PDA

View Full Version : People Behind the Posts

MichaelBaron
10-08-2006, 01:17 AM
While some of us are posting under our real names, some of the posters are hard to identify. I think it is best if it is compulsory for all the posters to have their real names availalbe to others.

This measure will:
a) make it easier for us to understand who is who
b) make all of the posters more responsible

What do you think?:hmm:

Desmond
10-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Personally, I am happy with the situation as is currently stands.

Anonymity is a powerful tool for many who would otherwise not post. People whose opinion might not be listened to (because of who they are) can have their ideas judged on their merits.

Of course, if they want to go to the next level and drag known posters over the coals for "real life" issues, they will have little credibility. It is one thing to pick a fight; quite another to hide in the bushes with a sniper rifle.

antichrist
10-08-2006, 01:25 PM
There are some sharpshooters like Clog who persist with mentioning real names even though one may post under a handle - she is pretty gutless in not using her real name in return. If it is a she?

Dozy
10-08-2006, 02:08 PM
As early as my second post somebody shouted, "Can anybody tell me who Dozy is?" to which Bill replied, "Yes, but I won't!" I'm happy either way. If there's anybody out there who hasn't worked it out by now they only need to PM me and I'll tell them.

On the other hand pseudonyms can be
fun: by nominating a handle you're saying something about yourself -- creating a cyber-personality.
mysterious: who is 442? would you take away the speculation?
confidence builders: Boris made a good point there
equalisers: once again Boris makes the point. even so, if a person can't get taken seriously under their own name I doubt if their anonymous posts will do much to help.

My objection comes in when the nom-de-plume becomes a nom-de-guerre. That's when anonymity might be questioned. It's pretty cowardly to sit and snipe without declaring yourself. Among Flame Warriors the sniper's name is Stealth: http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/stealth.htm

arosar
10-08-2006, 02:19 PM
There are some sharpshooters like Clog who persist with mentioning real names even though one may post under a handle - she is pretty gutless in not using her real name in return. If it is a she?

clog is an Israeli lover, but I wonder if he is also a chess lover?

AR

clog
11-08-2006, 04:36 PM
While some of us are posting under our real names, some of the posters are hard to identify. I think it is best if it is compulsory for all the posters to have their real names availalbe to others.

This measure will:
a) make it easier for us to understand who is who
b) make all of the posters more responsible

What do you think?:hmm:
Perhaps it is a fair call. I know most of the chessplayers, and while I usually speak my mind up on the issue of Israel I am much more reserved in person on the topic, because most of chessplayers judge Israel I found and it actually did cost me friendships in past. I found it easier on the BB not to hold back anything. I feel that antisemitism is on the rise and even genuine people get brainwashed into it.
I don't participitate under the handle in any other discussions and don't pretend to be anybody. I only argued the point and did not make any personal comments.
True others on both sides post under their real names realising that people might feel differently about them which is being open about who you are. It is nearly impossible to get someone to change their mind but easy to loose friends.
All I have achieved in real life is people becoming hostile or cold at best while satisfaction from getting it off your chest does not last.

You already can see the result of some of the discussions - posters calling each other mental and the hostilities will carry into real life.
So point taken perhaps it is not fair that some are spared from it and some take the full heat of it.
I did not like the idea creating a handle so Mike is right maybe.

clog
11-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Knowing how you feel about women i guess it's a deadly insult.
You have intoduced yourself when explaining your handle, I did not hire a private invistigator to work out who you are.

Basil
11-08-2006, 10:53 PM
All I have achieved in real life is people becoming hostile or cold at best while satisfaction from getting it off your chest does not last.

Clog, I have found that IRL it is possible to retain many friends while disagreeing ideologically with them. Surely it takes more than one issue to bust up a friendship. If both parties agree to differ [like I do with that utter moron Boris!!!:):):)], who'se to say he can't be best man at my wedding!?I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

In fact, come to think of it, one of the first PMs I ever received on here was from a person who completely and utterly and violently! disagreed with my political positions, but we get on fine and their PM was great - very friendly and welcoming.

Perhaps you could take more risks - and if you have a falling out with someone over your beliefs - then perhaps you didn't need them as a friend anyway.

Good luck.

antichrist
12-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Knowing how you feel about women i guess it's a deadly insult.
You have intoduced yourself when explaining your handle, I did not hire a private invistigator to work out who you are.

Real women don't intimidate men to become submissive and slaves