PDA

View Full Version : Czech open 2006

D Dragicevic
23-07-2006, 02:02 AM
At the moment there is a tournament in Czech republic in the city of Pardubice.. Last year when I was in Europe, I was planning to play this tournament, but didn't end up going for whatever reason I had... It is a big tournament, with A and B division... A division has 406 players, and I can't be bothered counting how many GM's there are, while B division has another lazy 391 players with couple of IM's at the top...

Anyway, I noticed that Brett Tindall is playing in the tournament, A division...
He is seeded 273 (that's just amazing)... In the first round, Brett was on board 71 loosing to an IM from Russia. In round 2, Brett plays on board 187 against another Russian rated 2114.

The website for this tournament is http://www.czechopen.net so get in there and find your way around...

Finally, I wish Brett all the best....

MichaelBaron
23-07-2006, 04:59 AM
Good luck to Brett!

Against Russians, he will need a lot of luck ;)

D Dragicevic
23-07-2006, 09:59 PM
well, looks like you were right as he drew his second game against lower rated Russian opponent.

In round 3 Brett plays against second last seed German player.. This game is really important for Brett(I guess they all are)... a win here and he will probably play someone really good while any other result and he will play someone lower rated again...

at the A division tournament there are 84 Russians playing.. There are 85 Czechs playing...

Desmond
24-07-2006, 09:42 AM
They had a bughouse tournament too - nice :)

MichaelBaron
26-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Congratulations to Brett on scoring his first win:clap:

D Dragicevic
27-07-2006, 12:12 AM
it is also worth noting that in round 4 brett drew against an IM... that seemed to kickstart his tournament as he won in round 5 against a lower rated opponent... in round 6, brett is playing an IM...

brett
27-07-2006, 04:56 AM
Just an update on the tournament...

Very big tournament over 1800 people taking part in all the events.
We are a little cramped in the playing arena and the heat get unbearable at times.

Playing ok at the moment took a few rounds to get warmed up

1 71 IM KLIMOV SERGEY 2481 RUS b 0
2 387 MUKHLISOV VLADISLAV 2114 RUS w
3 405 FINK LEANDER 1997 GER 2 b
4 138 IM PRYYOMOV SERGIY 2401 b UKR
5 381 KUCHYNKA LUKAS 2134 CZE 1.5 w 1
6 162 IM JIRKA JIRI 2372 CZE 2.5 w 1

Total 3.5 out of 6

IT was good to win today because I will probably get IM or Gm in the next two rounds.

Would be nice to score at least 4.5 in this event. Its a very strong field

Brett

MichaelBaron
27-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Just an update on the tournament...

Very big tournament over 1800 people taking part in all the events.
We are a little cramped in the playing arena and the heat get unbearable at times.

Playing ok at the moment took a few rounds to get warmed up

1 71 IM KLIMOV SERGEY 2481 RUS b 0
2 387 MUKHLISOV VLADISLAV 2114 RUS w
3 405 FINK LEANDER 1997 GER 2 b
4 138 IM PRYYOMOV SERGIY 2401 b UKR
5 381 KUCHYNKA LUKAS 2134 CZE 1.5 w 1
6 162 IM JIRKA JIRI 2372 CZE 2.5 w 1

Total 3.5 out of 6

IT was good to win today because I will probably get IM or Gm in the next two rounds.

Would be nice to score at least 4.5 in this event. Its a very strong field

Brett

Well done, Brett
Keep it up!:clap:

Jesse Jager
27-07-2006, 04:47 PM
who is leading the tournement?

Garvinator
27-07-2006, 04:52 PM
who is leading the tournement?
http://schach.wienerzeitung.at/tnr3954.aspx?tnr=3954&art=2&rd=7&lan=1&flag=30

D Dragicevic
27-07-2006, 09:18 PM
thx for the update, brett..

in round 7, brett plays against WGM from ukraine..

MichaelBaron
28-07-2006, 12:10 AM
thx for the update, brett..

in round 7, brett plays against WGM from ukraine..

And she is quite cute...so he may get distracted :lol:

Carl Gorka
28-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Unbelievable....I've just read Jessie Gilbert died at the Czech Open, fell off a balcony or something:(

I didn't know her well, but she certainly came across as fun-loving with a generally kind and decent nature. And she was young, only 19.....:(

arosar
28-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Yes, that is correct. I'm just picking it up off the newswires. Will put up links in blog shortly.

AR

Carl Gorka
28-07-2006, 10:34 AM
I've just read the Times report. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2288046,00.html

It's awful.....

Brian_Jones
28-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Unbelievable....I've just read Jessie Gilbert died at the Czech Open, fell off a balcony or something:(

I didn't know her well, but she certainly came across as fun-loving with a generally kind and decent nature. And she was young, only 19.....:(

Carl, you are probably too young to remember young Ian Wells from Morecambe. He was 14yo and represented England in the World Junior in South America many years ago. He drowned on Cocacabana Beach.:(

Jessie not a junior but a warning for kids playing chess overseas in strange environments.:(

Carl Gorka
28-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Carl, you are probably too young to remember young Ian Wells from Morecambe. He was 14yo and represented England in the World Junior in South America many years ago. He drowned on Cocacabana Beach.:(

Jessie not a junior but a warning for kids playing chess overseas in strange environments.:(

I never knew Ian Wells....the closest was playing in one of the memorial tournaments. I agree with you 100% Brian, overseas travel is not to be taken lightly.

Garvinator
28-07-2006, 12:36 PM
:( :( :( :( :(

D Dragicevic
28-07-2006, 08:29 PM
i have just read the times report and it is a very sad story... I also agree that overseas travel shouldn't be taken lightly...

Candy-Cane
28-07-2006, 11:28 PM
I met her at the World Youth in France last year I talked to her just a few times seemed like a really nice person. She was planning to come to australia for Brisbane then New Zealand for Queenstown but stuff came up. Yeah this is really terrible news, really sad :( :(

Axiom
28-07-2006, 11:41 PM
incredible!...i was just perusing pics from 2006 olympiad last night after michael baron said ushenina was cute!,and focused on jessie gilbert ,as being a vibrant charismatic type,..looking somewhat atypical of a chessplayer in a way, i remember focusing on her...and then just now , i see she died!....gave me a weird feeling.....coincidence or intuition?

MichaelBaron
29-07-2006, 12:39 AM
i have just read the times report and it is a very sad story... I also agree that overseas travel shouldn't be taken lightly...

As far as I understood the Times story, it was not the environment that contributed to her death, but a cocktail of medications:hmm:

Brian_Jones
29-07-2006, 08:46 AM
As far as I understood the Times story, it was not the environment that contributed to her death, but a cocktail of medications:hmm:

Sleepwalkers should not stay in high-rise apartments with balconies or unlocked windows?

brett
29-07-2006, 10:41 PM
1 71 IM KLIMOV SERGEY 2481 RUS 6,0 s 0
2 387 MUKHLISOV VLADISLAV 2114 RUS 3,0 w
3 405 FINK LEANDER 1997 GER 3,5 s
4 138 IM PRYYOMOV SERGIY 2401 UKR 2,0 s
5 381 KUCHYNKA LUKAS 2134 CZE 3,5 w 1
6 162 IM JIRKA JIRI 2372 CZE 4,5 w 1
7 126 WGM USHENINA ANNA 2410 UKR 4,5 s 0
8 160 IM SCHROLL GERHARD 2375 AUT 4,5 w 0
9 403 SHIFMAN MICHAEL 2029 ISR 3,5 s

Round 7 and 8 were really tough. Unfortunately lost both games... Anyway i will be going off to play in a few minutes time.

brett
29-07-2006, 10:44 PM
The windows in the hotel are very big and there is no fly screen on the windows. As the nights have been extremely hot every night most people would be sleeping with their window open.

It would be pretty easy for a sleep walker to fall out of a window.

D Dragicevic
30-07-2006, 07:43 PM
well, brett finished on 4/9 after drawing the last game... he is going to loose few rating points from this tournament...

MichaelBaron
30-07-2006, 08:22 PM
well, brett finished on 4/9 after drawing the last game... he is going to loose few rating points from this tournament...

Well he had a fun european trip. I guess its a good value for losing some rating points :)

antichrist
30-07-2006, 09:04 PM

Well it would certainly be double Czechmate for him

Carl Gorka
30-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Well it would certainly be double Czechmate for him

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt before, but it appears you really are a [snip]. If you're happy to make jokes about the deaths of people's friends, then you truly have a base nature.

antichrist
30-07-2006, 10:36 PM
I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt before, but it appears you really are a [snip]. If you're happy to make jokes about the deaths of people's friends, then you truly have a base nature.

Shows how well I read the original report, it is of a 19 year old female (maybe suicide) whereas I guessed it was about an old drunk male falling off the balcony - sorrie

Carl Gorka
30-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Shows how well I read the original report, it is of a 19 year old female (maybe suicide) whereas I guessed it was about an old drunk male falling off the balcony - sorrie

Fair play....it takes a lot to apologise......seemingly too much usually for this BB. No worries:)

D Dragicevic
31-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Well he had a fun european trip. I guess its a good value for losing some rating points :)

he could have had a fun european trip without loosing any rating points...

MichaelBaron
31-07-2006, 11:56 PM
he could have had a fun european trip without loosing any rating points...

Sigh..Domagoi...Life is not about rating points....or is it? :hmm:

D Dragicevic
01-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Sigh..Domagoi...Life is not about rating points....or is it? :hmm:

i am not saying life is about rating points... but when you travel something like 24 hours around the world and you end up playing such a strong chess tournament(one that you will probably never play again in your life), you want to do well... how you went ratingwise is one factor that will show how you played the tournament.. michael, if you wish to just throw away your rating points, i will be happy to take them :).... i guess every person will go into a chess tournament with a different attitude......

MichaelBaron
01-08-2006, 02:10 AM
i am not saying life is about rating points... but when you travel something like 24 hours around the world and you end up playing such a strong chess tournament(one that you will probably never play again in your life), you want to do well... how you went ratingwise is one factor that will show how you played the tournament.. michael, if you wish to just throw away your rating points, i will be happy to take them :).... i guess every person will go into a chess tournament with a different attitude......

No need for me to "throw" you will take my rating points away through "natural causes" soon :(. Just make the position complicated with a lot of tactics in the air..and my rating will be yours :)

ER
01-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Michael and Domagoi
You can discuss this over the board, this Saturday at the MCC Allegro! No rating points involved but lots of tactics and complications!!!
Cheers and best wishes!

ER
01-08-2006, 09:36 AM
By the way what were you two doing staying up at 2.10 am and 12.49 am respectively? LOL I hope you didn't have to wake up early this morhing!!!

MichaelBaron
01-08-2006, 12:07 PM
By the way what were you two doing staying up at 2.10 am and 12.49 am respectively? LOL I hope you didn't have to wake up early this morhing!!!

I am marking students assignments, chatting to my overseas friends and checking out the properties on sale at www.realestate.com.au website:eh:

D Dragicevic
01-08-2006, 09:41 PM

i am spending my nights preparing variations and making plans that will help me beat michael... :)

ER
01-08-2006, 10:07 PM
I am marking students assignments, chatting to my overseas friends and checking out the properties on sale at www.realestate.com.au website:eh:
While Domagoi is secretly preparing! :)

ER
01-08-2006, 10:08 PM
i am spending my nights preparing variations and making plans that will help me beat michael... :)
Seems that Michael doesn't really care!:)

MichaelBaron
02-08-2006, 12:02 AM

Well, the work you have done on the London System is quite impressive. Opps, here goes your secret - London system is what you have been working on:owned:

P.S. I am done with the marking so tonight i will play some blitz on the Internet

ER
02-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, the work you have done on the London System is quite impressive. Opps, here goes your secret - London system is what you have been working on:owned:

P.S. I am done with the marking so tonight i will play some blitz on the Internet

Will that revelation force Dom to change his mind and return to his well trusted 1 e4 2 Bc4?

ER
02-08-2006, 07:42 PM

Hey Domagoi!
Not so very recently I watched Michael Baron playing an incredible game of lighting chess as Black. Actually his opponent had 5 minutes and Michael had 3 minutes.
Michael played a defence based on a Nf6, d6, g6, Bg7, 0-0, c6 type of structure. Then at an appropriate moment, he managed to break through with ... b5! His opponent's setup got absolutely smashed up and then an incredible zungzwang position arose where all White pieces were threatened!
Finally, White's King got exposed and mated in the middle of the board. In all honesty, I have never seen something as aesthetically pleasing as well as brutally devastating, in my whole chess lifetime.
I do not want to discourage you or anything, but better prepare for something like that.
Cheers and best wishes!
PS And Michael played the final combination with seconds left on his clock!

Garrett
02-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Hey Domagoi!
Not so very recently I watched Michael Baron playing an incredible game of lighting chess as Black. Actually his opponent had 5 minutes and Michael had 3 minutes.
Michael played a defence based on a Nf6, d6, g6, Bg7, 0-0, c6 type of structure

Down on the farm we call it the Kings Indian.

ER
02-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Down on the farm we call it the Kings Indian.
A King's Indian Defence without ... e5 or ... c5? And did I say that White played 1 d4 2 c4 3 Nc3??? hmmm :hmm: :)
Cheers and good luck GeorgeL, come down to MCC on Saturday:)

Garvinator
02-08-2006, 11:51 PM
A King's Indian Defence without ... e5 or ... c5? And did I say that White played 1 d4 2 c4 3 Nc3??? hmmm :hmm: :)
Cheers and good luck GeorgeL, come down to MCC on Saturday:)
did you check out his location :eek:

D Dragicevic
03-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Will that revelation force Dom to change his mind and return to his well trusted 1 e4 2 Bc4?

i have lately been experimenting with my openings mainly playing 1.Nf3, and I think I will be experimenting with it a little bit more... as far as bishop's opening is concerned, a lot of players seemed to have worked out what to play against it and i am bit sick of that variation so i am looking for something new against 1....e5.. what that is, i guess you will just have to wait and see...

D Dragicevic
03-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Hey Domagoi!
Michael played a defence based on a Nf6, d6, g6, Bg7, 0-0, c6 type of structure. Then at an appropriate moment, he managed to break through with ... b5! His opponent's setup got absolutely smashed up and then an incredible zungzwang position arose where all White pieces were threatened!
Finally, White's King got exposed and mated in the middle of the board. In all honesty, I have never seen something as aesthetically pleasing as well as brutally devastating, in my whole chess lifetime.
I do not want to discourage you or anything, but better prepare for something like that.
Cheers and best wishes!

I can handle whatever Michael throws at me as well as his great combinations.....

MichaelBaron
03-08-2006, 01:17 AM
i have lately been experimenting with my openings mainly playing 1.Nf3, and I think I will be experimenting with it a little bit more... as far as bishop's opening is concerned, a lot of players seemed to have worked out what to play against it and i am bit sick of that variation so i am looking for something new against 1....e5.. what that is, i guess you will just have to wait and see...

Do not worry, guys..You will not have to wait long. Once, saturday allegro finishes, i will post a comprehensive report on Domagoy's new opening repertoire.:eek:

MichaelBaron
03-08-2006, 01:18 AM
I can handle whatever Michael throws at me as well as his great combinations.....

Domagoi, make sure you got enough change in your pockets:owned:

MichaelBaron
03-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Hey Domagoi!
Cheers and best wishes!

Lets be honest about this "masterpiece" i was playing somebody rated a few hundred rating points below me...Thus, the result was not reflective of my "brilliant play" or an "opening novelty" (its one of the standard plans in king's indian). It was just another tactical blitz game where one player proved to be more successful in swindling than his opponent. I think i remember the game you are talking about. it was an ordinary blitz game with both sides just banging out the moves in mutual time trouble

D Dragicevic
03-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Do not worry, guys..You will not have to wait long. Once, saturday allegro finishes, i will post a comprehensive report on Domagoy's new opening repertoire.:eek:

well, in that case, i might not unleash my secret weapon.....

ER
03-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Lets be honest about this "masterpiece" i was playing somebody rated a few hundred rating points below me...Thus, the result was not reflective of my "brilliant play" or an "opening novelty" (its one of the standard plans in king's indian). It was just another tactical blitz game where one player proved to be more successful in swindling than his opponent. I think i remember the game you are talking about. it was an ordinary blitz game with both sides just banging out the moves in mutual time trouble
Well, I never claimed I was an expert, however, I was really impressed by that game, proof is that I still remember it vividly after such a long period of time!
Cheers and best wishes!:)

ER
03-08-2006, 01:05 PM

1 Nf3 ... e5?? 2 Ne5! Unless you 're going to play 1 e4 ... e5 2 d3? or 1 e4 ... e5 2 Nc3? or maybe 2 d4? :hmm:
Cheers and best wishes!

ER
03-08-2006, 01:07 PM
did you check out his location :eek:
lol no! Does he live somewhere far? Cheers and best wishes

MichaelBaron
03-08-2006, 04:11 PM
1 Nf3 ... e5?? 2 Ne5! Unless you 're going to play 1 e4 ... e5 2 d3? or 1 e4 ... e5 2 Nc3? or maybe 2 d4? :hmm:
Cheers and best wishes!

hm....there is always a way...:hmm: