PDA

View Full Version : Auckland Chess Centre IM Norm Tournament 2006

om_nzd
20-09-2006, 05:01 PM
The inagural Auckland Chess Centre IM Norm Tournament starts this saturday - a 10 player FIDE rated round robin with IM norms up for grabs.

Confirmed entrants (with April FIDE ratings shown) are:

IM Stephen Solomon (2409)
IM Peter Froehlich (2365)
IM Guy West (2359)
FM Tim Reilly (2293)
FM Stephen Lukey (2282)
Mike Steadman (2262)
Puchen Wang (2259)
FM Robert Smith (2254)
Nic Croad (2243)
FM Bruce Watson (2240)

Details at www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz
Live games at www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/dgt/tfd.htm One round per day, starting at 2pm NZ time.
Archive of each round after they have been completed at www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/dgt/r1/tfd.htm (/r2/ for round 2 etc)

Results to be posted here after each round. A score of 6.5/9 will get an IM norm!

Also running at the same time are the NZ Womens Championship, the NZ Seniors Championship and the IM Qualifier (winner gets entry to the 2007 IM Norm)

Thanks to Gary Bekker for his assistance with the broadcast of games using DGT boards :clap:

Oscar Martin
Auckland Chess Centre

Garrett
20-09-2006, 05:26 PM
cool - I back Solo to win. go Queensland !

MichaelBaron
20-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Good luck to all of the NZ FMs. Hopefully someone will be able to make an IM norm

ER
20-09-2006, 08:35 PM
The inagural Auckland Chess Centre IM Norm Tournament starts this saturday - a 10 player FIDE rated round robin with IM norms up for grabs.

Confirmed entrants (with April FIDE ratings shown) are:

IM Stephen Solomon (2409)
IM Peter Froehlich (2365)
IM Guy West (2359)
FM Tim Reilly (2293)
FM Stephen Lukey (2282)
Mike Steadman (2262)
Puchen Wang (2259)
FM Robert Smith (2254)
Nic Croad (2243)
FM Bruce Watson (2240)

Live games at www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/dgt/tfd.htm One round per day, starting at 2pm NZ time.
Archive of each round after they have been completed at www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/dgt/r1/tfd.htm (/r2/ for round 2 etc)

Results to be posted here after each round. A score of 6.5/9 will get an IM norm!

Also running at the same time are the NZ Womens Championship, the NZ Seniors Championship and the IM Qualifier (winner gets entry to the 2007 IM Norm)

Thanks to Gary Bekker for his assistance with the broadcast of games using DGT boards :clap:

Oscar Martin
Auckland Chess Centre

GUY TO WIN!!!
With no disrespect to other players, I strongly believe that IM Guy West will win this tournament. Having witnessed his latest game (a formidable performance resulting in a fine victory over M. Pecak last Monday at the MCC) I anticipate that he is in very good form. This fact combined with his immence international experience and his everpresent fighting spirit, more than convinces me that Guy will be the winner!

Cheers and good luck!

ER
20-09-2006, 08:37 PM
(thanks to Bill Gletsos's tutorial I can now quote properly)!
cheers and good luck!

Rhubarb
23-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Archive of each round after they have been completed at www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/dgt/r1/tfd.htm (/r2/ for round 2 etc)I think all of these links need an extra 's' in chess. Mod squad? :)

om_nzd
23-09-2006, 12:08 PM
I think all of these links need an extra 's' in chess. Mod squad? :)

You are right - I cant spell "chess"! :whistle: Maybe thats why I cant play so well ;)

Round 1 is now under way at www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/dgt/tfd.htm

Late widthdrawal Puchen Wang, replaced by Graeme Spain

Oscar

Rincewind
23-09-2006, 12:10 PM
I think all of these links need an extra 's' in chess. Mod squad? :)

Fixed... I hope.

om_nzd
23-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Round 1 pairings are:

1. Smith - West
2. Solomon - Froelich
3. Reilly - Steadman
4. Croad - Watson
5. Lukey - Spain

www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/dgt/tfd.htm

& Guy West says hi to Watto

Rhubarb
23-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Oscar, is it just the three DGT boards or is there a problem with the other two boards?

Watto
23-09-2006, 12:58 PM
& Guy West says hi to Wattoo

lol, thanks om_nzd. I say hi back- I'm watching with interest!

om_nzd
23-09-2006, 01:54 PM
There is only 3 DGT boards in operation. (to be more clear what I mean is that we only have 3 boards here :))

Brian_Jones
23-09-2006, 03:11 PM
There is only 3 DGT boards in operation. (to be more clear what I mean is that we only have 3 boards here :))

And Toma is publicising its licencee - the Australian Chess Federation!

antichrist
23-09-2006, 03:37 PM
I can only guess that it was a hefty prizemoney that attracted them across the Tasman?

Kevin Bonham
23-09-2006, 03:49 PM
I assume that Smith has resigned given that he will be mated in 3.

Smith - West

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.f3 Bf5 5.c4 e6 6.dxe6 Nc6 7.Be3 fxe6 8.Nc3 Nb4 9.Rc1 c5 10.d5N exd5 11.cxd5 a6 12.Bg5 Be7 13.d6 Bxd6 14.a3 Qe7+ 15.Kf2 Be5 16.Bc4 Rd8 17.Bd2? Bd4+ 18.Kf1 Nd3 19.Bxd3 Bxd3+ 20.Nge2 0-0 21.Bg5 c4 22.Qd2 h6 23.Bxf6 Rxf6 24.Re1 Rxf3+ 25.gxf3 Qh4 0-1

I suspect ?!s could be liberally attached to White's play between moves 10 and 16 as well.

om_nzd
23-09-2006, 04:57 PM
And Toma is publicising its licencee - the Australian Chess Federation!

Yes, TOMA broadcast licenses were supplied courtesy of Gary Bekker, hence the thanks given to him in the first post

Oscar

om_nzd
23-09-2006, 05:00 PM
I can only guess that it was a hefty prizemoney that attracted them across the Tasman?

Prizemoney is ($NZD)
1st $1250
2nd $850
3rd $550
4th $150

IMs invited to the event are on win bonus incentives, so there will not be any easy points going

Oscar

om_nzd
23-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Round 1 is now under way at www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/dgt/tfd.htm

Round 1 went well, especially given its our first time using DGT boards :)

I forgot to write the full name of the tournament in my first post, it is the George Trundle NZ Masters Tournament. The highest placed NZ player will receive this trophy. George Trundle is a long time supporter of NZ Chess, and we thank him very much for sponsoring this event. Thanks to Bruce Pollard, DOP and arbiter and also to Mike Steadman for organising the tourney.

Round two pairings are:

1. West - Spain
2. Watson - Lukey
3. Steadman - Croad
4. Froehlich - Reilly
5. Smith - Solomon

Oscar

Watto
23-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the info and updates Oscar. much appreciated.

And, yes, the DGT boards worked beautifully... :)

om_nzd
24-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Round 2 is now underway :)

Board number assignments have been changed so that the IM's are on the DGT boards (pairings remain unchanged)

Oscar

Brian_Jones
24-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Oscar, will the results, crosstable, pgn etc be posted somewhere?

MichaelBaron
24-09-2006, 01:55 PM
its 2PM now.

a quick update on the games

West-Spain

Spain's opening strategy was strange...exchanging everything even at the cost of giving Guy positional concessions. Big advantage for white in the Endgame. Probably close to winning

Smith-Solomon

Solo has equalised comfortably. We can probably expect him to try to break through the white's position for the next 100 moves or so :).

White is rock-solid. but against solo, it does not meant easy draw.

Froehlich-Reilly
white has a fairly solid advantage (not as significant as in West-Spain though) and will probably make Tim's life difficult

MichaelBaron
24-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Reilly is getting rolled over...Froehlich is building up the pressure and Tim seems to be having no answers...(white has just played 25.h4)

MichaelBaron
24-09-2006, 02:30 PM
2.35 pm..update

Smith-Solomon

Solomon is pawn down for nothing

West-Spain
white is still much better but may be black will be able to hold

Froehlich-Reilly
Big advantage to white

MichaelBaron
24-09-2006, 02:58 PM
3 pm update.

Froehlich-Reilly
Froehlich is winning

West-Spain

Looks very close to a draw even though white is still a bit better.

Smith-Solo
White is still pawn up for nothing

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Was Solo's 13.f4 just a simple mistake?

ER
24-09-2006, 03:17 PM
GO GUY!!!
Remember you and Melbourne Storm are the last two great remaining hopes for Victoria!
Cheers and good luck!

Brian_Jones
24-09-2006, 03:20 PM
3 pm update. West-Spain Looks very close to a draw even though white is still a bit better.

Nah. West is winning with plan of Rg2, Ke2, Be4, Bf3, Bxg4

MichaelBaron
24-09-2006, 03:43 PM
3.47 pm

Smith-Solom

Smith has made a blunder by missing cxb3. Objectively his position is still ok..but he is likely to go on to lose.

Froehlich-Reilly

white is two pawns up
Reilly will resign any time

West-Spain
White appears to be making no progress..may be draw to come soon

Vlad
24-09-2006, 03:44 PM

I do not agree, by the time white does this, black rook will be harassing queenside pawns.

om_nzd
24-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Oscar, will the results, crosstable, pgn etc be posted somewhere?

Hi Brian, yes they are now online on the IM norm page of our site, http://www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/webcontent/im+norm+tournament.aspx

Dont forget that the games start at 2pm NZ time, which is 12 noon chesschat time (I think)

Oscar

MichaelBaron
24-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Was Solo's 13.f4 just a simple mistake?

Looks like it. He got nothing for the pawn

MichaelBaron
24-09-2006, 03:48 PM

I do not think so...even now (after move 39) when this plan is possible, white can win a pawn..but Rd3-h3 draws for black.

Also black could simply play a5, b4 earlier...and create sufficient counterplay...anyway...my bet is still a draw

MichaelBaron
24-09-2006, 04:05 PM

Spain has just played suisidal e5 against West.

Solomon is now doing ok. Smith should have kept the queens on.

MichaelBaron
24-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Good finish to the round. Hopefully, Auzzies will come back to Australia with a bag full of rating points. Always good to gain rating points overseas and redistribute them locally:owned:

om_nzd
24-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Looked like Smith was giving Solomon trouble for a while, but it wasnt to be..

Full round 2 results were:
Smith - Solomon 0-1
Froehlich - Reilly 1-0
West - Spain 1-0
Watson - Lukey 1-0
Steadman - Croad 0-1

Updated pgn and crosstable will be on the website sometime later :)

Oscar

ER
24-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Oscar you are doing a great job, thanks!
Cheers and good luck!

Kevin Bonham
24-09-2006, 07:12 PM
It's impressive that Solo can win a game like that against an FM despite throwing away a pawn early on. But it doesn't tell us anything we did not already know. :)

om_nzd
25-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Round 3 is about to start, pairings are

1. Solomon - West
2. Reilly - Smith
3. Croad - Froehlich
4. Lukey - Steadman
5. Spain - Watson

Oscar

pax
25-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Any chances of results on the webpage without having to download a .doc file?

om_nzd
25-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Sorry, TOMA has incorrectly recorded moves for the game Reilly - Smith, and I can seem to view the console program (it is still running). We wont stop the TOMA console, this is so that the Solomon - West game continues broadcasting.

The white rook on g7 and black queen on f7 are no longer there, everything else is correct

Last move of Solomon - West was recorded incorrectly, it was Rxd5, draw offered and accepted.

Oscar

Kevin Bonham
25-09-2006, 05:32 PM
I suspected as much. :)

om_nzd
25-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I suspected as much. :)

Yes I dont think Rd6+ would be followed by a draw offer :)

Someone has taken all the score sheets to record them in ChessBase, so I wont be able to fix up the Reilly - Smith game's moves tonight.

Updated pgn and crosstable should be available tomorrow morning.

Oscar

Gattaca
25-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Last move of Solomon - West was recorded incorrectly, it was Rxd5, draw offered and accepted.

Oscar[/QUOTE]

There must be something wrong with the digital board. After 87 Rxd5 there was no draw offer and the game continued 87...Kxd5 88 Kd1! (Solo takes the distant opposition and can thus draw the king and pawn ending a pawn down, with careful play.) 88...Ke6 89 Ke2 Kf5 90 Kf1. The final demonstration that White knows what he is doing, so I agreed to a draw now.

Solo offered me three draws along the way but I felt it was justifiable to make him demonstrate his technique. With the situation reversed he would have done the same thing to me!

By the way, thanks for the support Heaviest Knight. If I'd managed to convert the nice position today I would have been in a very good position to fulfil your controversial prediction :) not to mention $50 richer!

I need to win a prize now as I have quite a few hundred on Topalov at draw odds... :eh:

Garvinator
25-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Disclaimer to my next comments: I am not at the venue, nor have I spoken to anyone who is at the venue or operating the toma display software.

Unfortunately, it seems that the problems of the toma display screen on the operators computer seems to keep occuring. It was a regular problem in Brisbane.
This then means that the operator either has to
1) Shut down the computer, then restart and enter in all the moves in all the games again to catch it up, or 'hope'

2) That the software will keep transmitting the moves and not incorrectly relay an incorrect move.

If the operator chooses the second option, they are then unable to intervene if an incorrect move is transmitted.

om_nzd
26-09-2006, 05:04 AM
There must be something wrong with the digital board. After 87 Rxd5 there was no draw offer and the game continued 87...Kxd5 88 Kd1! (Solo takes the distant opposition and can thus draw the king and pawn ending a pawn down, with careful play.) 88...Ke6 89 Ke2 Kf5 90 Kf1. The final demonstration that White knows what he is doing, so I agreed to a draw now.

Solo offered me three draws along the way but I felt it was justifiable to make him demonstrate his technique. With the situation reversed he would have done the same thing to me!

By the way, thanks for the support Heaviest Knight. If I'd managed to convert the nice position today I would have been in a very good position to fulfil your controversial prediction :) not to mention $50 richer!

I need to win a prize now as I have quite a few hundred on Topalov at draw odds... :eh:

Sorry Guy, yes the board did stop recording moves at that point and also at about the same time you both shook hands and left the board :) I didnt realise you had made so many moves since it stopped recording, sorry about that.

Oscar

om_nzd
26-09-2006, 05:09 AM
Disclaimer to my next comments: I am not at the venue, nor have I spoken to anyone who is at the venue or operating the toma display software.

Unfortunately, it seems that the problems of the toma display screen on the operators computer seems to keep occuring. It was a regular problem in Brisbane.
This then means that the operator either has to
1) Shut down the computer, then restart and enter in all the moves in all the games again to catch it up, or 'hope'

2) That the software will keep transmitting the moves and not incorrectly relay an incorrect move.

If the operator chooses the second option, they are then unable to intervene if an incorrect move is transmitted.

The problem with TOMA yesterday, (apart from the incorrect recording!) was that the program was running, but refused to switch to the foreground .. clicking on the button in the task bar, and using alt-tab did nothing. Since it was still recording Solomon - West ok, I decided to leave it running, didnt want to risk having to enter all moves of both games in order to catch up.

TOMA has been pretty well behaved until yesterday, lets see how it goes today.

Oscar

om_nzd
26-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Round 4 draw is:

1. West - Watson
2. Froehlich - Lukey
3. Solomon - Reilly
4. Steadman - Spain
5. Smith - Croad

Oscar

om_nzd
26-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Photos from the event now are online at http://www.aucklandchesscentre.co.nz/webcontent/photogallery.aspx

Oscar

Watto
26-09-2006, 10:13 AM

Hi Oscar, any chance you could post the field for the Women's Championship? Also, is it only open to NZ women? Couldn't find any info about these other events on the site...
Thanks.

Jean

om_nzd
26-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi Oscar, any chance you could post the field for the Women's Championship? Also, is it only open to NZ women? Couldn't find any info about these other events on the site...
Thanks.

Jean

I'm not sure, but I would image that the Women's champs would be like the NZ Champs - overseas players can play, but cant win the title. I will confirm that for you when I get back to the club :)

I dont have the list of players in front of me, but the top contenders are

Vivian Smith
Sue Mararoa
Natasha Fairley (WFM)
Eachen Chen
Shirley Wu

I will also post the whole list when I get back to the club, and the leaders for each tourney. Currently in the IM norm it is West, Solomon 2.5, followed by Froehlich, Reilly, Croad, Lukey on 2

Oscar

Watto
26-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure, but I would image that the Women's champs would be like the NZ Champs - overseas players can play, but cant win the title. I will confirm that for you when I get back to the club :)

Thanks Oscar. Much appreciated. I might try to enter in the future.

pax
26-09-2006, 11:19 AM
It's a shame that none of the 2300+ players in need of a norm (like Igor) were able to play.

ER
26-09-2006, 12:18 PM

Oscar

I need to win a prize now as I have quite a few hundred on Topalov at draw odds... :eh:[/QUOTE]

Topalov will do a Fischer (Reykjiavik 1972) and win the match :) ! Guy West will do a Guy West and win the tournament! Cheers and good luck! Go Guy go!!!

ER
26-09-2006, 12:21 PM
ops I think I stuffed the quote thing again. And I had a special tutorial by BG last time. :( I hope I will get it right next time though! :)

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 02:32 PM
I am watching round 4 right now..Australian IMs are cleaning up NZ players...I agree with Pax, Auzzie FMs or Bjelbork (who is a NZ citizen but has been living in Aus for many years) would be putting up much tougher resistance

ER
26-09-2006, 02:39 PM
I am watching round 4 right now..Australian IMs are cleaning up NZ players...I agree with Pax, Auzzie FMs or Bjelbork (who is a NZ citizen but has been living in Aus for many years) would be putting up much tougher resistance

Hi Michael, can you provide us with some commentary like you did last time? It was really nice of you!
Cheers and good luck!

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 02:56 PM
It's a shame that none of the 2300+ players in need of a norm (like Igor) were able to play.

Yes Indeed!

It is very rarely that U2300 fide-rated players manage to achieve IM norms (unless they are rapidly-improving juniors of course)

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 02:58 PM
I am watching the West-Watson game now...black has just played 20..h6

At first i thought its a mistake and white has some kind of forced win but I am not able to find anything forced :hmm: In fact, black may end up material up..(unless i am missing something). Very interesting position:rolleyes:

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Solomon-Reilly
23.f6! is both strong and cute:clap:

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 03:03 PM
West is going piece down against Watson..but the position still has a lot of tricks. I guess after hxg5, Guy will move his bishop back and try to create some play along h file

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Some intersting lines come to mind in West's game

hxg5 Qh3 Nh4 Bxg5 Qxg2+

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Solomon-Reilly after move 25...white has some advantage in the endgame.

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Solomon-Reilly is getting really sharp. Black has just won a pawn on a5..but but he is still undeveloped. ..would be interestig to try something like 27.e5!? for white

Desmond
26-09-2006, 03:11 PM
is anyone able to post the pgn here?

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 03:12 PM
West-Watson after 23..Nh4 black appears to be doing well

Garvinator
26-09-2006, 03:13 PM
West-Watson. Black to move:

r4r1k/1b1p1Bb1/p1q3p1/Ppp2np1/8/3P3Q/1PPBR1PP/5R1K b - - 0 2

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 03:16 PM
West-Watson..

still very interesting..black can try 23...Qxe4

also 23...Rxf7 appears to be satisfactory

Garvinator
26-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Michael, Rybka is calling for 23. ... Qd5

Garvinator
26-09-2006, 03:17 PM
r4r1k/1b1p1Bb1/p1q3p1/Ppp3p1/4R2n/3P3Q/1PPB2PP/5R1K b - - 0 3

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Lol both Watson and Solomon appear to be following my commentary

Solo played e5 and Watson captured on f7:D

Garvinator
26-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Lol both Watson and Solomon appear to be following my commentary

Solo played e5 and Watson captured on f7:D
they have chesschat running in the playing hall on a demo screen ;)

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 03:20 PM
A client is coming to my place so I'd better close down the chessboard on my computer. Hopefully,someone will take over the commentary

Vlad
26-09-2006, 04:30 PM
How unfortunate to miss a win in such an ending...

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Interesting finish to West-Watson

Watson appears to be having no plan.
His only chance to win is to try to get his queen to h1, g1 but he does not seem to be attempting to progress in that direction

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 04:56 PM
63....Qe4 is the best try now i think..forcing the rook to move

Carl Gorka
26-09-2006, 05:00 PM
63....Qe4 is the best try now i think..forcing the rook to move

Sorry Michael, I don't understand. 63..Qe4 64.Kg3 = or am I missing something?

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 05:07 PM
67.Kh3 and white is holding on to a draw i think..other moves are losing

Garvinator
26-09-2006, 05:08 PM
67.Kh3 and white is holding on to a draw i think..other moves are losing
agreed drawn on move 66 from the tfd display

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Sorry Michael, I don't understand. 63..Qe4 64.Kg3 = or am I missing something?

probably still a draw...but its the only chance for black..I do not see any other plan for black to try

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 05:13 PM
67.Kh3 Kh7 68.Rf3 draws...probably

Carl Gorka
26-09-2006, 05:14 PM
probably still a draw...but its the only chance for black..I do not see any other plan for black to try

No, agreed. I think it is a draw as Black can't get his king across the f-file, and can't force White's king away from the h4 pawn. White has double plan of Kh3-g3-h3 and also Rf4-f6-f4 when his king is on g3.

Carl Gorka
26-09-2006, 05:17 PM
67.Kh3 Kh7 68.Rf3 draws...probably

68.Rf4 as well, probably

MichaelBaron
26-09-2006, 05:19 PM
The relay appears to be over...may be they agreed to a draw already:hmm:

Carl Gorka
26-09-2006, 05:21 PM
The relay appears to be over...may be they agreed to a draw already:hmm:

It says draw on my screen:D

pax
26-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Interesting finish to West-Watson

Watson appears to be having no plan.
His only chance to win is to try to get his queen to h1, g1 but he does not seem to be attempting to progress in that direction

Once West got his rook to f6 it was a dead draw no?

Carl Gorka
26-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Once West got his rook to f6 it was a dead draw no?

Agreed, see post 82:)

Carl Gorka
26-09-2006, 05:50 PM
This was a really interesting ending. I reckon Black's winning plan consisted of activating his king earlier. Instead of getting a queen straight away with 49..a3, it may have been better to play 49..Kf7. This isn't easy to work out, though. Well played by both players:)

ER
26-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Who's leading the tournament after today's results?
Cheers and good luck!

om_nzd
26-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks.

Jean

Fields for the various tourneys:

IM Qualifier:

1. Donaldson, Bruce 2062
2. Perry, Roger 2102
3. Bennett, Hilton 2111
4. Wheeler, Bruce 2076
5. Goodhue, Nathan 2030
6. Gibbons, Robert 2087
7. Latimer, Bryan 2067
8. Wu, Michael
9. Cheng, Bobby
10. Krstev, Antonio 2113

Womens Champs:

1. Li, Jiapeng 920
2. Tsoi, Nicole 1019
3. Chen, Eachen 1584
4. Liu, Cecily 1213
5. Wu, Sharon 1280
6. Fairley, Natasha 1525
7. Gao, Judy 1327
8. Maroroa, Sue 1560
9. Wu, Shirley 1539
10. Smith, Vivian 1642

Seniors Champs:

1. Taylor, David 959
2. Young, Pat 1513
3. Cruden, Neil 1611
4. Steiner, Michael 1407
5. Mitchell, Bob 1541
6. Lynn, William 1783
7. Otene, Edith 1476
8. Trundle, George 1224

om_nzd
26-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Who's leading the tournament after today's results?
Cheers and good luck!

West and Solomon still lead with 3, and Froehlich has caught up to them as well. Reilly, Croad, Lukey and Watson follow on 2.5.

I will have an updated cross table on the web site soon. Updated pgn is taking longer, many of the games still havent been entered.

Oscar

ER
26-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks Oscar!
Cheers and good luck!

Watto
26-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Fields for the various tourneys:

Thanks Oscar. :clap: :)

om_nzd
27-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Update crosstables and pgn (with most of the games of round 1 - 3) now on the website.

Round 5 pairings are:

1. Croad - Solomon
2. Spain - Froehlich
3. Reilly - West
4. Lukey - Smith
5. Watson - Steadman

Oscar

Desmond
27-09-2006, 09:04 AM
I think that Tim Reilly has has a decent chance of getting a norm.

pax
27-09-2006, 09:54 AM
I think that Tim Reilly has has a decent chance of getting a norm.

I don't know. He needs 4/5from here, which would take a pretty superb performance. He still has to play West, Croad, Lukey, Spain and Watson.

Desmond
27-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't know. He needs 4/5from here, which would take a pretty superb performance. He still has to play West, Croad, Lukey, Spain and Watson.If he gets on the board against West, I'd say he is in with a real shot.

Does anyone know if he has a norm under his belt already?

Watto
27-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Did the IM norms from Queenstown hold up in the end? Lukey was one of the players involved.

om_nzd
27-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Did the IM norms from Queenstown hold up in the end? Lukey was one of the players involved.

The NZ Chess website says "Bjelobrk, Susilodinata and Lukey made IM norms" :)

FIDE site says there are no IM title norms held by any NZ players :( maybe they have yet to be ratified?

Oscar

arosar
27-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Did we not already establish that the Lukey and Bjelobrk norms were not legit?

AR

om_nzd
27-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Did we not already establish that the Lukey and Bjelobrk norms were not legit?

AR

I dont know, I dont tend to follow chesschat too closely ;) Do you have a reference to a post?

Oscar

Bill Gletsos
27-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Did we not already establish that the Lukey and Bjelobrk norms were not legit?The norms were not valid in line with the FIDE regulations in effect at the time the event was held. They would have been valid under the previous regulations. However the new regulations had been in effect for some time so there seemed no reason why the older regulations had any relevance.

Watto
27-09-2006, 11:24 AM
I dont know, I dont tend to follow chesschat too closely ;) Do you have a reference to a post?

Oscar
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1590&page=23&highlight=Queenstown
post 343 by Lukey explains the situation.
(I hadn't heard anything further which is why I asked!)
Given what Bill has posted, FIDE must have ruled that they were not legit.

Bill Gletsos
27-09-2006, 11:59 AM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1590&page=23&highlight=Queenstown
post 343 by Lukey explains the situation.
(I hadn't heard anything further which is why I asked!)
Given what Bill has posted, FIDE must have ruled that they were not legit.I should have been clearer in my previous post.
I was just summarising the discussion on here at the time.
FIDE can be a bit slack at updating their website so you cannot take the fact that the norms are not listed as a sign they were rejected. ;)

Watto
27-09-2006, 12:25 PM
I should have been clearer in my previous post.
I was just summarising the discussion on here at the time.
FIDE can be a bit slack at updating their website so you cannot take the fact that the norms are not listed as a sign they were rejected. ;)
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up Bill. We'll just wait and see.
So, Oscar, there's still hope... maybe.

om_nzd
27-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up Bill. We'll just wait and see.
So, Oscar, there's still hope... maybe.

I wont hold my breath .. hm what happened to my own IM norm application? :cool: :whistle: .. probably some technicality like I havent actually played 5 titled players *in my entire life*

On board 2 Spain goes straight for the throat :) .... Smith-morra accepted with an early knight sac thrown in, this game should be very interesting indeed

Oscar

Brian_Jones
27-09-2006, 12:53 PM
On board 2 Spain goes straight for the throat :) .... Smith-morra accepted with an early knight sac thrown in, this game should be very interesting indeed. Oscar

Looks like Spain gave up a whole piece for very little.

My forecast is a win for Germany!

arosar
27-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Spain is a madman when it comes to the Morra. You should see his game from Wanganui '05 against the former NZCF boss I think it was. Just awesome.

AR

om_nzd
27-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Is Solomon on the ropes? Croad's attack looks promising :)

Garvinator
27-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Is Solomon on the ropes? Croad's attack looks promising :)
rep draw with qh8 etc

Rybka is now saying 17. Qh7 g6 18. Qxg7 Ke8 is 'crushing for white'.

om_nzd
27-09-2006, 02:31 PM
rep draw with qh8 etc

Rybka is now saying 17. Qh7 g6 18. Qxg7 Ke8 is 'crushing for white'.

17 Qh7 wasnt played anyway ;)

Garvinator
27-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Do you mean 17 Qh7 Kf8 18 g6 (something) 19 Qh8#? yes ;) 17. Qh7 Kf7 (Kf8 loses to Qg6) 18. g6 Ke8 19. Qxg7 Bf8 20. Qh8 and white is about 3.00 ahead.

17 Qh7 wasnt played anyway ;) and should been drawn after Rxg5 :)

om_nzd
27-09-2006, 02:45 PM
yes ;) 17. Qh7 Kf7 (Kf8 loses to Qg6) 18. g6 Ke8 19. Qxg7 Bf8 20. Qh8 and white is about 3.00 ahead.

and should been drawn after Rxg5 :)

Am I missing something? after Solo's 19 .. Nf3+ white king moves (eg Ke1) and who is going to stop white queen mating on h8? [edit] ah ok I see know :p

pax
27-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Am I missing something? after Solo's 19 .. Nf3+ white king moves (eg Ke1) and who is going to stop white queen mating on h8?

I think he can only play Bh4 to delay the inevitable. I don't think Solo has been crushed like this in a long time.

Garvinator
27-09-2006, 03:07 PM
I think he can only play Bh4 to delay the inevitable. I don't think Solo has been crushed like this in a long time.
on move 19 black had to find Nxg6 20. Qxg6 Qf8! 21. Rh3 Qf6 and white repeats with Qe8.

om_nzd
27-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Looks like Spain gave up a whole piece for very little.

My forecast is a win for Germany!

Spain picks up a draw with a nice little back row tactic

Watto
27-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Are you sure Solomon won’t wriggle out of this game? Croad really hasn’t driven home the attack all that well...

Or am I wrong? (more than possible ;))

Garvinator
27-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Are you sure Solomon won’t wriggle out of this game? Croad really hasn’t driven home the attack all that well...

Or am I wrong? (more than possible ;))
it does seem that Croan is out of ideas :doh:

pax
27-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Hmm. Not sure why he was repeating moves when Solo is the one short on time.

MichaelBaron
27-09-2006, 06:13 PM
I think this round showed the differences between IM and FM understanding of chess and attitudes.

Croad had a winning endgame against Solo but could not win due to lack of technique.

Reilly and the NZ guy who was white against Froehlich both agreed to a draw in better positions (slightly better endgames). It is either fear of IMs or lack of positional understanding that makes the difference :hmm:

Gattaca
27-09-2006, 09:48 PM

LMFAO :lol: Solo gets crushed like this on a regular basis... but usually instead of just drawing he goes on to win... When I saw he was only the exchange down and not mated I thought he'd probably only draw. Later when he was just two pawns down in a rook ending I actually got a bit worried that Solo might win somehow.

Michael, was Reilly better when we repeated position? I wasn't sure how strong his threat of b5 was, but it looked unpleasant. I thought maybe ...Rd8! in the final position is okay, but didn't want to risk losing. I already had a nasty shock having prepared for white vs Froelich and finding out I had the day wrong! So I went into the game totally unprepared. (Unless you count 35 years of playing chess as preparation) When we agreed the draw Tim was a bit distressed because of persistent hammering from next door and looked like he might spit the dummy. It would have been a shame if he lost an equal position and possible IM norm because of a distraction.

I am stuck here with a laptop that has insufficient RAM and having to use Hiarcs instead of Fritz... it takes a long time to come up with any kind of useful evaluation. For example it thinks KR and 4 pawns is +- against KR and 3 pawns on the same side! It also couldn't see that my fortress against Watson holds and said I was -3.35 for about 15 moves.

Re Spain's piece sac, it was a prepared variation. I thought it looked quite unsound at the time, but apparently he is the leading expert in the known universe on the Morra Gambit. The New Zealand players seem more booked up than the Aussies so far, but often in offbeat lines.

Gattaca
27-09-2006, 10:45 PM
By the way, if any of you Aussies with a decent database can tell me what Mike Steadman plays as black against 1e4 in the last couple of years it would be much appreciated!

om_nzd
28-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Round 6 draw is:

Solomon - Lukey
West - Steadman
Froehlich - Watson
Smith - Spain
Reilly - Croad

West, Solomon and Froehlich are still leading, now on 3.5 followed by Croad and Reilly on 3

Oscar

pax
28-09-2006, 09:23 AM
[Event "NZL-ch64 corr"]
[Site "New Zealand"]
[Date "1997.??.??"]
[Round "0"]
[White "Vetharaniam,Prince AR"]
[Black "Steadman,Michael VR"]
[Result "0-1"]
[Eco "C34"]

1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 d6 4.d3 g5 5.h4 g4 6.Ng1 Bh6 7.Bd2 Nc6 8.Nc3 Be6 9.Nge2 Qf6 10.Qc1 f3 11.Nf4 Bxf4 12.Bxf4 Nd4 13.g3 h6 14.Kf2 Ne7 15.Nb1 0-0-0 16.c3 Ndc6 17.d4 d5 18.Nd2 dxe4 19.Nxe4 Qg6 20.Bd3 Bf5 21.Qc2 Rhe8 22.Rhe1 Kb8 23.Nc5 Bxd3 24.Qxd3 Qxd3 25.Nxd3 Nf5 26.b4 Nce7 27.Ne5 Nd5 28.Bd2 Nd6 29.c4 Nf6 30.Bf4 Nfe4+ 31.Kf1 f5 32.a4 Nc3 33.Bxh6 Nde4 34.Bf4 Rxe5 35.Ra3

[Event "Auckland Summer Cup-A"]
[Site "Auckland"]
[Date "1998.??.??"]
[Round "2"]
[White "Kulashko,Aleksei"]
[Black "Steadman,Michael"]
[Result "0-1"]
[Eco "B01"]
1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5 4.d4 c6 5.Nf3 Nf6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.Bd2 e6 8.Ne4 Qc7
9.Ng3 Bg6 10.Ne5 Nbd7 11.Qe2 Nxe5 12.dxe5 Nd5 13.Bb3 0-0-0 14.h4 h6 15.h5 Bh7 16.Rh4 Bc5
17.Rg4 g5 18.hxg6 Bxg6 19.Rh4 Qe7 20.Rxh6 Rxh6 21.Bxh6 Qh4 22.Bd2 Qh2 23.0-0-0 Qxg2 24.Be1 Kc7
25.Qd2 Qf3 26.c4 Bb4 27.Qe2 Qf4+ 28.Bd2 Bxd2+ 29.Qxd2 Qxd2+ 30.Rxd2 Nb4 31.Rxd8 Kxd8 32.f4 Nd3+
33.Kd2 Nxf4 34.Ke3 Nd3 35.Ne4 Nxe5 36.Nd6 Kc7 37.c5 Nd7 38.Kd4 Nxc5 39.Ne8+ Kd8 40.Kxc5 Kxe8
41.Kd6 Be4 42.a4 Bd5 43.Bc2 Kd8 44.b4 f5 45.Ke5 Ke7 46.Bd3 b6 47.Be2 c5 48.bxc5 bxc5
49.a5 c4 50.Bd1 Be4 51.Kd4 Bd3 0-1

[Event "Auckland Summer Cup-A"]
[Site "Auckland"]
[Date "1998.??.??"]
[Round "4"]
[White "Perry,Roger"]
[Result "Line"]
[Eco "B01"]
1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5 4.Nf3 Nf6 5.Be2 Bf5 6.b4 Qb6 7.0-0 e6 8.Rb1 Nbd7
9.b5 Be7 10.a4 0-0 11.Nh4 Qd4 12.Nxf5 exf5 13.Bb2 Rad8 14.Bf3 Qf4 15.g3 Qh6 16.Re1 Bd6
17.Nd5 Nxd5 18.Bxd5 f4 19.Qg4 fxg3 20.hxg3 Nf6 21.Bxf6 Qxf6 22.Bxb7 Bc5 23.Re2 g6 24.Qf3 Qg5
25.d3 Rd6 26.Kg2 h5 27.Rh1 Rfd8 28.Bc6 Rf6 29.Qe4 Re6 30.Qf3 Rf6 Line

[Event "NZCCA TT res corr9899"]
[Site "New Zeeland"]
[Date "1998.??.??"]
[Round "0"]
[White "Dunn,Alan S"]
[Result "1/2"]
[Eco "B01"]
1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5 4.d4 c6 5.Nf3 Nf6 6.Bc4 Bf5 7.Bd2 e6 8.Nd5 Qd8
9.Nxf6+ Qxf6 10.Qe2 Bg4 11.d5 Bxf3 12.gxf3 cxd5 13.Bxd5 Nc6 14.0-0-0 Ba3 15.c3 Be7 16.Be4 0-0
17.h4 h6 18.Rdg1 Rfc8 19.Bc2 Qe5 20.Qxe5 Nxe5 21.Bxh6 Bf6 22.f4 Nc4 23.Bg5 Bxg5 24.fxg5 b5
25.h5 a5 26.h6 g6 27.Rd1 Rc5 28.f4 b4 29.h7+ 1/2

[Site "New Zeeland"]
[Date "1998.??.??"]
[Round "0"]
[White "Mold,Chris A"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Eco "B01"]
1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5 4.d4 c6 5.Nf3 Nf6 6.Bd2 Bf5 7.Bc4 e6 8.Qe2 Bb4
9.Ne5 Nbd7 10.Nxd7 Kxd7 11.0-0-0 b5 12.Bb3 Rab8 13.f3 Qb6 14.a3 Bxc3 15.Bxc3 a5 16.Be1 Rhd8
17.h4 h5 18.Rg1 Nd5 19.g4 Bg6 20.gxh5 Nf4 21.Qe5 1-0

[Site "New Zeeland"]
[Date "1998.??.??"]
[Round "0"]
[White "Roberts,Earl N"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Eco "D00"]
1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 e6 6.Bg5 Be7 7.Bd3 Nc6 8.Qd2 h6
9.Be3 Nb4 10.Bc4 Nbd5 11.0-0 Nxe3 12.Qxe3 0-0 13.Ne5 Nd5 14.Qf3 Nxc3 15.bxc3 Bf6 16.Ng4 Bg5
17.g3 Qe8 18.h4 Be7 19.h5 Bg5 20.Ne5 Rb8 21.a4 Qe7 22.Qe4 c5 23.Rf2 Qd6 24.Raf1 f6
25.Kh2 a6 26.Qg6 Qe7 27.Nf3 Bd7 28.Nxg5 fxg5 29.Bd3 1-0

[Event "BCF-ch 88th"]
[Site "Scarborough"]
[Date "2001.07.02"]
[Round "5"]
[White "Lyell,Mark"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Eco "C02"]
1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3 Qb6 6.a3 c4 7.Nbd2 Na5 8.Be2 Bd7
9.0-0 0-0-0 10.Re1 h6 11.Rb1 Ne7 12.Nf1 Nb3 13.Bf4 Ba4 14.N3d2 Nxd2 15.Qxd2 Nc6 16.Bh5 Rd7
17.Re2 Qd8 18.h3 g6 19.Bf3 g5 20.Be3 f5 21.exf6 Qxf6 22.Ng3 Bd6 23.Nh5 Qg6 24.Rbe1 Ne7
25.Bg4 Nf5 26.f3 Re7 27.Bf2 Bd7 28.Bxf5 Qxf5 29.Bg3 Bxg3 30.Nxg3 Qg6 31.Re5 Rf7 32.R1e2 Rg8
33.Qc2 Qxc2 34.Rxc2 Kc7 35.Rce2 Kd6 36.Kh2 Rf6 37.Nh5 Rf5 38.Rxf5 exf5 39.f4 Re8 40.Re5 Rxe5
41.fxe5+ Ke7 42.h4 Be6 43.Kg3 Kf7 44.hxg5 hxg5 45.Nf6 b6 46.Kf3 Kg6 47.Ke3 Kf7 48.Kd2 Kg6
49.g3 Kf7 50.Kd1 Kg6 51.Kc2 Kf7 52.b3 cxb3+ 53.Kxb3 Kg6 54.Kc2 Kf7 55.Kd2 Kg6 56.Ke3 Kf7
57.Kd2 Kg6 58.Ne8 Kf7 59.Nc7 Ke7 60.Nb5 a5 61.Nc7 Kd7 62.Nxe6 Kxe6 63.a4 Kd7 64.Kd3 Kc6
65.c4 f4 66.gxf4 gxf4 67.e6 dxc4+ 68.Kxc4 f3 69.Kd3 Kd6 70.d5 Ke7 71.Ke3 b5 72.axb5 a4
73.b6 a3 74.b7 a2 75.b8=Q a1=Q 76.Qc7+ Kf6 77.Qf7+ Kg5 78.Qxf3 Qe5+ 79.Kf2 Qb2+ 80.Kg3 Qb8+
81.Kg2 Qb2+ 82.Kh1 Qh8+ 83.Kg2 Qb2+ 84.Qf2 Qb4 85.Qg3+ Kf5 86.Qf3+ Ke5 87.Qe2+ Kf6 88.Qf3+ Ke5
89.Qe3+ Kf6 90.Kf3 Ke7 91.Qa7+ Kf6 92.Qf7+ Ke5 93.e7 Qe4+ 94.Kg3 Qe3+ 95.Kh4 Qe1+ 96.Kg5 Qg3+
97.Kh6 Qe3+ 98.Kg7 Qg5+ 99.Kf8 Kd6 100.e8=Q Qh6+ 101.Qg7 Qf4+ 102.Qef7 Qa4 103.Qe7+ Kxd5 104.Qge5+ Kc4
105.Q7c5+ Kb3 106.Qee3+ Ka2 107.Qd2+ 1-0

[Event "BCF-ch 88th"]
[Site "Scarborough"]
[Date "2001.07.02"]
[Round "8"]
[White "McDonnell,James J"]
[Result "0-1"]
[Eco "B01"]
1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5 4.d4 Nf6 5.Nf3 Bf5 6.Bc4 c6 7.0-0 Nbd7 8.Bd2 Qb6
9.Bb3 e6 10.h3 h6 11.a3 Be7 12.Re1 g5 13.Be3 Qc7 14.Bc4 0-0-0 15.Nd2 Nb6 16.Be2 Nbd5
17.Nxd5 Nxd5 18.Nf1 Nf4 19.Bf3 h5 20.c3 g4 21.hxg4 hxg4 22.Bxg4 Bxg4 23.Qxg4 Nh3+ 24.gxh3 Rdg8
25.Kg2 f5 26.Qxg8+ Rxg8+ 27.Kf3 Qa5 28.Bf4 Qd5+ 29.Ke2 Qe4+ 30.Be3 f4 31.Nd2 Qf5 0-1

[Event "Oceania zt"]
[Site "Auckland"]
[Date "2005.01.30"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Stojic,Svetozar"]
[Result "0-1"]
[Eco "C02"]
1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3 Bd7 6.a3 f6 7.Bd3 Qc7 8.0-0 0-0-0
9.Bf4 h6 10.b4 g5 11.Bg3 f5 12.h3 c4 13.Bxf5 exf5 14.e6 f4 15.exd7+ Qxd7 16.Bh2 Bd6
17.Re1 Re8 18.Rxe8+ Qxe8 19.Nbd2 Qg6 20.Qa4 Nf6 21.b5 Nb8 22.Ne5 Qh7 23.Ndf3 Ne4 24.Rc1 Qf5
25.Qxa7 h5 26.Qb6 Rg8 27.a4 g4 28.Nh4 Qf6 29.Nhg6 g3 30.fxg3 fxg3 31.Bxg3 Nxg3 32.Re1 Rxg6
33.Nxg6 Qxg6 34.a5 Nd7 35.Qa7 Bb8 36.Qa8 Ne4 37.Re3 Qg5 38.Rf3 Qc1+ 39.Rf1 Qe3+ 0-1

ER
28-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Psssst Guy
The material I pm ed you is all 2006 ;)
Cheers and good luck!

om_nzd
28-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Sorry, we are having some troubles with the TOMA console, transmission will resume ASAP

Oscar

Brian_Jones
28-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Sorry, we are having some troubles with the TOMA console, transmission will resume ASAP

Oscar

And the results of the other games from round 5 were?

om_nzd
28-09-2006, 12:40 PM
And the results of the other games from round 5 were?

Round 5 results were:

1. Croad - Solomon 1/2 - 1/2
2. Spain - Froehlich 1/2 - 1/2
3. Reilly - West 1/2 - 1/2
4. Lukey - Smith 0 - 1
5. Watson - Steadman 0 - 1

om_nzd
28-09-2006, 12:47 PM

Oscar

DOP Bruce Pollard has done a great job in getting TOMA back up and running again :)

Oscar

MichaelBaron
28-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Update.

West-Steadman
Black's position is looking solid

Solo is going to win a pawn
Froehlich is having a clear edge

MichaelBaron
28-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Correction, I may have underestimated West's position : he is getting an attack

DoroPhil
28-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Wasn't 17. Nxf7 just a simple win for West? I don't have a Fritz here or anything but it seems pretty straightforward. Was there some sort of a relaying mistake made?

ER
28-09-2006, 02:51 PM
As long as it is a gattack its ok! Go Guy!
Cheers and good luck

ER
28-09-2006, 02:59 PM
i mean gattattack sorry :)

ER
28-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Wow what a lovely check!!!

ER
28-09-2006, 03:15 PM
followed by Bg6!! pure class!
Cheers and good luck!

ER
28-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Nd7 wins, Bc5 wins!

ER
28-09-2006, 03:26 PM
lol Guy played both of my moves! :)

ER
28-09-2006, 03:58 PM
And won of course! :)
Cheers and good luck!

Gattaca
28-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Psssst Guy
The material I pm ed you is all 2006 ;)
Cheers and good luck!

Many thanks to Tasso, Pax, Watto and Ian for the help with preparation. It may not look like allowing equality for black on move 4 constitutes preparation but actually just knowing what I'd be facing was a great help psychologically. :P

Yes, 17 Nxf7! wins two pawns. I looked at it for ages but had a mental aberration, forgetting that my bishop when it takes on d6 cuts the defence of his knight and so he has no time for dxc3.

I also thought for a long time about the sound double piece sacrifice 24 Bxh6 gxh6 25 Nxf7! :clap: but was worried that by declining the second piece he might make it a bit messy... and my time was running down. I thought 24 Qg3 was stronger than it was so decided to be pragmatic.

om_nzd
29-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Round 7 draw:

Croad - West
Lukey - Reilly
Spain - Solomon
Watson - Smith
Steadman - Froehlich

Round 6 results:

West - Steadman 1 - 0
Froehlich - Watson 1/2 - 1/2
Smith - Spain 1/2 - 1/2
Solomon - Lukey, Stephen 1 - 0
Reilly - Croad 1 - 0

West & Solomon lead on 4.5, followed by Reilly & Froehlich on 4 - the visitors have opened a gap on the field for the first time, with the next highest score being 3 for Watson & Croad

Oscar

om_nzd
29-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Updated crosstables are on the website now

Congratulations to Bob Mitchell the 2006 NZ Seniors Champion, 2nd equal were David Taylor and Neil Cruden

Oscar

MichaelBaron
29-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Round 7...Australians continue to dominate the field:clap:

om_nzd
29-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Updated cross tables and pgn now on the website :)

Round 8 pairings:

West - Froehlich
Smith - Steadman
Solomon - West
Reilly - Spain
Croad - Lukey

Round 7 results:

Croad, Nicholas 0 - 1 West, Guy
Lukey, Stephen 0 - 1 Reilly, Tim
Spain, Graeme 0 - 1 Solomon, Stephen
Watson, Bruce ½ - ½ Smith, Robert
Steadman, Mike ½ - ½ Froehlich, Peter

Congratulations to Sue Mararoa, the 2006 NZ Womens Champion, 2nd equal were Eachen Chen, Shirley Wu and Judy Gao.

Solomon and West are still leading the NZ Masters on 5.5, followed by Tim Reilly on 5

Oscar

Watto
30-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Updated cross tables and pgn now on the website :)

Round 8 pairings:

West - Froehlich
Smith - Steadman
Solomon - West
Reilly - Spain
Croad - Lukey

hmmm, so Topalov and Kramnik think they've got something to complain about... they should try this. stand up for yourself West! ;)

Garvinator
30-09-2006, 01:48 PM
hmmm, so Topalov and Kramnik think they've got something to complain about... they should try this. stand up for yourself West! ;)
well at least the advertised on here pairings will cut down on the time West can spend in the toilet ;)

Watto
30-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Oscar, if you're there, please say hi and congratulations to Guy on the win today. :)

Also, at half time the Eagles are leading the Swans by 25 points...

Bad news is the Eagles have completely dominated possession and all stats (except clangers!). Good news is that they're not further ahead!

EDIT: Final scores: Eagles 85 Swans 84

om_nzd
30-09-2006, 05:23 PM

Um yes, that was actually Solomon - Watson :)

Round 8 results were:

West, Guy 1 - 0 Froehlich, Peter
Smith, Robert 1 - 0 Steadman, Mike
Solomon, Stephen ˝ - ˝ Watson, Bruce
Reilly, Tim ˝ - ˝ Spain, Graeme
Croad, Nicholas 0 - 1 Lukey, Stephen

Round 9 draw is:

Lukey, Stephen - West, Guy
Spain, Graeme - Croad, Nicholas
Watson, Bruce - Reilly, Tim
Steadman, Mike - Solomon, Stephen
Froehlich, Peter - Smith, Robert

Solomon's draw with Watson means that West sneaks into the lead on 6.5. Solomon follows on 6, and Reilly on 5.5

Oscar

Kevin Bonham
30-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Solomon's draw with Watson means that West sneaks into the lead on 6.5. Solomon follows on 6, and Reilly on 5.5

Does that mean Reilly gets an IM norm if he can beat Watson with Black in the final round?

MichaelBaron
30-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Does that mean Reilly gets an IM norm if he can beat Watson with Black in the final round?

I think 6.5/9 is definitely an IM norm

Gattaca
30-09-2006, 06:48 PM
I think 6.5/9 is definitely an IM norm

So I can make an IM norm by losing to Lukey??

ER
30-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Um yes, that was actually Solomon - Watson :)

Round 8 results were:

West, Guy 1 - 0 Froehlich, Peter

Oscar

Told you from the beginning, Guy and Melbourne Storm were Victoria's only chances! (Melbourne Victory is doing well but it's too early yet:) )
Go Guy!
Go the Storm!
Go Victoria!!!

Cheers and good luck to all!

om_nzd
01-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Daylight savings starts today here in NZ :) So for those of you watching in Aus, the games will start one hour early than usual ... for those of you playing, dont forget to turn up on time ;)

Oscar

om_nzd
01-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Must win games ....

- West needs to win today to ensure the tourney win
- Solomon needs to win today to have a chance of catching West (if West fails to win)
- Reilly needs a win today to make an IM norm
- Watson needs to win today to win the George Trundle NZ masters trophy (as highest NZ player)
- Smith needs to win today to have a change of catching Watson (if Watson fails to win)

... and one of the matchups is between two "must win" players, board 3 is Watson - Reilly :)

Oscar

MichaelBaron
01-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Good luck to Tim.

I think we need to ask New Zealaneders to hold more IM norm events and send more Aussie FMs to NZ...

om_nzd
01-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Must win games ....

- West needs to win today to ensure the tourney win
- Solomon needs to win today to have a chance of catching West (if West fails to win)
- Reilly needs a win today to make an IM norm
- Watson needs to win today to win the George Trundle NZ masters trophy (as highest NZ player)
- Smith needs to win today to have a chance of catching Watson (if Watson fails to win)

... and one of the matchups is between two "must win" players, board 3 is Watson - Reilly :)

Smith has beaten Froehlich and given himself a chance of winning the George Trundle NZ Master trophy
Solomon beats Steadman, which means Solomon and West will be first equal if West draws with Lukey

West has drawn with Lukey, so winners of the inagural George Trundle NZ Masters tournament are Guy West and Stephen Solomon on 7/9, congratulations to both of them :)

Watto
01-10-2006, 04:12 PM
And Reilly's just got his IM norm. :)

Garvinator
01-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Does anyone know how many IM norms that makes for him?

MichaelBaron
01-10-2006, 04:18 PM
I think Reilly has made a lot of IM norms over the years. When I came to Australia (1991) he already had a few norms under his belt. The main problem for him now is to get his rating to 2400.

om_nzd
01-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Final Results:

1st= West, Solomon 7/9
3rd Reilly 6.5/9
4th= Froehlich, Smith 4.5/9

Bob Smith was the highest placed NZ player, and wins the George Trundle NZ Masters trophy

Qualifiers result:

1st Hilton Bennett 6.5/9
2nd= Bruce Wheeler, Bobby Cheng 6/9

Hilton Bennett wins the qualifiers spot in next years tourney

Congratulations to all, the tournament was a great success and will definately be repeated next year :)

Thanks to:

George Trundle - Sponsor
Bruce Pollard - DOP
Mike Steadman - Organiser

Updated cross tables are on the website, full pgn will be available soon :)

Oscar

pax
03-10-2006, 08:45 AM

Superb job. I take it all back :)