PDA

View Full Version : Poker feud over

Watto
30-08-2006, 11:34 AM
A week or so ago I mentioned in the shout box that Mark Vos (one of Australia's best poker players, young ex South African, now a Queenslander) didn't get on with Hachem... although he had conceded in Vegas recently (to the surprise of some given comments he had made in the past) that Hachem was one of Australia's best tournament players. Latest development below..

The Vic Championships are on at the moment and both of them were there yesterday (I was only metres away from Hachem at one point yesterday evening... was quite exciting to see a world champ strolling around :)).

Anyway, in the early hours of this morning on pokernetwork the following post by Mark Vos appeared:

"Posted: 04:21 AM 28 Aug 06 Subject: A bit of good news....
Joe Hachem came to the poker room today and we had a conversation.

We both let off some steam and put everything out in the open. He made some good points about things that I had done which were crossing a line. I expressed the reasons for my frustrations. We both acknowledged each others points and I truthfully apologised to him for my actions.

We hope that this the is the end of any problems we have had, and we can move on together in the best interests of each other, and Australian poker."

Joe H replied later on thanking Mark for his post, agreeing he hoped they would move on now.

Alan Shore
30-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Yes, it seems poker players have a bit more maturity, hey Watto? ;)

Watto
31-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Yes, it seems poker players have a bit more maturity, hey Watto? ;)
lol, wasn’t very subtle was I. Still, an interesting poker story in its own right. :)

arosar
31-08-2006, 09:33 AM
what was the nature of their disagreement?

AR

Watto
31-08-2006, 10:49 AM
what was the nature of their disagreement?

AR
I don’t have all the inside info on it at all. As I understand it, they just haven’t gotten along. Mutual animosity stemming from a number of things.

They’re quite different: Vos is in his early twenties, single and sometimes a bit of a hothead. Hachem is in his 40s, a family man and had just won the WSOP and a multi-million dollar cash prize, world-wide fame (it's quite amazing when you see him in person- everyone's looking at him... talking about him, an overnight change). So a fair bit of professional rivalry, jealousy, frustration could account for some of the problem I suppose.
Anyway, after Hachem won in 2005, Vos (and his mates) made a habit of making disrespectful comments about Hachem and his ability as a poker player (mostly relative to other current Australian players I think). It was starting to get quite divisive with Vos and Hachem camps- a pity since Australia doesn’t get a world champ all that often. I don’t know how much of a role Hachem played apart from not appreciating the comments- he might have, I simply don’t know as I haven’t followed it that closely. But at the last WSOP event in Vegas, in a post on pokernetwork, Vos included Hachem in his list of Australia’s best tournament players- ie he conceded his win last year wasn’t just a fluke … the beginning of the diplomatic thaw…

Hachem’s results since that win have also helped establish his credentials (prior to his Vegas win he was a Melbourne poker pro but not one of the stars).

Vos had a huge win in Vegas himself recently- might have made him feel a bit more generous, less frustrated. ;) Also appreciative of what it takes to win an event with that many entries, that many hours of play, that much at stake.

Belthasar is a friend of a friend of Vos so he might have other insights.

Alan Shore
31-08-2006, 06:27 PM
That's basically correct Watto, Mark thought Hachem was a patzer who got lucky and not a 'real pro', Hachem got upset because he believed he deserved more respect, but they've pretty much patched things up now. Mark's only 22 and has a bright future ahead of him (he was dux of his school and was studying statistics before he quit to become a poker professional).

arosar
31-08-2006, 07:46 PM
So basically this young bloke was being a prick? If Hachem was a Sydney Lebo, this Vos bloke woulda been done in by now I reckon.

AR

Alan Shore
31-08-2006, 08:34 PM
So basically this young bloke was being a prick? If Hachem was a Sydney Lebo, this Vos bloke woulda been done in by now I reckon.

AR

Haha! But I think Mark was justified in having his opinion - Hachem at the time was not a pro and was a nobody. Since he's since showed himself to be not just a one-hit wonder Mark has conceded he may be one of the best Australian poker players.

As for your 'Lebo' comment, are you insinuating Lebs are volatile people who engage in violent acts of retribution? :hmm:

ElevatorEscapee
02-09-2006, 10:29 AM
... Mark's only 22 and has a bright future ahead of him (he was dux of his school and was studying statistics before he quit to become a poker professional).

One of the units I am studying right now is statistics... if I had a choice I would give it up for a game of poker too!

ER
02-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Do they have time control in Championship Poker? I am asking because it looks as though they take like forever to play during those TV Poker shows!
Cheers and good luck to all!

Alan Shore
02-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Do they have time control in Championship Poker? I am asking because it looks as though they take like forever to play during those TV Poker shows!

The only control for speed they have are the increasing blind levels. Not only that but those tv poker shows are heavily edited. So yeah, some of these tournaments can take days to complete (yet they start with something like 5,000 entrants).

ER
02-09-2006, 10:02 PM
thanks fot the info Belthasar
Cheers and good luck!

Gattaca
25-09-2006, 09:50 PM

You can call 'time' on a player if they are taking too long to make a decision. Not being chess though, it appears to be subjective as to what 'too long' is. If someone calls time on you the dealer gives you (I think) 60 seconds before your hand is declared dead.

I had a funny incident on my table in the recent Vic Championship teams event when Tony Hachem, brother of Joe, was thinking for quite a while about calling a large raise. A young kid, who just happened to be the partner of Mark Vos in the event, called time on him. Tony H spat the dummy big time. Thought the kid should show more respect.

After a fair bit of Tony H abusing the kid a big guy at the table said to Tony H, "just shut up and make a decision, you know you're going to fold anyway."

Then it got really heated!

The exchange that got me laughing out loud was when Tony H said, "You're a big guy with a big mouth", and the big bloke fired back something along the lines of, "safer than being a small guy with a big mouth."

Anyway, Hachem folded as predicted, but him and his partner went on to finish in the money. My partner, Tony Holland (formerly of Dandenong chess club and a pretty decent tournament poker player) went all in under the gun with 2-2 when we were short stacked... end of story!

I still reckon I had the best Tony H in my camp :)

firegoat7
25-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Y

Anyway, Hachem folded as predicted, but him and his partner went on to finish in the money. My partner, Tony Holland (formerly of Dandenong chess club and a pretty decent tournament poker player) went all in under the gun with 2-2 when we were short stacked... end of story!

But I bet if you were on the receiving end the deuce would have tripled on the river.;)

cheers Fg7

Arrogant-One
12-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Belthasar is a friend of a friend of Vos so he might have other insights.
It appears everyone in Brisbane these days is 'a friend of a friend' of Voss.

I was on the bus the other day when I lawyer know said that his brother was called in the early morning hours by Voss who wanted him to leave for Fiji that very moment, all expenses paid by Voss of course - after a big win in Vegas.

Apparently they had a great time, as others had also been invited to attend.