PDA

View Full Version : David Smerdon Wins a Tournament in Holland!

MichaelBaron
23-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Congratulations to David on coming equal 1st in an extremely strong Weekender in Holland :clap:

1. Korneev, Oleg g RUS 2638 5.0 25.0 20.00 19.5
2. Miezis, Normunds g LAT 2527 5.0 23.5 18.50 19.5
3. Smerdon, David m AUS 2472 5.0 23.0 18.75 17.5
4. Ernst, Sipke m NED 2504 5.0 23.0 18.50 18.0
5. Senff, Martin m GER 2464 5.0

http://www.stukkenjagers.nl/weekend/

EGOR
23-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Well done!:clap:

Rincewind
23-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Well done!:clap:

Two of David's endgame positions were analysed by Alex Baburin in his daily newsletter too.

MichaelBaron
23-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Two of David's endgame positions were analysed by Alex Baburin in his daily newsletter too.

David is a very strong endgame player...I have had a chance to play a very exiting endgame against him recently in Elwood open. He played strongly despite being short of time.. I had a better position throughout but he held it very confidently

Watto
23-08-2006, 02:24 PM
You can find one of them in the round 5 bulletin. My very quick and rough translation for people who can’t read Dutch: The GMs spent little energy on board one- a 13 move draw. But the picture was completely different behind them. David Smerdon and Martijn Dambacher fought out a complex duel with unequal material. In the endgame, David had king and queen against Dambacher’s king, rook (loper?) and knight.

Then there’s a sentence which I find a bit difficult so I could be misleading you all: The engines (tablebases?) indicate mate (mat?) … move 35 but … no hole in the defense to shoot (hehe) which I assume means couldn’t find a hole in the defence.
The end came abruptly when Dambacher mistakenly (pardoes?) gave away a piece.

I’ll leave it to someone else to do the other bulletin if they want to. Feel free to correct my mistakes! :)

pax
23-08-2006, 02:34 PM
A good result, but as third seed not an unexpected one. His one blip was a draw against a 2053 player in round one.

Ian Murray
23-08-2006, 03:55 PM
A good result, but as third seed not an unexpected one. His one blip was a draw against a 2053 player in round one.
He'll have plenty of chances to redeem himself. He's wangled a spot on the Uni of Melb exchange program, and will be finishing his degree in Amsterdam

pax
23-08-2006, 04:48 PM
He'll have plenty of chances to redeem himself. He's wangled a spot on the Uni of Melb exchange program, and will be finishing his degree in Amsterdam

Wow, that's excellent. Hopefully he will now have a few opportunities to nail those GM norms.

Afitz
23-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah he is on exchange until i think its March next year....studying and playing chess. He has managed to find a club to let him play in the bundesliga as well which will provide him many more chances for the final norm he needs. From memory he is playing board one for the team too which would help.

Hopefully we will see many more victories and soon another GM for Australia!:D

Garvinator
23-08-2006, 10:23 PM
him many more chances for the final norm he needs.
I believe that he actually needs two norms. He could have gotten one 20 game norm from the Olympiad, but apart from that I think he only has one 9 game norm atm.

Bill Gletsos
23-08-2006, 10:40 PM
I believe that he actually needs two norms. He could have gotten one 20 game norm from the Olympiad, but apart from that I think he only has one 9 game norm atm.I believe his norm from the Australian Championships was a 11 game norm.
As such he needs a 16 game norm to get his required 27 games. Given it is highly unlikely he can find an event that will give him a 16 or even a 20 game norm then he needs two more 9 game norms.

antichrist
24-08-2006, 12:10 PM
See if we can do an exchange for some GMs to come here, free study and accommo maybe in trade for some rating points.

MichaelBaron
24-08-2006, 01:05 PM
See if we can do an exchange for some GMs to come here, free study and accommo maybe in trade for some rating points.

And who will pay for GMs to come here?:hmm: Good Idea, but unrealistic without sponsorship

pax
24-08-2006, 01:28 PM
And who will pay for GMs to come here?:hmm: Good Idea, but unrealistic without sponsorship

Lets get some Burmese players to come here as asylum seekers. They would provide a massive ratings boost for the Australian system :)

Only thing is they will only have to languish on Nauru for 3 years or so while their claims are being processed. Nauru International Chess Open anyone?

MichaelBaron
24-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Lets get some Burmese players to come here as asylum seekers. They would provide a massive ratings boost for the Australian system :)

Only thing is they will only have to languish on Nauru for 3 years or so while their claims are being processed. Nauru International Chess Open anyone?

Thats a great Idea...it is also an only chance for a 2300 rated FMs to become GMs :owned: if we invite those people...we will soon have 15 GMs or so:lol:

Garvinator
24-08-2006, 02:46 PM

Gary Bekker is involved in running the Palau championship, so there you go :whistle: