PDA

View Full Version : Looking To Analyse? OK Then........

compchess
25-07-2006, 10:20 AM
We've been watching, hope you don't mind.

Arena

Yes folks, that's the first thing you need......

http://www.playwitharena.com/

If you have something that costs money beginning with "C", it'll do as well but remember...if you want to know the weather you only have to stick your head out of the window....;)

Engines

Something to analyse with is always a good idea as well.....

How much free opinion is there? Plenty is the answer.......all of varied strength and styles......

http://www.exactachess.com/modules.php?name=Engine_Links

speaking of which.......

Strength

......is not everything......

But here's a good guide anyway.......

CCRL (http://www.exactachess.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&topic_view=threads&p=618&t=283)

....still the little critters are not as good without a book......

Opening Book

....yes it's true.....humans do still have a place in computer chess.....however it is somewhat static thoughts that are the most potent these days.....

Gladiator Book (http://www.exactachess.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=29)

How much is this little extravaganza going to cost you I hear you say......?

Nothing.

It's all free.

Download some fun, be good to yourself.....

From all of us here at Arena to all of you here. Free......

:D

Chris

qpawn
25-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Is there a way to get arena to use English?

English seems verboten at the moment.

compchess
25-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Is there a way to get arena to use English?

English seems verboten at the moment.

You will be needing to go to the Optionen menu and in there choose the Sprache wahlen item.

As if by computer chess magic, you will see a choice.

You may select English of a UK kind as your preference and your verboten shall become a forbidden thing.

:cool:

Chris

qpawn
25-07-2006, 11:04 AM
OK I will try that and see how it goes!

By the way verboten is the only German word I know. I learnt it when walking past a German studies department at a university. There was a sign saying that English was "verboten" so students should speak only in German :)

p.s German and French are taught at my local high school . But I learnt Chinese. . :)

qpawn
25-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Now, let's get into some serious deep position analysis!

I have at my disposal two tools for analysis: the commercial program Fritz 8 [ German engine again! :lol: ] which has deep position analysis, and your program Arena .

I have a lot of tricky positions which I want to look into. Indeed, I will put some of these positions in this thread or on another thread. Let's all use our deep position analysis tools/engines and compare outcomes!

I have an open mind in all this; your Arena engine might do better than Fritz.

I am new to all this deep analysing. Yesterday I used Fritz 8 to deep analyse a position and it crunched away for 6 hours but it was worth it when the thorough results came out. It also made me feel good because it was a 15 mins each game thatw ent for 64 moves, so on average I had about 15 seconds per move! My 15 seconds produced a good move when the Fritz engine spent hours verrifying it! Isn't the human mind better than any engine? :owned:

compchess
25-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Now, let's get into some serious deep position analysis!

I have at my disposal two tools for analysis: the commercial program Fritz 8 [ German engine again! :lol: ] which has deep position analysis, and your program Arena .

I have a lot of tricky positions which I want to look into. Indeed, I will put some of these positions in this thread or on another thread. Let's all use our deep position analysis tools/engines and compare outcomes!

I have an open mind in all this; your Arena engine might do better than Fritz.

I am new to all this deep analysing. Yesterday I used Fritz 8 to deep analyse a position and it crunched away for 6 hours but it was worth it when the thorough results came out. It also made me feel good because it was a 15 mins each game thatw ent for 64 moves, so on average I had about 15 seconds per move! My 15 seconds produced a good move when the Fritz engine spent hours verrifying it! Isn't the human mind better than any engine? :owned:

Nope. Humans just have the advantage of begin able to visualise patterns.

Also Fritz may not be the best example of an engine to analyse with as it has some glaring blind spots.

For example......

Fritz 7 (Mate in 2)

K1k5/8/4P2R/8/8/2p4B/5q2/3R2b1 w - - 0 1

But for who is the question when analysing with Fritz 7? Watch with certain joy as Fritz 7 thinks only of a new Queen.

Bad idea.....easily understandable for a human however.

:eek:

Chris

qpawn
25-07-2006, 12:00 PM
At least humans learn from their mistakes! Though there are claims that progress is being made to get computers to emulate this .

I agree that Fritz has certain blind spots. The horizon effect is always nearby :)

So what I will do is to start a new thread with some positions in it. Anyone who wants to analyse the positions should put their deep analysis results in some systematic matter.

Desmond
25-07-2006, 06:36 PM
K1k5/8/4P2R/8/8/2p4B/5q2/3R2b1 w - - 0 1
nice mate