PDA

View Full Version : australian chess and sex

chesslover
04-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Our Sydney media has been going overboard the whole of this week with the gang rape allegation made against the Sydney Bulldogs Rugby League team. This has dominated coverage in the daily tele, radio, league magazines, current affairs and news.

Wendy Harmer, a passionate Manly Rugby League team supporter however rightly stated that there should be a distinction between consensual sex and non consensual sex. Many opinion makers in the newsprint also have stated that many sport stars, not just Rugby League stars, have a lot of female groupies following them, and that they are given a lot of opportunity to partake in sex by the general female public consensually. Indeed reading the US papers, it seems that the basketball and football players there are no different to the league players here when it comes to the sexual opportunities available to their stars. This is the same when it comes to Soccer stars in the Uk and Europe and our very own Aussie cricketers when we toured the West Indies. Even in AFL, as aptly shown in the Wayne Carey and Ablett case, the "made in Australia" code is also not immune to the fact that sportstars are followed by groupies and that they are given a lot of sexual opportunities.

But what about Australian chess? Where are the chess groupies, that follow Australian chess players like they follow the league players? League is a 100% male sport, unlike chess - yet League players get infinitely more sex than AUstralian chess players. Is it because we are too ugly? But then a lot of the League players have faces that only their mothers would love. Is it because we are nerds? is it because chess is not a "famous" sport, and saying you slept with a GM/IM is just not the same as saying you slept with a Sydney Bulldog player?

And if that is the case in Australia, what about overseas chess scene? in countries where chess is more popular and more mainstream, do the chess players there have groupies following them?

PHAT
04-03-2004, 10:31 PM
But what about Australian chess? Where are the chess groupies, that follow Australian chess players like they follow the league players?

Maybe they are scared away by the gropies.

Alan Shore
04-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Hey, speak for yourself.. I've had chess groupies before, and I know a few others who have too :P

JGB
04-03-2004, 10:55 PM
And if that is the case in Australia, what about overseas chess scene? in countries where chess is more popular and more mainstream, do the chess players there have groupies following them?

Groupies??? Thats going a bit far and I doubt will ever happen in chess, but here In Germany I must say the average Gm is not the best looking speciman, but in and around the tournament scene these guys are doing pretty well with the women.

...but heres the main difference; the average GM aint on the lookout for a hot groupie for a night of 'action'! So the chess 'groupie' will never been a very popular pastime.

chesslover
04-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Groupies??? Thats going a bit far and I doubt will ever happen in chess, but here In Germany I must say the average Gm is not the best looking speciman, but in and around the tournament scene these guys are doing pretty well with the women.

...but heres the main difference; the average GM aint on the lookout for a hot groupie for a night of 'action'! So the chess 'groupie' will never been a very popular pastime.

you mean that in Germany there are chess groupies?? :confused: Just like there are League groupies in NSW for our League players?

or is that being a chess GM makes that person more desirable for a German female, just like being a league player makes them more attractive to a female here?

And the average German GM would rather play chess, than go out with a german female who is interested in him just because he is a chess star?

JGB
04-03-2004, 11:13 PM
you mean that in Germany there are chess groupies?? :confused: Just like there are League groupies in NSW for our League players?

or is that being a chess GM makes that person more desirable for a German female, just like being a league player makes them more attractive to a female here?

And the average German GM would rather play chess, than go out with a german female who is interested in him just because he is a chess star?

Groupies ? Not like for the football stars, but yeah there are always women willing to follow these guys out after a tournament to a bar or whatever.This is a key bonus for the Russians! Back home they say 'Im a chess Player' a women will run a way (who a9n back there, and who lives good of chess in Russia???!) But here in Germany it has a certain cling to it 'proffy chess player'

Dunno why it is, I aint no Groupie!

Yeah, the average GM would rather play chess than go to bed with a groupie. I must say im the same! :) honestly!

Trent Parker
04-03-2004, 11:23 PM
but yeah there are always women willing to follow these guys out after a tournament to a bar or whatever.
'sigh' wouln't that be nice. :evil: :lol: :silenced:

chesslover
04-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Yeah, the average GM would rather play chess than go to bed with a groupie. I must say im the same! :) honestly!

Is that more a reflection on the german women, or on the German GM who thinks that chess is better than sex? :p

Cat
04-03-2004, 11:46 PM
I think this is missing the point somewhat and is perhaps a little insensitive. The issue goes to the very heart of sporting culture not just in Australia but world-wide. Whether consensual or not, what happened has had seriously bad outcomes.

What happens when a young lad who happens to be pretty good at some sport and is given license to behave in any way he wishes? In fact is encouraged to act in ways which would be condemned in any other walk of life. Given huge amounts of money, taken out of the immediate influence of his family and community and provided with ageing, immature gorillas for role models.

What happened to Mark Bosnic, Robbie Fowler and numerous other premiere league youngsters? Kids with no life experiences and no limits and who are themselves role models for the next generation. It's a mess quite frankly, too much money, too little responsibility.

There was outrage in the UK when one premiere league soccer player visiting a poor country was confronted with a mother begging with babe in arms. He took a $20 note out of his wallet and holding it up, set light to it in front of the beggar-woman.

biggles
05-03-2004, 08:15 AM
If I had a choice between an hour of sex or an hour of chess I would take the chess any day.

biggles

Garvinator
05-03-2004, 08:50 AM
you guys are freaks then, absolute freaks :lol: :lol:

arosar
05-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Is it because we are too ugly? But then a lot of the League players have faces that only their mothers would love. Is it because we are nerds? is it because chess is not a "famous" sport, and saying you slept with a GM/IM is just not the same as saying you slept with a Sydney Bulldog player?

WTF!! Ugly? Nerds? Speak for yourself mate - f**ken hell. How many times I gotta bloody tell youse blokes? Get into the mindset of a loser - and you're definitely a loser.

Anyways this is all a bit sexist. Why must it always be about the fellas? How's about them chick chessplayers? Seen some of 'em? Mate, check some of these sheilas out.

Vera Papadopoulou
Sophie Milliet
Regina Pokorna
Bosboom-Lanchava
Zehra Topel

I wouldn't mind being a groupie for one of 'em lemme tell ya.

AR

Garvinator
05-03-2004, 09:30 AM
WTF!! Ugly? Nerds? Speak for yourself mate - f**ken hell. How many times I gotta bloody tell youse blokes? Get into the mindset of a loser - and you're definitely a loser.

Anyways this is all a bit sexist. Why must it always be about the fellas? How's about them chick chessplayers? Seen some of 'em? Mate, check some of these sheilas out.

Vera Papadopoulou
Sophie Milliet
Regina Pokorna
Bosboom-Lanchava
Zehra Topel

AR
yes arosar, good point about being a male groupie :lol: . But im sure you could look closer to home in acf and find some good looking girls in our scene. I can think of three already off the top of my head and i dont know many girls at the top end of australian chess. But one of them I would not want to groupie with :eek:

chesslover
07-03-2004, 04:40 PM
The issue goes to the very heart of sporting culture not just in Australia but world-wide. Whether consensual or not, what happened has had seriously bad outcomes.

What happens when a young lad who happens to be pretty good at some sport and is given license to behave in any way he wishes? In fact is encouraged to act in ways which would be condemned in any other walk of life. Given huge amounts of money, taken out of the immediate influence of his family and community and provided with ageing, immature gorillas for role models.

I think you have stated the reason why Australian chess is different to other mainstream sports such as League, Soccer etc when it comes to sex.

The reason is money. An Australian chess player, no matter if they are a GM and the greatest player in Australian history, will never get the same money that League stars and Soccer stars get paid. This is because chess just does not have the mainstream appeal that League, Aussie Rules, Soccer (overseas) has which means there is no sponsors/media interest, which means of course that chess is not a lucrative sport.

The absense of obscene amounts of money probably keeps the elite chess player "well grounded" and in touch with reality, which means that they not behave in a depraved and debauched manner sexually

chesslover
07-03-2004, 04:44 PM
yes arosar, good point about being a male groupie :lol: . But im sure you could look closer to home in acf and find some good looking girls in our scene. I can think of three already off the top of my head and i dont know many girls at the top end of australian chess. But one of them I would not want to groupie with :eek:
The fact is that female sports, such as netball, female cricket, female soccer, female swimming etc do not have a male groupie scene.This is in contrast to the male sports - such as League, cricket, Aussie Rules etc

The reason why there are no male groupies for female stars, to the same extent that there are female groupies for male sports stars is based on our evolutionary past. Males are genetically as a general rule, programmed to sleep with as many females as possible as part of the genetic code to ensure the survival of the human species

PHAT
07-03-2004, 05:02 PM
I can think of three already off the top of my head and i dont know many girls at the top end of australian chess. But one of them I would not want to groupie with :eek:

Be careful mate. The sisters might acuse you of branding all the others as bushpigs. wwwwwwww, big trub.

Alan Shore
07-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Perhaps someone could organise a special event, or run it in a magazine article: "Chess's most eligible bachelors and bachelorettes" :cool:

chesslover
07-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Perhaps someone could organise a special event, or run it in a magazine article: "Chess's most eligible bachelors and bachelorettes" :cool:

or what about a naked calender of chess players - male and females? :eek:

Other sports like League have done it.

Any volunteers? we only need 12 - one for each month of the year

Alan Shore
07-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Hehe, calendar, great idea! How many of you would buy one you reckon? For calendar auditions, send a photo and a brief summary of your chess achievements, hehe.

chesslover
07-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Hehe, calendar, great idea! How many of you would buy one you reckon? For calendar auditions, send a photo and a brief summary of your chess achievements, hehe.

well it is not as silly as it seems

you only need 12 people to agree to pose naked

and people buy all sorts of things - I for one will buy a naked calender of matt just for the amusement value :lol: :lol:

remember people buy magazines of pregnant women, S&m etc etc - so the naked calender does not need to be of good looking chess players

Trent Parker
08-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Vera Papadopoulou
Sophie Milliet
Regina Pokorna
Bosboom-Lanchava
Zehra Topel

AR
Never heard of them.
Found Regina and Zehra on chessbase. What about the others.

arosar
08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Never heard of them.
Found Regina and Zehra on chessbase. What about the others.

Mate, if you can't bloody find 'em with CB - there's no hope for ya. Try harder.

AR

Rincewind
08-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Mate, if you can't bloody find 'em with CB - there's no hope for ya. Try harder.

Do or do not. There is no 'try'. ;)

Duff McKagan
09-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Haha, this whole thread could indicate the reason why there are no groupies :) The money theory probably has a bearing, but consider what is a groupie and what does a groupie want? Until chess is more prestigious in Australia, I doubt whether the current situation will change. Personally I don't care, why let some groupie take part in your glory or status? M.O.B.

chesslover
09-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Haha, this whole thread could indicate the reason why there are no groupies :) The money theory probably has a bearing, but consider what is a groupie and what does a groupie want? Until chess is more prestigious in Australia, I doubt whether the current situation will change. Personally I don't care, why let some groupie take part in your glory or status? M.O.B.
in some sports, groupies are a perk of the job. This is true for music groups as well

I agree that whilst money has a lot to do with it, the other factor is not prestige but FAME

The reason that there are groupies is that they want to have sex with someone famous. It is irrlevent if it is a music group, tv anchormen, politicans or sport stars.

If chess is famous, then we will have groupies, as night follows day

Duff McKagan
09-03-2004, 07:13 PM
chesslover wrote: "in some sports, groupies are a perk of the job."

If you say so. They could also just be annoying cling-ons who need to be swatted away.

chesslover
09-03-2004, 08:27 PM
chesslover wrote: "in some sports, groupies are a perk of the job."

If you say so. They could also just be annoying cling-ons who need to be swatted away.

well obviously not for people like magic Johnson, WiltChamberlin and rock bands like Gun "n" Roses. They can be annoying but they can also be enjoyable

Garvinator
09-03-2004, 08:37 PM
well obviously not for people like magic Johnson, WiltChamberlin and rock bands like Gun "n" Roses. They can be annoying but they can also be enjoyable
im sure kobe bryant agrees with you right now :p ;)

chesslover
09-03-2004, 08:52 PM
im sure kobe bryant agrees with you right now :p ;)

but there is a difference between consensual sex and non sensensual sex

That is true in non sport life, as in sport life. As long as it is consensual there is nothing wrong with people having sex.

But where it is non consensual, it is wrong and it is rape. That is true in sports as in general life

samspade
13-03-2004, 04:39 PM
The reason why there are no male groupies for female stars, to the same extent that there are female groupies for male sports stars is based on our evolutionary past. Males are genetically as a general rule, programmed to sleep with as many females as possible as part of the genetic code to ensure the survival of the human species
Doesn't sound very christian to me CL!

Trent Parker
13-03-2004, 05:08 PM
or what about a naked calender of chess players - male and females? :eek:

Other sports like League have done it.

Any volunteers? we only need 12 - one for each month of the year

:hmm: me in a nude calendar??

Uurghhh :eek: :sick: :oops: too late i've already thrown up!!! :lol: :owned:

samspade
13-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Do or do not. There is no 'try'. ;)
Is that a quote from bloody Yoda?:eh: :confused:

samspade
13-03-2004, 10:10 PM
:hmm: me in a nude calendar??

Uurghhh :eek: :sick: :oops: too late i've already thrown up!!! :lol: :owned:Thanks very much trent. We've already had the mention of matthew sweeney naked-not a nice thought, and now this... :eek: :eek: :eek:

samspade
13-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Well I've heard that one Australian IM said he thought a chess calendar was a great idea. Apparently he wanted to be in it. I personally think it'd be a great idea-draw some attention to chess.

Garvinator
13-03-2004, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't mind being in one myself-but I'd have to do a helluva lot of exercise beforehand to be in any sort of shape:doh:
ill spend money on chess buying the female calendar version ;)

Rincewind
13-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Is that a quote from bloody Yoda?:eh: :confused:

Yeah, well sorta. Ask AR, he will know the reference. I'm more of a Qui-Gon Jinn man myself...

Don't centre on your anxiety, Sam. Keep your concentration here and now where it belongs.

;)

PHAT
13-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Well I've heard that one Australian IM said he thought a chess calendar was a great idea. Apparently he wanted to be in it. I personally think it'd be a great idea-draw some attention to chess.

I reckon it would be John-Paul Wallace - at the peak of his blokeness. Of course a good artist/photographer can make even ordinary blokes and femmes looking like gods. I was suggesting a nude calender two years ago, but noone in chess admin was interested. But only FWs would pass up the idea as stupid.

Garvinator
13-03-2004, 11:32 PM
and femmes looking like gods. just dont call em bushpigs :p

Brian_Jones
14-03-2004, 11:51 AM
For Sale. American Women's Chess Olympiad "Dream Team" Calendar 2004-2005.
A$20 including postage from ACE. Limited stocks so call 02-9838-1529 without delay.

PHAT
14-03-2004, 02:24 PM
http://www.blushphotography.com.au/index.html

Is this OK? Not tooooo juicy. Could the ACF invest $1k plus printing (~$1000)? Sell 50 at $40 and break even. Sell more and it is all profit.

Of course, a couple of raunchy shots would get it on A Current Affair and you will sell thousands (= $10-20k) But what would I know.

chesslover
14-03-2004, 05:04 PM

Is this OK? Not tooooo juicy. Could the ACF invest $1k plus printing (~$1000)? Sell 50 at $40 and break even. Sell more and it is all profit.

Of course, a couple of raunchy shots would get it on A Current Affair and you will sell thousands (= $10-20k) But what would I know.
what we need is 12 people to voluteer, males and females, for a naked chess calender

then you need people to say that is all sick, or the people are too ugly and whip up controversy

then the whole thing will be in current affairs and the money problems of australian chess will be solved

and what is ugly to one person is beauitful for another person. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

PHAT
14-03-2004, 05:25 PM
I voluteer!! I baggs being the fat hairy beast with a leather mask and a packet of wooden clothes pegs.

BroadZ
14-03-2004, 06:39 PM
i think were all missin the point that chess aint exactly the coolest sport round - if im in ballarat/canberra or wherever i go for a tournament, when i find myself tryin to chat someone up who isnt parta the chess scene i immediately think of a different reason why im there, sayin "im here to play chess" is for me probably the worst thing i could say next to "dam, that dress makes you look f.a.t"
i think most chicks would like to say to their friends "yeh, i hang round Matty Loyd n James Hird, and theyve f*cked me bfore!" as opposed to sayin "yeh, i hang round all these chess guys youve probably neva heard bout and sleep with em every now n then" whadya reckon their friends are gonna say? footy "omg youve been with loyd n hird? im sooo jealous" chess "yeh.....interestin"
chess can sometimes be an underground sport, especially with us younger ones, i for one have told noone that i play, even tho a good portion of my life is put towards it, there are a few chess groupies out there, tho i can only think of 2 or 3 off the top of my head - itll never be like footy,rugby or cricket

BroadZ
14-03-2004, 06:41 PM
btw id volunteer anyday to be in ona those calendars

Kerry Stead
14-03-2004, 07:29 PM
btw id volunteer anyday to be in ona those calendars

Like you need a reason to take your shirt off BroadZ! ;) :hand:

chesslover
15-03-2004, 09:32 PM
i think were all missin the point that chess aint exactly the coolest sport round - if im in ballarat/canberra or wherever i go for a tournament, when i find myself tryin to chat someone up who isnt parta the chess scene i immediately think of a different reason why im there, sayin "im here to play chess" is for me probably the worst thing i could say next to "dam, that dress makes you look f.a.t"
i think most chicks would like to say to their friends "yeh, i hang round Matty Loyd n James Hird, and theyve f*cked me bfore!" as opposed to sayin "yeh, i hang round all these chess guys youve probably neva heard bout and sleep with em every now n then" whadya reckon their friends are gonna say? footy "omg youve been with loyd n hird? im sooo jealous" chess "yeh.....interestin"
chess can sometimes be an underground sport, especially with us younger ones, i for one have told noone that i play, even tho a good portion of my life is put towards it, there are a few chess groupies out there, tho i can only think of 2 or 3 off the top of my head - itll never be like footy,rugby or cricket

Yes. The reason there are groupies is also becasue of the fame factor

There were lot of groupies in the F1 race in melbourne and to say that you slept with a F1 star gives you instant social status. Same with if you slept with Andrew Johns, Gorden Tallis, Brad Fittler for people will think WOW

But say you slept with a chess IM or GM and no one would care and worse think you have no taste

That is because chess is not famous not because we are ugly. A lot of ugly footballers and tv starts and music stars have groupirs because they are famous. Even old Sean Connery and Tom Jones and Mick jagger and Iglesias have lots of groupies in their old age because they are famous

PHAT
15-03-2004, 09:50 PM
But say you slept with a chess IM or GM and no one would care and worse think you have no taste

Tens of millions of Indian women want to have Vishi Anand's babies.

Cat
15-03-2004, 10:48 PM

I looked into it once. To get proper distribution through a major retail outlet, you'd need quality production. These kind of publishers are looking at quantity, so you're upfront costs would be around $15-20 000. The return would be made only on successful sales after the retailer had taken his commission. I wouldn't waste your time, Matt.

arosar
16-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Any1 of youse fellas know anything about whisky - scotch, in particular?

AR

Kerry Stead
16-03-2004, 03:04 PM
I looked into it once. To get proper distribution through a major retail outlet, you'd need quality production. These kind of publishers are looking at quantity, so you're upfront costs would be around $15-20 000. The return would be made only on successful sales after the retailer had taken his commission. I wouldn't waste your time, Matt.

Re-read what Matt said again David ... he was only looking to sell around 50 or a little more - hardly the kind of figures that would justify 'proper distribution through a major retail outlet'.
I suppose the idea has some merit, but are there really 50 people out there who would buy such a thing (and sufficient chess players to be Mr/Miss/Mrs January/February/etc)?

PHAT
16-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Re-read what Matt said again David ... he was only looking to sell around 50 or a little more - hardly the kind of figures that would justify 'proper distribution through a major retail outlet'.
I suppose the idea has some merit, but are there really 50 people out there who would buy such a thing (and sufficient chess players to be Mr/Miss/Mrs January/February/etc)?

Idea:

People like arosar take pics and I reckon "we" could simply assemble the best pics of 2004 and put them together SOHO style in a calender for 2005.

ACF Bulletin asks for contributers. ACF flogs them through its state organs.

WANTED: Person with Photoshop to collect photos and insert them into a chess calender for 2005.

arosar
16-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Well whaddya know? I take lotsa chess pics and I happen to have photoshop.

AR

samspade
17-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Well whaddya know? I take lotsa chess pics and I happen to have photoshop.

AR
Well it looks like there aren't too many excuses left-you just need to find some volunteers

Garvinator
17-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Well it looks like there aren't too many excuses left-you just need to find some volunteers
but we know that arosar isnt too keen on helping out with admin duties :whistle:

arosar
17-03-2004, 12:35 PM
I hate volunteer work. I expect to get paid. Besides, I can't bloody work with 'em ACF mob.

AR

samspade
24-03-2004, 10:24 AM
but we know that arosar isnt too keen on helping out with admin duties :whistle:
I meant volunteers for the calendar-presumably Arosar would be prepared to do the photoshop stuff as he was the one who brought it up