PDA

View Full Version : Memiors of a Mediocre Chess Player

EGOR
01-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi,
My aim with this thread is to post some of my classic chess failures that I feel something can be learnt from. If the aim of pointing out what I did wrong, what i should have done right and what I hope to learn from it. Hopefully I'll also get some feed back on what others think of my thinking (about the game).
However, the first game I am post is a draw I had in the last game of the Sydney Grade matches, mainly to see if other think it is a drawn position.
Event: Edited game
Site: RICKS
Date: 2006.07.31
Round: -
White: -
Black: -
Result: *

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 d6 3. e3 Bg4 4. Nbd2 a6 5. b3 g6 6. Bb2 Bg7 7. Be2 O-O 8.
O-O Nc6 9. c3 Re8 10. e4 e5 11. d5 Ne7 12. Rc1 Bh6 13. h3 Bd7 14. Bd3 Nh5
15. Re1 Nf4 16. Bf1 Kh8 17. Rc2 Rg8 18. Kh2 g5 19. g3 Nxh3 20. Bxh3 g4 21.
Bg2 gxf3 22. Nxf3 f5 23. Bh3 f4 24. Bxd7 Qxd7 25. Rg1 Qg4 26. Bc1 Qh5+ 27.
Kg2 Raf8 28. Rh1 Qf7 29. Rh3 Rg7 30. Nh4 Qf6
I've put the whole game up because I'm happy for comments on other parts of the game. I believe that my key mistake was 12. Rc1, which let black play Bh6 effectively. Better, I think would have been 12.h3.
Anyway, black offered the draw, have just barely made the time control, and feeling that he was still to short on time. I took the draw because it pretty much guaranteed the u1400 title for my team. In our analysis after the game neither of us could find a clear win and decided it was a draw. However, I kind of think the position is to dynamic to be sure it's a draw, so that's why I am asking what people think.

Kevin Bonham
01-08-2006, 02:09 PM
In my view Black is slightly better in the final position just on account of the open lines towards White's king. Furthermore it is a position in which White could make a mistake easily. However Black seems to have missed the strongest chances already. In particular 26...Qh5+? is a pointless-looking move that removes the queen from an attack on white's g-pawn and drives the white king where it wants to go. 26...Raf8 instead is very strong indeed, probably winning.

As a matter of personal taste I really dislike playing with fixed Q5/K4 pawn centres like White had in that game (though I did so twice in the Possum games with Axiom.) It is just so hard to restrain against an opposing P-KB4 pawn break as happened in this game and then the opponent gets play all over the place - Black really did have a good attack going for a while. I would have played 12.Ne1 so that I also have activity on the kingside when the inevitable ...f5 break comes. Also if there is an exchange of light square bishops then black's dark square bishop is not very good so white should be better. Again, this is a personal taste thing, I'm not saying it's definitely the best plan - but it is notable how white later slips into a bit of trouble without a single obvious error.

Any time you play h3 to kick an opposing bishop the move must be considered quite carefully. It is a natural impulse to drive opposing bishops away but are they doing harm where they are standing? It often creates a long-term weakness that can be exploited in the other side's attack.

Congrats on the title and with a result for the team on the line I wouldn't have thought too long about accepting that draw. :)

EGOR
01-08-2006, 02:29 PM
In particular 26...Qh5+? is a pointless-looking move that removes the queen from an attack on white's g-pawn and drives the white king where it wants to go. 26...Raf8 instead is very strong indeed, probably winning.
When black played Qh5+ hewas in real bad time trouble, and I was rather please with it as white.

I would have played 12.Ne1 so that I also have activity on the kingside when the inevitable ...f5 break comes.
A good point, I kind of thought 12. h3 was better because it became necessary on move 13, but 12.Ne1 is clearly better

Kevin Bonham
01-08-2006, 02:42 PM
What was the time control?

EGOR
01-08-2006, 02:51 PM
What was the time control?
30 moves in 75min, then 30min to finish.

Aaron Guthrie
01-08-2006, 06:33 PM
How can Black improve the position of his peices in the final position? A very tough question to answer, however White clearly can improve the position of his peices. Since Black has no mate, he will go crazy trying to find a way to improve his position, or play a mate that isnt there, White will counter attack and win. White is better in the final position.

EGOR
02-08-2006, 08:56 AM
How can Black improve the position of his peices in the final position? A very tough question to answer, however White clearly can improve the position of his peices. Since Black has no mate, he will go crazy trying to find a way to improve his position, or play a mate that isnt there, White will counter attack and win. White is better in the final position.
An interesting view, we came to a similar conclusion in out after game analysis, we got to a point where black had to keep checking white's king or be in big trouble from a counter attack. We ran out of time before we could work out if black had perpectual check or if there was other possible lines for black to follow.

EGOR
29-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Hi all,
finaly getting back to this little thread I started long ago, hopefully I'l be more regular in future.
this is a game I played last night at the St. George v Norths Big Board match. It was actually against another St. George player. There were far more St. G than Norths players so the left overs got paired up. I've put in some notes on my thoughts during the game. Anyone, please feel free to comment, give advice, ridicule and generally feed back on any part of the game or my notes.

Event: Big Board
Site: EGOR
Date: 2006.11.28
Round: 1
White: 1524
Black: 1242
Result: 1/2 - 1/2

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Be2 Nf6 4. d3 e6 5. O-O Be7 6. Nc3 O-O 7. d4 cxd4 8.
Nxd4 Nc6 {This is the first move, of mine that I thought was bad. I made it thinking, "Nxc6 is ok because Bxc6 gives me a nice pawn front. After I moved I saw Bb6 and decided that it would be bad for me, now I'm not sure. Anyway, white played the move I wan't him to make.} I9. Nxc6 bxc6 10. f4 Bb7 11. b3 Qb6+ 12. Kh1 Rad8 {I was happy about this sequence of moves, I felt that I was fully developed with all my pieces in good places, but that white was not.}13. Bd3 d5 14. e5
Ne4 15. Qe1 Bb4 {I was even happier now, I was starting to believe that I might win a peice. I could not see a good now for white that would releave the pressure on the knight.}16. Bxe4 {This move caught me by surprise, it's mostly annoying when an opponents move catches you by surprise. I say mostly because I was surprised by a move that gave me mate in one earlier this year, that was not very annoying, for me anyway. My first impulse was to play BxN because QxB lead to de and a piece for me. However, Bxh7+ followed by Qh4 looked really shacky. I started to work out if I could survive the possible mate threats, but them thought, "to much trouble", and took the bishop} dxe4 17. Bb2 e3 18. a3 e2 19. Rf3 Bxc3 20. Bxc3
Ba6 21. Bb4 c5 22. Bd2 Rd5 {I count this move as my first real blunder (could be wrong) as it let white play c4 and force me to move the Rook again. Trying to double the rooks on the d file was a good idea, I think, but Rd5 needed to be to Rd7. C3 would then have been met by Rfd8 with threats on the Bishop on d2} 23. c4 Rd7 24. Qxe2 Bb7 25. Rd3 Rxd3 26. Qxd3
Rd8 27. Qe3 Qc6 {These moves were made very quickly, but white stopped to think a bit after Qc6. I first looked at what I would do if white defended g2 with the Queen and decided that I would swap everything off with a Rook and pawn end game with me having the better Rook. I started to look at what I would do if white defended with the Rook when my opponents hand started hovering over his Queen. I found myself thinking about nothing else other than, "Did he just touch his Queen?". He did as he moved it.} 28. Qe2 Qxg2+ 29. Qxg2 Bxg2+ 30. Kxg2 Rxd2+ 31. Kg1 g6 32.
b4 cxb4 33. axb4 Rd4 34. Rc1 Rxf4 35. c5 Rxb4 36. Kf2 {Up to this point I believe that white had misplayed pretty badly, now it was my turn.} Rb8 37. Ke3 Kg7 {My King now starts to wonder off in a made hope to circle around and capture the pawn on d5.} 38.
c6 Kh6 39. c7 Rc8 40. Kd4 Kg5 41. Rc6 a5 {I suddenly realised that i was in trouble and pushed my a pawn in the hope it would cause a distraction.} 42. Kc5 a4 43. Kd6 a3 44. Ra6 Kf5
45. Rxa3 Rxc7 {At this point I decide my only hope is to sack my Rook and hope I can do something with my extra pawns. the most amazing part is that it worked} 46. Kxc7 Kxe5 47. Kd7 f5 48. Re3+ Kf6 49. Rxe6+ Kg5 50. Re1
f4 51. Rf1 Kf5 52. Kd6 Ke4 53. Ke6 f3 54. Kf6 Ke3 55. Kg5 {I realy beleive that white played this previouse sequince badly, he should not have ever let me get a pawn to his sixth rank. I now realized that white had decided to sack his Rook when I Queened my pawn, believing that he could take my two remaining pawns without loosing his last pawn. He was wrong.}Ke2 56. Ra1 f2
57. h4 f1=Q 58. Rxf1 Kxf1 {I offered a draw here, white refused.} 59. Kh6 Kg2 {White suddenly realised that it is a draw.}
1/2 - 1/2
I hope people enjoy the game, and my notes.

Kevin Bonham
29-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks. I enjoyed analysing that game.

3.Be2. Weird.

Nothing wrong with 6...Nc6. Looks good to me actually because after he takes you are guaranteed a strong center.

My first impulse was to play BxN because QxB lead to de and a piece for me. However, Bxh7+ followed by Qh4 looked really shacky. I started to work out if I could survive the possible mate threats, but them thought, "to much trouble", and took the bishop

You reasoned correctly here as even if Bxh7+ does not lead to mate it still wins white a pawn.

White should have played a3 on move 17 forcing you to take on c3 right away and then he could exploit your bad pawn structure. Your play with ...e3 etc from moves 17 to 21 appears to be really good. Yes on move 22. ...Rd5 was a big error and you should have played ...Rd7 with advantage.

Yes White should have played 28.Rg1.

The rook ending is tricky. Your first error was 32...cxb4 instead of 32...Rc2 winning a pawn. However after White's c5? (b5 is correct there) you were winning again, but your Kg7-h6-g5 plan is risky. In rook endings it is often the big pawn that matters; better to take your king over via f8 towards white's c-pawn and stop it. Even on move 41 you are still winning if ...Kf5 as then if he tries that Kc5-d6 nonsense you take on e5 and his king can't go to d6. :D

White should have won the ending with the rook for the pawns easily but you put up the right sort of fight and got an instructive Swindle when white played 55.Kg5?? which gives you a draw.

55.Kg7! would have won but I can see why he rejected it. He was probably thinking 55...h5 and then your king might cover his h-pawn after he takes your f-pawn. But he forgot something: he can gain time with his rook. Thus 55.Kg7 h5 56.Kxg6 Ke2 57.Rb1! (57.Rxe3?? only draws) h4 58.Kg5 h3 59.Kg4 f2 60.Kxh3 and white sacs rook for pawn (or whatever it promotes to) on f2 or f1, then plays Kg4, and the pawn moving two squares on its first move(!) puts it outside the black king's square.

Nice save - more care with basic rook ending concepts needed.

EGOR
01-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi Kevin,
thankyou for your thoughtfully and very helpful reply.

3.Be2. Weird.
Yes!

White should have played a3 on move 17 forcing you to take on c3 right away and then he could exploit your bad pawn structure.
I don't remember concidering a3 while I was play. I don't think it would have bothered me a lot, I kind of saw the pawn on e4 as lost anyway.

The rook ending is tricky. Your first error was 32...cxb4 instead of 32...Rc2 winning a pawn. However after White's c5? (b5 is correct there) you were winning again, but your Kg7-h6-g5 plan is risky. In rook endings it is often the big pawn that matters; better to take your king over via f8 towards white's c-pawn and stop it. Even on move 41 you are still winning if ...Kf5 as then if he tries that Kc5-d6 nonsense you take on e5 and his king can't go to d6. :D
I wish I'd seen either the Rc2 or Kf5 moves in the game, either could have very well given me the game. I'd accually rejected 41..Kf5 because I thought that I would have to go around the e5 pawn, going through it didn't cross my mind.

White should have won the ending with the rook for the pawns easily but you put up the right sort of fight and got an instructive Swindle when white played 55.Kg5?? which gives you a draw.

55.Kg7! would have won but I can see why he rejected it. He was probably thinking 55...h5 and then your king might cover his h-pawn after he takes your f-pawn. But he forgot something: he can gain time with his rook. Thus 55.Kg7 h5 56.Kxg6 Ke2 57.Rb1! (57.Rxe3?? only draws) h4 58.Kg5 h3 59.Kg4 f2 60.Kxh3 and white sacs rook for pawn (or whatever it promotes to) on f2 or f1, then plays Kg4, and the pawn moving two squares on its first move(!) puts it outside the black king's square.

Nice save - more care with basic rook ending concepts needed.
I thought it should be a win for white.
The thing about this game for me is that I think I played the better game for most of it. (against a player 300 rating points higher) It's those few important moves that I miss that make the difference.:doh:

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2006, 08:08 PM
The thing about this game for me is that I think I played the better game for most of it. (against a player 300 rating points higher) It's those few important moves that I miss that make the difference.:doh:

I would say that you played quite above your rating in that game. It is not obvious playing through it that one player outrates the other.

EGOR
05-12-2006, 02:46 PM
I would say that you played quite above your rating in that game. It is not obvious playing through it that one player outrates the other.
Thank you.