PDA

View Full Version : Avatar titles

PHAT
02-04-2004, 12:52 AM
I don't want "CK Grandmaster" under my avatar. I want "Neanderthal half-breed". I cannot find where to make this change.

Kevin Bonham
02-04-2004, 02:20 AM
If you're half Neanderthal, what's the other half? Or are your halves both different kinds of Neanderthals?

I wonder if Neanderthals had racism.

skip to my lou
02-04-2004, 06:50 AM
I don't want "CK Grandmaster" under my avatar. I want "Neanderthal half-breed". I cannot find where to make this change.

You need to wait till you have 2000+ posts.

PHAT
03-04-2004, 12:42 PM
What happened to my reply to KB? What was it deleted for? There was no swearing, no obsenities, no sexism, no racism, nobody was named as/for anything, nothing that it could be deleted for?

Fes up who ever deleted it and say exaclty why you did it. :evil:

Rincewind
03-04-2004, 01:49 PM
What happened to my reply to KB? What was it deleted for? There was no swearing, no obsenities, no sexism, no racism, nobody was named as/for anything, nothing that it could be deleted for?

Fes up who ever deleted it and say exaclty why you did it. :evil:

I recommended it be deleted as it did contain very obvious swearing, obsenities and sexism. I was not offended but I saw no value in the content and did not want to marginalise other BB users.

PHAT
03-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Context, Barry, context.

The swearing was of the "f***" type.
The obsenity was canabalism.
The sexism was not at all sexism since the context was caveman behaviour.

Try this: Don't be a proactive PCmeister. Wait for a complaint. If there isn't a complaint, then you know what the acceptable standard is - it might not be what you think it is.

EDIT PS and further, if you want to say that a post having in your opinion, "no value", makes it a better candidate for deletion, try deleting the whole F***ing 'who is cl thread'.

arosar
03-04-2004, 06:26 PM
I recommended it be deleted as it did contain very obvious swearing, obsenities and sexism. I was not offended but I saw no value in the content and did not want to marginalise other BB users.

Barry, what have you got against Matty man? I am guilty of all these 3 things. Yet I don't recall you deleting any of my posts. What's going on mate?

AR

eclectic
03-04-2004, 07:33 PM
EDIT PS and further, if you want to say that a post having in your opinion, "no value", makes it a better candidate for deletion, try deleting the whole F***ing 'who is cl thread'.
Matt,

WELL SAID

I shall leave it to you to create a poll on the matter.

:hmm:

eclectic

ps

A little "histrionics" from the Mexicans might be next to go under the knife if you get your wish.

:whistle:

Rincewind
03-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Context, Barry, context.

The swearing was of the "f***" type.

Yes, but in greater volume, variety and gratuitousness then the norm.

The obsenity was canabalism.

Cannabilism of reproductive organs, yes.

The sexism was not at all sexism since the context was caveman behaviour.

Sexism is sexism. Caveman behaviour can only be surmised from the evidence. I don't know if anyone has surmised that much.

Try this: Don't be a proactive PCmeister. Wait for a complaint. If there isn't a complaint, then you know what the acceptable standard is - it might not be what you think it is.

No, I don't wait for a complaint. I moderate according to the guidelines of the board. The "value" comment was related to the gratuitousness of the obsenities. As you say, it all has to do with the context.

Rincewind
03-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Barry, what have you got against Matty man? I am guilty of all these 3 things. Yet I don't recall you deleting any of my posts. What's going on mate?

Amiel, you sail close to the wind but don't often cross the line. Matt has the unfortunately pleasure of being a team mate of mine. Caesar's wife must be above suspicion. ;)

PHAT
03-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Matt has the unfortunately pleasure of being a team mate of mine. Caesar's wife must be above suspicion. ;)

Fair enough :lol:

skip to my lou
04-04-2004, 03:29 PM
I set it 1000 posts and then promotion now, so Matt go to your "edit profile" in user cpanel and you should have an option to change it.

arosar
04-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Next time Barry, you could at least haul your butt to Sydney for some tourns man.

AR

Rincewind
04-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Next time Barry, you could at least haul your butt to Sydney for some tourns man.

Not big on weekenders. Even in Wollongong. Although I have played in the Grade matches last year and two years prior to that. Didn't see you in those.

Gandalf
05-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Damn, I was just preparing to set custom at 5000 too. Jeo, look in the control panel and tell me what you think of my new titles.

PHAT
05-04-2004, 06:17 PM
I set it 1000 posts and then promotion now, so Matt go to your "edit profile" in user cpanel and you should have an option to change it.
THX

skip to my lou
05-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Damn, I was just preparing to set custom at 5000 too. Jeo, look in the control panel and tell me what you think of my new titles.
Haha!

I dunno man. Start a thread and ask members opinions, maybe create a poll?

But yeh, I have custom title so it doesn't matter for me :P :P

Bill Gletsos
05-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Whats the point of setting particular limits on titles and then changing them on the request of a poster or even the whim of an admin.

Personally I saw nothing wrong with the titles as they stood.

skip to my lou
05-04-2004, 08:15 PM
I didn't do it because matt asked the question, infact he accepted it was 2000 he didn't ask me to make it 1000.. that was my decision. The rest of post titles, I dunno.

Alan Shore
05-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Pff.. regular.. I liked Candidate Master better :p

Rhubarb
06-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Whats the point of setting particular limits on titles and then changing them on the request of a poster or even the whim of an admin.

Yes, so for example when my title is changed from CK Rookie to CK Puppy on the whim of an admin, will the admins listen to my request to change it back?

skip to my lou
06-04-2004, 07:34 AM
Maybe custom title for all? :eek:

Bill Gletsos
06-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Why could you just not leave it the way it was.
Changing the whole thing apperntly just on gandalfs whim does not seem justified.
In fact you suggested it being discussed in a thread but appranrlt no such discussion was attempted. All that happened was they suddenly changed.

Unless there was a justifiable need to change I think it should go back the way it was.

Overall I think you do a good job admining the BB but its things like this that dont exactly engender great faith in the admins.

ursogr8
06-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Changing the whole thing apperntly just on gandalfs whim does not seem justified.
In fact you suggested it being discussed in a thread but appranrlt no such discussion was attempted. All that happened was they suddenly changed.

Unless there was a justifiable need to change I think it should go back the way it was.

Overall I think you do a good job admining the BB but its things like this that dont exactly engender great faith in the admins.
But Bill, if the ADMINs (in particular Gandalf) don't do undisciplined things to annoy us then how would he ever get noticed? There is no point in having a power if you can't exercise it. :rolleyes:

skip to my lou
06-04-2004, 06:54 PM

Its only member titles, I dont really care, thats why.

I have more important things to think about such as the pgn feature which I am going to re-write.

Bill Gletsos
06-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Its only member titles, I dont really care, thats why.
That may be true, but thats all the more reason not to change it.

I have more important things to think about such as the pgn feature which I am going to re-write.
On this we would agree. ;)

Alan Shore
06-04-2004, 07:29 PM

I would support that. After all, the post count will still be there for those who think it's important but being able to have a custom title is nice, like the freedom to have your own custom avatar :)

skip to my lou
06-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Actually I only made it 1000 posts, since 2000 posts seems a bit too much, not that 1000 isn't too much itself, but given the post count of the regulars, 1000 I think is fine.

I didn't change the titles, Gandalf did, I told him to change it back and he hasn't done it yet.

Gandalf
06-04-2004, 10:00 PM
I just changed them to test out the VB admin panel, since the avatar titles were one thing we didn't have to change. Now that I know they're working they can be changed back.

So you know, Jeo handles the in-depth programming and I do the other stuff. We're both quite busy so this arrangement works well. Therefore, if you see something randomly changed, you know I'm not just doing it to keep you on your toes. :)

Gandalf
06-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Actually, do we really care about user ranks? I think that custom for all isn't so bad an idea (though it destroys the "achievement" mentality of posting a lot). I think I'll start a poll on it.

Bill Gletsos
06-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Actually, do we really care about user ranks? I think that custom for all isn't so bad an idea (though it destroys the "achievement" mentality of posting a lot). I think I'll start a poll on it.
There was a general discussion when the ACF members moved here and it was agreed then on what the titles should be, so I doubt they need to be revisited.

Custom title was something new that wasnt on the old ACF board.
I thought at the time Jeo warned there would be problems if those with custom title placed offensive material in them. I thought thats why he originally made getting custom title so high.
Allowing everyone could cause problems.

Also making it some sort of achievement may make people more inclined to contribute.

skip to my lou
06-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Also making it some sort of achievement may make people more inclined to contribute.

Or spam more

Bill Gletsos
06-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Or spam more
Possibly, but I dont think that is happening.
At least not to any significant degree.
The spats between posters would still occur irrespective of it.
Also posts to the non chess threads dont count.

Alan Shore
07-04-2004, 12:38 AM
Or spam more

Seriously, I think Jeo's right. Then people can just post what they want to say.

Instead of just posting single line posts.

Or single words.

Or just :owned:

And

get

ever

closer

to

some

title.

Bill Gletsos
07-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Seriously, I think Jeo's right. Then people can just post what they want to say.

Instead of just posting single line posts.

Or single words.

Or just :owned:

And

get

ever

closer

to

some

title.
Yes, but there is no evidence that people are actually doing that.

Rincewind
07-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Yes, but there is no evidence that people are actually doing that.

:lol:

Bill Gletsos
07-04-2004, 04:36 PM
:lol:
smartass ;)

skip to my lou
07-04-2004, 05:30 PM
smartass ;)
:eh:

skip to my lou
08-04-2004, 12:16 AM
I think 1000 that it is currently set at now is fine...

Alan Shore
08-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Barry you copycat, I put my picture as a black wizard and now you put Dark Magician! :p

Rincewind
08-04-2004, 12:40 AM
Barry you copycat, I put my picture as a black wizard and now you put Dark Magician! :p

Is that what that is? I thought you were a Jawa. :P

Anyway, looks like Hamtaro's been wrapped up by 10, they had Rugrats this morning so I've moved to a "trendier" cartoon. Hamtaro was a kiddy cartoon but even the kiddy Japanese cartoons are worth watching. Rugrats is just painful. :(

I did look for a Summoned Skull or Blue-Eyes avatar but didn't find anything I liked. I thought the Dark Magician looked ok, so that's what I've got for now.

If you want dibs on Dark Magicians I'll change.

Garvinator
08-04-2004, 12:45 AM
If you want dibs on Dark Magicians I'll change.
how old are you barry ;) dibs is what an eight year old would say :lol: :uhoh:

Rincewind
08-04-2004, 12:49 AM
how old are you barry ;) dibs is what an eight year old would say :lol: :uhoh:

Too old to be watching Rug Rats. Not old enough to have stopped watching Yu-Gi Oh! :p

Alan Shore
08-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Hehe, thanks barry.. he's a black wizard from Final Fantasy IX, called Vivi.

Yugioh I watch very occasionally but any more than that and it's too much to take.. kind of like Dragonball Z.. 30 mins/month is fine :)

Hamtaro wasn't my cup of tea but a saw a couple of good Spongebob episodes, hehe. I still think you can't beat the old shows though.. Smurfs, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Samurai Pizza Cats, Puddle Lane, T-Bag.. :)

Rincewind
08-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Yugioh I watch very occasionally but any more than that and it's too much to take.. kind of like Dragonball Z.. 30 mins/month is fine :)

Hamtaro wasn't my cup of tea but a saw a couple of good Spongebob episodes, hehe. I still think you can't beat the old shows though.. Smurfs, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Samurai Pizza Cats, Puddle Lane, T-Bag.. :)

I think the charcters in Yugi are a little more deeper than in DragonballZ although I never really got into DBZ. Hamtaro is intended for a younger audience but has some pretty wacky stories too so it remained watchable.

BTW the new avatar is Pen Pen who was Misato's pet penguin from Neon Genesis Evangelion. I wonder is SBS will replay this sometime.

Alan Shore
08-04-2004, 01:25 AM
Hehe yes, Pen Pen was so cute :) I still have all the NGE on tape from years ago when it was showing on SBS.

Love Hina is still my favourite anime, Evangelion probably #2.

Gandalf
08-04-2004, 02:01 AM
Nonono! It's not Pen Pen, it's Pen˛! Barry, can you parse HTML into your custom title? If not just copy/paste what I typed. When quoting Shinseiki Evangelion you must get it right. :D

Rincewind
08-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Nonono! It's not Pen Pen, it's Pen˛! Barry, can you parse HTML into your custom title? If not just copy/paste what I typed. When quoting Shinseiki Evangelion you must get it right. :D

Sorted. ;)

Thunk
08-04-2004, 11:51 AM
I think the charcters in Yugi are a little more deeper than in DragonballZ although I never really got into DBZ. Hamtaro is intended for a younger audience but has some pretty wacky stories too so it remained watchable.

BTW the new avatar is Pen Pen who was Misato's pet penguin from Neon Genesis Evangelion. I wonder is SBS will replay this sometime.

mr modErator numbEr x

arE you surE that this intimidating avatar is thE facE you want to prEsEnt to us?

i fElt that i was in my comfort zonE whEn you wErE looking aftEr us whilE displaying thE lovEly dEsErt scEnE.

but now, it looks likE you will bE “pEcking” somEonE to dEath.

:( :rolleyes: thE HUNK :rolleyes: :(

Rincewind
08-04-2004, 02:59 PM
arE you surE that this intimidating avatar is thE facE you want to prEsEnt to us?

Yes.

i fElt that i was in my comfort zonE whEn you wErE looking aftEr us whilE displaying thE lovEly dEsErt scEnE.

You need to challenge yourself more.

but now, it looks likE you will bE “pEcking” somEonE to dEath.

I can live in hope. ;)

Thunk
08-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Yes.

You need to challenge yourself more.

I can live in hope. ;)

a chill wind just blEw around thE shorEs of baysidE mEntonE. ovErhEad a largE fEarsomE bird callEd pEculiarly a modErator circlEs looking for his fEw matEs. this modErator has chEwEd his bluE pEncil down to a short stump; a condition that is common to thosE modErators with a puzzlE look.

it is timE for THUNk to considEr migrating to warmEr climEs. hE thinks hE might takE thE coast routE to banana-land this yEar and look up mr swEEnEy and mr gray along thE way. is thErE any routE that will EscapE thE EyE of thE fEarEd modErator?

:p :cool: the HUNK :cool: :p

Gandalf
09-04-2004, 12:07 AM
I hatE, hatE thE way you do this stupid thing with thE lEttEr E in all your posts.

ursogr8
09-04-2004, 10:30 AM
I hatE, hatE thE way you do this stupid thing with thE lEttEr E in all your posts.

Gandalf
Of course you do mate.

And personally I wasn't to taken by the way you used 28-point font for most of January and February. When I tried to use it for emphasis I got squashed by Jeo. Probably taking up too much file space?

Now you use size=1 to distinguish yourself from all other posters. Any reason you use this small size, mate; it makes me reach for my glasses to read your posts.

starter

Garvinator
09-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Gandalf
Of course you do mate.

And personally I wasn't to taken by the way you used 28-point font for most of January and February. When I tried to use it for emphasis I got squashed by Jeo. Probably taking up too much file space?

Now you use size=1 to distinguish yourself from all other posters. Any reason you use this small size, mate; it makes me reach for my glasses to read your posts.

starter
starter, i asked the same question a few days ago :lol: on this thread too ;)

skip to my lou
09-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Umm starter, he used size 10 on the old board which is = to size 1 on this board, thats why its displayed as big fonts now.

ursogr8
09-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Umm starter, he used size 10 on the old board which is = to size 1 on this board, thats why its displayed as big fonts now.

K
He displays as small fonts now, not big.

starter

skip to my lou
09-04-2004, 04:32 PM
So whats wrong with that?

ursogr8
09-04-2004, 09:39 PM
So whats wrong with that?
Nobody used the word 'wrong'.

skip to my lou
09-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Nobody used the word 'wrong'.

... ok then ...

"So what" if his font is smaller?

Thunk
14-04-2004, 04:56 PM

sorry sir gandalf,
plEasE don’t ban mE.
in fact, don’t EvEn hatE mE

my only othEr option is to put thE num lock on and thEn wE gEt

64%*&23!!+>@()

doEs this makE morE sEnsE?

;) :rolleyes: thE HUNK :rolleyes: ;)

Gandalf
15-04-2004, 04:08 AM
I don't hate you and I'm not mad about it. It's just annoying. Is there a problem with your keyboard?

Thunk
15-04-2004, 08:30 AM
I don't hate you and I'm not mad about it. It's just annoying. Is there a problem with your keyboard?

thEy tEll mE it is thE kEy-board. somEthing about shift lock stuck on E. it is strangE though, whEn i hold down E for a whilE it comEs good. Watch. EEEEEEEeeeeee. seE. oops, back with thE problEm again.

it all bEgan whEn I offErEd to bEcomE thE VCA publicity officEr aftEr onE of thE ExEcutivE gooroos visitEd our littlE club and said wE could bE thE nExt big thing if wE just talkEd about oursElvEs morE, instEad of lying on thE bEach. hE told us about this bullEtin board and dEmonstratEd how to post.

as soon as I had a rEgistration up on thE scrEEn thE E’s appEarEd, coming out as capitals.

thE VCA gooroo said thEy would rEplacE thE kEyboard as part of thEir sErvicE to flEdgling clubs, but hE had to wait for thE annual gEnEral mEEting to gEt thE by-laws changEd so that all clubs would not ExpEct thE samE trEatmEnt.

sincE thEn i havE postEd infrEquEntly on thE bullEtin board bEcausE i find somE postErs makE fun of my disability, with E’s.
i would likE to tEll EvEryonE what is going on in victoria, likE thE bEaut mastErs now in progrEss, but as soon as thE criticism of thE E’s comEs thEn i drop my bundlE.

:cool: :uhoh: thE HUNK :uhoh: :cool:

arosar
15-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Please, please thunk....do give us daily updates. I think your affliction is sort of....cute!

AR

Thunk
15-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Please, please thunk....do give us daily updates. I think your affliction is sort of....cute!

AR

stEady on, mr rosario.

that is thE first timE thE HUNK has bEEn callEd cutE.

nExt, you will bE saying i am a good sort. :eek:

not that thErE is anything wrong with that?

:cool: :eek: thE HUNK :eek: :cool:

arosar
15-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Relax mate....I'm not that way at all inclined you know.

AR

arosar
15-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Hey boys....any1 of youse been following the Dragonball GT series? I lost track of it and missed the first few episodes. Any1 care to give a quick run-down.

Cheers fellas.

AR

Lucena
17-04-2004, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=Barry Cox]
Cannabilism of reproductive organs, yes.
QUOTE]Is this referring to Matthew's post about the placentas? That was pretty off... :eek:

Rincewind
18-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Is this referring to Matthew's post about the placentas? That was pretty off... :eek:

No, another post which I edited. Best not to ask.

Alan Shore
18-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks for changing the minimum post count guys :D

Garvinator
18-04-2004, 11:56 PM
but there could be so many choices that you should be a bit more specific ;) :lol:

Lucena
20-04-2004, 09:17 AM

allright then I won't :silenced:

Lucena
20-04-2004, 09:18 AM
Thanks for changing the minimum post count guys :D

what is it now?

Bill Gletsos
20-04-2004, 11:43 AM
what is it now?
Looks like 200.