PDA

View Full Version : Could it be a draw by any chance?

compchess
10-08-2006, 11:00 PM
1b1k1b1b/2b5/P6b/8/7b/8/8/1K6 w - - 0 1

.....more important is.....which engines know this. Also, in the previous thread Mr Baron is wrong.

Sorry, but that's only a fact and nothing criminal whatsoever.....

There are many engines over 2000+ elo that have trouble with mate in one positions. Mostly this is down to how they search the game tree. Engines that search the root first will always find mate in one's. Those which process captures first will take more time. In fact some engines will never be able to solve the previous position as there are too many captures involved. More likely is they will crash.

:cool:

Chris

Kevin Bonham
10-08-2006, 11:22 PM
I'll be impressed if any leading engine knows that is a draw.

I'm interested in the inclusion of the white pawn. Without it black cannot win by any series of legal moves and the game would be ended by an arbiter immediately as a draw by dead position. (Just programming an engine to recognise all dead positions when they appear seems a formidable task since in some cases establishing that a position is dead involves complex analysis.) With it both sides can win with possible series of legal moves, but this requires co-operation from the opponent (black can mathematically mate if white underpromotes to knight or LSB and then helpmates).

compchess
10-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Do you have Hiarcs 9 or 10 by any chance Kevin?

If so....a little later I can show you something quite incredible that may further facilitate the point.

Others will enjoy it too, of this we are sure.

Chris

Kevin Bonham
11-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Alas no.

Bill Gletsos
11-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Deep Shredder 10 knows virtually instantaneously that if it plays a7 its a draw although still shows all other moves as a massive advantage to black. :doh:

Bill Gletsos
11-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Do you have Hiarcs 9 or 10 by any chance Kevin?

If so....a little later I can show you something quite incredible that may further facilitate the point.

Others will enjoy it too, of this we are sure.

ChrisHiarcs 10 wont even analyse the position once there are more than 3 black bishops on the board.

Kevin Bonham
11-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Hiarcs 10 wont even analyse the position once there are more than 3 black bishops on the board.

It's a spoilsport then. :D My first ever chess computer, a "CXG" which I bought in c.1987 and which played, very slowly, at about 1400 strength, was quite happy to analyse K+31 pawns vs K+31 pawns, at least until it ran out of memory.

I still use the thing, by the way. Not as a computer (some of the sensors don't work so it's broken) but as my favourite analysis board.