PDA

View Full Version : Image Upload Limit

Dozy
15-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Does anybody know what limits have been set on uploading images to threads?

Also, if we try to pass that limit what happens? Failure to upload? Automatic deletion of earlier pix?

There doesn't seem to be any information in the FAQ or the Help/Feedback archive.

ElevatorEscapee
15-07-2006, 11:33 AM
I can't recall, but I thought there used to be a bar or something to let you know how much you had used up.

I think the 'premium members' are/were given more space to upload/attach images to posts.

[Edit: try clicking on your User CP, and then right at the bottom, your "Attachments". This will tell you what you have attached, and also give you the option to delete some older ones if you feel they are no longer necessary and you wish to make room for some new ones.] :)

Dozy
15-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I can't recall, but I thought there used to be a bar or something to let you know how much you had used up.

I think the 'premium members' are/were given more space to upload/attach images to posts.

[Edit: try clicking on your User CP, and then right at the bottom, your "Attachments". This will tell you what you have attached, and also give you the option to delete some older ones if you feel they are no longer necessary and you wish to make room for some new ones.] :)Thanks, EE, I hadn't thought to look there. It doesn't show the limit but it does have a red/green graph line showing what's been used and what's available. I've used 410kb and it looks as though there's around 590kb to go, so no need to delete any yet.
Cheers

Alan Shore
15-07-2006, 02:14 PM
If (like me) you ever found your quota used up, you can go here: http://imageshack.us/ for free hosting, simply upload the picture and paste the link using the [IMG] tags.

ElevatorEscapee
15-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Ahh... so that's how you got around it for posting the "Cute Girls" (and men in hats)! ;)

However, aren't you worried that if the imageshack site goes down (and they must have an enourmous bandwidth cost!) that your images will suddenly disappear from the board? :)

Alan Shore
15-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Ahh... so that's how you got around it for posting the "Cute Girls" (and men in hats)! ;)

However, aren't you worried that if the imageshack site goes down (and they must have an enourmous bandwidth cost!) that your images will suddenly disappear from the board? :)

It's probably the most reliable host on the net (moreso than photobucket) and if images do go down it is very temporarily.

Because the traffic to this site is relatively quiet, there's pretty much zero chance of the bandwidth allocated per image to be exceeded.

ElevatorEscapee
15-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Thank you for your response Belthasar. :)

I was actually suggesting that the traffic uploaded from the imageshack site from all the people who have used it to host their photos may cost the imageshack site a fortune in their bandwidth costs (which, if they become extremely popular, may become so high as to cause them to take measures to either recoup such costs from their customers, or shut down business).

Cheers,

~EE :)

Basil
16-07-2006, 12:21 PM
may become so high as to cause them to take measures to either recoup such costs from their customers, or shut down business

Or perhaps "sell" their audience to advertisers :hmm:

À la Google, Hotmail, Duggan

ElevatorEscapee
16-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Or perhaps "sell" their audience to advertisers :hmm:

la Google, Hotmail, Duggan

As someone who has dealt with the Internet, I am sure that you are aware that it's not a major money spinner. ;)