PDA

View Full Version : rybka 2.1 got murdered

dissturbbed
06-09-2006, 03:49 PM
yea i couldnt believe it while i was on pogo i installed playbuddy which is an auto mover, you can use this program to cheat however since i am an honest player my user name is mrautoprogtoyou and i let every one know that i use a program, well on this site i did some research and found out that rybka 2.1 seemed to be the strongest uci chess engine, i downloaded it and installed it into buddy, i played other programs all day long and was undefeated till this one player destroyed rybka with only a few moves, after he left another player came along and defeated it without a problem, i know it isnt my computer because i have one of the fastest processors, " amd fx-60 " with two gigs of ram, ge force 7900 gt video card, i was playing one minute bullet chess so the engine didnt have long to think ahead but same goes for the other player, does anybody have a clue why i lost and what could be done about it ? any suggestions would be helpful

pax
06-09-2006, 06:38 PM
It's good, it's not unbeatable. Especially at bullet.

Probably your opponent was also using a computer, quite possibly also Rybka.

To know which of two computer engines is stronger, you really need 50 games or more to make a judgment with any sense of certainty.

Post the games if you want analysis on why Rybka might have lost. If the games were short, it might have been down to a dodgy opening book and nothing to do with the engine at all.

dissturbbed
06-09-2006, 07:04 PM
It's good, it's not unbeatable. Especially at bullet.

Probably your opponent was also using a computer, quite possibly also Rybka.

To know which of two computer engines is stronger, you really need 50 games or more to make a judgment with any sense of certainty.

Post the games if you want analysis on why Rybka might have lost. If the games were short, it might have been down to a dodgy opening book and nothing to do with the engine at all.
well what else would beat it ? only one i havent played it agianst was hiarcs, every other chess engine that i have tested in winboard got stomped by rybka

pax
08-09-2006, 10:00 AM
well what else would beat it ? only one i havent played it agianst was hiarcs, every other chess engine that i have tested in winboard got stomped by rybka

Every other strong engine (Shredder 10, Junior 10, Fritz 9, Fruit, Toga, Zappa) will sometimes beat Rybka. But if you take a long match (like 50 games) Rybka will come out on top.

See for example the match results here:
http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/Replay/table.htm

bigsecksie
17-10-2007, 05:29 PM
alright. i downloaded rybka as well. is there any trick to installing it into playbuddy? ive got my exe file put into playbuddys engine tab but it doesnt really appear to play any better than playbuddy itself? ive tried both 2.3 and the beta version. any ideas?

Davidflude
17-10-2007, 09:04 PM
yea i couldnt believe it while i was on pogo i installed playbuddy which is an auto mover, you can use this program to cheat however since i am an honest player my user name is mrautoprogtoyou and i let every one know that i use a program, well on this site i did some research and found out that rybka 2.1 seemed to be the strongest uci chess engine, i downloaded it and installed it into buddy, i played other programs all day long and was undefeated till this one player destroyed rybka with only a few moves, after he left another player came along and defeated it without a problem, i know it isnt my computer because i have one of the fastest processors, " amd fx-60 " with two gigs of ram, ge force 7900 gt video card, i was playing one minute bullet chess so the engine didnt have long to think ahead but same goes for the other player, does anybody have a clue why i lost and what could be done about it ? any suggestions would be helpful

Bullet is an absurd speed to test an engine. Try it at a normal over the board time control or let it look at some really difficult correspondence positions - Estrin Berliner is one I let engines look at.

bigsecksie
18-10-2007, 01:28 AM
ok thanks. any ideas on some actual top speed engines? i tend to play 1 minute games most frequently.

Davidflude
18-10-2007, 11:18 AM
ok thanks. any ideas on some actual top speed engines? i tend to play 1 minute games most frequently.

One thing that you might try is changing the opening book. For example try getting Rybka to use the Shredder opening book. the results could be interesting. I suspect that opening books created around normal time controls may not be suitable for bullet.

You should try Rybka at bullet with

1. d4 Nf6 2. g4 for example.

or 1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4.Nxe5 It is unsound but the theory is very tricky.

bigsecksie
18-10-2007, 12:41 PM
how do i load new books into rybka? im not very familiar with the software to be honest. every time i open rybka it runs in my command prompt

theclockndagger
17-11-2007, 06:56 AM
I really would like to know how you get the engine to play bullet in the first place since there is not enough tweaking options in playbuddy to tell the engine to play fast. Mine plays best in a long match, which is frustrating :( (rybka 2.1)