PDA

View Full Version : Icc

Alan Shore
11-03-2004, 11:23 PM
To put it plainly, ICC is a downright shocker. The admins of this site have no respect for their users and anyone who questions the absolute authority of their Gestapo regime gets shoved under the rug. This is primarily not a personal incidence but something I've observed over time and watching friends of mine getting absolutely disgusting treatment i.e. forfeited from tournaments, unfairly accused of cheating, sworn at (by admins!) and banned.

If any of you have any stories where ICC has treated you unfairly, or you know of any such instances, I'd love to hear about them - I'm tempted to do a doco along the lines of Michael Moore's 'Bowling for Columbine'. I've already got quite a bit of material at my disposal..

If you want to play chess on the net, I strongly recommend FICS - www.freechess.org , it's free, they have admins who treat you with respect, have a very nice interface (Thief 1.1) and plenty of users who log on (always many hundreds). And it's the premiere site for bughouse :)

arosar
12-03-2004, 05:37 PM
where/how do I get a handle?

AR

Rincewind
12-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Not too much experience with ICC. I've logged on a few times as guest to follow some chess.fm broadcasts but never played there.

FICS is friendly and never been a hassle playing there. I've even got into some interesting chats with other kabitzers at 1am in the morning. I looked at joining ICC but it seemed like a waste of money for me. Sure there are less GM's playing on FICS but why should that bother me?

Alan Shore
13-03-2004, 06:03 PM
arosar, go to the site I provided, click 'register' on the left and follow the prompts.

You can find links to a number of interfaces on the freechess.org site, to go directly to download Thief you can go to http://www.thief-interface.com/

arosar
14-03-2004, 05:05 PM
It's garbage mate. I tried to rego but I only get a blank rego page.

AR

Alan Shore
14-03-2004, 06:27 PM
:doh: Crazy.. works fine for me..

Garvinator
14-03-2004, 06:31 PM
It's garbage mate. I tried to rego but I only get a blank rego page.

AR
i get the same response, no rego page :doh:

Rincewind
14-03-2004, 09:52 PM
i get the same response, no rego page :doh:

Probably a browser incompatibility. Works fine under IE6. What are you guys with problems using?

Garvinator
14-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Probably a browser incompatibility. Works fine under IE6. What are you guys with problems using?
i have ie6 too

skip to my lou
14-03-2004, 10:01 PM
Try adding the trailing slash http://www.chessclub.com/register/

Rincewind
14-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Maybe it is a settings thing. Try setting your security level down to minimum momentarily and see if that helps.

skip to my lou
14-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Also try this: http://www.chesschat.org/icc.php

Garvinator
14-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Also try this: http://www.chesschat.org/icc.php
i dont want icc, i want to register my name for freechess :eek:

skip to my lou
14-03-2004, 10:15 PM
dunno what I was thinking...

http://www.chesschat.org/fics.php

Garvinator
14-03-2004, 10:31 PM
dunno what I was thinking...

http://www.chesschat.org/fics.php
i completed my information for fics and then clicked on send information and the page then timed out :eek: that was the same problem as when i clicked on registration to start with

Rincewind
14-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Mmmm, wild stab in the dark but what do you have in Internet Options->Programs under Email? Is it your normal mail client?

Garvinator
14-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Mmmm, wild stab in the dark but what do you have in Internet Options->Programs under Email? Is it your normal mail client?
i have now managed to get through to the activation page after registering my account successfully. i use hotmail normally but fics dont accept hotmail, so i had to use my second account. now the activation page is not loading :wall:

skip to my lou
14-03-2004, 10:47 PM
I'll activate it for you, pm the link..

Garvinator
14-03-2004, 10:55 PM
I'll activate it for you, pm the link..
i have sent pm to you

skip to my lou
14-03-2004, 10:56 PM
activated.

Garvinator
14-03-2004, 11:04 PM
activated.
thank you Jeo, i can play now :owned:

arosar
15-03-2004, 02:16 PM
So is Thief the best GUI then? is there one that looks like CB and ICC's?

AR

Garvinator
15-03-2004, 07:10 PM
So is Thief the best GUI then? is there one that looks like CB and ICC's?

AR
i have managed to play a rated game on freechess now using theif ;) and arosar, i can say that freechess using thief looks way to similar to icc in appearance :hmm:

Kerry Stead
15-03-2004, 08:44 PM
i have managed to play a rated game on freechess now using theif ;) and arosar, i can say that freechess using thief looks way to similar to icc in appearance :hmm:

I use Thief for ICC, so I imagine that your FICS experience would look very similar to me ICC one

Garvinator
15-03-2004, 08:45 PM
I use Thief for ICC, so I imagine that your FICS experience would look very similar to me ICC one
oh ok, i used blitzin 2 for icc when i was there

arosar
19-03-2004, 07:27 PM
The link to 'Download' in freechess leads me to a survey form - no download link.

AR

arosar
19-03-2004, 07:48 PM
I'm in...it's SUCKS!! not so many people and the helpers aren't particularly helpful! No one of the helpers or admins knows how to interact with Thief. How do I log in using thief?

AR

Alan Shore
20-03-2004, 06:36 PM
I don't understand arosar.. are you asking how to log in? open thief, go new connection, enter your name and password and go for it.. simple stuff. Once you get the hang of it, thief should be a great interface. I find it strange no helper was answering your questions though, usually people will try to help you if you have a problem.

And I hardly think you can say it sucks if you can't even get in. I have no idea why the reg page wasn't loading for you either, it was fine for me.. do you have the latest version of Internet Explorer?

Best wishes everyone who does register on FICS. Here's some amusement - a couple of things an ICC admin was saying to me:

LateKnight(*) tells you: leave me alone now. WE REFUSE TO SHARE DETAILS

LateKnight(*) tells you: bullshit

LateKnight(*) tells you: I OWN ICC
LateKnight(*) tells you: ding a ling
LateKnight(*) tells you: I own this club

LateKnight(*) tells you: There is no freedom of speech here

(I also have a whole log of another admin making the most ridiculous assertions.. the admins there truly are intoxicated with power).

My handle on FICS is DrLasker if anyone wants to talk to me there.

Rincewind
20-03-2004, 08:36 PM
My handle on FICS is DrLasker if anyone wants to talk to me there.

I'll add you to my buddy list. I tried out Thief. Nice interface, might take a bit of getting used to though. I'm a WinBoard man myself. ;)

My handle is rockwimp.

jase
21-03-2004, 12:44 PM
To put it plainly, ICC is a downright shocker ...
This is primarily not a personal incidence but something I've observed over time and watching friends of mine getting absolutely disgusting treatment i.e. forfeited from tournaments, unfairly accused of cheating, sworn at (by admins!) and banned.

I prefer ICC but for a free chess server FICS is very good. My experiences on ICC over the last 3 or 4 years have been terrific - I play a few games most nights, and am now a tournament manager there.

The software used to weed out people using their chess engines is pretty thorough, and I believe quite similar to what chessbase uses [another excellent server]. Since you're reporting 2nd hand, it's possible that an accusation of cheating was not "unfair".

As a tournament manager I am always logged into the manager's channel; the managers are a great bunch of players who volunteer their time to run tournaments. Players are always being forfeited from tournaments for very valid reasons [eg excessively high lag, not accepting for a match, bagging games to get into restricted ratings tournaments]

I have had many dealings with the Admins and can't recall any being rude or swearing at me. ICC is far from perfect, and it isn't cheap [$49US annually], but I like playing there and have made some good friends online.

frogmogdog
21-03-2004, 01:56 PM
i'm too tight to pay for icc and anyway i'm more ideologically aligned with the volunteer non-profit fics.

i've always just got by with fic's default clunky javaboard thing but this thread prompted me to download an interface. i tried iNemesis but haven't worked out how to drop pieces, and having to click twice to make a move is painful. might try downloading thief tonight.

i think fics is good -- often not many people but there's always nobbled computers available to play. i often read that the fics admins are friendly and helpful but i've never tried to talk to one.

talking about "unfair" accusations of cheating, i think it was at icc that a certain fast improving aussie junior was accused of cheating. this was when he beat a master while only rated 1200 but the amusing thing was that he was pulling the same stunt over the board around the same time.

my handle at fics is mrdeadserious (because i'm not) - though unless i get an interface working don't expect me to chat, i probably wouldn't notice if someone said hi to me.

Alan Shore
21-03-2004, 02:17 PM
The software used to weed out people using their chess engines is pretty thorough, and I believe quite similar to what chessbase uses [another excellent server]. Since you're reporting 2nd hand, it's possible that an accusation of cheating was not "unfair".

I can assure you it was unfair - this was an australian player rated about 2200, who was forfeited after beating an IM and a GM. If you had of looked at the games, there was absolutely no way a computer was playing those moves - the IM dropped a Queen, and the GM simply played quite poorly, while my friend capitalised.

There were other instances of very strong players being forfeited for very dubious reasons (including GM's!). That software must be completely unreliable, or some admins hvae it in for people from particular countries... as a pattern suggests.

And if you dare (!) appeal against their unfair decisions the admins go ballistic. Or they give you wishy-washy reasons why - what utter crap. And if you even thought about telling other users about these gestapo tactics, you're banned straight away milladdo. Which is why not many hear about these things.

arosar
21-03-2004, 05:07 PM
I tried thief. Finally got in. It doesn't seem to have a seek window. Some1 recommend to me an interface that is equal to or better than blitzin.

Also, my general observation so far is that FICS is inferior to ICC in all aspects of online chess. The community is too small; none or too few titled players; don't appear to have any coverage of tourns events. But I recommend it to people who only want to play chess for free - certainly a huge leap from Y!, say.

AR

Rincewind
21-03-2004, 05:21 PM
I tried thief. Finally got in. It doesn't seem to have a seek window. Some1 recommend to me an interface that is equal to or better than blitzin.

Yes, I saw that and when I said I've been trying out Thief, I was wrong. I'v been using iNemesis. Looks good. You can get it from www.ideabuilders.com

Also, my general observation so far is that FICS is inferior to ICC in all aspects of online chess. The community is too small; none or too few titled players; don't appear to have any coverage of tourns events. But I recommend it to people who only want to play chess for free - certainly a huge leap from Y!, say.

Usually over 200 people logged onto FICS. The titled players advertise on ICC because if they do, they get membership reduced or for free. There being no such incentive on FICS as it is free for all. A truely egalitarian modeel.

Anyway, why should you care how many player 700+ stonger than you frequent the server. You wantto maximise you play against players only a little stonger than you. Probably 1 class interval, not 3!

They do have coverage of tourny's but it is much more volunteer and less organised. Still I like kibitzing with the gang no FICS. If you want to watch on, you can simply log on to ICC with a guest account. However, no kibitzing.

I looked seriously at ICC but couldn't justify it for me. I find FICS more than adequate.

eclectic
21-03-2004, 06:01 PM
i preferred cclient 2.0 at fics ... i think inemesis soups it (cclient 2.0) up far too much

not that i play there anymore ... got sick of my handle and got sick of the double standard about those who could do a handle change and those who couldn't

i reckon i'd need a new computer, a new email address and a new name before i'd bother to go on again

they should have a 7 day handle trial :)

at least with icc you can let the handle lapse if not happy or get an admin to scrub it

one thing about icc though ...

they say they answer suggestions within 1 day ...

... [still waiting]

weadley
19-05-2004, 01:07 AM
ICC is and excellent pay to play chess server!

I like having a library of up to 100 games. Lots of players there are willing to coach you just for the enjoyment of helping another player grow.
Several players have great libraries of exercises for beginners. zmaster is a good coach who lives in my town. Check out his library and it will give you a hint of how helpfull some of the players there are.:clap: Every hour on the hour mr spock gives great simul lectures. You can also play great training bot scenerios.

But if your too good to learn any more dont bother with it.