PDA

View Full Version : acf website feedback

Lucena
31-03-2004, 11:04 AM
nice to see that the acf website now has direct links to the state federations-I'm pretty sure they weren't there before-is that right paulb? ps was unsure where to post this so started new thread

Lucena
31-03-2004, 11:07 AM
by the way I'm not so sure "vincent sutter" will be too happy about his name being misspelt-not that that's a major problem

Lucena
31-03-2004, 11:09 AM
that reminds me-is there some place on acf website where we have an explanation on how our rating system works? I looked at ratings page but it just gives details and explains a bit re the 70 point hike

arosar
31-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Hey...how come your post-count hasn't gone up?

AR

Garvinator
31-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Hey...how come your post-count hasn't gone up?

AR
posting in the non chess threads would be my guess, dont get increased post count there :whistle:

Garvinator
31-03-2004, 04:08 PM
that reminds me-is there some place on acf website where we have an explanation on how our rating system works? I looked at ratings page but it just gives details and explains a bit re the 70 point hike
oh dear, there are about a 1000 threads on here regarding how the rating system works, or in some ppl's opinion, doesnt work :eek:

I am sure bill might be able to help you better than I can. He will probably link you to the relevant threads :lol:

Oepty
31-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Mark Glikman's explanation of the Glicko 2 rating system (http://www.glicko.com/glicko2.doc/example.html)
This should do you Gareth.
Scott

Rincewind
31-03-2004, 07:26 PM
I wrote a short piece on it too which appeared in one of (if not the) last ACFo. I'm sure the timing was pure coincidence. :D

But judge for yourself... http://bjcox.com/downloads/glicko.pdf

arosar
31-03-2004, 07:36 PM
You're quite an interesting character, you know that Barry?

AR

paulb
31-03-2004, 10:55 PM
nice to see that the acf website now has direct links to the state federations-I'm pretty sure they weren't there before-is that right paulb? ps was unsure where to post this so started new thread
No, actually they've been there on the links page for a long time and on the homepage before that.

Lucena
01-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Mark Glikman's explanation of the Glicko 2 rating system (http://www.glicko.com/glicko2.doc/example.html)
This should do you Gareth.
Scott

I was aware that there were websites relating to Glocko system but I meant for example how we apply it specifically to australian chess, if there were any adaptations we use, etc. But I will look at the link in any case

Lucena
01-04-2004, 10:56 AM
By the way are we using glicko 2 now?

Garvinator
01-04-2004, 10:58 AM
yes we are gareth

Lucena
01-04-2004, 10:58 AM
I wrote a short piece on it too which appeared in one of (if not the) last ACFo. I'm sure the timing was pure coincidence. :D

But judge for yourself... http://bjcox.com/downloads/glicko.pdf

yeah thanks that was more what I was looking for

Rincewind
01-04-2004, 11:08 AM

Yep. Glicko 2 is similar to Glicko 1 but the calculations a little more lengthy.

There is one point where it has to find the root of an equation and the standard Glicko approach is to use Newtons method. However, for certain values the Newton method can go into a loop and not find the root. Bill and I have looked out using alternative method for this step and I think Bill uses this updated code in the official rating calculation program. I don't think I've updated my spreadsheet to do this though because it is only in extreme cases that the alternate method is required.

Bill Gletsos
01-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Yep. Glicko 2 is similar to Glicko 1 but the calculations a little more lengthy.

There is one point where it has to find the root of an equation and the standard Glicko approach is to use Newtons method. However, for certain values the Newton method can go into a loop and not find the root. Bill and I have looked out using alternative method for this step and I think Bill uses this updated code in the official rating calculation program. I don't think I've updated my spreadsheet to do this though because it is only in extreme cases that the alternate method is required.
Thats correct Barry.
I changed the code after we discussed.

ursogr8
26-08-2004, 11:55 AM
How do I nominate a favourite son for the ACF Presidents job? Is there a form or something?
starter