PDA

View Full Version : Help Switching Off Computer

Dozy
12-07-2006, 12:13 PM
For the past few days my computer won't switch itself off when I close down. I'm using Windows XP with SP2 and all updates are current (both Windows & virus definitions).

When I try to switch off using "Start/Turn Off Computer/Turn Off" the CPU grumbles for a few seconds, farts, hiccups, then leaves me where I was before. I have to use the off-button to cut power.

Any suggestions, please?

Mischa
12-07-2006, 12:16 PM
My computer went sentient months ago...I turn it off ...it waits until I am out of the room and then turns itself on again.
Or Like you just won't turn off unless it is unplugged.
Reminds me of a book I once read...The Alejandra Variations

Dozy
12-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Reminds me of a book I once read...The Alejandra VariationsDare I ask if that's a Spanish translation of the Kama Sutra?

Mischa
12-07-2006, 12:23 PM
lol

EZBeet
12-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Do you get any system messages during shutdown?

Dozy
12-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Do you get any system messages during shutdown?No, EZ, it just ignores me.

EZBeet
12-07-2006, 01:49 PM
so after "it just ignores" you, can you still use programs and carry on like before, as if you hadn't asked it to shut down?

I have come across sometyhing like this in the past.
my partner and I have a computer repair shop

Dozy
12-07-2006, 01:51 PM
so after "it just ignores" you, can you still use programs and carry on like before, as if you hadn't asked it to shut down?

I have come across sometyhing like this in the past.
my partner and I have a computer repair shopYep, it's as though I hadn't tried to shut it down at all. I can then continue using any program.

EZBeet
12-07-2006, 01:53 PM
It could be that there is a problem with 'winlogon.exe' you probably won't be able to kill that task, let me have a think for a bit.

Basil
12-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Have you tried "the look". Its an overbearing presence that I'm certain, once perfected, would force its bits and bytes to stop playing silly buggers and just do as it was told.

I think its a boundary thing - and you have to let it kow who's boss.

Desmond
12-07-2006, 02:00 PM
A) Threaten to buy a Mac

B) Hit it with a heavy wooden bat

C) Thrown a bucket of water on it

D) Turn it off at the power switch

EZBeet
12-07-2006, 02:13 PM
ok you can try this.

1. right click on desktop
2. select 'new' -> 'shortcut'
3. in the box that appears type "shutdown.exe -f -s -t 00" without the quotes
4. hit next and call your shortcut "Shutdown"
5. click "finish"

If this works you have a process which will not quit, the -f switch of the shutdown command forces it to. You can use this shortcut until the problem task is identified and resolved.

Dozy
12-07-2006, 02:18 PM
ok you can try this.

1. right click on desktop
2. select 'new' -> 'shortcut'
3. in the box that appears type "shutdown.exe -f -s -t 00" without the quotes
4. hit next and call your shortcut "Shutdown"
5. click "finish"

If this works you have a process which will not quit, the -f switch of the shutdown command forces it to. You can use this shortcut until the problem task is identified and resolved.Thanks heaps, EZ. If I don't get back right away you'll know I'm waiting to reboot the computer.

Davidflude
12-07-2006, 02:18 PM
1) first do a control alt delete.

2) Then click on performance

3) then check that some program is not hogging all the memory. This is very likely to cause the problem. If so end that program.

4) try closing down from Windows task manager

Another problem may be drivers. Make sure that you have the latest drivers.

Also check what your hard disk is like. Is it nearly full? Does it need to be defragged?

I had your problem on my old machine which was becoming unreliable.

Dozy
12-07-2006, 02:31 PM
EZ,
Many thanks. That worked a charm. If I eventually work out the problem I'll keep note of your method as a back-up.

David,
Thanks also. I'll try that next time I'm logging off. (Got my hands full doing something else at the moment.)

Boris,
Thought about trying your system but it wouldn't work because my computer would never believe I'd contemplate buying a Mac.

Howard,
The Look might work but I'd have to get a mate to do it for me. (I once wrote a piece for the Penrith Star about a mate who has perfected it. You can read about it here: http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adslpu7j/offtheair/thelook.html

Mischa,
Thank you for the exciting images. Keep enjoying those variations.

EZBeet
12-07-2006, 02:48 PM
OK, eventually you will find out which task is causing the problem :)

EZBeet
12-07-2006, 02:53 PM
To restart rather then shutdown.
Make another shortcut like before but change the -s to -r
call the new shortcut "Restart"

Garvinator
12-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Boris,
Thought about trying your system but it wouldn't work because my computer would never believe I'd contemplate buying a Mac.
I am very surprised that Howard didnt suggest this solution to you straight off the bat.

Basil
12-07-2006, 03:41 PM
My God people!

This is 2006 - you mean PCs still require this type of carry on? [I stopped using PCs in the late 80s]

This is insane! Bill Gates must be giggling like a hyaena!

Dozy
12-07-2006, 03:45 PM
My God people!

This is 2006 - you mean PCs still require this type of carry on? [I stopped using PCs in the late 80s]

This is insane! Bill Gates must be giggling like a hyaena!You keep talking like that, Howzer, I'll have to think about adding you to my ignore list...

On the positive side you might like to award yourself 5 HCDs for the diphthong.

Desmond
12-07-2006, 03:47 PM
If Bill Gates is laughing, I'm sure that it is because Macs are now running Windows.

EZBeet
12-07-2006, 04:03 PM
and Intel processors

one of the good things about Windows PCs is that 'this type of carry on' is possible
:)

Dozy
12-07-2006, 04:25 PM
About 15 years ago before a lot of offices had been computerised the boss asked me what I knew about Macs. I told him, "Absolutely nothing."
"Good," he said. "There's one in that box. Put it together and teach the staff how to use it."

I gotta say that in the days before Windows it was a pleasure to use. Much neater than DOS.

I'm not sure they have any advantage these days but, of course, I haven't been close to one since '93 so I don't really know.

EZBeet
13-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Apple are design geniuses I maintain. Their machines are certainly among the finest examples of the technological art to date.

One multitasking operating is pretty much like any other really however. They all fall over at the same points doing the same things when the same conditions arise.

So the MacOS/Windows debate is somewhat outdated.

Basil
13-07-2006, 01:47 PM
So the MacOS/Windows debate is somewhat outdated.

Oooooooooooooooh no it's not!

Mac users do not have to:

- put the left little finger in the ear
- spend five hours locating a corrupt driver
- spend half an hour on a bulletin board looking for the new updated driver
- listening to, and reading copious crap about self help antivurus nightmares
- remebering to extract little finger and stand on left foot

I have posted this link before. The ads have changed. But please enjoy.

Dozy
13-07-2006, 01:53 PM
1) first do a control alt delete.

2) Then click on performance

3) then check that some program is not hogging all the memory. This is very likely to cause the problem. If so end that program.

4) try closing down from Windows task manager

Another problem may be drivers. Make sure that you have the latest drivers.

Also check what your hard disk is like. Is it nearly full? Does it need to be defragged?

I had your problem on my old machine which was becoming unreliable.Thanks for your help, David. Thought you'd want to know how it worked out.

I tried your suggestions but they didn't help in this case. There's tons of space on the hard disk but I defragged it, ran a system scan, cleared out my temp internet files, and so on. I also tried closing down from the task manager.
So far as I know my drivers are up to date. I get automatic updates regularly.
It remains one of the mysteries but EZ's temporary solution is working fine.
I appreciate your advice.
Cheers

EZBeet
13-07-2006, 02:44 PM

Howard , you are a gem :)

outdated maybe, maybe not - ongoing certainly

Basil
13-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Howard , you are a gem :)

outdated maybe, maybe not - ongoing certainly

Excellent. That's settled then. Tea and bikkies my place? :)

Forgot the link, be sure to watch the ads!

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

ElevatorEscapee
13-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Ok ... that's settled then.

Now, does anyone know how we can shut off Howard! ;) (just joking HD! :P )

Davidflude
13-07-2006, 08:39 PM

Mac users do not have to:

- put the left little finger in the ear
- spend five hours locating a corrupt driver

- spend half an hour on a bulletin board looking for the new updated driver
- listening to, and reading copious crap about self help antivurus nightmares
- remebering to extract little finger and stand on left foot

I have posted this link before. The ads have changed. But please enjoy.
I spent money on a program that automates finding updated drivers. Nevertheless having to do so sucks.

Desmond
13-07-2006, 09:15 PM
...a program that automates finding updated drivers....
ahh but do you have the latest version?

Basil
13-07-2006, 10:30 PM
I spent money on a program that automates finding updated drivers. Nevertheless having to do so sucks.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Basil
13-07-2006, 10:31 PM
ahh but do you have the latest version?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

fianchetto
15-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Have you tried Google? I mean enter "My Computer Wont Shut Down" on google search. You'll find lot's of BB on this issue...There might be helpful tips that apply to you. The previous replies are good enough to consider (except Boris' approach, and Howard's rule).
As what Davidflude and EZ had said - there may be a process or processes running that's causing the system not to shutdown properly. These process can be from your USB or Firewire device that is plug into your PC - if you have it, remove it first before shuting down. Or there are malware or software installed (downloaded) that never stop running even you already pressed shutdown. You can find the tasks that caused "overloading" on Windows Task Manager. You can tell that it is busy by the corresponding values on CPU (number continouosly change) and Men Usage (high value) - end the task. Have you tried to the setting on your Power options on Performance & Maintenance (control panel)?
The next time this happen again, and all things were tried, consider restoring your system back to its original healty state - this is a better option than switching to MAC... hope I can be of help.

Basil
15-07-2006, 10:28 AM
... this is a better option than switching to MAC... hope I can be of help.

Yellow Card! Yes, think of all the hours of fun you'll miss out on ... think of it as a young man's birth right such as fiddling with cars ...

Incidentally, why is there no such thing as a Mac Technician? I have 25 networked macs. That way for 15 years. Well actually there are about 3 of them, but I think they're for PC converts looking for the CPU:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=EDB278F7&nclm=iMac

hint - the screen IS the CPU

Cost of IT help = nil
Cost of scrambling for drivers whizz bang pop = nil
Reading forums like this ? = priceless

OK, eventually you will find out which task is causing the problem :)
Anybody home? :)

fianchetto
15-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Cost of IT help = nil
Cost of scrambling for drivers whizz bang pop = nil
Reading forums like this ? = priceless
When in doubt consider Howard's Rule.

Dozy
15-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Have you tried Google? I mean enter "My Computer Wont Shut Down" on google search. You'll find lot's of BB on this issue...There might be helpful tips that apply to you. The previous replies are good enough to consider (except Boris' approach, and Howard's rule).
As what Davidflude and EZ had said - there may be a process or processes running that's causing the system not to shutdown properly. These process can be from your USB or Firewire device that is plug into your PC - if you have it, remove it first before shuting down. Or there are malware or software installed (downloaded) that never stop running even you already pressed shutdown. You can find the tasks that caused "overloading" on Windows Task Manager. You can tell that it is busy by the corresponding values on CPU (number continouosly change) and Men Usage (high value) - end the task. Have you tried to the setting on your Power options on Performance & Maintenance (control panel)?
The next time this happen again, and all things were tried, consider restoring your system back to its original healty state - this is a better option than switching to MAC... hope I can be of help.Thanks Mr Chetto, that's all useful information.

Bill Gletsos
15-07-2006, 12:45 PM
It is worth noting that Windows XP Automatic Update function will not download or inform you of optional software patches or driver updates, only high priority fixes.

If however you go to http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us and use the custom (express wont help).

e.g. I just found an update showing there there for my Silicon Image SiI 3114 SATALink Controller.

ElevatorEscapee
15-07-2006, 02:04 PM
He he he, I remember getting into trouble by downloading one of Micro$oft's optional (custom) "hardware" updates for a 56k modem last year (which caused the modem not to work, and a reinstall of the original drivers :) ).

Basil
15-07-2006, 06:23 PM
A Global Phenomenum ... The Best Of ...
This might all seem normal to you folk, but from where we sit, you're all completely batty ............. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

updates for a 56k modem last year (which caused the modem not to work, and a reinstall of the original drivers

It is worth noting that Windows XP Automatic Update function will not download or inform you of optional software patches or driver updates, only high priority fixes.

The next time this happen again, and all things were tried...
That's what I call positive thinking :)

To restart rather then shutdown. Make another shortcut like before but change the -s to -r
call the new shortcut "Restart"

I spent money on a program that automates finding updated drivers.

Desmond
16-07-2006, 12:40 PM
A Global Phenomenum ... The Best Of ...
This might all seem normal to you folk, but from where we sit, you're all completely batty ............. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

That's what I call positive thinking :)
The Apple ship is sinking whether you like it or not. Either jump off, of get some scuba gear mate.

Basil
16-07-2006, 12:47 PM
The Apple ship is sinking whether you like it or not. Either jump off, of get some scuba gear mate.

Either you're kidding, in which case that one didn't touch the sides, or you're serious, and like you political observations, they are misguided and baseless.

Ipod? Copied to buggery
Mac Design? Copied to buggery
Mac Interface? Copied to buggery

How long has the Mac ship been sinking?

As a proponent of the ALP, surely the sinking has got nothing to do with it, its the principle that matters:silenced:

Desmond
16-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Either you're kidding, in which case that one didn't touch the sides, or you're serious, and like you political observations, they are misguided and baseless.

Ipod? Copied to buggery
Mac Design? Copied to buggery
Mac Interface? Copied to buggery

How long has the Mac ship been sinking?

As a proponent of the ALP, surely the sinking has got nothing to do with it, its the principle that matters:silenced:
I should have been more specific; my statement was not inclusive of the iPod, but rather the Apple PC division (Which is incidently what we were talking about).

Howard, when your "Mac" has an Intel processor, running Microsoft OS and applications, and most of your hardware is interchangeable between PC and Mac, will you still consider it a Mac?

fianchetto
16-07-2006, 10:32 PM
I like driving my sportcar Mac. But when I'm meandering into the jungle landscape of the computer world where the terrain is rough and the condition is unpredictable, there's no better way to equip myself than to have my reliable four-wheel drive PC. It would be silly for me to fit bull bar, tow bar or roof top on my sportMac. I agree with you Boris, with plug ins on Mac, its no longer a Mac.
To HG - Escape from city driving, divert from the tourist route and take the fringes of exciting and adventuruos journey where no Mac have gone...

Basil
17-07-2006, 06:00 AM
Red Alert, Mop & Bucket, Isles 5 & 6

Intel is a separate corporate entity from Microsoft. Intel makes chips. It was formed in the 1960's and has partnered with many firms, for instance Xerox and IBM.

It has nothing to do with Gates and his substandard software. Hardware manufacturers [Apple and hundreds of other PC box makers use Intel as a supplier]

Gates has one claim to fame. He's the creator of the substandard Windows software that has you fools [and the planet] by the goolies and is of no relevance to your claims.

As for add ons *** ha ***, mac is the orginal open the box and let if fly machine. What sort of add ons are you talking about?

Tap tap. Anyone home?

Now, if you plonkers will watch these and you still want to talk, I'm listening!:
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

There are 6 of them. Not the ones I showed you yesterday. These ads are doing the rounds throughout the USA. Regrettably, they are not airing on 'Strine TV to educate the bland masses that you guys represent. Shame. This isn't a backwater by any chance, is it? :)

They appear to feature Howard and Boris :)

Desmond
17-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Red Alert, Mop & Bucket, Isles 5 & 6

Intel is a separate corporate entity from Microsoft. Intel makes chips. It was formed in the 1960's and has partnered with many firms, for instance Xerox and IBM.
Thanks for the history lesson. For those interested, Intel is no longer describing themselves as a chip company, but rather as a platform company. This has already been seen for a couple of years with the emergence of Centrino, and more recently, Viiv. The point is, they will not just make the CPU; the whole machine will gradually change.

It has nothing to do with Gates and his substandard software. Hardware manufacturers [Apple and hundreds of other PC box makers use Intel as a supplier]

Gates has one claim to fame. He's the creator of the substandard Windows software that has you fools [and the planet] by the goolies and is of no relevance to your claims.

There are PC users who can't stand Windows, it is true. Many of them have moved to other OSs. Can't think of too many of them lining up for Mac OS though :hmm:

What I am saying is that what makes a Mac a Mac is being eroded. This is happening on multiple fronts - both on hardware and software level. My question, which you have ducked and run from, was: at what point will it stop being a Mac?

As for add ons *** ha ***, mac is the orginal open the box and let if fly machine. What sort of add ons are you talking about?
Who said anything about add-ons? wtf are you talking about?

Basil
17-07-2006, 12:48 PM
The point is, they will not just make the CPU; the whole machine will gradually change.
My point was, your staement, like PC ads and packaging was misleading. Viz; "blah blah blah excitement with the little ping "intel inside". The blah bla blah is often patter regarding what a PC can do - which is always thesame as a mac, but 4 years behind the times. Windows is a slow plodding gigantic mac copy.

There are PC users who can't stand Windows, it is true. Many of them have moved to other OSs. Can't think of too many of them lining up for Mac OS though
There are heaps. The windows interface is to help the fools acroos to the mac platform. The idea that a mac user is going to trial the Windows interface and go wahaay, is laughable. Its the other way around.

What I am saying is that what makes a Mac a Mac is being eroded. This is happening on multiple fronts - both on hardware and software level. My question, which you have ducked and run from, was: at what point will it stop being a Mac?
I didn't duck. I ignored it as laughable. My answer [now I know the question is serious] is the same as para above.

Who said anything about add-ons? wtf are you talking about?

Ahem. Did you think the mop and bucket was just for you?

I like driving my sportcar Mac. But when I'm meandering into the jungle landscape of the computer world where the terrain is rough and the condition is unpredictable, there's no better way to equip myself than to have my reliable four-wheel drive PC. It would be silly for me to fit bull bar, tow bar or roof top on my sportMac. I agree with you Boris, with plug ins on Mac, its no longer a Mac. To HG - Escape from city driving, divert from the tourist route and take the fringes of exciting and adventuruos journey where no Mac have gone...

Be still my heart! As as I said, Gates must be really enjoying this. Did you look at the ads?

Desmond
17-07-2006, 12:59 PM
So you're going to ignore my point regarding Intel. Pity.

Basil
17-07-2006, 01:07 PM
So you're going to ignore my point regarding Intel. Pity.

Would you restate you Intel point, please. I don't follow.

Desmond
17-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Would you restate you Intel point, please. I don't follow.
If only half of your hardware is Apple, and the other half is from other vendors (Intel, Asus, Philips etc) is your computer to be considered a Mac?

fianchetto
17-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
Be still my heart! As as I said, Gates must be really enjoying this. Did you look at the ads? Yes and thanks, I want to learn more...
I use MAC before. I love its features...But I'm practical. The book " Macromedia Flash MX actionscripting" that I'm reading have this NOTE "Users of Macintosh OS will not be able to complete the execises, Introducing Socker Servers...etc.". I was devastated. I visited Dymock to find materials so I can continue my project... simply there's not much Mac book around to satisfy my needs. Im afraid the Java support is limited to Mac OS. What I can do...? Do I have to switch my career for this?, I opted to switch to PC instead. Its practical to join the 98% of the computer users than stick to my collectable Mac..I may get occasional virus along the way, but its fun fixing things like this and part of leaning experince too. Talking about computer virus you'll love this PC-vs-MAC spoof http://www.break.com/index/pcvsmac1.html have fun.

Basil
17-07-2006, 08:07 PM
If only half of your hardware is Apple, and the other half is from other vendors (Intel, Asus, Philips etc) is your computer to be considered a Mac?

OK. I see. The outsourcing to specialised component makers. Yes, in that regard, it is somewhat less mac'ish than the 100% that was made in Cupertino.

But the dilution you are talking about, even 10 years from now perhaps won't match the dilution that currently exists with say whatever hell machine you're thumping away on right now. A bit of this from China, a bit of that from Korea, plus a bit of yank and the crowning gory, I mean glory of Gates substandard software.

Its a forking joke. Perhaps you've forgotten the laughing stock that was the first 20 posts of this thread!

Have you seen the ads? Do you concede anything about the miserable clunking box you call a third millenium computer? I am happy to be sidetracked away to "yes, but is it still a mac?"

Go on, admit it, your a bit jealous.

Basil
17-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Yes and thanks, I want to learn more...

What can I tell you? Whatever is new for PC, Mac was doing it 5 years ago. That's not a beat up, that's a fact. Advertising agencies, newspapers, tv stations, schools run their entire setup on macs. Admin, creative, word processing - the whole 9 yards.

In all seriousness, you can either:

1) Join the CAQ, like Thomas and wait for the next CAQ meeting at my place and get the experience first hand :), or
2) Visit www.apple.com

Desmond
18-07-2006, 12:36 PM
OK. I see. The outsourcing to specialised component makers. Yes, in that regard, it is somewhat less mac'ish than the 100% that was made in Cupertino.

But the dilution you are talking about, even 10 years from now perhaps won't match the dilution that currently exists with say whatever hell machine you're thumping away on right now. A bit of this from China, a bit of that from Korea, plus a bit of yank and the crowning gory, I mean glory of Gates substandard software.
That's your Mac mentality talking. What is wrong with using the best components from the best manufacturers? If AMD makes the best CPUs and Asus make the best motherboards, having a mixture of brands is not bastardisation, but using the best.

Your argument is a moot point anyway. because the very thing you apparently despise about PCs is already infiltrating Macs.

Have you seen the ads? Do you concede anything about the miserable clunking box you call a third millenium computer? I am happy to be sidetracked away to "yes, but is it still a mac?"

Go on, admit it, your a bit jealous.
Haven't seen them actually. Someone else sent them to me ages ago, but I didn't ever watch them for some reason. I'll check tonight.

Why should I be jealous? I can't think of a single thing that I want to do that can be done on Mac and not PC.

Desmond
18-07-2006, 12:42 PM
1) Join the CAQ, like Thomas and wait for the next CAQ meeting at my place and get the experience first hand :)
Don't worry, I shall be bringing holy water, bibles and crosses. Maybe even garlic.

Dozy
18-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Don't worry, I shall be bringing holy water, bibles and crosses. Maybe even garlic.Apropos nothing at all (but then this thread was successfully concluded some time ago) I found a different application for bell, book and candle in the fight against AIDS. Don't know if it'd work for the CAQ, though. It's at http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adslpu7j/offtheair/bbcandle.html

Basil
18-07-2006, 01:58 PM
What is wrong with using the best components from the best manufacturers? If AMD makes the best CPUs and Asus make the best motherboards, having a mixture of brands is not bastardisation, but using the best.
Boris, you're switch hitting. A bob each way. Obfuscating. Fairweather arguing. AO ing. Dribbling.

1. This thread started with the abomination that is PCs.
2. You didn't respond to the core issue as evidenced by the first 15 posts.
3. You asked when is a Mac not a mac? (Because of diverse supplier componentry).
4. You then defend the use of diverse supplier componentry.

Re: 1. I'm still laughing. You're still yet to discuss.
Re: 2. I'm still laughing. You're still yet to discuss.
Re: 3. I answered.
Re: 4. You use the inverse to defend the PC situation

Your argument is a moot point anyway. because the very thing you apparently despise about PCs is already infiltrating Macs.
Naughty. The very thing I despise most about PCs is the substandard software on which it must run. Its D/R/E/A/D/F/U/L

Haven't seen them actually. Someone else sent them to me ages ago, but I didn't ever watch them for some reason. I'll check tonight.
You simply must.

Why should I be jealous? I can't think of a single thing that I want to do that can be done on Mac and not PC.
Ignorance is bliss.

Basil
18-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Don't know if it'd work for the CAQ, though.

Gasp!

Desmond
18-07-2006, 02:24 PM
AO ing.
I object to that. :lol:

I didn't respond to the problem initially because I thought my reply was much more fun. If no one else had helped, I would have later.

There is no contradiction in my position. Apple products were exclusively Apple. Therefore, having other brands making hardware for Apple machines is a step away from what makes them what they were. PC products have not been this way for a long time. In fact, they used to be termed "IBM compatible".

Naughty. The very thing I despise most about PCs is the substandard software on which it must run. Its D/R/E/A/D/F/U/L which was my point from the beginning - Macs are now running Windows.

Ignorance is bliss.
I know you are, but what am I :P

Basil
18-07-2006, 05:47 PM
which was my point from the beginning - Macs are now running Windows.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh someone make it stop!

It runs windows so that plonkers like you can make the switch.

Make him stop make him stop

Windows is vile

Make him stoppppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fianchetto
18-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Dozy said the BB was already concluded.. so here's last entry... PC-vs-MAC spoof
http://www.break.com/index/pcvsmac1.html

So what comes next after MAC?

Basil
18-07-2006, 08:09 PM
OK. Everyone carry on ...

Left foot on nose, little finger in right ear ...

Mischa
18-07-2006, 09:09 PM
we do the hokey pokey....

Brian_Jones
19-07-2006, 09:14 AM
That's what this BB is all about!

Desmond
19-07-2006, 09:50 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh someone make it stop!

It runs windows so that plonkers like you can make the switch.

Make him stop make him stop

Windows is vile

Make him stoppppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, we're really going to buy a whole heap of new hardware so that we can keep running the same programs we run now. :rolleyes:

The change is so that Mac users can open their eyes to the universe of programs that are designed for Windows. However, sometimes when you lead horses to water, they prefer to drink from the toilet.

Basil
20-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Make him stop. He sounds like AO or AC. Make him stop.

Boris, we already have Word for instance. A nasty little boring programme that sits dormant until we ar sent a document by a PC fool. We use this programme to read the attachment.

Great job on fudging the issue of the first 20 posts. You have skllfully guided the direction from awful crashing polnking substandard software to .... what is your point again?

drleper
20-07-2006, 12:48 AM
My computer went sentient months ago...I turn it off ...it waits until I am out of the room and then turns itself on again.
Or Like you just won't turn off unless it is unplugged.
Reminds me of a book I once read...The Alejandra Variations

Got Power up on Network or something like that turned on in the BIOS?

Mischa
20-07-2006, 08:18 AM
will check

Desmond
20-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Make him stop. He sounds like AO or AC. Make him stop.

Boris, we already have Word for instance. A nasty little boring programme that sits dormant until we ar sent a document by a PC fool. We use this programme to read the attachment.

Great job on fudging the issue of the first 20 posts. You have skllfully guided the direction from awful crashing polnking substandard software to .... what is your point again?
I merely made a joke solution to Dozy problem (which evidently he found funny btw). You're the one who is trying to sledge Windows, and I have responded in kind re MacIntoids.

I do take your point, however. This is not the thread to have such an exchange. I'll butt out unless the thread is split.

Dozy
01-08-2006, 08:18 AM
. . . You can use this shortcut until the problem task is identified and resolved.Solution finally found. The problem was with Norton's ccApp.exe. When my subscription came due on the weekend I upgraded to Norton 20006 and no more problems.

Even so, being the optimist that I am, I've left a little short-cut called EZBeet's Shutdown on my desktop. Just in case!

Thanks for the help.

antichrist
01-08-2006, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE=Howard Duggan]Make him stop. He sounds like AO or AC. Make him stop.

However, sometimes when you lead horses to water, they prefer to drink from the toilet. And you can lead a horse to drink but you can't make him ..... (censored so won't be banned - aren't I a goodie)

Basil
01-08-2006, 08:54 AM
All friends around here. Perhaps Dozy could do a limerick about horses to water or similar.

Dozy
01-08-2006, 11:38 AM
However, sometimes when you lead horses to water, they prefer to drink from the toilet. And you can lead a horse to drink but you can't make him ..... (censored so won't be banned - aren't I a goodie)I dunno about horses drinking from the toilet, AC. You might be mixing them up with cats. No more limericks -- horses' birthday or not, SWMBO and I are just heading out for the day.

Desmond
01-08-2006, 03:15 PM
*flush* :uhoh:

ElevatorEscapee
03-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Have you guys worked out how to turn off Howard's Mac yet? :D