you didnt. :)

Denis_Jessop
27-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Also, organisers and arbiters are less than appreciative when a player doesnt inform that they wont be able to play in a round.

This then deprives the scheduled opponent of a game and gives that person a free point.

Furthermore, it leaves the person who forfeited in a position where the organiser/arbiter might decide to withdraw the person from the competition under: {F8}

Generally, I agree.

It may not be wholly relevant to the point but nevertheless F8 is preceded by the words "Unless the rules of the competition provide otherwise". In club events that I am directing, I usually put in an escape clause for people who had a reasonable excuse for not notifying the arbiter such as a last minute crisis making it impossible for them to do so. These things happen.

DJ

Garvinator
27-10-2006, 10:11 PM
{F8}

Generally, I agree.

It may not be wholly relevant to the point but nevertheless F8 is preceded by the words "Unless the rules of the competition provide otherwise". In club events that I am directing, I usually put in an escape clause for people who had a reasonable excuse for not notifying the arbiter such as a last minute crisis making it impossible for them to do so. These things happen.

DJ
hence why I said:
Furthermore, it leaves the person who forfeited in a position where the organiser/arbiter might decide to withdraw the person from the competition under: the key word being might ;)

Santa
27-11-2011, 12:31 AM

Furthermore, it leaves the person who forfeited in a position where the organiser/arbiter might decide to withdraw the person from the competition under:

The opponent who has driven for an hour to get to the venue won't appreciate the forfeit either.

antichrist
27-11-2011, 10:05 AM
The opponent who has driven for an hour to get to the venue won't appreciate the forfeit either.

except if they had been travelling through peak hour Sydney traffic and are already bugged and impatient - not recommended to play then at all