PDA

View Full Version : Anastasia Sorokina will play in Dresden 2006

Leonid Sandler
05-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Press release
Melbourne,July 5th ,2006

Today womens number one in Australian rating list WIM Anastasia Sorokina left Melbourne to participate in Women Chess Cup 2006 (on the occasion of Footbal World Cup) in Dresden.
As you aware next Chess Olympiad will be held in Dresden and to mark this occasion City of Dresden,Organising Commitee of the Chess Olympiad 2008 and German Chess Federation are sponsoring Women Chess Cup 2006.The format of the competition is similar with Footbal World Cup,one player is invited from each country which has qualified for the Footbal World Cup.There are 8 preliminary groups with 4 players in each group( like in Footbal World Cup). Group round robin tournaments will be played to determine top two participants from each group why will qualify in the round of 16.After knock out system will be used.Time control -each player will get 25 minutes plus 10 seconds per move.If country will not be able to send representative organisers will include german players instead.Tournament will kick off on Friday July 7th and will finishes next day, Saturday July 8th.
There is a very substantial prize fund of 15000 euros.Winner of the event will get 5000 euros (app. AUD 8750) plus Gold Cup,second place -3000 euros plus Silver Cup,third place-2000 euros plus Bronze Cup,fourth prize 1000 euros,5-8th -500 euros each and 9-16th- 250 euros each.The tournament will be held in big Shopping centre called Karstadt Dresden.
Anastasia will play in group F which comprises Vlasta Macek( Elo 2243Croatia), Suzana Cheng (Elo 2091,Brasil) and instead of japanise player one of the german substitutes will be used.I believe that Anastasia has a very good chances to qualify from her group.Of course chess in Brasil is not as popular as Footbal and hopefully Anastasia will take revenge for Socceroos loss to Brasil.In the round of 16 two top scorers from group F will play against two top scorers from group E ,which comprises top seed of the event Z.Polgar(USA) well known to our chess public Elena Sedina from Italy,Jana Jackova (Elo 2389) from Czech Republic and German replacement of Ghana player young and very talented Elena Winkelmann.I dare to predict that Anastasia might play against Sedina.I hope that referee wont award penalty kick in the last minute...
Some other notable names in the tournament includes Elizabeth Pathz and Ketino Kachiani-Gershinska both from Germany,Pia Cramling from Sweden,Olympic champion Anna Ushenina from Ukraine,Alice Maric from Serbia,Peng from Holland,Harriet Hunt from England.
Event will be widely covered in German TV and may be one day Real Madrid or Manchester United football clubs will sponsor chess tournaments or even World Chess Championship.Weekly wage of let say Zidane will do the trick.
Lets cross fingers for our representative Anastasia Sorokina.

Leonid Sandler,
Captain of Womens Chess Olympic Team 2004,2006

D Dragicevic
09-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Press release
Melbourne,July 5th ,2006

Today womens number one in Australian rating list WIM Anastasia Sorokina left Melbourne to participate in Women Chess Cup 2006 (on the occasion of Footbal World Cup) in Dresden.
As you aware next Chess Olympiad will be held in Dresden and to mark this occasion City of Dresden,Organising Commitee of the Chess Olympiad 2008 and German Chess Federation are sponsoring Women Chess Cup 2006.The format of the competition is similar with Footbal World Cup,one player is invited from each country which has qualified for the Footbal World Cup.There are 8 preliminary groups with 4 players in each group( like in Footbal World Cup). Group round robin tournaments will be played to determine top two participants from each group why will qualify in the round of 16.After knock out system will be used.Time control -each player will get 25 minutes plus 10 seconds per move.If country will not be able to send representative organisers will include german players instead.Tournament will kick off on Friday July 7th and will finishes next day, Saturday July 8th.
There is a very substantial prize fund of 15000 euros.Winner of the event will get 5000 euros (app. AUD 8750) plus Gold Cup,second place -3000 euros plus Silver Cup,third place-2000 euros plus Bronze Cup,fourth prize 1000 euros,5-8th -500 euros each and 9-16th- 250 euros each.The tournament will be held in big Shopping centre called Karstadt Dresden.
Anastasia will play in group F which comprises Vlasta Macek( Elo 2243Croatia), Suzana Cheng (Elo 2091,Brasil) and instead of japanise player one of the german substitutes will be used.I believe that Anastasia has a very good chances to qualify from her group.Of course chess in Brasil is not as popular as Footbal and hopefully Anastasia will take revenge for Socceroos loss to Brasil.In the round of 16 two top scorers from group F will play against two top scorers from group E ,which comprises top seed of the event Z.Polgar(USA) well known to our chess public Elena Sedina from Italy,Jana Jackova (Elo 2389) from Czech Republic and German replacement of Ghana player young and very talented Elena Winkelmann.I dare to predict that Anastasia might play against Sedina.I hope that referee wont award penalty kick in the last minute...
Some other notable names in the tournament includes Elizabeth Pathz and Ketino Kachiani-Gershinska both from Germany,Pia Cramling from Sweden,Olympic champion Anna Ushenina from Ukraine,Alice Maric from Serbia,Peng from Holland,Harriet Hunt from England.
Event will be widely covered in German TV and may be one day Real Madrid or Manchester United football clubs will sponsor chess tournaments or even World Chess Championship.Weekly wage of let say Zidane will do the trick.
Lets cross fingers for our representative Anastasia Sorokina.

Leonid Sandler,
Captain of Womens Chess Olympic Team 2004,2006

how did anastasia go in the tournament... i tried looking for the tournament, but can't seem to find it, i'll keep looking though... i hope she did well...

Garvinator
11-07-2006, 11:27 AM
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3228