PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading

Davidflude
18-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Hi all, I am thinking of upgrading

I have an Athlon 1200 with 700+ megs of memory and a Geoforce MMX graphics card running under Windows XP.

I have a known problem caused because my memory is of different types.

I have a full tower which I have lifted off the floor which has improved airflow. (Before the case would get hot on hot days, now it stays cool with a bog standard fan).

The configuration happily runs chessbase, Shredder, Easyoffice, and a graphics program at once with very fast program switching. This is great for
writing magazine articles.

My main hassle is that speech to text runs slowly. My configuration stacked up well on madonion.

I am thinking of moving up to a much faster athlon and replacing my memory.
The old memory will find a good home in PC's at the Box Hill chess club. I also need more USB slots

I cannot overclock without voiding my warranty.

I backup all crucial files once a week. (Yes I have had to reformat my harddisk and reinstall everything twice.)

I need ideas on how fast an Athlon is worth buying at this time and what sort of memory I should choose.

skip to my lou
21-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Dont think I would buy AMD again.

I am upgrading to:

P4 3.2Ghz C 800Mhz FSB
2GB Geil High Performance RAM

skip to my lou
21-03-2004, 01:37 PM
The case I am getting is Thermaltake Xaser III V1000+ Black Steel, around $250. Includes 7 fans in the price.

skip to my lou
21-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Changed my mind. Thinking of getting VM2000A now, also from Tt @ $225:

http://cworld.com.au/images_php/thermltakev2000a.jpg

skip to my lou
26-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Got this:

P4 3.2 Ghz
2GB Kingston RAM
80 GB SATA 8MB HDD
Damier V5000 Case
Motherboard: GA-8KNXP

skip to my lou
26-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Got this:

P4 3.2 Ghz
2GB Kingston RAM
80 GB SATA 8MB HDD
Damier V5000 Case
Motherboard: GA-8KNXP

Heres some pics

http://www.chesschat.org/1337/

Davidflude
27-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Try running the latest version of madonion. Of course your graphics card will
impact on the result.

Try the chess test on the Rebel chess site.

You might invest in the latest version of Shredder. With your configuration it should run like a scalded cat.

My rule of thumb based on several computers is that double your processor speed and double the size of the hash tables and your chess program will run twice as fast.

Gandalf
29-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Hey, I like your mouse. Better than mine. I still haven't seen the new CK system in all its glory...

skip to my lou
29-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Hey, I like your mouse. Better than mine. I still haven't seen the new CK system in all its glory...

Its the new IntelliMouse explorer where the wheel also tilts sideways.

Gandalf
02-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Its the new IntelliMouse explorer where the wheel also tilts sideways.
Yeah I've seen that, should make graphic imaging on miniscreen hell easier. Well not that much, since I just need to click the wheel to go sideways anyway. But you know what I mean. Still, I could use a spiffy mouse. Almost as much as a PowerMac G5.