PDA

View Full Version : New ACF Secretary

george
05-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi All,

Jey Hoole from the ACT is the new ACF Secretary. I am sure everyone wishes Jey the best of good fortune in this job and I know the ACF will be better off for the good work Jey will do!!

George Howard
President ACF

Alan Shore
05-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Good luck with your duties Jey!

Garvinator
05-03-2004, 05:04 PM
will jey be participating on here from now on?

jammo
14-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Hi All,

Jey Hoole from the ACT is the new ACF Secretary. I am sure everyone wishes Jey the best of good fortune in this job and I know the ACF will be better off for the good work Jey will do!!

George Howard
President ACF

Hi George,

It's great that you have a new Secretary, but just one minor little point.
Can you tell us how and by whom he was appointed?

Thanks,
-Jammo

george
15-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Hi Robert,

I hope this message finds you well. I appointed Jey until the next ACF Council Meeting in April to fill a casual vacancy. As you well know at that meeting the ACF Council then has to formally appoint him as ACF Secretary.

If the ACF Council finds my actions a problem I'm sure I will be told but from the feedback i got from members of Council it seems a good choice.

How is the tennis going Robert!!

George

jammo
15-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Hi Robert,

I hope this message finds you well. I appointed Jey until the next ACF Council Meeting in April to fill a casual vacancy. As you well know at that meeting the ACF Council then has to formally appoint him as ACF Secretary.

If the ACF Council finds my actions a problem I'm sure I will be told but from the feedback i got from members of Council it seems a good choice.

How is the tennis going Robert!!

George

Hi George,

Tennis is going well thanks. We are in the grand final next weekend.
I'm keeping my hand in helping CG with Mt.Buller and that is quite interesting also.

As to the method of appointing a replacement Secretary my understanding is that it is a Council decision (which could presumably easily be done by email these days).

Of course you may have decided that it was "a matter of urgency" and used your power as Pres "To make decisions on matters of urgency that arise between Council meetings, after consultation with as many Councillors as is reasonable in the circumstances."

In a perfect world I guess we would call for nominations; specify a deadline; and after the close of the deadline the body given authority to fill casual vacancies would make a selection. In an imperfect world the first person to apply would be grabbed and "appointed" immediately. Unfortunately this later process means that a better qualified applicant who is tardy in applying may miss out. My point of course is purely theoretical as there is hardly a big queue of people wanting to run the ACF.

If you have any spare competent Secretaries can you please send one to CV as I think we are in a similar boat to the ACF with late (or no) minutes and few meetings called.

Anyway, I hope the new Secretary works well for you.

Best Wishes,
-Jammo

shaun
19-03-2004, 02:23 PM
In a perfect world I guess we would call for nominations; specify a deadline; and after the close of the deadline the body given authority to fill casual vacancies would make a selection. In an imperfect world the first person to apply would be grabbed and "appointed" immediately. Unfortunately this later process means that a better qualified applicant who is tardy in applying may miss out. My point of course is purely theoretical as there is hardly a big queue of people wanting to run the ACF.

-Jammo

I can attest to this being a problem. A number of years ago I wished to apply for the role of Junior Selection Co-ordinator, and contacted Jammo ,who was the contact person for the position. He wasn't home and I left a message on his answering machine. Apparently the machine was faulty, he never recieved the message, and I was never considered for the post. I think it turned out that CG was the succesful candidate.

jammo
19-03-2004, 05:54 PM
I can attest to this being a problem. A number of years ago I wished to apply for the role of Junior Selection Co-ordinator, and contacted Jammo ,who was the contact person for the position. He wasn't home and I left a message on his answering machine. Apparently the machine was faulty, he never recieved the message, and I was never considered for the post. I think it turned out that CG was the succesful candidate.

Hi Shaun,

An interesting example, but it seems to me in that instance the fault was yours, not the process used by the ACF. If someone is applying for a position it is probably a good idea that they confirm that their application has been received, and if they want to be selected presumably they would follow up with a CV in case there were other worthy applicants.

-Jammo

shaun
19-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi Shaun,

An interesting example, but it seems to me in that instance the fault was yours, not the process used by the ACF. If someone is applying for a position it is probably a good idea that they confirm that their application has been received, and if they want to be selected presumably they would follow up with a CV in case there were other worthy applicants.

-Jammo

Yes you are right, although this was a "first in, best dressed" vacancy if my memory is correct. My mistake was to assume that a recorded message would be enough, and to trust the quality of 20th century answering machine technology. Indeed when I mentioned my application to Robert Shankly (ACF secretary at time) he did remark that your answering machine would occasionaly lose messages. A lesson well learnt, at least for me!

peanbrain
19-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Indeed when I mentioned my application to Robert Shankly (ACF secretary at time) he did remark that your answering machine would occasionaly lose messages. A lesson well learnt, at least for me!

selective listening perhaps? :hmm:
I wonder if George's answering machine is any better?? ;)

george
24-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi all,

Yes it is! Call me on 0414841575 and unless I'm in a meeting i will answer personally.

Or email me on georgeshoward@hotmail.com and I WILL answer you ASAP.

George Howard