PDA

View Full Version : Question for Shirty and other Fide Organisers

MichaelBaron
26-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Question for the people who are experienced in organising Fide-Rated tournaments.

How much does it cost to Fide-rate a 10-player round-robin event?:hmm:

Garrett
27-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Interesting question !

eclectic
27-10-2006, 07:01 PM
It will bode ilyu if yu can't pay zhinov tax! :P :owned: :doh:

Rhubarb
27-10-2006, 07:41 PM
The minimum fee for a 10-player RR is 30 Euros.

It can cost a lot more.

There are also extra FIDE fees.

BEN DOVER
27-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Question for the people who are experienced in organising Fide-Rated tournaments.

How much does it cost to Fide-rate a 10-player round-robin event?:hmm:

for a male model covered in bird seed nothing!

MichaelBaron
28-10-2006, 02:07 AM
30 euros is ok :)

But what could the extras possibly depend on?:hmm:

Rhubarb
28-10-2006, 10:02 AM
But what could the extras possibly depend on?:hmm:Why don't you ask "Australia's top tournament organiser/arbiter"?

MichaelBaron
28-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Why don't you ask "Australia's top tournament organiser/arbiter"?

I will ask him when I see him...he is a really nice and helpful person. He is also a very intelligent person who is capable of answering simple questions simply. Pity, not all of the Australian chess administrators have this great quality.

Rhubarb
28-10-2006, 12:06 PM
I will ask him when I see him...he is a really nice and helpful person. He is also a very intelligent person who is capable of answering simple questions simply. Pity, not all of the Australian chess administrators have this great quality.What, you mean he didn't answer your email? (There's a surprise. :rolleyes: )

May I point out that you openly snubbed me on the MCC 8-Player RR Events thread and then only asked me after Gary couldn't/wouldn't tell you the answer. Such behaviour is not conducive to getting what you want. I am normally only too happy to help and answer any questions as best I can. Of the hundreds of communications I have had concerning FIDE ratings in the last year, you are the only person I can remember who I didn't really feel like helping. [Edit: I just remembered someone else, so you're one of two people.]

Still, because I'm such a top bloke :cool:, if I could be bothered I may send you a PM detailing the exact nature of the extra fees (for various reasons it is better not to say everything here on the thread) in the perhaps vain hope of introducing you to Reality.

Sincerely,
Shirty

Spiny Norman
02-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Still, because I'm such a top bloke :cool:, if I could be bothered I may send you a PM detailing the exact nature of the extra fees (for various reasons it is better not to say everything here on the thread) in the perhaps vain hope of introducing you to Reality.
This Reality bloke sounds cool, I'd like to be introduced too ... ;) ...

Croydon is going to start running some Open tournaments and I'd also like to know (1) what it would cost us to get a tournament FIDE rated; and (2) what the key requirements might be for that.

I've had a look at the ACF and FIDE websites and have looked at the handbook section on rated events (http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B02) ... it seems that with a Swiss format, as long as we have a number of FIDE-rated players (no specific minimum), then games played against those players will be included for rating, whereas games between two non-rated playersare ignored. Is that pretty much how it works?

Also, it seems we have to pre-register the event. Is there a certain minimum of lead time for that to happen?

Rhubarb
03-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Croydon is going to start running some Open tournaments and I'd also like to know (1) what it would cost us to get a tournament FIDE rated; and (2) what the key requirements might be for that.

I've had a look at the ACF and FIDE websites and have looked at the handbook section on rated events (http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B02) ... it seems that with a Swiss format, as long as we have a number of FIDE-rated players (no specific minimum), then games played against those players will be included for rating, whereas games between two non-rated playersare ignored. Is that pretty much how it works?Hi Frosty,

For a round-robin, the base fee is 30 Euros (at least one-third of players must be FIDE rated). For Swisses, as long as there are 3 FIDE-rated players it can be FIDE rated. The base fee is the number of FIDE-rated players plus the number of players who get blocks (minumum 3 games against FIDE-rated players) in Euros. So for example 10 FIDE-rated players with 5 players getting blocks will cost 15 Euros.

These fees are referred to as the tournament registration fees.

In addition, FIDE charges us an annual ratings fee based on the number of active players, which up until now has been entirely paid for by the ACF. The Council is about to charge a FIDE rating admin fee to cover these costs, and I'll let everyone know when the details have been finalised.

Also, it seems we have to pre-register the event. Is there a certain minimum of lead time for that to happen? The sooner the better, although technically it can be pre-registered the day before the tournament starts. Normally I'd want to be notified as soon as the dates have been set, as I need to check the format meets the regulations and put the details on the FIDE Ratings Server.

The main regulations are the tournament must be finished in 90 days (not usually a problem); minimum time controls as described here (http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B0201) which you've probably already read (the standard time control in Australia is 90m +30s/move from move 1, but there's plenty of flexibility); no more than 12 hours or 3 games a day; and of course at least one-third rated in round-robins.

Spiny Norman
03-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Ta muchly! I think we'll meet all those criteria easily. Time limit will be 90+30. Tournament is 7-round Swiss. Round 1 is not until 2nd August, so we have plenty of time.

I will send this info to our organiser (Douglas Stones) and he will confirm all the details with you in due course. It'll probably take us a few more weeks to get organised. (confirming sponsorships, finding an arbiter, etc).

MichaelBaron
05-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Ta muchly! I think we'll meet all those criteria easily. Time limit will be 90+30. Tournament is 7-round Swiss. Round 1 is not until 2nd August, so we have plenty of time.

I will send this info to our organiser (Douglas Stones) and he will confirm all the details with you in due course. It'll probably take us a few more weeks to get organised. (confirming sponsorships, finding an arbiter, etc).

It is great to see suburban clubs getting their events fide rated:clap:

jase
05-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Checking email regularly ...

no contact ...

Oh! Perhaps that didn't refer to me ...
Perhaps this referred to me:

you are the only person I can remember who I didn't really feel like helping. [Edit: I just remembered someone else, so you're one of two people.]

:eek:

ps Hi Greg. Was bored and wandered in.

eclectic
05-02-2007, 11:46 PM
[Edit: I just remembered someone else, so you're one of two people.]

Now, Shirty, I wouldn't be that someone else now, would I?

No, I guess not, I couldn't organise a chess tournament to save myself so I'd never ever be an arbiter or the like and besides I give out a negative vibe here according to certain well documented shout box utterances which in itself wouldn't be good for tournament morale, heh.

PS

I'm STILL here.

Spiny Norman
06-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Can someone enlighten me as to who this is (I profess complete ignorance, having not been around long enough to understand the pecking order).

I have emailed one "person of some note" who is Melbourne-based and an IA, but have not had any reply ... perhaps I do not have his current email address???

Any tips for good organisers/arbiters to talk to in Melbourne would be appreciated guys ....

antichrist
06-02-2007, 09:03 AM
What, you mean he didn't answer your email? (There's a surprise. :rolleyes: )

May I point out that you openly snubbed me on the MCC 8-Player RR Events thread and then only asked me after Gary couldn't/wouldn't tell you the answer. Such behaviour is not conducive to getting what you want. I am normally only too happy to help and answer any questions as best I can. Of the hundreds of communications I have had concerning FIDE ratings in the last year, you are the only person I can remember who I didn't really feel like helping. [Edit: I just remembered someone else, so you're one of two people.] Still, because I'm such a top bloke :cool:, if I could be bothered I may send you a PM detailing the exact nature of the extra fees (for various reasons it is better not to say everything here on the thread) in the perhaps vain hope of introducing you to Reality.

Sincerely,
Shirty

Mike, I think he is lumping us together - this guy is so diplomatic he could solve the M/E crisis, send him over quickly.