PDA

View Full Version : The Biology of Religious Belief

Cat
10-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
Lead the way. References to refereed publications, please.

Which of these characteristics shared between sexual partners most strongly correlates with the development of a lasting and intimate relationship?

a. Height.
b. Facial Features
c. Religious persuation.

Mischa
10-07-2006, 10:10 PM
I am thinking height..or facial features..but only in a country of complimentary religious persuasion?

Mischa
10-07-2006, 10:11 PM
During my years in psychology i do seem to remember an intersting study that suggested people tend to partner wiith those of similar looks

Cat
10-07-2006, 10:17 PM
I am thinking height..or facial features..but only in a country of complimentary religious persuasion?

That would be most people's initial reaction, but you might be surprised. The biological feature that has the strongest correlation, believe it or not, is the length of the middle finger! The coefficient of correlation is 0.6 and is greater than height or facial features. Religious belief had a coefficient of 0.9, significantly higher than any biological characteristic.

Cat
10-07-2006, 10:18 PM
During my years in psychology i do seem to remember an intersting study that suggested people tend to partner wiith those of similar looks

Facial features had a coefficient of about 0.5, which is still quite strong.

Mischa
10-07-2006, 10:18 PM
hmmm...brb gotta go measure...that wasn't on your list

Alan Shore
10-07-2006, 10:24 PM

Correct - this was the conclusion from research by Feingold.

In general, age, ethnicity, social class and education also show strong positive correlations to go with religion.

Cat
10-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Correct - this was the conclusion from research by Feingold.

In general, age, ethnicity, social class and education also show strong positive correlations to go with religion.

Yes, that's correct, culture and ethnicity also have coefficients of 0.9. Along with religious belief they are seminal to the most important personal decisions we are ever likely to make - they exert a profound effect over our choices and behaviour.

WhiteElephant
10-07-2006, 10:27 PM
What about those hot chicks you see with ugly guys? What's up with that?

Mischa
10-07-2006, 10:28 PM
hmmm mine are longer

Cat
10-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Have you ever looked at their fingers?

Cat
10-07-2006, 10:34 PM
hmmm mine are longer

You may be having serious relationship difficulties - are you sure you've measured correctly. Some people display differences between the left & right had, try measuring both hands!!

Mischa
10-07-2006, 10:36 PM
:( I did

Alan Shore
10-07-2006, 10:37 PM

http://www.wealthgeneration.net/images/PileOfCash_WealthGeneration.net.jpg

Mischa
10-07-2006, 10:38 PM
funny
BTW Iam looking for a guy with middle finger on left hand measuring 3 inches

Cat
10-07-2006, 10:41 PM
:( I did

Don't worry, I know a good hand surgeon who could fix your relationship problems in a stroke! If all else fails there's always surgery.

Mischa
10-07-2006, 10:43 PM
hmmmm.....

Mischa
10-07-2006, 10:51 PM
so not a legitimate case for divorce?

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Which of these characteristics shared between sexual partners most strongly correlates with the development of a lasting and intimate relationship?

a. Height.
b. Facial Features
c. Religious persuation.

Perhaps you might start by explaining what this has to do with biology, as opposed to psychology (in as much as the two are distinct at all).

I suppose you're going to tell me the answer is (c) and then I'm going to say that that figures since people who like having lots of short term relationships are naturally unlikely to believe dogma that says that such behaviour will send them to Hell.

I'd be interested to know whether you've come across anything that proves that it is religious belief determining relationship behaviour rather than the other way around. Frankly I don't know how you would settle it one way or the other - maybe it works both ways?

And what any of this has to do with the thread it came from (Pol Phil 101) I really have no idea.

Cat
11-07-2006, 09:16 PM
so not a legitimate case for divorce?

chopping your fingers off is less painful!

Mischa
11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
probably right

Cat
11-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Perhaps you might start by explaining what this has to do with biology, as opposed to psychology (in as much as the two are distinct at all).

The most important negotiation in anyones life is in choosing ones sexual partner. Religious belief is a major part of that platform. Similarly it plays an important role in social contracts within a society, so much so that it is important component in any complex social system.

Mischa
11-07-2006, 09:29 PM
which is why arranged marriages seem to work quite well?

Cat
11-07-2006, 10:20 PM
which is why arranged marriages seem to work quite well?

Exactly. Boy I can see were heading into dangerous waters now. I can see a few leaks in the canoe, but I reckon if I paddle hard I should be ok!

Mischa
11-07-2006, 10:21 PM
the question may be...for whom do they work well?
The participants or the culture?

Axiom
11-07-2006, 10:22 PM
The most important negotiation in anyones life is in choosing ones sexual partner. Religious belief is a major part of that platform. Similarly it plays an important role in social contracts within a society, so much so that it is important component in any complex social system.
exactly, why its role should be diminished, so more able to follow truer paths

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2006, 10:27 PM
The most important negotiation in anyones life is in choosing ones sexual partner.

Bit of a generalisation there.

Religious belief is a major part of that platform.

You're not addressing my point that while religious belief can influence partner selection, attitudes to partner selection can also influence religious belief.

Similarly it plays an important role in social contracts within a society, so much so that it is important component in any complex social system.

So?

Cat
11-07-2006, 10:28 PM
the question may be...for whom do they work well?
The participants or the culture?

Very good! In any non-egalitarian society, there will always be winners and losers. The question should be can & do religions work to ameliorate the hardships as well as maintain the status quo?

Mischa
11-07-2006, 10:31 PM
In an isolated situation...they work to maintain the status quo and also to maintain social stratas (word?)
More often tho they seem to work to supress a minority (or majority) and in a global situation they work only to inhibit and predujice

Cat
11-07-2006, 10:32 PM
You're not addressing my point that while religious belief can influence partner selection, attitudes to partner selection can also influence religious belief.

Influences always act in both directions, though I don't understand the significance of the point you're trying to make.

So?

What are you, 10 or something?

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Influences always act in both directions, though I don't understand the significance of the point you're trying to make.

It's that influences working in both directions undermines your claim about the supposedly huge relevance of religion and creates a need to establish how much of the causation goes which way.

What are you, 10 or something?

I'm 34, and in all those years I'm yet to meet anyone with as much difficulty with the concept of relevance in a debate as you. :hand:

I just wanted you to explain how any of this was relevant to the original thread. Which comment on the Pol Phil 101 thread is it relevant to and how?

Cat
11-07-2006, 10:42 PM
In an isolated situation...they work to maintain the status quo and also to maintain social stratas (word?)
More often tho they seem to work to supress a minority (or majority) and in a global situation they work only to inhibit and predujice

As societies become more complex increasing inequalities develop. Surpluses are produced which are controlled by elites. Government and religion help to maintain stability in the face of mounting inequality. Prejudice is not a product of religion, but a product of human behaviour. Religion too is a product of human behaviour. Individuals can be inhibited in their thinking whether religious or not. Christianity was a stimulus to many brilliant minds such as Michael Angelo and Newton.

Cat
11-07-2006, 10:46 PM
It's that influences working in both directions undermines your claim about the supposedly huge relevance of religion and creates a need to establish how much of the causation goes which way.

I'm 34, and in all those years I'm yet to meet anyone with as much difficulty with the concept of relevance in a debate as you. :hand:

I just wanted you to explain how any of this was relevant to the original thread. Which comment on the Pol Phil 101 thread is it relevant to and how?

We're talking about the biology of religious belief

Kevin Bonham
11-07-2006, 10:50 PM
We're talking about the biology of religious belief

Well explain it on the original thread then. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Cat
11-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Well explain it on the original thread then. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Just for the hell of it and to annoy you, I think I'll explain it here, mutton brain!

Cat
11-07-2006, 11:44 PM

Woteva

Kevin Bonham
12-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Just for the hell of it and to annoy you, I think I'll explain it here,

I'm waiting!