PDA

View Full Version : World Schools Championship

MichaelBaron
20-07-2006, 12:39 AM
World Schools Championship is taking place in Chech Republic right now. A team from Australia is taking part

http://schach.wienerzeitung.at/Tnr3947.aspx?tnr=3947&art=8&lan=1&turdet=YES

WhiteElephant
20-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Strange tournament. Very few countries represented and not many rated players. Maybe this is because the tournament is only in its second year and hasn't taken off yet. I wonder how the Aus team got selected? I can certainly think of stronger Australian primary schools.

Mischa
20-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Which primary school is it????

Rincewind
20-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Strange tournament. Very few countries represented and not many rated players. Maybe this is because the tournament is only in its second year and hasn't taken off yet. I wonder how the Aus team got selected? I can certainly think of stronger Australian primary schools.

Maybe it is being organised by some Czech chess guru.

Rincewind
20-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Which primary school is it????

Kincoppal Czecheroos. I assume they are linked to the Kincoppal School of the Sacred Heart, Rose Bay (Sydney).

The team was...

Tayeh, Andrew
Sitch, Joseph
Soltysik, Sebastian
Steyn, Jack

Maybe someone from NSW knows something about these players. I haven't heard of any of them.

Watto
20-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Kincoppal Czecheroos. I assume they are linked to the Kincoppal School of the Sacred Heart, Rose Bay (Sydney).

The team was...

Tayeh, Andrew
Sitch, Joseph
Soltysik, Sebastian
Steyn, Jack

Maybe someone from NSW knows something about these players. I haven't heard of any of them.
From the ACF website:
699? 4 Tayeh, Andrew
538 3 Sitch, Joseph
630 6 Soltysik, Sebastian
453 5 Steyn, Jack

I guess they're representing their Australian school, not Australia as such. Must be exciting for them.

Brian_Jones
20-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Kincoppal did put a team in the NSW Teams Rapid event earlier this year (adults). Average age was under 10!

Sebastian is the younger brother of Adelaide Soltysik who has represented Australia overseas before!

WhiteElephant
20-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Maybe it is being organised by some Czech chess guru.

:) That thought had occurred to me too.

I like the idea of a World Schools Championships though, if they could get it up and running with top schools from each country.

steynj
12-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Yes, well, it was exciting for them. I'm Jack Steyn.

Denis_Jessop
12-09-2007, 04:00 PM

It is a rather strange tournament in that selection or even endorsement by the national federation is not necessary. Though this is the 2nd Czech one there was, I think, a similar event before that as at least one Australian school has entered a like event before (and perhaps even the 1st Czech one - don' recall). From memory all of them have been fairly poorly attended.

In short, this school is apparently there off its own bat as the ACF has not been involved as far as I know. A possibility is that Brett Tindall organised it as I seem to remember his having done that last year in Pardubice.

DJ

Spiny Norman
12-09-2007, 04:22 PM
So give us a scoop Jack ... "wots it like"? Having fun along the way I trust!

steynj
12-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Oh, totally fun. Missing a term of school, and playing my favourite skill/strategy game along the way?

The life.:lol:

Unfortunately, our team disbanded at the end of the year.

I went to Sydney Grammar Edgecliff, Joseph Sitch left for Melbourne, Andrew Tayeh went somewhere, and Sebastian remains at Kincoppal.

The trip was awesome.

In one of my games, I had to play for 3 and a half hours before finally defeating my opponent with a pawn ending. I won the most games out of our team, 4/7, and I have the lowest rating out of the four.

I really loved the experience. Brett Tindall (anyone here know him?) was our coach.

Spiny Norman
13-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Brett Tindall (anyone here know him?) was our coach.
Know the name, but have never met him. Sounds like a bit of a lark this playing-chess-all-over-the-world gig. Wish I'd been able to do that when I was but a lad. Glad you've enjoyed yourself!