PDA

View Full Version : BB Vernacular - Newbie's Quick Start Guide to ChessChat

Basil
09-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Article 42: A document that essentially says this forum is a community. Its not just about the chess. All welcome. Most tolerated.
BB: Bulletin Board
BBL: Be Back Later
BEMU: Belated Excited Misinformed Utterance.
Bot: Moderator/ Admin. Originally a derogatory term likening behavioural traits similar to a robot. Since reclaimed as a term of endearment.
BRB: Be Right Back
Chess: A very difficult game that is beyond most BB users.
Coffee Lounge [CL]: Curious reference with no known origins. Occasionally slips into the vernacular. Often avoided once uttered. Crazy speak which sometimes results in the utterer disappearing.
Dribble: A collection of words that makes no sense. Often, the author is unaware.
FOFW: Please leave.
Girls: 'Morning Girls, 'Evening Girls. A pleasant way to say hello to the largely male populace of the BB. Try it in the Shoutbox, one day.
HADBBA: Howard Andrew Duggan Bulletin Board Awards.
HCD: Howie Cyber Dollar. Often paid for quality posts and witicisms.
IMO: In My Opinion. IMHO: In My Humble Opinion.
Off fucoffee: Coffee Break
Lefty Plonker: A derogatory, or term of endearment depending on the recipient. Refers to the author's opinion of one's political leanings.
Line of text: An unknown identity.
Lurker: A registered user who prefers to look but not post. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Mollusc: 1. Lowest life form on BB 2. Kevin's little friends.
NTTAWWT: Not that there's anything wrong with that. Regularly used to confirm that one's employment in making holes in doughnuts is quite acceptable, some might say admirable [except Axiom].
Obfuscating Dribble: Dribble that is generally intended to cloud an issue that is otherwise lost to the author via rationale debate.
Poll: A user generated mechanism intended to measure support for a proposition. Prone to failure 90% of the time through a) disinterest, or b) voters voting in self interest.
Rubber Bullet: A spamming mechanism created by Antichrist.
Sausage Time: Cigarette Break
s.f.: split from. A thread is split from its original when in the opinion of the Squad, it has either drifted to far, or is worthy of separate attention.
SWAMBO: She Who Always Must Be Obeyed. Often permission required from SWAMBO to play in tournaments.
The [Mod] Squad: Collective noun for admins/ moderators coined by Howard Duggan.
Troll [v.]: The intent of provoking or inflaming.
WTF?: That defies belief.
Yellow Card: Unofficial Infringement.

Non permitted words:
Paradigm
Metric

Basil
11-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Non permitted words UPDATE:

Paradigm - wankish
Metric - we did just fine before its widespread use
Axiomatic - on its merits
Bourgeois [ie] - dangerous dribble in firegoat7's hands

Basil
27-07-2006, 07:33 PM
For consideration to be inducted:

WIBBLE

as penned by Mother Bot in Regarding The Behaviour thread

Kevin Bonham
27-07-2006, 07:40 PM
WIBBLE

Can't claim credit for it personally, I'm afraid. While I'm the sole user of "wibble" here thus far, I'm one of three or four posters who use it quite heavily on my other main forum. The main culprit also posts here but I'll try not to blow his cover.

Desmond
27-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Not unique to this site, but some others for @ n00b to remember:

LOL: Laugh Out Loud
ROFL: Roll On Floor Laughing
PMSL: P*ss MySelf Laughing

Ian Murray
27-07-2006, 11:17 PM
These should facilitate inter-user exchanges on CC:-

AWGTHTGTATA
Are We Going To Have To Go Through All This Again
AYCOOYM
Are You Completely Out Of Your Mind
CYPUWIPD
Can You Pick-Up What I'm Putting Down
DAMHIKIJKOK
Don't Ask Me How I Know, I Just Know OK
FIOFY
Figure It Out For Yourself
ICTYBTIHTKY
I Could Tell You But Then I'd Have To Kill You
IMCAO
In My Completely Arrogant Opinion
IMHBCO
In My Humble But Correct Opinion
NALOPKT
Not A Lot Of People Know This
ONNA
Oh No, Not Again
SUNOILTY
Shut Up, No One Is Listening To You
WAFWOT
What A Waste Of Time
WTFRUTA
What Are You Talking About
YAFIYGI
You Asked For It, You Got It
YANETUT
You Are Not Expected To Understand This
YHGASP
You Have Got A Serious Problem

Kevin Bonham
27-07-2006, 11:47 PM
And of course the immortal AMABR, and its close cousin AMABIPR.

A Google search revealed that "Alert, Mop and Bucket Required" is an original Gletsosism found nowhere on the internet but chesschat.

I wonder if it will spread?

Basil
11-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Ian, you appear to have missed the translation of a couple of 'F's. I can't for the life of me work out what they could be.

WAFWOT
What A Waste Of Time
WTFRUTA
What Are You Talking About

Brian_Jones
11-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Ian, you appear to have missed the translation of a couple of 'F's. I can't for the life of me work out what they could be.

I know what FQ means but does FC refer to Canetoads or Cockroaches? :eek:

Ian Murray
11-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Thorough searches of reference books and other materials failed to elucidate on these.

I guess it must be a misprint

Trent Parker
11-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Rotfl pmsl

AFAIK - As Far As I Know
FWIW - For what its worth.

firegoat7
11-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Im afraid your glossary is incorrect Howard, here are some updates..

Dog- Invented by Matt Sweeney. It means backdoor man unable to settle or resolve disputes in an honest way.

Bot- Invented by Fg7. It means an unreflective computer loop that is stuck in binary opposition and therefore show a distinct lack of humanity.

B1 and B2- Kevin and Bill.

Moron- A person who disagrees with the arguer.

Idiot- a person who disagrees with the arguer.

Fool- A person who disagrees with the arguer.

Tockley- a person who is adapt at one handed internet typing.

Five cars- parasite.

clown- somebody who works for the ACF

the circus- ACF

orientation course- Victorian championship

goose- see chesslover

ragtop- ???

dribbler- mindless insult

Cheers fg7

Axiom
11-10-2006, 09:39 PM
goose- see chesslover

Cheers fg7 fg- do you describe yourself as a chesslover?

firegoat7
12-10-2006, 10:20 AM
fg- do you describe yourself as a chesslover?

Axiom- search memberslist for chesslover to understand the context of my comments.

cheers Fg7

Axiom
12-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Axiom- search memberslist for chesslover to understand the context of my comments.

cheers Fg7...good,i was hoping it wasn't a freudian slip ....... :)

ElevatorEscapee
02-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Swonky ... a 'you know what!'

Rincewind
17-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Can't claim credit for it personally, I'm afraid. While I'm the sole user of "wibble" here thus far, I'm one of three or four posters who use it quite heavily on my other main forum. The main culprit also posts here but I'll try not to blow his cover.

Wasn't wibble the word one uses to try and feign madness and get out of the army? From the fourth series of Blackadder (along with wearing your underpants on your head and putting a pencil up each nostril).

antichrist
17-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Wasn't wibble the word one uses to try and feign madness and get out of the army? From the fourth series of Blackadder (along with wearing your underpants on your head and putting a pencil up each nostril).

I thought that chopsticks may have been invented as a tool to clear both nostrils at once.

Phil Bourke
18-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Mmmmmmm.
I always thought that WTF stood for Wheres The Fire :)
Guess my education isn't as complete as it should be ;)

Basil
14-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Non permitted words UPDATE:

Paradigm - wankish
Metric - we did just fine before its widespread use
Axiomatic - on its merits
Bourgeois [ie] - dangerous dribble in firegoat7's hands

Since this post almost 2 years ago, I'm delighted to report that three of the non permitted words (#s 1,2 & 4) have all but disappeared from the board. #3 is still in use (illegally) but to a far lesser degree.

Denis_Jessop
15-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Since this post almost 2 years ago, I'm delighted to report that three of the non permitted words (#s 1,2 & 4) have all but disappeared from the board. #3 is still in use (illegally) but to a far lesser degree.

Is it the words or their users that have disappeared? :D

DJ

Kevin Bonham
15-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I've used "paradigm" to bop Axiom over the head a few times lately.

eclectic
15-06-2008, 09:49 PM
sadly a metastasis of the m word may well be breaking out elswhere :confused:

Kevin Bonham
15-06-2008, 11:09 PM
sadly a metastasis of the m word may well be breaking out elswhere :confused:

Not to mention the metricated one's bizarre habit of using misleading, silly pseudo-mathematical jargon for basic sums, a current case being "absolute deviation" in a context in which "difference" would suffice.

Indeed, in various contexts he uses "difference", "absolute difference" and "absolute deviation" to all mean the same thing as each other.

He has also used "competitive index", "average difference", "mean of absolute differences" and the ghastly "mean absolute deviation" to all mean the same thing as each other.

Mop and bucket required, alert unnecessary. :lol:

Basil
12-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Psycho-sympatico Cringing Disorder (Response)
{PCD or PCR}

A (non-voluntary) neurotic response prevalent in the weak-minded and feeble of character.

Invariably presents as a result of observing a potential conflict situation between a deserving miscreant and any other party.

Critical and necessary is the shutdown of normal cognitive brain functions to the degree that
- there is an exaggerated belief that some act of violence is moments away
- that a soundtrack of squealing pigs is running in the background
- that blood spatters have appeared on the screen
- immediate inability to add any negative weight (of any proportionate degree) to the causal miscreant's deeds
- have a singular inability to follow what is actually happening in the order that it is happening

Research has shown that
- sufferers have a hard-wired preference to look the other way and allow an unpunished misdeed rather than witness the 'the reckoning'
- sufferers have miniature cogliones
- sufferers are predisposed towards the arts
- sufferers have a higher than population average propensity to use mind altering substances

Kevin Bonham
12-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I just call it "hippy-post syndrome" :lol:

Basil
12-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Psycho-sympatico Cringing Disorder (Response)
{PCD or PCR}
{or HPS in Tasmania}

Adamski
10-09-2008, 06:41 AM
What does "cagles' mean - a regular in the shout box?

Spiny Norman
10-09-2008, 08:06 AM
I've always thought it meant: Cheers And Good Luck something something

Basil
10-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Indeed. A gift from the exuberant Justaknight.

CameronD
10-09-2008, 08:37 AM
What does "cagles' mean - a regular in the shout box?

I always thought it was some dribble phrase that gunner created, like HADDAS

ER
12-09-2008, 12:26 AM
codified by Eclectic though! :)

Adamski
16-09-2008, 12:36 PM
codified by Eclectic though! :)Thanks, guys. So putting it all together we may have: "cheers and good luck", says eccles (Lift up your trousers, Neddy!) - with apologies to the Goons.

Adamski
17-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Ok guys & gals,
Now I have worked out CAGLES with Elliott's aid (Cheers And Good Luck, origin Ec, s for plural!!!), someone tell me what Gunner's latest LMFAO! means. (The F is of course unnecessary as per some previous posts in this thread. I thought of Leave Me Alone and Something me Arrogant one! but neither quite works.

It's Friday arvo so please make allowances if I am a bit slow....

Rincewind
17-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Ok guys & gals,
Now I have worked out CAGLES with Elliott's aid (Cheers And Good Luck, origin Ec, s for plural!!!), someone tell me what Gunner's latest LMFAO! means. (The F is of course unnecessary as per some previous posts in this thread. I thought of Leave Me Alone and Something me Arrogant one! but neither quite works.

It's Friday arvo so please make allowances if I am a bit slow....

Laughing My F% A% Off!

Adamski
17-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Laughing My F% A% Off!Ta, RW. Yes, I was a bit slow...Gunnner, it should be added to the newbies list in this thread (in some printable form like RW's).

Basil
17-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Ta, RW. Yes, I was a bit slow...Gunnner, it should be added to the newbies list in this thread (in some printable form like RW's).
A notable omission from Boris' post #5 in this thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=114364&postcount=5).

I will include in the next update sometime this century! Thanks Jon.

Miranda
17-10-2008, 08:12 PM
People these days don't know what LMFAO means?

*sigh* 'tis like we're living in the 1900s again!

Adamski
17-10-2008, 08:14 PM
People these days don't know what LMFAO means?

*sigh* 'tis like we're living in the 1900s again!Gotta make allowances, Miranda. Some of us are over 50. 10 years ago even there was almost no such thing as texting !

Miranda
17-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Haha I know... my mum can't even sent a text although she has a phone with a keyboard!

Old people these days... :P

Basil
21-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Haha I know... my mum can't even sent a text although she has a phone with a keyboard!

Old people these days... :P
And you don't internet access without her ability to buy it and show ID!!! Everyone has their place on the team young lady ;)

Miranda
22-10-2008, 03:12 PM
And you don't internet access without her ability to buy it and show ID!!! Everyone has their place on the team young lady ;)

Ah, but she doesn't buy it!

My dad does :cool:

Basil
22-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Ah, but she doesn't buy it!

My dad does :cool:
Duz he no how2 txt?

Miranda
22-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Duz he no how2 txt?

totally. he, lyk, haz dis awsum fone wit a keyboard!! so he can lyk uz a keyboard 2 text!!11!!

Rincewind
23-10-2008, 11:26 AM
totally. he, lyk, haz dis awsum fone wit a keyboard!! so he can lyk uz a keyboard 2 text!!11!!

Stop my ears are hurting. Plus I think it is only a matter of time before you use the word "versus" as a verb!

Miranda
23-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Stop my ears are hurting. Plus I think it is only a matter of time before you use the word "versus" as a verb!

:hand: tlk 2 tha hand, coz tha face dun wanna listen!

:owned:

Desmond
23-10-2008, 04:39 PM
:hand: tlk 2 tha hand, coz tha face dun wanna listen!

:owned:Is that the best you can do?

7L|< 2 7|-|4 |-|4|\|D, (0Z 7|-|4 Ph4(3 dU|\| \/\/4|\||\|4 L1573|\|!

Miranda
23-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Is that the best you can do?

7L|< 2 7|-|4 |-|4|\|D, (0Z 7|-|4 Ph4(3 dU|\| \/\/4|\||\|4 L1573|\|!

now that's just nerd talk :P

Basil
30-11-2008, 11:44 PM
NTIIAOYBBSNWWA
Not That It Is Any Of Your Business But Still Nothing Wrong With Asking

courtesy macavity

Ian Murray
02-12-2008, 03:31 PM
NTIIAOYBBSNWWA
Not That It Is Any Of Your Business But Still Nothing Wrong With Asking

courtesy macavity

TWIT

Desmond
13-12-2008, 10:05 PM
"slaters" - see you later

PPWPFL
13-12-2008, 10:20 PM
"slaters" - see you later
Oh I thought you were referring to "One employed to lay slate surfaces, as on roofs." How embarrasing:P

Kevin Bonham
13-12-2008, 10:22 PM
I would have thought he was referring to isopods.

Desmond
13-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Oh I thought you were referring to "One employed to lay slate surfaces, as on roofs." How embarrasing:PPresumably if it were one employed for this reason, the singular would be used. ;)

PPWPFL
13-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Presumably if it were one employed for this reason, the singular would be used. ;)
Yeah Yeah...
Slaters Boris!

Rincewind
14-12-2008, 09:51 AM
I would have thought he was referring to isopods.

Don't mention isopods after all the rain we've just had.

Adamski
15-12-2008, 11:54 AM
TWITHow about Totally Witless IPU Troller? (No offence meant to you Ian, I know you "worship" her.)

Rincewind
15-12-2008, 01:09 PM
How about Totally Witless IPU Troller? (No offence meant to you Ian, I know you "worship" her.)

Does that mean we can use TWYT. (Totally Witless Yahweh Troller). :P

Adamski
15-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Yehwah: the dyslexic version of Yahweh?:)

What is TWIT supposed to mean?

Rincewind
15-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Yehwah: the dyslexic version of Yahweh?:)

Corrected thanks. However, that is not the sort of spelling mistake a dyslexic is likely to make.

What is TWIT supposed to mean?

You don't know? That's what I thought. ;)

Adamski
15-12-2008, 01:22 PM
You don't know? That's what I thought. ;)Ta. It wasn't an obvious one.
Just be careful not to get the digits around the wrong way with people's ratings! (Though with mine, the majority of variations of 1555 are still 1555!)

Rincewind
15-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Ta. It wasn't an obvious one.
Just be careful not to get the digits around the wrong way with people's ratings! (Though with mine, the majority of variations of 1555 are still 1555!)

I think you are mistaken. If you consider all the three 5's to be distinct then you have 4! = 24 permutations of which six are 1555 and eighteen are other numbers (see below). If you consider the 5's to be indistinct then the way you would ask it is as follows

Q: you have one numeral of the type "1" and three numerals of type "5" what is the total number of distinct permutations using all four numerals?

A: 4! / (1! x 3!) = 4
which are

In this case, all incorrect permutations would be favourable to you but also so large as to be obviously wrong (being approximately double the next highest rating) :)

Adamski
15-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I stand (well, sit really) corrected, RW. I thought the flippant comment was wrong soon after I posted...Obviously, too long since I studied permutations and combinations!

But I'll happily accept any variation of my rating with the same 4 digits!!

eclectic
15-12-2008, 03:03 PM

In this case, all incorrect permutations would be favourable to you but also so large as to be obviously wrong (being approximately double the next highest rating)

try ICC or Yahoo! Chess

:rolleyes:

;)

Miranda
15-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I have a new thing to add to the CC vocab:

PUWICITM (pink unicorn which is currently invisible to me)

First used by Boris :)

Ian Murray
16-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Better add then:

PBUH peace be unto her
BBHHH blessed be her holy hooves
MHHNBS may her hooves never be shod

- IPU Scriptures

Adamski
16-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Also better add BBHWCITNOTL - Blessed be He who comes in the name of the Lord. i might start to use that.

Adamski
23-12-2008, 06:05 AM
This means "split from" and then names the thread from which this message came.

chesstash
23-12-2008, 06:20 PM
it does?

Adamski
23-12-2008, 08:28 PM
it does?Yep. TTBOMK (To the best of my knowledge)

Redmond Barry
27-03-2009, 03:33 AM
i wish to recommend further bans to the words

- juxtapose (a minor pinnacle of florid language)
- bete noire (its french, so go figure. plus anathema is perfectly suitable and even anathema has borderline suitability to almost all conversation.)
- remiss (some of the most convoluted and superfluous conversations ive been witness to have involved sub standard individuals using this "traitor to the kings english".)
- lament (musicians like to use this word repeatedly. musicians who usually have no talent. the first 4 letters are also a major hint as to its worthiness.)
- nomenclature (when used by people outside of technical fields. its like watching a car crash when in the possession of the uninitiated.)

its not that ive read them on this site often. i just recommend that steering clear of conversations involving these words is advantageous.
especially if these words are those that only come up in conversation with your best buddys at mensa.

congratulations for banning paradigm. sensible decision that one.

inner peace is the reward. i am the light. hoot hoot. ;) ;)

Redmond Barry
27-03-2009, 06:49 AM
i saw 2 bumper stickers on a ford ute the other day and feel obliged to make an addition to the list of acronyms.

i.y.d.l.i.l. - if you dont love it leave. (something jingoistic for the palette)

f.o.w.f. - expletitive off were full (more pauline support)

im not sure these would be suitable for website usage.

i was just bringing attention to what kind of patriotic advertising rednecks were indoctrinating the vehicular going public these days.

obviously the ute had obscenely large spotties and the obligatory half dozen bundy rum stickers adorned on it.

and my suburb suddenly shows its class...........

hoot hoot ;) ;)

Basil
27-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Cripes, your first post incriminates more than assists me - and I'm not alone! No, not all your offerings qualify as they are intended for assistance with board specific vernacular, but all amusing nonetheless. Can I say 'nonetheless'? ;)

Redmond Barry
27-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Cripes, your first post incriminates more than assist me - and I'm not alone! No, not all your offerings qualify as they are intended for assistance with board specific vernacular, but all amusing nonetheless. Can I say nonetheless? ;)

oh well, i must follow my dreams. whatever they may be.

(maybe cull my banned words exept bete noire. as long as there are no francophiles on the site this could be workable.)

;) ;)

Saragossa
27-03-2009, 08:59 PM
FTW: For the win!

example: Nah i'm buying a mac FTW!

Props: A compliment.

Example: Person 1: I just bowled a hattrick
Person 2: PROPS to you!

Note: has many spelling variations.

GOI: Get over it
IGOI: I'll get over it.

Kaitlin
29-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I have a new thing to add to the CC vocab:

PUWICITM (pink unicorn which is currently invisible to me)

First used by Boris :)

A few weeks ago when I was in the CBD I saw quite a few people wearing t-shirts with IPU's on them and one with just a pink unicorn on it :P

pappubahry
29-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Is 'vernaular' part of the CC vernacular? ;)

Basil
29-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Is 'vernaular' part of the CC vernacular? ;)
I think you might be the first first person to notice that typo - certainly the first person to bring it to my attention.

Clean up please mods - thank you in advance.

Denis_Jessop
29-03-2009, 08:45 PM
oh well, i must follow my dreams. whatever they may be.

(maybe cull my banned words exept bete noire. as long as there are no francophiles on the site this could be workable.)

;) ;)

There are francophiles everywhere, even (shock horror for Gunner) lefty francophiles. To illustrate - in its full glory bete noire needs a circumflex over the first e :D

DJ

Rincewind
25-04-2009, 07:06 PM
y0VnI1dI7zw

ER
25-04-2009, 09:14 PM
To illustrate - in its full glory bete noire needs a circumflex over the first e :D
BÍte Noire

eclectic
25-04-2009, 09:21 PM
she's got BÍtÍ Davis eyes :rolleyes:

Rincewind
25-04-2009, 11:59 PM
she's got BÍtÍ Davis eyes :rolleyes:

I saw a documentary on BÍtÍ Davis just last week.

Desmond
23-06-2017, 09:54 PM
cannibobsession

A morbid obsession with cannibalism, informing all discussion of race. Known to manifest itself only in a unique individual.

Desmond
28-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Blundersac'd (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18000-TCA-chess-com-Club&p=467008&viewfull=1#post467008), copyright Kevin Bonham.

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2020, 07:14 PM
Incidentally I never have any idea whether the past form of sac is sac'd, saced (which looks like the c should be soft), sacced or sacked.

Surprised I can only find one prior example of "blundersac" on the net, and that at best dubiously in English anyway. I've used the term for some time - usually denoting a blunder that comes with compensation for the material (the compensation may or may not have been the point in the first place).

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2020, 07:33 PM
This is the blundersac in question:

r2q1rk1/1p3ppp/p1nb1B2/3p4/3P2b1/2NB1N2/PP3PPP/R2QR1K1 b - - 0 13

Black to play is temporarily a piece down but has an unpleasant choice between ...Qxf6 Nxd5 going a pawn down, ...gxf6 with a very bad position, and ...Bxf3 Bxh7+ going a pawn down. Instead he plays 13...Bxh2+?? which would actually make matters worse if white saw 14.Nxh2 and black would be two pieces down. However I only saw 14.Kxh2 and furthermore after 14...Qxf6 I immediately counter-blundered with 15.Nxd5?? Qd6+.

Desmond
29-05-2020, 09:53 AM
^ I hate it in these symmetrical type structures when you come out of a long yawn and realise you somehow lost a piece.