PDA

View Full Version : Who to Vote For???

Arrogant-One
08-09-2006, 03:42 PM
So last year I decided to exchange my permanent residency in Australia which I had held for years, for citizenship. I took the oath, got the certificate and had to fill out the voter registration paper work among other paper work.

Now there is a Queensland state election and I apparently have to vote or face a fine for not voting.

This would be all good except that the choice of who to vote for is really hard.

On one hand we have the incumbant Labour Party and premier Beattie. I am told they've been in power since 98. There biggest stuff ups include failing to ensure adequate water supply for SE Qld, allowing doctors trained in third world countries to practise in Qld hospitals and the obvious results (ie. Patel - Bundaberg), and my personal pet peeve with them - appointing an information commissioner who doesn't have a legal background or a law degree.

On the other hand we have the so-called coalition. There has been this Dr Flegg who begun the campaign very poorly and never really seemed to improve. Their policy to address the water shortage seems weak, and I may be wrong but I don't think it includes any new desalination plants (Labour is building one). I don't think the coalition has complained at all during the campaign about the dangers of foreign trained doctors working in Queensland hospitals. The only good thing about the coalitions campaign has been Lawerence Springborg's recent appearance on Lateline where I thought he conducted himself very well, showed that he was intelligent, and criticised the incumbent party without looking too petty or partisan.

As there is no Family First candidate in my riding which might have presented an alternative, and independents are a wasted vote, I am stuck in having to chose either Labour or the Coalition.

As such I thought maybe bb users might have something productive or insightful to say which could help me make a choice tomorrow.

Bill Gletsos
08-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Now there is a Queensland state election and I apparently have to vote or face a fine for not voting.Actually all you have to do is turn up and get your name ticked on the electrol roll. You can then just leave your voting for blank and deposit it in the voting box.

Garvinator
08-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Actually all you have to do is turn up and get your name ticked on the electrol roll. You can then just leave your voting for blank and deposit it in the voting box.
this is my option for this election in qld :D

Alan Shore
08-09-2006, 04:02 PM
On the campaign front there's been a lot of negative advertisements from both parties, yet no positive ones from the coalition on television. All this says to me is they have no useful policy, whereas the ALP is at least addressing their critics and have shown they're capable of developing plans to combat these problems.

Beattie has done a lot for QLD infrastructure, we'd still all be farmers if we had another Sir Joh running things and I think he can tackle these problems of health and water adequately.

bergil
08-09-2006, 04:10 PM
So last year I decided to exchange my permanent residency in Australia which I had held for years, for citizenship. I took the oath, got the certificate and had to fill out the voter registration paper work among other paper work.

Now there is a Queensland state election and I apparently have to vote or face a fine for not voting.Just donkey vote you'd be a natural! :P

Arrogant-One
08-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Just donkey vote you'd be a natural! :P
I can't. If I show up then I have to vote or it becomes a 'waste' of my precious time (tempting as donkey balloting may be).

Garvinator
08-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I dont think any party has done anything worthy of my vote, anyones vote in fact, but I cant vote for everyone ;). Labor created a lot of the current problems ie health, water, basic infrastructure, roads et al. I dont think the Nationals or Liberals could do any better to solve the problems either and there is no real third organisation.

In my electorate, Labor will win with over 50% of the primary vote, so voting for anyone else except the Liberal candidate really is a waste of time. I am a hard core green voter, but in my seat, it is a different green candidate in each election, so that particular candidate wont get my vote either. So I will just walk in, get my name marked off to avoid the fine and go on with other things to do.

bergil
08-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I dont think any party has done anything worthy of my vote, anyones vote in fact, but I cant vote for everyone ;). Labor created a lot of the current problems ie health, water, basic infrastructure, roads et al. I dont think the Nationals or Liberals could do any better to solve the problems either and there is no real third organisation.

In my electorate, Labor will win with over 50% of the primary vote, so voting for anyone else except the Liberal candidate really is a waste of time. I am a hard core green voter, but in my seat, it is a different green candidate in each election, so that particular candidate wont get my vote either. So I will just walk in, get my name marked off to avoid the fine and go on with other things to do.I was going to suggest your vote green if that's you intention in the senate/Upper House but Queensland doesn't have one do they?

Garvinator
08-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I was going to suggest your vote green if that's you intention in the senate/Upper House but Queensland doesn't have one do they?
No senate/upper house.

Desmond
08-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Beattie certainly deserves to lose, but he will win due to there being no meaningful alternative.

arosar
08-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Speaking of pollies, how about them Canberra pollies increasing their super and salary? I mean, FMD! And wasn't it funny how Howard was going on about how we must not pander to the sort of populism that Latham was pandering to. HELLO!! This guy is about as populist as they come, the pri*ck.

And how about it when an indenpendent challenged the whole decision. As usual, the Libs backbenchers started howling. Howard, this was so funny, kept saying to his mob, "sshh...keep quiet. Keep quiet"

AR

Garvinator
08-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Beattie certainly deserves to lose, but he will win due to there being no meaningful alternative.
I would love to have a bet on beattie having a greater majority.

qpawn
08-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Actually it is, technically, an offence on the books to vote informal. However, privacy laws mean that your identity can never be linked to your informal vote. Hence, in practical terms informal voting becomes legal. This is where that weird incident with Albert Langer crops up. He was prosecuted for telling people to vote informal. By the letter of the law Langer was breaking the law by telling people to do informal votes. Of course in reality this prosecution was ludicrous. He became the first "prisoner of conscience [!]" in this country for a long time and was recognised by Amnesty International as such.

Weirs stupid electoral laws. This country is full of them.

MichaelBaron
09-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Vote for the truth:owned:

Ian Murray
09-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Anyone who was around in Queenland under Bjelke-Petersen and the Special Branch, with the paper bags full of cash as a pre-requisite for commercial developments, would be in no hurry to see the Nationals back in power

Garvinator
09-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Anyone who was around in Queenland under Bjelke-Petersen and the Special Branch, with the paper bags full of cash as a pre-requisite for commercial developments, would be in no hurry to see the Nationals back in power
Unfortunately this is part of the problem. The nationals still see Sir Joh as a hero and Beattie has said on a few occasions that he admired Sir Joh and would like to be like him in some aspects as a premier :eek:

Basil
09-09-2006, 03:31 PM

I didn't vote for the Nationals, but that assertion, as I am sure you well know, is flawed! One might as well argue that all Democratic Presidents will demand their knobs being polished [as in door handles of the White House with Mr Sheen, of course].

As a secondary issue, I would appreciate the title of this thread being changed to "For Whom To Vote"

Garrett
09-09-2006, 04:43 PM
I would love to have a bet on beattie having a greater majority.
Garvin

I believe Beattie will win but his majority will be reduced so I will take you up on that bet. It's for a beer.

Cheers
George.

Garrett
09-09-2006, 05:01 PM
I didn't vote for the Nationals, but that assertion, as I am sure you well know, is flawed! One might as well argue that all Democratic Presidents will demand their knobs being polished [as in door handles of the White House with Mr Sheen, of course].

As a secondary issue, I would appreciate the title of this thread being changed to "For Whom To Vote"

Since when have we given snivelling barmy army supporters the vote !

you know what this means Howard, you have to learn to love the wallaby's, the kangaroos, and you have to learn to walk when you nick one !

Garrett
09-09-2006, 05:03 PM
As a secondary issue, I would appreciate the title of this thread being changed to "For Whom To Vote"[/COLOR]

Sorry mate, I don't think there's a Mr Whom running today.

Ian Murray
09-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Of course it's flawed - a wild generalisation with no relevance to this day and age :)

But I'll still never vote for 'em!

Basil
09-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Of course it's flawed - a wild generalisation with no relevance to this day and age :)
Well I am glad we're agreed, because in case you had forgotten the very system you seek to besmerch is the same one we've adopted on Council, remember? :)

you know what this means Howard, you have to learn to love the wallaby's, the kangaroos...
Every night, while we're away from home!

Garrett
09-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Well I drew my inspiration from Homer's Iliad, book 5, verse 863 and cast my vote accordingly.

"Father Zeus, aren't you angry with Ares for killing off those warriors? He's wiped out so many Achaean men, good ones, too, and so rashly. It's not right. It pains me."
yeah that's a relevant issue

Alan Shore
09-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Ship it to the ALP. :cool:

After 31% of the vote, projections have ALP at 60/89 seats, Coalition 24 and 5 others.

Garrett
09-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Agreed George! I am sure many people voted after reading Homer's masterpiece :P

But apart from great literary works, the Gods were yesterday asking themselves "How come George hasn't come to poker tonight?".

I told them you were performing 12 labours and that when you were done you would come immediately.
I voted after taking account of Homer too, on the Simpsons last nite.

I posted a question as to where you were playing but was too drunk/unconscious to read any reply.... burrrp.

Garvinator
09-09-2006, 07:51 PM

After 31% of the vote, projections have ALP at 60/89 seats, Coalition 24 and 5 others.
Lester's beer is in danger ;)

Goughfather
09-09-2006, 09:29 PM

Surely some of those 89 seats would be too close to call?

Still, if the projections are correct it looks like it might another two terms for the ALP in the Sunshine State. Barring some Watergate-esque scandal or Khemlani loans affair, of course ...

Garvinator
09-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Surely some of those 89 seats would be too close to call?

Still, if the projections are correct it looks like it might another two terms for the ALP in the Sunshine State. Barring some Watergate-esque scandal or Khemlani loans affair, of course ...
With 73% of the vote counted and counting closed for the night, the margin that Belthasar relayed still looks correct according to projections.

Labor have already had their so called watergate type scandals (ie scandals that should have brought them to opposition) including health, water, electricity, the list goes on, but the opposition had been so incompetent including not have a health policy at the time of the calling of the election when it was obvious that health was going to be with water the main issues.

So, yes it does look like another two terms or at least five years with Labor. No dst :(

Garvinator
09-09-2006, 10:04 PM
I have always wondered, in these modern time and sophisicated methods, why does voting close at 9:30pm approx? :eek:

Basil
09-09-2006, 10:06 PM
I have always wondered, in these modern time and sophisicated methods, why does voting close at 9:30pm approx? :eek:
Voting closes at 6pm sharp. Are you referring to counting, darling? :)

Garvinator
09-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Voting closes at 6pm sharp. Are you referring to counting, darling? :)
yes, should have read, why does vote counting close at 9:30pm :eek:

Basil
09-09-2006, 10:37 PM
yes, should have read, why does vote counting close at 9:30pm :eek:
I don't believe counting closes at 9:30. Certainly they DO NOT count through the night, but I think the go home time is 11ish midnight ish - Kevin should know.

Ian Murray
10-09-2006, 09:34 AM

Well I am glad we're agreed, because in case you had forgotten the very system you seek to besmerch is the same one we've adopted on Council, remember? :)

Is that right? You mean there are bags of cash on the table before Council meetings - someone has been getting mine!!

Arrogant-One
10-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Is that right? You mean there are bags of cash on the table before Council meetings - someone has been getting mine!!
Well the CAQ has been getting a healthy income from the excessive $10 annual CAQ membership fee which should rightly be halved to $5.

As for these bags of cash Howard has spoken of, they weren't around when I was CAQ Vice President.

Garrett
10-09-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't believe counting closes at 9:30. Certainly they DO NOT count through the night, but I think the go home time is 11ish midnight ish - Kevin should know.
Counting would have been over rather quickly as people are only voting for one person. Some Council elections can be a pain in the arse. I did the last full council election in Hervey Bay and there were 22 candidates and people had to choose eight - on the one ballot paper. Counting was a nightmare and my booth only finished the preliminary count at about 10:40pm.

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2006, 03:55 AM
As there is no Family First candidate in my riding which might have presented an alternative, and independents are a wasted vote, I am stuck in having to chose either Labour or the Coalition.

Independents are not a wasted vote. You can vote 1 independent and then 2 for your next preferred candidate. If the independent you vote for does not win, your preference goes to the next candidate on your list as if you had voted 1 for them.

Actually it is, technically, an offence on the books to vote informal. However, privacy laws mean that your identity can never be linked to your informal vote. Hence, in practical terms informal voting becomes legal. This is where that weird incident with Albert Langer crops up. He was prosecuted for telling people to vote informal. By the letter of the law Langer was breaking the law by telling people to do informal votes. Of course in reality this prosecution was ludicrous. He became the first "prisoner of conscience [!]" in this country for a long time and was recognised by Amnesty International as such.

Langer votes were initially formal, then the authorities declared them informal meaning that Langer could be prosecuted for advocating an informal vote.

I agree that you should be allowed to encourage an informal vote.

I did the last full council election in Hervey Bay and there were 22 candidates and people had to choose eight - on the one ballot paper. Counting was a nightmare and my booth only finished the preliminary count at about 10:40pm.

In Tasmania most of our elections are like that and the names appear in randomised order on the paper. A full count and preference distribution for a large city council takes about 3 days.

Garvinator
12-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Independents are not a wasted vote. You can vote 1 independent and then 2 for your next preferred candidate. If the independent you vote for does not win, your preference goes to the next candidate on your list as if you had voted 1 for them.
what if you dont want to vote for any of the candidates;)

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2006, 04:26 AM
what if you dont want to vote for any of the candidates;)

In Queensland you have the pleasant luxury of stopping at 1 and your vote still counting.

Arrogant-One has the wrong approach to this, by the way. Voting isn't about getting enthused about who to put first. It's about deciding which dingbat most deserves to go last, then filling the squares upwards until you get to 1 (the least undeserving of the sorry bunch). Too bad that most voting systems place so much emphasis on the #1 vote while who you put last or second last rarely matters.

Ian Murray
14-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Canada's gain is our loss

Garrett
14-09-2006, 04:51 PM
ooohhh - that could be inflammatory !

Kevin Bonham
14-09-2006, 07:50 PM

11 is a normal go-home time for election counting on the night in my experience but it's bound to vary by state. I didn't follow this election on the night though because it was completely obvious to me well in advance that it would be the massacre it was and I had a chess tournament to play in the next day.

Unlike the Queensland election where One Nation won 10 or so seats - I listened to that on Radio National; one of the most fascinating election nights I can remember.

Arrogant-One
27-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi Ian,

Word has it that you and Howard Duggan hail from the UK. If I'm not mistaken even your own wife is overseas born.

As such, your comment above is most curious.

Nevertheless, I will refrain from making a like natured insult about your country of origin even though you made one about mine.