PDA

View Full Version : Is it a requirement?

JGB
12-03-2004, 08:04 PM
I am a Club chess player here in Germany and am an Aussie citizen who will be returning home late this year after a few years away. I have no Australian Rating although I have a German DWZ.

Am I required to state a rating when I play in my first Tourney in Australia or can I just play and see where my Ratng goes over time? or can that adversely affect other players ratings?

:hmm:

Thanks.

Kevin Bonham
12-03-2004, 08:34 PM
I am a Club chess player here in Germany and am an Aussie citizen who will be returning home late this year after a few years away. I have no Australian Rating although I have a German DWZ.

Am I required to state a rating when I play in my first Tourney in Australia or can I just play and see where my Ratng goes over time? or can that adversely affect other players ratings?

Bill will know but I don't think we currently import any kind of rating other than FIDE rating. I'm sure tournament organisers would appreciate knowing your German rating for seeding purposes only, I don't think it should have any impact on an ACF rating though.

Anyone know anything about the parity between DWZ and FIDE/ACF? We had a player in the Tas Champs with a DWZ of 1740 and he performed about consistent with that on the whole, perhaps a little bit stronger.

JGB
12-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Anyone know anything about the parity between DWZ and FIDE/ACF? We had a player in the Tas Champs with a DWZ of 1740 and he performed about consistent with that on the whole, perhaps a little bit stronger.

I can only say than on average someone with a DWZ of 1800 is normally a 1900 - 2000 ELO rated player. This 100-200 point disparity is about normal for players with a DWZ bewteen 1600 and 2100.

Bill Gletsos
12-03-2004, 10:08 PM
I will generally start a player off with whatever rating information I can garner. If it isnt FIDE I try and convert it to a FIDE equivalent first.

Oepty
13-03-2004, 01:58 PM
I believe Stefanie Schulte had a German rating in the low 1800's when she came to Australia, a FIDE rating of 2135 and gained a Australian rating of 2044, now 2114 with the 70 point increase. A German exchange student at Adelaide University has a FIDE rating of 2025 and German rating of 1998. He hasn't play any ACF games yet.
Scott