PDA

View Full Version : Changing Your Chess Opening

Zwischenzug
12-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi. This is probably a question that has been asked and answered thousands of times before but I will ask it anyway. How do you which opening suits your style best? How do you know what style you play?

I am not too sure what my style of play is, but if I am to guess, I think my style is positional as I like the English opening. Well, what it comes down to is what kind of chess I want to play versus what kind of chess I am comfortable with. I want to adopt a closed opening that gives me prospects for a strong kingside attack and am thinking of switching to the Ruy Lopez and the Guioco Pianissimo. To be honest, I forget why I chose the English opening in the first place, maybe its the novelty of having an opening besides e4 or d4 which isn't hyper-analyzed by most people (and is solid of course).

likesforests
12-10-2006, 07:44 PM
How do you which opening suits your style best? How do you know what style you play?

I paged through opening books at my bookstore. I read the introductions, scanned through the main lines, skimmed through some games... and if they still piqued my interest I attempt to play some games in that line.

It became clear which were fun, which I won with, and which gave me a clear middlegame plan. I imagine a similar process would work for others, and having a cursory knowledge of a few openings doesn't hurt.

MichaelBaron
16-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Hi. This is probably a question that has been asked and answered thousands of times before but I will ask it anyway. How do you which opening suits your style best? How do you know what style you play?

I am not too sure what my style of play is, but if I am to guess, I think my style is positional as I like the English opening. Well, what it comes down to is what kind of chess I want to play versus what kind of chess I am comfortable with. I want to adopt a closed opening that gives me prospects for a strong kingside attack and am thinking of switching to the Ruy Lopez and the Guioco Pianissimo. To be honest, I forget why I chose the English opening in the first place, maybe its the novelty of having an opening besides e4 or d4 which isn't hyper-analyzed by most people (and is solid of course).

There are no good and bad openings, there are good and bad players! Simply choose any openings that you are comfortable with and that are suitable for your playing style and focus on them . :D

antichrist
16-10-2006, 05:10 PM
As Black I play Sicilian which I am not even comfortable with nor does it suit my style, but it is the only response for black to e4 that I have looked at and have won sufficiently with it so I hang in until I get dedicated again to study something else.

Zwischenzug
16-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I thought that some openings like the Danish gambit or the King's Gambit or Alekhine's Defense have good refutation lines, thus determining whether an opening is a solid one or not. Its probably a combination of how good the player is, and how solid the opening is.

Zwischenzug
16-10-2006, 07:44 PM
I actually like the King's Gambit, I just hate Qh4 and an uncomfortable king.

MichaelBaron
16-10-2006, 08:16 PM
I actually like the King's Gambit, I just hate Qh4 and an uncomfortable king.

1.e4e52.f4exf43.Nf3 Qh4+4.Nxh4!!!!!

Zwischenzug
16-10-2006, 08:47 PM
1.e4e52.f4exf43.Nf3 Qh4+4.Nxh4!!!!!

Nf3 is pretty much forced to stop the extremely annoying Qh4+. Black can Be7 then Bh4.

Here is the King's Gambit opening that I really admire:

(65793) Smirnow - Tichonov
USSR
1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 g5 4.Bc4 g4 5.0–0 gxf3 6.Qxf3 Qf6 7.e5 Qxe5 8.Bxf7+ Kxf7 9.d4 Qxd4+ 10.Be3 Qf6 11.Bxf4 Ne7 12.Nc3 Bg7 13.Nd5 Nxd5 14.Qxd5+ Qe6 15.Bd2+ Kg8 16.Rae1 Qxd5 17.Re8+ Bf8 18.Bh6 Qd4+ 19.Kh1 Qg7 20.Rfxf8+ Qxf8 21.Rxf8#

MichaelBaron
16-10-2006, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=Zwichenzug]Nf3 is pretty much forced to stop the extremely annoying Qh4+. Black can Be7 then Bh4.

Here is the King's Gambit opening that I really admire:

(65793) Smirnow - TichonovQUOTE]

Well its not forced at all. in the 1.e4e52.f4exf43.Bc4 line..3..Qh4+ is not lethal. just play 4.Ke2