PDA

View Full Version : World Championships 2004

Pages : [1] 2

Oepty
23-03-2004, 11:13 AM
On the FIDE website it states that the World Championships will be held from June 18 to July 13 in Tripoli, Lybia. This is a very interesting choice of venue, although Lybia seems to be have better relations than the west. I certainly would not be to keen to go there. Does anyone know whether Zone 3.2b (our zone) gets to send anyone. If so who? Johansen won the last zonal, but did not get to compete anywhere for winning it. Would he get to go if he wanted to, or would there need to be a new Zonal.

Scott

Bill Gletsos
23-03-2004, 12:10 PM
As far as I know Darryl having won the last Oceania Zonal is eligible to play in the Championship in Libya

eclectic
23-03-2004, 03:06 PM
On the FIDE website it states that the World Championships will be held from June 18 to July 13 in Tripoli, Lybia. This is a very interesting choice of venue, although Lybia seems to be have better relations than the west. I certainly would not be to keen to go there. Does anyone know whether Zone 3.2b (our zone) gets to send anyone. If so who? Johansen won the last zonal, but did not get to compete anywhere for winning it. Would he get to go if he wanted to, or would there need to be a new Zonal.

Scott
scott,

note too that malta is an ancillary venue to cater for those who do not wish to set foot in libya for political or religious reasons

the fide president is apparently to approach qaddafi (spelling?) to provide visas for three israelis who DO wish to play in libya itself and to pay for or share costs for the above malta arrangement

eclectic

samspade
24-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Alternative arrangements aside, I just think the choice of Libya to host is absurd.

PHAT
24-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Alternative arrangements aside, I just think the choice of Libya to host is surely absurd.

Why?

Oepty
02-04-2004, 02:19 PM
FIDE have released the list of players for there next championships on their website. The also have published regulations although they seem to be out of date, surprise, surprise. Anyway Darryl Johansen is amoung the Asian qualifier. They also seem to have invited all of the top players excluding Kasparov because they were either semifinalists at the lastest KO or are amoung the top twenty with ratings. The regulations say that this list was worked out using the average of the July 2002 and January 2003 rating lists. I hope not although I haven't checked the figures. For some reason though Zvjaginsev is shown on top of the list, not Kasparov. Perhaps Kasparov has already said he is not playing so they just slotted Zvjaginsev in at the top not the bottom of the list. It appears they have invited Kramnik and Leko.

Scott Colliver

Rincewind
02-04-2004, 03:23 PM
FIDE have released the list of players for there next championships on their website. The also have published regulations although they seem to be out of date, surprise, surprise. Anyway Darryl Johansen is amoung the Asian qualifier. They also seem to have invited all of the top players excluding Kasparov because they were either semifinalists at the lastest KO or are amoung the top twenty with ratings. The regulations say that this list was worked out using the average of the July 2002 and January 2003 rating lists. I hope not although I haven't checked the figures. For some reason though Zvjaginsev is shown on top of the list, not Kasparov. Perhaps Kasparov has already said he is not playing so they just slotted Zvjaginsev in at the top not the bottom of the list. It appears they have invited Kramnik and Leko.

What would have happened if Kasparov had entered and won it? :hmm:

arosar
02-04-2004, 03:28 PM
You seem to be a keen expert on WC matters Scott. So lemme ask you mate. You reckon Euwe fluked it against Alekhine?

AR

Bill Gletsos
02-04-2004, 04:04 PM

Scott Colliver
Kasparov does not have to play as he is guaranteed a match with the winner of the KO for the FIDE World Championship title. The winner of that is then supposed to play the winner of the Krammnik/Leko match.

Bill Gletsos
02-04-2004, 04:15 PM
The regulations say that this list was worked out using the average of the July 2002 and January 2003 rating lists. I hope not although I haven't checked the figures.
The regulations are correct. You have to remember when these championships were originally scheduled and when the qualifiers originally qualified.

For some reason though Zvjaginsev is shown on top of the list, not Kasparov. Perhaps Kasparov has already said he is not playing so they just slotted Zvjaginsev in at the top not the bottom of the list.
That is indeed correct.

It appears they have invited Kramnik and Leko.
Well they qualify by rating and had not at that time announced they would not compete.

I suspect a number of players will decline the invitation and be replaced by others.

Garvinator
02-04-2004, 05:11 PM
It appears they have invited Kramnik and Leko.

Scott Colliver
now why in the hell would kramnik and leko need or want to play in the ko, they already have a match to worry about for the world championship semi final, i hope they arent trying to get two bites at the cherry :whistle:

Oepty
03-04-2004, 01:21 PM
arosar, I have no idea. I am an expert in nothing in chess, especially not the relative strength of past world championships

Bill. You are correct the regulations are not out of date, as I found out when I had more that a glance through them, just stupid. There is absolutely no reason the July 2002 and January 2003 ratings should be used, they are out of date. I also think the April rating list should be used, not the January list. They are not obeying their own rules which are in the FIDE handbook that state the April list should be used for tournaments starting in June.

Scott

Rincewind
03-04-2004, 01:59 PM
You seem to be a keen expert on WC matters Scott. So lemme ask you mate. You reckon Euwe fluked it against Alekhine?

There are a couple of theories.

(1) Alekhine was "unmotivated" (ie drinking too heavily) at the time
(2) Alekhine repaied Euwe for something (perhaps friendship) by gifting him the WCh
(3) Alekhine was being pressured by an outside agency
(4) Euwe was a better player

They're roughly in descending order of likelihood IMHO.

chesslover
15-04-2004, 09:22 PM
The number 1 tournament this year, the world champs, will take place in Libya this year. It will take place from June 18 to July 13

The winner will be the chess world champion, or to be more precise the FIDE World Champion.

There is trouble brewing already. The Association of Chess Professionals (ACP) has published a message to qualified participants of the 2004 World Chess Championship, not to hurry to sign the Players Undertaking and furthermore that the ACP has developed its own contract for the Championship.

FIDE has retailated by saying that the deadline for return of the Players Undertaking (April 21, 2004) will not be extended, and only those players who, within the deadline, sign and return to FIDE the Players Undertaking which is published and distributed by FIDE will be accepted to participate in the WCC.

The choice of Libya is controversial too with Isreali players and players who have been to Israel not being allowed to enter Libya

Will be fascinating to see what happens :eek:

chesslover
15-04-2004, 09:27 PM
This is the full list of the 128 players who will be playing in the world champs, and the 12 reserves if anyone drops out

http://www.fide.com/news.asp?id=412

Johansen is representing us

Aussie Aussie Aussie ....oi oi oi !!!!!

Garvinator
19-04-2004, 09:57 AM
speaking of the world chess championships, get a load of this- articles have appeared on www.chessbase.com stating that the womens world chess championships is in danger of falling over. http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1586

Bill Gletsos
30-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Well it looks like 10 of the top 16 including 7 of the top 10 are not playing. They are Kasparov, Anand, Krammnik, Leko, Svidler, Polgar, Ponomariov, Gelfand, Shirov and Bareev.

So it looks like whoever wins will get creamed by Kasparov.

Lucena
01-05-2004, 01:37 AM
speaking of the world chess championships, get a load of this- articles have appeared on www.chessbase.com stating that the womens world chess championships is in danger of falling over. http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1586

Ian was saying similar things in one of his columns-hey if they play their cards right FIDE could have TWO world championship debacles on their hands :clap: :clap: :owned: :wall: :doh:

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Well it looks like 10 of the top 16 including 7 of the top 10 are not playing. They are Kasparov, Anand, Krammnik, Leko, Svidler, Polgar, Ponomariov, Gelfand, Shirov and Bareev.

So it looks like whoever wins will get creamed by Kasparov.

I'm trying to even remember who's left without that lot. Adams, Morozevich and Topalov spring to mind.

If it really is that bad, it's pathetic. Even by FIDE Fake World Championship standards. :rolleyes:

Note to all: I've merged the other WC thread off the tournament news and results with this one. The posts appear in chronological order but it will read oddly if you try to read the full merged thread in order. chesslover's 15/04 posts were the start of the (sub)merged thread.

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2004, 03:57 PM
As well as those mentioned by Bill the only others to decline were Karpov, Kaidanov and Benjamin. The remaining 115/128 invitees accepted.

Ponomariov has been pushing for a 1948-style supertournament involving Kasparov, Kramnik, Leko, Anand, himself and the FFWC winner to resolve the world title. Not going to happen. The problem with Pono is that he doesn't seem to have woken up to the fact that his FFWC title means zip unless he defends it - by not defending it he is only the former holder of an unconvincing title.

I sincerely hope FIDE gets this unification process right and this is the last of these stupid knockouts that they ever attempt to promote as a world championship. The field for this one would have to be the weakest ever.

Bill Gletsos
01-05-2004, 10:31 PM
FIDE has just annouinced that the Womens Championship has now been transferred to Elista in Kalmykia.

Garvinator
01-05-2004, 10:40 PM
FIDE has just annouinced that the Womens Championship has now been transferred to Elista in Kalmykia.
kalmykia, that is so much better, not :whistle:

Trent Parker
06-05-2004, 02:39 PM
kalmykia, that is so much better, not :whistle:

It probably will be. Mr fide President comes from there.(according to the latest ACF bulletin.

Trent Parker
06-05-2004, 02:41 PM

AR

It was the drink that got Alekhine.

samspade
07-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Why?
:arrow: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1630 (http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1630)

Alan Shore
07-05-2004, 05:57 PM
:arrow: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1630 (http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1630)

That's despicable, holding an event in a country discriminating against people just for being from a nation they don't like. Truly some parts of the world still live in the dark ages.

PHAT
07-05-2004, 09:29 PM
That's despicable, holding an event in a country discriminating against people just for being from a nation they don't like. Truly some parts of the world still live in the dark ages.

:clap:

samspade
07-05-2004, 09:38 PM
:clap:So does that mean you agree now that the choice of Libya was ridiculous

PHAT
07-05-2004, 09:51 PM
So does that mean you agree now that the choice of Libya was ridiculous

Ummm, I don't recall saying anything positive or negtive about Libya as a choice. FWIW, I don't think all this will have any longterm seriously adverse effect on chess. A bunch of nasty Arabs shun bunch nasty Zionists [big yawn]

Actually what I was applauding was what I thought/think was BD's oblique reference to the appauling methods Australia has used to "handle" asylum seekers.

Bill Gletsos
07-05-2004, 10:55 PM
According to the FIDE web site:

World Chess Championship 2004:
Invitation of the Libyan Olympic Committee to all participants still valid.

After receiving notice that several Israeli websites are reporting Libya to have cancelled the invitation to certain participants of the upcoming World Chess Championship, FIDE requested a clarification by the Libyan Organizing Committee of the event.

The Libyan Organizing Committee informed FIDE that LOC President Eng. Mohammad Moammar Al Gathafi was interviewed on Wednesday May 5 on a meeting of the Libyan Olympic Committee (LOC). In that interview a journalist asked him about a personal invitation that he sent to Israeli chessplayers. Eng. Mohammad Moammar Al Gathafi of course denied that he has sent any personal invitation but he confirmed sending an invitation to FIDE for all the participants of the WCC 2004.

Furthermore, the Libyan Organizing Committee of the 2004 World Chess Championship confirmed that the LOC invitation to all WCC 2004 participants, dated 26-4-2004, is still valid.

FIDE is of course in no position to follow unofficial reports and rumours spread through the internet. Therefore, FIDE would like to express its appreciation to the vast majority of worldwide media who did not enter into the reproduction of reports which do not contribute to the establishment of good relations between all nations. FIDE is also calling worldwide chess media to follow carefully the official announcements of FIDE and the Organizing Committee of WCC 2004 for authoritative information about the 2004 World Chess Championship.

Bill Gletsos
07-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Actually what I was applauding was what I thought/think was BD's oblique reference to the appauling methods Australia has used to "handle" asylum seekers.
I think you are reaching. :whistle:

samspade
07-05-2004, 11:22 PM
I think you are reaching. :whistle:
and you're not the only one:cool:

arosar
10-05-2004, 02:54 PM
I was just reading "Curse of Kirsan" and apparently some mountain in Australia is named after Alekhine. Where is it? And what's the exact name - Mt Alekhine, Alekhine Mountain, what?

AR

Rincewind
10-05-2004, 03:11 PM
I was just reading "Curse of Kirsan" and apparently some mountain in Australia is named after Alekhine. Where is it? And what's the exact name - Mt Alekhine, Alekhine Mountain, what?

News to me. I guess there are thousands of them in the outback. Could be one called Alekhine.

Garvinator
10-05-2004, 05:00 PM
i just tried google and no mountain by the name of alekhine came up at all.

Kevin Bonham
11-05-2004, 12:06 AM
i just tried google and no mountain by the name of alekhine came up at all.

I tried Geoscience Australia database and found nothing remotely similar. Perhaps one of the many "Mount Alexander"s?

Ian Rout
11-05-2004, 09:12 AM
I remember reading about this a few years back. It might have been in BCM and I think they had a photo of the alleged mountain. On its way to the official register it was apparently mistranscribed, presumably by a bored clerk who had never hear of Alekhine, as Mount Alkaline.

Kevin Bonham
12-05-2004, 03:17 AM
More on what looks sure to be the weakest event ever seriously billed as a chess world champs by anyone other than Bobby Fischer:

The ChessCafe Bulletin Board at http://www.chesscafe.com/board/board.htm features an open letter (or perhaps "open flame" would be more appropriate) by GM Gulko concerning the Libyan situation re Jewish players. The gist is that the pres of the Libyan Organising Committee, who is also Moammar Qadafy's[1] son, has reportedly recently said "We did not and will not invite the Zionist enemies to this championship...We know the Zionists will seize such occasions to enter the Arab society... but we will not give up our principles even if that leads to canceling holding the tournament in Libya." Gulko is hinting strongly that a Jewish boycott of the event will occur unless this alleged statement by Mohammed Qadafy is retracted.

Could be a storm in a teacup but imagine it ... yet another boycott. Just what this already weak event would need to further boost its credibility and FIDE's. :doh: What odds Darryl for FIDE World Champion if this continues?

[1] This is Gulko's spelling. I have seen this leader's name spelt in so many ways over the years that I have no idea what the most accurate English translation of the spelling, if any, now is.

Garvinator
12-05-2004, 10:31 AM
this article has also appeared on www.chessbase.com

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1640

Lucena
12-05-2004, 10:38 AM
I remember reading about this a few years back. It might have been in BCM and I think they had a photo of the alleged mountain. On its way to the official register it was apparently mistranscribed, presumably by a bored clerk who had never hear of Alekhine, as Mount Alkaline.

That'd be right :doh: funny though

Lucena
12-05-2004, 10:42 AM
this article has also appeared on www.chessbase.com

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1640

absolute shambles but this is the sort of thing we have come to expect from fide. Bring back Euwe! :owned: Oh he's dead. :doh:

Garvinator
12-05-2004, 11:09 AM
absolute shambles but this is the sort of thing we have come to expect from fide. Bring back Euwe! :owned: Oh he's dead. :doh:
that wouldnt stop fide being run better if he was president :eek: ;) :lol:

Lucena
12-05-2004, 11:15 AM
that wouldnt stop fide being run better if he was president :eek: ;) :lol:

nice one :lol: :clap:

Garvinator
13-05-2004, 01:19 PM
i know this was originally about the fide world champs/fake tourney whatever :whistle: but this article has appeared on www.chessbase.com

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1644 after reading it, something that i find interesting is that they are calling the kramnik/leko match as a match for the classical world championship. My understanding from the prague agreement was that the kramnik/leko match was a semi final and not a match for the world championship. The kaspa/fide knockout winner match is still to be arranged and is planned to go ahead at some later date.

I think the acp should give fide till jan 1 2005 to get the kaspa/fide match going or ditch fide completely and go it alone with a kaspa/anand match and play the classical title under the auspicies of the acp. Dont know how this would go in the long term, but at least it would be played.

arosar
13-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Listen here gray...I suggest you stop paying attention to this WC business. The whole thing's a bloody joke. You'll just about go nuts yourself mate. Concentrate on other things.

AR

Oepty
14-05-2004, 11:15 AM
FIDE have the final list of participants for the Womens WCC and it does not include Irina Berezina-Feldman. A note says she along with Zhu Chen (who I think is pregant) Judit Polgar, Xie Jun and Nana Ioseliani have withdrawn for personal reason. IT is good to see Kateryna Lahno has been invited and will be the fifth seed. Unlike the mens it appears the womens championship has attacted most of the top women in the world and the winner will be as worthy a winner as the KO format can produce.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
14-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Unlike the mens it appears the womens championship has attacted most of the top women in the world and the winner will be as worthy a winner as the KO format can produce.

That would only be strictly true if Judit Polgar was playing, and any women's WCC without her is a contest for second place. However, at least the reason she is not playing (no point because she would thrash them all) is something that FIDE politics and event design really have no control over, which is more than can be said for the men's event.

JGB
14-05-2004, 09:14 PM
That would only be strictly true if Judit Polgar was playing, and any women's WCC without her is a contest for second place. However, at least the reason she is not playing (no point because she would thrash them all) is something that FIDE politics and event design really have no control over, which is more than can be said for the men's event.

Judit Polgar is in the weird position of being the only Female player in the top 100 list of players. She is rated, I believe about 7th in the mens rankings, and is such a class above all other women that she should be playing in the mens event (if that were possible). She finds herself in the perculiar position where she is really in a 'class of her own' :confused:

Garvinator
14-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Judit Polgar is in the weird position of being the only Female player in the top 100 list of players. She is rated, I believe about 7th in the mens rankings, and is such a class above all other women that she should be playing in the mens event (if that were possible). She finds herself in the perculiar position where she is really in a 'class of her own' :confused:

and judit is on record as saying that she will never play in an all female event.

Lucena
14-05-2004, 09:43 PM
and judit is on record as saying that she will never play in an all female event.
And who can blame her? :clap:

Duff McKagan
17-05-2004, 05:49 AM
Maybe Judit just thinks there is no need to differentiate between the genders when it comes to chess.

Garvinator
17-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Maybe Judit just thinks there is no need to differentiate between the genders when it comes to chess.
that is exactly the reason she doesnt play in womens chess. She has been quoted as saying many times that she thinks its an insult to women to have womens only comps at the elite level especially when there is no strength advantage in chess.

JGB
30-05-2004, 08:06 PM
that is exactly the reason she doesnt play in womens chess. She has been quoted as saying many times that she thinks its an insult to women to have womens only comps at the elite level especially when there is no strength advantage in chess.

I understand her point of view, but for the rest of the pack (the next strongest women players) they have no chance playing against the men super GM's. This is the reason for the male-female divide. Without it a world championship involving 200 of the strongest players would include just one woman. maybe a bit harsh for other professional women players.

Lucena
30-05-2004, 08:16 PM
I understand her point of view, but for the rest of the pack (the next strongest women players) they have no chance playing against the men super GM's. This is the reason for the male-female divide. Without it a world championship involving 200 of the strongest players would include just one woman. maybe a bit harsh for other professional women players.

On a slightly different but related note, is it true that one of the Williams sisters (I think it was Venus) was trying to get them to let her play in the men's division?

JGB
30-05-2004, 08:19 PM
On a slightly different but related note, is it true that one of the Williams sisters (I think it was Venus) was trying to get them to let her play in the men's division?

I heard the same thing, although in this case I will not say anything about physical advantage of man of woman! :lol: Although I could not see her earning the cash on the mens circut that she makes of the womans tour.

(these comments are easy to say when she knows very well that it will never happen)

Bill Gletsos
06-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Pairings are up on the FIDE site.
Johansen is to play Mikhail Gurevich.

JGB
08-06-2004, 03:38 AM
Against the Mig! , thats not going to be an easy task. :whistle:

I have found only one game played betwen the two and it was a tight game from what I can see. Johansen had the black pieces.

[Site "Gent"]
[Date "1997.??.??"]
[White "Gurevich, Mikhail"]
[Black "Johansen, Darryl K"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. Qc2 O-O 5. a3 Bxc3+ 6. Qxc3 b6 7. Bg5 Ba6 8.
e3 d6 9. Bd3 Nbd7 10. Ne2 c5 11. Qc2 h6 12. Bh4 cxd4 13. exd4 d5 14. cxd5 Rc8
15. Qb3 Bxd3 16. Qxd3 exd5 17. O-O Qc7 18. Rac1 Qb7 19. Nc3 a6 20. a4 Rfe8 21.
Rfe1 Rxe1+ 22. Rxe1 Re8 23. Rxe8+ Nxe8 24. Qe2 Nef6 25. f3 Qc8 26. g4 Qb7 27.
Kg2 Qc8 28. Kf1 Qb7 29. Kg1 Qc8 30. Kg2 Qb7 31. Kf2 Qc8 32. Ke1 Qb7 33. Kd1 Qc8
34. Bg3 Qb7 35. h4 Nf8 36. g5 hxg5 37. hxg5 N6d7 38. f4 Ne6 39. Qe3 g6 40. Qf3
Nxd4 41. Qxd5 Qxd5 42. Nxd5 Ne6 43. Bf2 Kf8 44. Ke2 Ke8 45. Kf3 b5 46. axb5
axb5 47. Ke4 Ndc5+ 48. Bxc5 Nxc5+ 49. Kd4 Ne6+ 50. Ke5 Kd7 51. Nb4 Nc5 52. Kd5
Ne6 53. Nd3 Kc7 54. b4 Kb6 55. Kd6 Nd4 56. Ke7 1-0

I wish our boy all the best of luck. :clap:

Oepty
17-06-2004, 02:36 PM
It appears Morozevich and Shulman have no pulled out of the World Championships. The loss of Morozevich is a huge blow to the little credibility this tournament had. According the ACP website (http://www.chess-players.org) FIDE published a changed pairing on their website then removed it. This appears to leave the question of who is actually playing who is still up in the air. This seems to be another case of FIDE being completely incompetent.
Scott

Bill Gletsos
19-06-2004, 04:03 PM
The lastest pairings on the FIDE world championship site now only show 61 pairings instead of the original 64.

Missing are Morozevich-Elarbi, Hjartarson-Kudrin and Tkachiev-Shulman.

Kevin Bonham
19-06-2004, 08:09 PM
I assume the opponents get byes straight through to round 2.

I believe Darryl's game starts at 10:30 pm AEST tonight - is this correct?

Garvinator
19-06-2004, 08:30 PM
The lastest pairings on the FIDE world championship site now only show 61 pairings instead of the original 64.

Missing are Morozevich-Elarbi, Hjartarson-Kudrin and Tkachiev-Shulman.
i have seen on chessbase rumours that moro has withdrawn and fide site now lists a few libyans as seeds 126 etc

Bill Gletsos
19-06-2004, 08:31 PM
I assume the opponents get byes straight through to round 2.

I believe Darryl's game starts at 10:30 pm AEST tonight - is this correct?
Isnt Libya GMT+1.
Since we are GMT+10 and the games start at 2.30pm Libyan time then I make it 11.30pm.

Bill Gletsos
19-06-2004, 08:34 PM
i have seen on chessbase rumours that moro has withdrawn and fide site now lists a few Libyans as seeds 126 etc
Those Libyans were always listed there.
One is Topalov's opponent, the other was Moro's and the third is Adams.

eclectic
19-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Isnt Libya GMT+1.
Since we are GMT+10 and the games start at 2.30pm Libyan time then I make it 11.30pm.
checked with icc

games start 10.30pm aest

eclectic

Kevin Bonham
19-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Game's started. FIDE might have the GMT wrong, they did that in the WWC.

Johansen is white and it's a French Open Tarrasch.

Kevin Bonham
20-06-2004, 02:00 AM
Draw in 34 moves on Darryl's offer. Looks (to my inexpert eye) like he was rather better at the time too.

Rincewind
20-06-2004, 02:08 AM
Draw in 34 moves on Darryl's offer. Looks (to my inexpert eye) like he was rather better at the time too.

I prefer white too. Surely he had a some safe-ish moves he could play before offering the draw. Looked to be a few cheap threats he could play against Black's king, eg.

Ian_Rogers
20-06-2004, 12:09 PM
It seems as if Darryl was in time trouble, but in any case his advantage doesn't look like much when Black puts his knight on e6.

Ian

Feldgrau
20-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Also a draw is not a bad result for Dazza.

Gurevich is expected to win, and Darryl's best chance of upsetting him might be to just try and avoid losing, and wait for Gurevich to overpress.

As the time controls get faster then the result will tend to get more random, which also aids the lower rated player.

At least the Aussie hasn't lost the first game, which I thing both Vlad Feldman and Alex Wohl have both done previously.

Go Daz!

shaun
20-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Coverage on FICS ( freechess.org ) starts at 10:30pm (AEST). They featured a couple of games last night, including Darryl's, and they should be featuring his game again tonight. Come and watch online and join in the discussion.

Bill Gletsos
20-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Game's started. FIDE might have the GMT wrong, they did that in the WWC.
Yes they do have it wrong.
Tripoli is GMT+2 and not as on the FIDE site last night GMT+1.
Therefore it is a 10.30pm start AEST.

Tonight they have it right as GMT+2.

Rincewind
20-06-2004, 04:58 PM
What was everyone's thoughts on Gurevich's play last night. He seemed to play for very direct threats which DJ didn't have too much trouble anticipating. Is that his style (direct attack) rather than subtle positional manouvreing?

Kevin Bonham
20-06-2004, 11:27 PM
I don't know much about Gurevich but yes, his play looked very ... direct.

Game 2 is on now and Darryl has whipped out one of my former pets, the Kangaroo (1.d4 e6 2.c4 Bb4+) but then hopped into a Dutch. Anyway after move 7 Chessbase had a rather ugly +13=15-3 scoreline for the White pieces, but then with Gurevich's 8.d5 the game went off its radar entirely. With any luck the move is rubbish. :lol: It's move 9 now and either Darryl is having a very long think or else the feed has stopped.

samspade
21-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Can someone explain the first round draw? You have practically even matches(ratingwise) at the bottom and then the gap gets wider and wider until you have hundreds of point gap at the top:eh: :confused: looks cruel and unusual...or is this how knockouts are always run

Kevin Bonham
21-06-2004, 04:38 PM
It's the 1-128, 2-127, 3-126 ... 64-65 way of doing the draw rather than the 1-65, 2-66, 3-67 ... my guess is they went that way to increase the favourites' chances of survival to the final rounds and hence shore up their overly random system.

The game last night - Darryl had some interesting ideas but seemed to me to get carried away and Gurevich didn't fall for any of it.

Rincewind
21-06-2004, 06:12 PM
It's the 1-128, 2-127, 3-126 ... 64-65 way of doing the draw rather than the 1-65, 2-66, 3-67 ... my guess is they went that way to increase the favourites' chances of survival to the final rounds and hence shore up their overly random system.

The game last night - Darryl had some interesting ideas but seemed to me to get carried away and Gurevich didn't fall for any of it.

From memory all the FIDE championships have been run with that sort of draw. Some previous tournaments even had "elite" players seeded to the second round.

Garvinator
22-06-2004, 10:16 AM

samspade (im using kevins quote as part answer) the 1 v 128 2 v 127 is the technically correct way of doing a knockout draw when all players are seeded.

If you have a look at grand slam tennis, you will see this type of draw but on a modified scale. In tennis, seeds one and two are placed top and bottom, then seeds three and four are drawn and then placed in the middle quarter. Five six seven and eight are then drawn and placed in their 'correct' position. The draw continues like this for the 32 seeds and then everyone else is randomly draw with the seeds allocated already.

samspade
22-06-2004, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=ggrayggray]samspade (im using kevins quote as part answer) the 1 v 128 2 v 127 is the technically correct way of doing a knockout draw when all players are seeded.

:eek: :eek: and I thought playing up was tough witha swiss draw:eek: this one leaves it for dead

Garvinator
23-06-2004, 10:48 AM
unless i have seen the game on playchess incorrectly, Nigel Short has been eliminated from the fide knockout, what a great system to decide a world championship, NOT NOT :hand:

Rincewind
23-06-2004, 11:40 AM
unless i have seen the game on playchess incorrectly, Nigel Short has been eliminated from the fide knockout, what a great system to decide a world championship, NOT NOT :hand:

Watch your double negatives. :eek: :lol:

Alan Shore
23-06-2004, 12:02 PM

That's just bad luck for Short then, 2700's shouldn't leave rooks en prise.

Malakhov (2695) and Sokolov (2690) are out too.

Ian Rout
25-06-2004, 11:51 AM
On the way in to work this morning I heard AM headlining a story about the World Championship - not about the chess but about Libya "coming in from the cold", and the position of Israeli players. I didn't hear the story itself but they are put up at

http://www.abc.net.au/am/

I think (no promises) they are available (text and audio) from about 5pm on the day of the broadcast.

Garvinator
25-06-2004, 12:11 PM
On the way in to work this morning I heard AM headlining a story about the World Championship - not about the chess but about Libya "coming in from the cold", and the position of Israeli players. I didn't hear the story itself but they are put up at

http://www.abc.net.au/am/

I think (no promises) they are available (text and audio) from about 5pm on the day of the broadcast.
where is this article located on the link, i couldnt see it :(

Ian Rout
25-06-2004, 12:33 PM
It isn't yet, it should be at about 5pm.

Oepty
25-06-2004, 04:01 PM
I missed the very start of the segment, but my mother alerted me to it. Gelfand was interviewed, and so was the coaching or something similar of the Israeli chess team. A pity that we have to have negative coverage of chess but with FIDE being so incompetent it is no real surprise. I think this highlights that the media in Australia will cover chess if we provide them with something to cover.
Scott

Rincewind
26-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Round of 16 starts in a couple of hours. Should be interesting. Especially the two matches involving the younger players.

Smirnov v Radjabov and Adams v Nakamura

Looking forward to it.

bobby1972
26-06-2004, 11:42 PM
lets hope adams wins it will be good for chess here maybe?

Rincewind
27-06-2004, 03:38 PM
lets hope adams wins it will be good for chess here maybe?

I like Adams but I can't bring myself to barrack for a pom. ;)

Adams has to be one of the favorites along with Topalov and Grischuk. Of the roughies I like Radjabov, Dreev, Akopian and Nisipeanu. The dark horses are wily ol' Beliavsky also can't be discounted and Krasenkow is also a very talented player who has the potential to produce an upset, however I wonder if either has the staying power to go all the way.

Despite many of the top players missing I'm still finding the tournament fascinating and as you can tell by the number of players I mention about still wide-open.

But my pick at the moment is Grischuk.

Rincewind
28-06-2004, 10:22 AM
My three favourites are through. Two of the roughies eliminated (Dreev and Nisipeanu) and the two dark horses are out. Although Beliavsky gave Grischuk a run for his money.

The final eight are...

Topalov - Kharlov
Grischuk - Kasimdzhanov
Radjabov - Dominguez
Adams - Akopian

I like the three favourites and Radjabov for the final 4. Biggest chance of an upset is in the Adams-Akopian match but Adams seems to be playing quite well and should pull through - but anything can happen with these 2 games matches.

Still leaning towards Grischuk as the tourny winner.

No rest for the wicked! Round 5 starts tonight 10:30 pm (AEST).

Bill Gletsos
30-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Topalov is thumping his opponents so far with a 9.5/10 score after the Fifth Round.
Only he and Adams (8/10) have so far not had to go into the tie-breaks.

Rincewind
30-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Topalov is thumping his opponents so far with a 9.5/10 score after the Fifth Round.
Only he and Adams (8/10) have so far not had to go into the tie-breaks.

Yeah, Topalov looks good but I haven't looked at too many of his games. I've been following Adams more closely and he looks the goods but might have trouble scoring a plus against a really strong GM. Maybe that is just his style.

Grischuk disappointed. Struck back in the long game only to lose the rapids 2-zip.

Also interesting is Radjabov who had a long day at the office yesterday. Pulling through by drawing with Black in the final tiebreak of armageddon blitz at around 9am this morning!

My tip from the final 4 is Topalov. :)

boardumb
30-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Also interesting is Radjabov who had a long day at the office yesterday. Pulling through by drawing with Black in the final tiebreak of armageddon blitz at around 9am this morning!

yes, radjabov seems to be going for the "draw the long games and demonstrate superior icc blitz" technique

it's held up nicely for him so far, but topalov isn't going to be settling for 1-1 after the long games.

jeffrei
30-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Mr Boardumb...here's a little known fact: two of our contemporaries played against Radjabov and Grischuk when they had somewhat more modest ratings.

Event: Wch U12
Site: Oropesa del Mar
Date: 1998.??.??
Round: 7
White: Radjabov, Teimour
Black: Zhao, Zong Yuan
Result: 1-0
ECO: A49
WhiteElo: 2325
PlyCount: 55
EventDate: 1998.10.25
Source: ChessBase
SourceDate: 1999.11.16

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. b3 g6 3. Bb2 Bg7 4. g3 O-O 5. Bg2 d6 6. d4 e5 7. dxe5 Nfd7 8. Qd2
Nc6 9. Nc3 dxe5 10. O-O-O a5 11. h4 h6 12. g4 a4 13. Nxa4 Qe7 14. Kb1 Rd8 15.
Qc1 b5 16. Nc3 Qb4 17. Nxe5 Ncxe5 18. Bxa8 c6 19. Qe3 Nxg4 20. Qg3 Nge5 21. f4
Qa5 22. fxe5 Qxa8 23. e6 fxe6 24. Qxg6 Kh8 25. Rhg1 Rg8 26. Ne4 e5 27. Rxd7
Bxd7 28. Bxe5 1-0

Event: Wch U14
Site: Menorca
Date: 1996.??.??
Round: 1
White: Grischuk, Alexander
Black: Chow, Michael
Result: 1/2-1/2
ECO: B01
WhiteElo: 2375
PlyCount: 49
EventDate: 1996.??.??
Source: ChessBase

1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6 3. d4 Bg4 4. f3 Bf5 5. c4 e6 6. dxe6 Nc6 7. Be3 Bb4+ 8.
Nc3 Qe7 9. a3 Qxe6 10. Kf2 Bxc3 11. d5 Qd6 12. bxc3 Ne5 13. Qa4+ Bd7 14. Qb4 b6
15. Bd4 O-O 16. Qxd6 cxd6 17. Bxe5 dxe5 18. Bd3 Rac8 19. Ne2 Rfe8 20. Ke3 e4
21. fxe4 Nxe4 22. Bxe4 Bf5 23. Ng3 Bxe4 24. Nxe4 Rxc4 25. Rhd1 1/2-1/2

Kevin Bonham
01-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Last night was the first attention I've paid to the SOLCC [1] since our boy bowed out. The Topalov game was extremely messy with Topalov having just three pawns for a rook for much of the game, I think he was a little bit lucky but haven't looked at it closely yet.

What sort of chances do people think Adams would have in a match against Kasparov if he won this little exercise?

I'm barracking for Kazimdzhanov to win the lot in the hope that a suitably obscure winner will be enough to complete the demolition of FIDE's credibility on staging any kind of World Champs. :eek:

[1] Semi-Open Libyan Chess Championships. An improvement on Tim Krabbe's sarcastic name for the event, which lacked the "Semi-" :P

Bill Gletsos
01-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Well both Topolov and Adams are Black in the first game of the semi-finals tonight.
It will be interesting to see if Topolov especially can maintain his winning ways and win with Black first up.

Kevin Bonham
02-07-2004, 02:53 AM
Adams won, Topalov took an early draw.

Rincewind
02-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Adams won, Topalov took an early draw.

Is it too eary to start talking about a Topalov - Adams final?

Interesting stat - no Russian in the last 4.

Garvinator
02-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Is it too eary to start talking about a Topalov - Adams final?

Interesting stat - no Russian in the last 4.
interesting stat- no isreali in the top 128 ;)

Rincewind
02-07-2004, 10:17 AM
interesting stat- no isreali in the top 128 ;)

Well that issue has already been well documented and the tournament soundly criticised. But look at the starting 128 by country...

Russia 19
Armenia 7
China, India, USA 5
etc

Russia has a huge numerical advantage at the start of the tournament. Also when was the last time there was no Russian in the last 4 of an official WCh?

Garvinator
02-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Russia has a huge numerical advantage at the start of the tournament. Also when was the last time there was no Russian in the last 4 of an official WCh?
so i take it then you are talking about russia with its current boundaries, for instance so you would not be including say kasparov in your count for russians in officials wchs as he is from baku ie from the old ussr.

Rincewind
02-07-2004, 11:01 AM
so i take it then you are talking about russia with its current boundaries, for instance so you would not be including say kasparov in your count for russians in officials wchs as he is from baku ie from the old ussr.

I'm talking about players with RUS after their name on the FIDE list. This includes Kasparov but not Radjabov even through they were both born in what is now recognised as the country Azerbaijan. (Formerly the Soviet Republic of Azerbaijan).

Kevin Bonham
03-07-2004, 01:29 AM
Adams is one game up, Topalov is still level. I see these semis are best of 4.

Bill Gletsos
06-07-2004, 12:18 AM
Well Topalov has lost the first rapid game.
He needs to win with Black in the second to keep his chances alive.

Kevin Bonham
06-07-2004, 12:42 AM
And White is two pawns up as I type, although far from home and hosed as the game is still messy.

Kevin Bonham
06-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Topalov out!

Garvinator
06-07-2004, 12:51 AM
And White is two pawns up as I type, although far from home and hosed as the game is still messy.
topalov is out. i want to see if fide will be able to organise a credible kaspa v rastam world championship qualifier :lol:

Rincewind
06-07-2004, 12:56 AM
topalov is out. i want to see if fide will be able to organise a credible kaspa v rastam world championship qualifier :lol:

I like Adams but Kazimdzhanov certainly surprised a few people tonight, so who knows?

Bill Gletsos
06-07-2004, 12:56 AM
They better pray Adams wins the final.

Garvinator
06-07-2004, 12:59 AM
what do you reckon in the next few hours that rastam will be pulled aside and told, we will give you plenty of cash if you just happen to lose by one game in the final. Dont make life hard for us now by thinking that we actually want you to win this semi open libyan chess championship ;) :lol:

Rincewind
06-07-2004, 01:06 AM
what do you reckon in the next few hours that rastam will be pulled aside and told, we will give you plenty of cash if you just happen to lose by one game in the final. Dont make life hard for us now by thinking that we actually want you to win this semi open libyan chess championship ;) :lol:

Didn;t happen in other events. Ponomariov beat Ivanchuk, Khalifman beat whoever it was he beat. The KO format is the preferred format of the top 100, just not the top 5. :)

Besides FIDE is so cash strapped they will have trouble tipping the bar staff at the after tourney do, let alone pay-off one of the finalists.

Kevin Bonham
06-07-2004, 01:08 AM

Indeed. Go Rustam!

eclectic
06-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Didn;t happen in other events. Ponomariov beat Ivanchuk, Khalifman beat whoever it was he beat. The KO format is the preferred format of the top 100, just not the top 5. :)

Besides FIDE is so cash strapped they will have trouble tipping the bar staff at the after tourney do, let alone pay-off one of the finalists.

If the earlier matches were based on 4 or 6 games with the highest seeded player winning in the event of a tie [NO RAPID OR BLITZ OR ARMAGEDDON] how many of the top 100 would be favourable then?

And of course it's a favoured concept when you know you're going to get a good pay cheque even if you lose round 1

eclectic

Kevin Bonham
06-07-2004, 01:25 AM
If the earlier matches were based on 4 or 6 games with the highest seeded player winning in the event of a tie [NO RAPID OR BLITZ OR ARMAGEDDON] how many of the top 100 would be favourable then?

They would love it, and you would get to watch an endless chain of 2550 GMs throwing the kitchen sink unsuccessfully at 2650 GMs.

Draw odds become very meaningful in such short matches.

Bill Gletsos
07-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Well the first game of the final ended up a pretty lame 18 move draw.

Garvinator
07-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Well the first game of the final ended up a pretty lame 18 move draw.
theres a surprise :whistle:

Kevin Bonham
07-07-2004, 01:33 AM
I don't entirely blame the players for that. Adams had black and Kasimdzhanov hadn't had a rest day yesterday.

Rincewind
07-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Kasimdzhanov hadn't had a rest day yesterday.

He only had to play a couple of rapid games. Yesterday wasn't a huge day at the office.

Trizza
07-07-2004, 02:36 PM
I don't entirely blame the players for that. Adams had black and Kasimdzhanov hadn't had a rest day yesterday.

Actually Adams had white.

In an old new in chess interview Adams said he didn't accept early draw offers unless he disliked his position. Maybe his attitude has changed as the final position doesn't look too bad for white.

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2004, 01:57 AM
Yes, I was fooled there because when I checked last night FIDE were listing the game as Kazimdzhanov - Adams, but I didn't realise they already had the site set up for tonight's game. Not having watched the game I therefore wrongly assumed Adams had been Black.

This one is more combative. Move 36, any result still possible.

Garvinator
08-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Yes, I was fooled there because when I checked last night FIDE were listing the game as Kazimdzhanov - Adams, but I didn't realise they already had the site set up for tonight's game. Not having watched the game I therefore wrongly assumed Adams had been Black.

This one is more combative. Move 36, any result still possible.
on playchess some of the ppl commenting on the game are cheering for kasim :lol:

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2004, 02:12 AM
Because they think he'll win, or because they want him to?

Tricky position but my impression is it's been drifting towards Adams for several moves.

Garvinator
08-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Because they think he'll win, or because they want him to?

not sure, some are just saying go kasim, i hope kasim wins the whole thing and im sure you do to.

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2004, 02:21 AM
Oh, absolutely. :lol:

The game is quite a tricky one. I thought Adams had it under control and was beginning to turn the corner a few moves ago. Now I am not sure, White is looking threatening again.

Garvinator
08-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Oh, absolutely. :lol:

The game is quite a tricky one. I thought Adams had it under control and was beginning to turn the corner a few moves ago. Now I am not sure, White is looking threatening again.
some of them who have fritz powered up are saying that adams had good chances if he played Nxb5 instead of Rc8. As soon he played Rc8, the silicon geniuses were claiming white 1.5 ahead.

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2004, 02:50 AM
Hmmm, looks like I did well then if Fritz agreed with me. (I haven't had Fritz running while watching this, too many other windows open, poor old computer might crash if I torture it any more).

Anyway, Kasimdzhanov has now won a pawn and we are in an ending with 2R+2P for 2R+P.

How should I pronounce "Kasimdzhanov"? I'm having enough trouble spelling it.

Garvinator
08-07-2004, 02:52 AM
How should I pronounce "Kasimdzhanov"? I'm having enough trouble spelling it.
hence why i have just been saying kasim ;) kasim just won

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2004, 02:54 AM
YEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now Rustam, all we need from you is another four draws just like yesterday's. :lol:

Garvinator
08-07-2004, 02:58 AM
YEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now Rustam, all we need from you is another four draws just like yesterday's. :lol:
one person on playchess did comment that if kasim did win this event, then he can retire with a 2700 elo and then start writing open letters criticising fide and how he cant get an even hearing with them, just like ruslan :whistle: :lol: :lol: :owned:

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2004, 03:13 AM
I guess that's the problem. Call someone a world champion and you shouldn't be surprised if they start acting all prima donna. I feel kind-of sorry for Pono in that respect.

jeffrei
08-07-2004, 01:42 PM

I agree, because Uzbekistan is a very poor country and no financial help could come from there to support a Kasparov-Kasimdzhanov match. Also, he's not a 'name' player with the general public (I think only Bobby Fischer and Judit Polgar and Vishy Anand and Vladimir Kramnik could possibly qualify in that regard). But it amuses me to see everyone here implying that Kasimdzhanov is some kind of bunny. Do you guys know anything about Kasimdzhanov's career? For instance the difficulties of getting decent experience coming out of an obscure country like Uzbekistan? Someone do a database check and count the number of international games he'd played before the age of 16 - you'll find very few games, and all of them from non-elite events like the world juniors. Then name someone else who's got past 2700 (as Kasimdzhanov did in 2001/2) under such difficult circumstances. Then explain why Kasimdzhanov can't become a fully-fledged supergm along with Topalov, Adams, Morozevich, Leko and the rest. He's already got to the supergm level once, before falling back down again. I think this time - at age 24 - he might be back for good.

PS: People who consistently misspell words or form ungrammatical sentences or post thoughtless stupid one-line comments are not welcome to respond to this post.

Kevin Bonham
08-07-2004, 03:15 PM
But it amuses me to see everyone here implying that Kasimdzhanov is some kind of bunny.

I'm not sure everyone here has (deliberately) implied that. He's not a bunny but he's certainly a lot more obscure than his opponent. I have at least heard of him, which is more than I can say for one or two above him on the FIDE list (he's #54 to Adams' #6).

Do you guys know anything about Kasimdzhanov's career? For instance the difficulties of getting decent experience coming out of an obscure country like Uzbekistan? Someone do a database check and count the number of international games he'd played before the age of 16 - you'll find very few games, and all of them from non-elite events like the world juniors.

I only found about 75 databased games, and I'm not sure if all would have been "international".

Then name someone else who's got past 2700 (as Kasimdzhanov did in 2001/2) under such difficult circumstances.

2700 needs to be taken with just a little grain of salt given the FIDE ratings inflation. All the same, using Sonas' chessmetrics site (which seems to have died around the time of Rustam's previous ratings peak) it seems that his strength at his peak was about 20th in history for that age, similar to Adams at the same age.

Then explain why Kasimdzhanov can't become a fully-fledged supergm along with Topalov, Adams, Morozevich, Leko and the rest. He's already got to the supergm level once, before falling back down again. I think this time - at age 24 - he might be back for good.

He might. Incidentally Adams also dropped back (in historical strength terms) shortly after his early-20s peak before getting stronger again. But when Khalifman won his knockout all kinds of reasons were produced why Khalifman was not a run-of-the-mill mid-30s-in-the-world-rated smokie and why Khalifman, with the doors his title had opened, was surely on the way to super-GM hood. The title certainly opened doors, he got to play in super-GM events and so on, but he's no stronger now than then.

Also Kasimdzhanov has got to this final on his rapids skill more than anything. He did flatten Almasi 2-0 in rd 4 but he's been to tiebreaks in rds 1, 3, 5 and 6.

Which means Adams might want to get on his bike and rack up a couple of wins in the next few games; Adams would not be wanting to be forced to a playoff given what happened to Ivanchuk, Grischuk and Topalov.

bobby1972
08-07-2004, 04:18 PM
another K coming up

Kevin Bonham
09-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Anyone watching game 3 online?

Move 27 and I doubt Kasimdzhanov can hold that pawn forever, so Adams' chances of balancing the score are looking good ...

Garvinator
09-07-2004, 01:38 AM
Anyone watching game 3 online?

Move 27 and I doubt Kasimdzhanov can hold that pawn forever, so Adams' chances of balancing the score are looking good ...
just got home and so im watching now.

Kevin Bonham
09-07-2004, 01:51 AM
Looks just about over to me.

Garvinator
09-07-2004, 02:10 AM
Looks just about over to me.
any drawing chances left :uhoh:

Kevin Bonham
09-07-2004, 02:16 AM
It would take a very big swindle. He's still two pawns down and they just passed move 40 and got the 15 minutes.

Garvinator
09-07-2004, 02:23 AM
It would take a very big swindle. He's still two pawns down and they just passed move 40 and got the 15 minutes.
well your watching so theres always hope of a swindle ;) :lol:

Garvinator
09-07-2004, 02:28 AM
well your watching so theres always hope of a swindle ;) :lol:
no swindles , so the score now is 1.5-1.5

Kevin Bonham
09-07-2004, 02:30 AM
I was actually watching it and thinking about how I would go about setting up a swindle against a weaker player in that position. Against 2700s you can pretty much forget it though.

Adams levels with 3 to go. Looked good in that game too. I wonder who (if anyone) will come out fighting for game 4.

Garvinator
09-07-2004, 02:32 AM
Adams levels with 3 to go. Looked good in that game too. I wonder who (if anyone) will come out fighting for game 4.
is there a rest day after this game? if not then i would want odds on the draw ;)

Trizza
09-07-2004, 01:02 PM
is there a rest day after this game? if not then i would want odds on the draw ;)

There is 1 rest day.

Garvinator
09-07-2004, 01:11 PM
There is 1 rest day.
oh well no play tonight :(

ursogr8
09-07-2004, 01:35 PM
oh well no play tonight :(

gg'''

This post of yours came close to being gratuitous.

Of course, I have to admit mine is. ;)

starter

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2004, 10:28 PM
I'll be watching game 4 live more or less start to finish if anyone has any comments on how it's going as it progresses.

Garvinator
10-07-2004, 10:31 PM
I'll be watching game 4 live more or less start to finish if anyone has any comments on how it's going as it progresses.
im at playchess.com waiting and ill be here a while

eclectic
10-07-2004, 10:37 PM
im at playchess.com waiting and ill be here a while

webcam

a bit wonky but better than nothing

SO WONKY IN FACT IT'S A RECORDING OF A PREVIOUS GAME !!

Sorry All :(

http://62.68.42.5/ramgen/broadcast/live.rm

real player required

eclectic

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Move 12. So far this is following a Shirov-Topalov 1997 game assessed by NCO as =. Playing pretty fast too, even if it is all theory. Even with the rest day a gutless draw would not surprise me tonight.

Garvinator
10-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Move 12. So far this is following a Shirov-Topalov 1997 game assessed by NCO as =. Playing pretty fast too, even if it is all theory. Even with the rest day a gutless draw would not surprise me tonight.
get out the chicken factor ;) :lol:

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2004, 10:49 PM
12...f5 = TN according to chessbase. chessbase has 13 games (+5=6-2) with 12.Rfb1.

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2004, 10:52 PM
get out the chicken factor ;) :lol:

I should have done the chicken factor for game 1.

At least Adams' move is interesting and provocative. Surprising if it hasn't been tried before.

(NB In the previous games Black never pushed f5 quickly. Black usually played ...f6 with either ...g6 or ...g5 or else left the k-side still for a while. Adams could be having a real go here.)

Garvinator
10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
webcam

a bit wonky but better than nothing

SO WONKY IN FACT IT'S A RECORDING OF A PREVIOUS GAME !!

Sorry All :(

http://62.68.42.5/ramgen/broadcast/live.rm

real player required

eclectic
im viewing it now and seeing kasim as white, but the view is from the side so cant see the board too well at all, is this what your seeing eclectic, or do i have to change a setting?

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Clocks not working on FIDE site tonight, having been fine for all previous rounds I have watched.

Garvinator
10-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Clocks not working on FIDE site tonight, having been fine for all previous rounds I have watched.
i have real player and playchess going, it looks like adams is thinking and not kasim on real player, but i cant see the board well enough to see what kasim did, and playchess has not updated yet, which is unusual for them

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2004, 11:24 PM
FIDE site shows 13...a5 as last move.

Clocks are now working.

Garvinator
10-07-2004, 11:28 PM
FIDE site shows 13...a5 as last move.

Clocks are now working.
i gave up on real player, not worth it, picture not good, puter kept freezing and i couldnt even see the actual moves, so i gave up. yes playchess now showing 13.... a5

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2004, 11:57 PM
Move 17. There are a number of positional pluses and minuses for both sides but I see nothing either would be too scared of.

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2004, 01:29 AM
Whoah! Exchange sac! Garvin (if you're still there), what are people at playchess saying about this? Fritz doesn't like it at all, but it wouldn't, it's a computer.

(A few moves later) 33...Kf7 looks like a mistake. Adams is losing again! Amazing!

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2004, 02:02 AM
It's over! Kasimdzhanov 2.5-1.5 Adams.

Two games to go and Adams has to win them both to avoid the playoffs.

Alan Shore
11-07-2004, 06:31 AM
Kasim Kasim Kasim!! What a giantkiller! Hope he wins it. Then it's goodbye to the ghosts of FIDE credibility.

Garvinator
11-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Whoah! Exchange sac! Garvin (if you're still there), what are people at playchess saying about this? Fritz doesn't like it at all, but it wouldn't, it's a computer.

(A few moves later) 33...Kf7 looks like a mistake. Adams is losing again! Amazing!
sorry i turned off the puter and went to sleep at about move 18, thinking it was going to be a boring draw :eek: oh well,

ok i have fritz 8 analysising move 30-31 for black and fritz doesnt like blacks move. Showing 1.22 for white. But sometimes that doesnt mean much in exchange sac positions. Can you explain why adams sacced the exchange?

Here is the chessbase site article on this game: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1780

jeffrei
11-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Can you explain why adams sacced the exchange?

I think Adams probably didn't see (or saw, but didn't appreciate the strength of) the very fine move 32 f4!. IMHO the exchange sac would have been reasonable if not for that move.

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2004, 07:19 PM
ok i have fritz 8 analysising move 30-31 for black and fritz doesnt like blacks move. Showing 1.22 for white. But sometimes that doesnt mean much in exchange sac positions. Can you explain why adams sacced the exchange?

I don't think he was happy with his position. Just before the sac I thought that White finally had some kind of advantage; definitely Kasimdzhanov had played the position better than Adams did through the middlegame. Adams probably figured that exchange for a pawn with the strong b-pawn would be a good practical chance, and, like jeffrei said, simply missed the strengths of 32.f4!

All credit to Kasimdzhanov because while Adams self-destructed in this game it was K's generally superior positional play that provoked Adams to make his mistake(s).

(33...Nf8 seems to be a better defence but I think it still loses against accurate play).

Chessbase reckons the "dzh" is pronounced like a "j", ie "Kasimjanov". At least that's how I hear their audio file.

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Wondered if Kasparov and Kasimdzhanov have ever played before. They have but not for a few years, Kasparov winning all four games.

Kasparov has an awesome record against Adams - +11=8-2. Ouch.

Garvinator
11-07-2004, 09:32 PM
I don't think he was happy with his position. Just before the sac I thought that White finally had some kind of advantage; definitely Kasimdzhanov had played the position better than Adams did through the middlegame. Adams probably figured that exchange for a pawn with the strong b-pawn would be a good practical chance, and, like jeffrei said, simply missed the strengths of 32.f4!

All credit to Kasimdzhanov because while Adams self-destructed in this game it was K's generally superior positional play that provoked Adams to make his mistake(s).

(33...Nf8 seems to be a better defence but I think it still loses against accurate play).

Chessbase reckons the "dzh" is pronounced like a "j", ie "Kasimjanov". At least that's how I hear their audio file.

i have another theory, adams realised that his position was a dud and attempted a small swindle to get himself back in the game. as jeffrei said, without f4 adams position was playable, so maybe adams was hoping that kasim would miss f4 figuring that he was lost anyways.

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2004, 10:16 PM
i have another theory, adams realised that his position was a dud and attempted a small swindle to get himself back in the game. as jeffrei said, without f4 adams position was playable, so maybe adams was hoping that kasim would miss f4 figuring that he was lost anyways.

I don't think he was anywhere near lost, though his position had been drifting worse for about ten moves as Kasimdzhanov kept solving his problems while Adams either failed to solve his or swapped them for new ones.

One other possibility is that he was still in win-at-all-costs mode. When he played ...f5 early on I thought "right, maybe Adams reckons K's only up for a draw today and wants to really sock it to him." When he realised White was +/= and practically risk free maybe that prodded him to play it a bit too sharp.

I really don't think he would have played the sac knowing K had f4 coming and realising what it would do. It's a good move but it's not that hard to see. And I think K had more time at that stage.

jeffrei
12-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Well, Kasimdhanov's really playing into Adams's strengths! Although I tend to have faith in 'infinite resistance' and all that jazz, I must admit Black's position is not pleasing to the eye.

If Kasimdzhanov survives this Adams's number is almost certainly up. On the other hand if Adams wins I think odds are even again - the fact that Kasimdzhanov has one white left I take to be balanced by Adams's prodigous skill at rapid games (yet another way in which Adams reminds me of the Karpov of old).

It's been an entertaining match.

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2004, 01:46 AM
I was just sneaking the odd look at the position during ad breaks in the car racing but I thought Adams was going to just wipe him out with the space and the k-side attack. That hasn't happened, but it still looks like Adams is going to win

Bill Gletsos
12-07-2004, 01:59 AM
I was just sneaking the odd look at the position during ad breaks in the car racing but I thought Adams was going to just wipe him out with the space and the k-side attack. That hasn't happened, but it still looks like Adams is going to win
Black just blundered big time with 45. Nf7

Bill Gletsos
12-07-2004, 02:01 AM
Adams won in 46 moves.
Wonder if he can hold tomorrow with Black.

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2004, 02:09 AM
It's been that sort of match, with four straight wins for White.

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Anyone else watching?

Spanish again.

Garvinator
12-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Anyone else watching?

Spanish again.
yes im here as usual :eek: what do you have in your database for blacks 15th move

Garvinator
12-07-2004, 11:04 PM
yes im here as usual :eek: what do you have in your database for blacks 15th move
adams just took off his jacket on real player video streaming, ppl on playchess claim that is the sign that kasim is going to get it, but i have seen adams take off his jacket in each game so far and he has only managed 2 wins from 5 games :lol:

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2004, 11:23 PM

Sorry, I had some taxonomic duties to perform on another thread.

All in NCO up to move 15 where the line ends, evaluated as unclear.

Still known to theory at the moment (after B17) with +2-1 for White. 18.Be3 played in all three games; Dominguez (who was doing OK earlier in this event) won both the wins.

Garvinator
12-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Sorry, I had some taxonomic duties to perform on another thread.

All in NCO up to move 15 where the line ends, evaluated as unclear.

Still known to theory at the moment (after B17) with +2-1 for White. 18.Be3 played in all three games; Dominguez (who was doing OK earlier in this event) won both the wins.
my database for fritz 8 which i can load the opening book when i am on playchess gives only one game for white at 15. g4 and a 100%

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Chessbase was giving half a doz until very recently.

The odd thing is that the three chessbase games with 18.Be3 are all recent. I mentioned Dominguez had won two. They were against the same player, Inarkiev. They were both in round 1 of this knockout. Inarkiev won game 1 with white and Dominguez won game 2 using this line. Playoff game one was drawn but in the second, Inarkiev repeated the first 20 moves of his defeat in this line before Dominguez deviated on move 21 and later won. That'll learn Inarkiev and he won't do that again in a hurry. I wonder if he intended an improvement further on ...

And now we have the same line in the final. Fascinating.

First new move is by Adams - 18...Nb4.

Garvinator
12-07-2004, 11:43 PM
And now we have the same line in the final. Fascinating.

First new move is by Adams - 18...Nb4.
and the ppl running programs are claiming 0.00

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2004, 11:47 PM
The time difference is interesting. Kasimdzhanov is over half an hour ahead on the clock. I wonder if this is still not far from his preparation, whereas Adams spent forever on that last move.

I would rather be White here (move 19).

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2004, 11:53 PM
and the ppl running programs are claiming 0.00

Ah yes, I see why now. In my analysis of 19..d5 20.e5 I somehow thought White could play f4 without moving his Nf3. :sad:

Garvinator
12-07-2004, 11:55 PM
Ah yes, I see why now. In my analysis of 19..d5 20.e5 I somehow thought White could play f4 without moving his Nf3. :sad:
im sure the arbiter could look away to get that move in ;)

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Pretty feisty stuff, this game. No sign of wimping off to the playoffs yet.

Black seems to be cooking with gas at the moment. If I was White I would be very afraid.

Bill Gletsos
13-07-2004, 01:11 AM
Adams 25.Be4 looks like rubbish. It just drops a pawn for no apparent compensation.

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 01:13 AM
... actually it seems White was OK anyway (I've stuck this on Fritz now before I embarrass myself any further) but 25...Be4 has left Black a pawn down. Still looks hard for White to win.

jeffrei
13-07-2004, 02:07 AM
Wow! What a huge blunder - 41 Qg8. I know people might be inclined to blame it on the time-limit but there wasn't plenty of time left on the clock and not an especially tense position.

eclectic
13-07-2004, 02:10 AM
Wow! What a huge blunder. I know people might be inclined to blame it on the time-limit but there wasn't plenty of time left on the clock and not an especially tense position.

jeffrei,

blame it more on kasimdzhanov's very tense disposition

:(

eclectic

jeffrei
13-07-2004, 02:11 AM
blame it more on kasimdzhanov's very tense disposition

True that, he's known as a nervous type although it hasn't been much in evidence (yet) in this event!

eclectic
13-07-2004, 02:19 AM
draw

now for tiebreakers

seems according to icc kibitzing that adams was so bent on saving game with a draw that he missed a win

i'll leave it to more expert posters to confirm if this was the case

eclectic

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 02:19 AM
Oh well. Draw. Playoff fun tomorrow.

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 02:34 AM
draw

now for tiebreakers

seems according to icc kibitzing that adams was so bent on saving game with a draw that he missed a win

i'll leave it to more expert posters to confirm if this was the case

eclectic

Yes, 42...Qe4! leads into a very long forcing line that ultimately wins overwhelmingly. :eek:

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Wow! What a huge blunder - 41 Qg8. I know people might be inclined to blame it on the time-limit but there wasn't plenty of time left on the clock and not an especially tense position.
dont the players receive an extra 15 minutes after move 40 :confused:

Lucena
13-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Yes, 42...Qe4! leads into a very long forcing line that ultimately wins overwhelmingly. :eek:

Unbelievable! (as George Xie would say)

Trizza
13-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Unbelievable! (as George Xie would say)

Normally I would agree if a top player missed such an opportunity, but these knockouts lead to strange things...

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 08:07 PM
dont the players receive an extra 15 minutes after move 40 :confused:

That is correct.

Tiebreaks start in 25 mins!!

Trizza
13-07-2004, 08:25 PM
That is correct.

Tiebreaks start in 25 mins!!

I never realised the games started so early - I assumed they were in the middle of the night.

JGB
13-07-2004, 08:30 PM
10 minutes ;) '' Im excited '' (Big Kev)

JGB
13-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Its a sicilian Bb5!

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 08:32 PM
I never realised the games started so early - I assumed they were in the middle of the night.
normally they have started at 1030pm, playoffs so 830pm., its just started now

Trizza
13-07-2004, 08:34 PM
normally they have started at 1030pm

I.e. 8:30pm in Perth.

7. Ba4; Adams doesn't go for the gambit with 7.Bxc6 and 8.d4

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 08:35 PM
I.e. 8:30pm in Perth.
yes 830pm perth time for the normal games, playoffs just started

JGB
13-07-2004, 08:39 PM
throw in a black .e5 and its almost text book Lopez

Trizza
13-07-2004, 08:43 PM
throw in a black .e5 and its almost text book Lopez

Although black's bishop will be on g7, not e7. It can eventually get there in the Spanish at the cost of a few tempi of course.

Rincewind
13-07-2004, 08:45 PM
I get the feeling Kasi is avoiding e5

JGB
13-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Although black's bishop will be on g7, not e7. It can eventually get there in the Spanish at the cost of a few tempi of course.

he played g7 just before I finished typing. But its still very similar

Trizza
13-07-2004, 08:47 PM
he played g7 just before I finished typing. But its still very similar

True

Should Adams have played h3 before d4 to avoid the pin?

JGB
13-07-2004, 08:48 PM
The pin ok, actually its almost good for white

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Its a sicilian Bb5!

Finally something I can relate to. At first I thought "another Spanish!" then I noticed it was c5 not e5.

JGB
13-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Fritz is giving almost a full 1 point to White after d5.
after the check on a4 white is almost winning.

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 08:52 PM
does anyone know if the very last game of this could be decided by the black draw odds rule?

JGB
13-07-2004, 08:54 PM
does anyone know if the very last game of this could be decided by the black draw odds rule?

Whats That?? :confused:

Trizza
13-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Finally something I can relate to.

Me too. I have played this line as black but haven't been too pleased with the positions I got.

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Acording to chessbase, 8...Rc8 was already a novelty.

After W18 - I haven't put Fritz on but I think White is clearly winning.

JGB
13-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Black has to give a Rook for Knight and pawn now. Its almost over?!

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Whats That?? :confused:
from the fide rules for this championships.

3.2.7. Tie breaks

3.2.7.1. If the scores are level after the regular games, after a new drawing of colors, two tie break games shall be played. The games shall be played using the electronic clock starting with 25 minutes on the clock and the addition of 10 seconds after each move.

3.2.7.2. If the scores are level after the games in paragraph 3.2.7.1, then, after a new drawing of colors, 2 five-minute games shall be played with the addition of 10 seconds after each move.

3.2.7.3. If, the score is still level, the players shall play one decisive/sudden death game. The player, who wins the drawing of lots, may choose the color. White shall receive 6 minutes, Black shall receive 5 minutes, without any addition. The winner qualifies for the next round. In case of a draw the player with the black pieces qualifies for the next round.

3.2.7.4. Tiebreak and sudden death games

Trizza
13-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Acording to chessbase, 8...Rc8 was already a novelty.

Really?? I'm sure I saw it in a game in new in chess magazine.

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 09:07 PM

Believe so but can't find it explicitly, the event regulations don't include the final. They have to get through four rapids and then some number of blitz (two or four?) first.

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Believe so but can't find it explicitly, the event regulations don't include the final. They have to get through four rapids and then some number of blitz (two or four?) first.
i just posted regs that i thought were relevant, im sure you and i are hoping kasim wins the champs with draw odds black :D :lol: :owned: :whistle: :clap: :clap:

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Really?? I'm sure I saw it in a game in new in chess magazine.

It drops from 187 games with 8.Bc2 to zero with 8...Rc8. Not sure what's going on there.

Trizza
13-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Way back in 1997-98 the 1st knockout final between Anand and Adams was decided in a sudden death blitz game (though back then it was 4 minutes for white and 5 for black).

Still the regulations for that match were different to this one.

Trizza
13-07-2004, 09:16 PM
It drops from 187 games with 8.Bc2 to zero with 8...Rc8. Not sure what's going on there.

Sorry my mistake. The game I was thinking of (Rowson-Yermolinsky Philadelphia 2002) featured a slightly different position in the same variation.

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 09:16 PM
i just posted regs that i thought were relevant,

I wasn't sure if those applied to the final based on material elsewhere in the same regs. It doesn't even talk about the final as part of the event, says it must be played within two years somewhere but that's all. Odd.

im sure you and i are hoping kasim wins the champs with draw odds black :D :lol: :owned: :whistle: :clap: :clap:

That would be amusing.

Do my eyes mistake me or is Kasimdzhanov about to recover some material?

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 09:21 PM
That would be amusing.
im cheering for the draw odds win for kasim, i think that would just be the perfect way for showing how much of a joke this solcc is really :lol:

Trizza
13-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Do my eyes mistake me or is Kasimdzhanov about to recover some material?

I think you are right, Kasim is back in it! ;)

JGB
13-07-2004, 09:24 PM
no advantage anymore.
... black wins?!

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Adams is noted for skill at rapids but this guy doesn't seem to be too bad at them either. Black should hold this easily now.

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 09:33 PM
I think Black just missed a win - 49...Nxc5 with ...Rd7 to follow looked good.

Trizza
13-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Adams is noted for skill at rapids but this guy doesn't seem to be too bad at them either. Black should hold this easily now.

Surely 53. Bc5 was better - black's looking good now.

JGB
13-07-2004, 09:37 PM
its over! Black wins.

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 09:38 PM
its over!
kasim just won first game of rapids :lol: :clap:

JGB
13-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Adams what a loser, sorry, drops a piece in the end game.! :wall:

...next game starts shortly

Trizza
13-07-2004, 09:40 PM
kasim just won first game of rapids :lol: :clap:

What a comeback! :owned: :clap:

Also a very unAdams like collapse - still suffering from the disappointment of the missed opportunity in game 6? :hmm:

JGB
13-07-2004, 09:42 PM
What a comeback! :owned: :clap:

Also a very unAdams like collapse.

true but the time destroyed him in the end. Adams had an almost winning middle game that required too much time to control and benefit from. As a result he lost his edge and was down big on time in a theoretically drawn end game.

jeffrei
13-07-2004, 09:43 PM
A painful swindle but a very entertaining match.

At this point Adams may be regretting the fact that he doesn't really have an aggressive Black opening against 1 e4. I guess all openings have quiet variations but if he does his normal stuff an Exchange Ruy Lopez is definitely on the cards.

Trizza
13-07-2004, 09:47 PM
true but the time destroyed him in the end. Adams had an almost winning middle game that required too much time to control and benefit from. As a result he lost his edge and was down big on time in a theoretically drawn end game.

Adams is known for his fast play so this was a bit surprising - see my previous post.

JGB
13-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Rapids Game 2:
You picked it, another Lopez exchange.

JGB
13-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Its not as interesting as the last game, at least Adams has some time left.
It looks almost dead even.

So Bill Gletsos is 'Colossus' at Chessbase. ;)

Bill Gletsos
13-07-2004, 10:23 PM

So Bill Gletsos is 'Colossus' at Chessbase. ;)
It certainly isnt related to chess ability. ;)
I'm 1.98 metres tall so it seemed appropriate.

Trizza
13-07-2004, 10:49 PM

Down to a bishop ending. Surely Adams can't win now.

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Extremely drawish now, Kasim is in time trouble but a few quick moves will fix that.

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Extremely drawish now, Kasim is in time trouble but a few quick moves will fix that.
kasim v kaspa

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Draw. Time for Adams to make some use of those white pieces, or things start looking very grim.

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Draw. Time for Adams to make some use of those white pieces, or things start looking very grim.
is it four game rapid?

eclectic
13-07-2004, 10:57 PM

what do you mean ?

IT'S OVER !!

JGB
13-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Kasim is the new FIDE champion!

Its just two games or am I wrong??

eclectic
13-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Kasim is the new FIDE champion!

Its just two games or am I wrong??

http://wcclibya2004.com/results.asp

shows the cross table as "final results"

icc was saying it was 2 rapids not 4 and that adams had to win game 2 to stay in ... which hasn't happened

eclectic

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 11:11 PM
http://wcclibya2004.com/results.asp

shows the cross table as "final results"

icc was saying it was 2 rapids not 4 and that adams had to win game 2 to stay in ... which hasn't happened

eclectic
they just packed away the pieces on real player live coverage, so its over and its kasim v kasparov :lol:

eclectic
13-07-2004, 11:13 PM
http://www.fide.com/default.asp?curpage=1&x=0.8385431

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Oh dear, is it really only two? I would have paid more attention to game two had I known that. :oops:

Used to be four for the finals.

EDIT: Yep, it's official. Kasimdzhanov is the 2004 Semi Open Libyan Chess Champion and now qualifies for a match with some has-been whose claims to the real world championship title are arguably even more slender. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cynicism aside, Kasim has been a very tough cookie under pressure, he's had to scrape all the way but he's always been able to stay in there. And his results in the rapid playoffs have been outstanding.

As for Adams, what a disaster. First the missed win yesterday, then losing with a large material advantage today.

Trizza
13-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Oh dear, is it really only two? I would have paid more attention to game two had I known that. :oops:

Used to be four for the finals.

You didn't miss too much - Kasim was always pretty safe and Adams if anything had to accept a slight disadvantage to unbalance the position. Still couldn't create much though and Kasim easily headed for the draw.

Kevin Bonham
14-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Two hours after the match ended I can only find one post-match hit on Google News for "Kasimdzhanov".

It's this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3890567.stm

Gives a good idea how critically FIDE can get reported - most of the article is about defects of FIDE and controversies and not about the chess.

The article isn't very accurate actually - the political balance is about right IMO but the top players' various reasons for not playing are grossly simplified and hence indirectly sensationalised. And there's really no need for that when the facts are damning enough. :wall: