PDA

View Full Version : Qld Open 2006 - Games for a Champion

Arrogant-One
20-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Okay everyone.

Its time for me to impress you with the few games I won at the Qld Open 2006. As many of you will recall I was working about 50 hours per week but still managed to play this event. As such my mental prowess was diminished, but its all good because I put up a good effort.

Obviously, I can play tremendously better than this, but Grandmaster theatre must begin - so hurry and take your seats!

White: [Alex]
Elo/FIDE: 1703

Black: MacIntyre, B (from Toowomba)
Elo/FIDE: 1450 (approx)

1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Bf5 5. Ng3 Bg6 6. Nf3 Nd7 7. Bd3 Bxd3 8. Qxd3 Qc7 9. O-O e6 10. Re1 Be7 11. c4 Ngf6 12. a3 O-O 13. Be3 Rad8 14. h3 c5 15. Qc2 cxd4 16. Bxd4 Rc8 17. Rac1 b5 18. b3 Bxa3

And we have reached the following position:

2r2rk1/2qn1ppp/p3pn2/1p6/2PB4/bP3NNP/2Q2PP1/2R1R1K1 b KQkq - 0 30

As we can see white has squandered his initiative and gotten into an unhappy position where he is clearly losing. But losing the position and losing your head are two different things entirely.

At this point of the game I asked myself, "why did I bother getting up this morning?". Then I continued playing:

19. Ra1 Bc5
20. cxb5 Bxd4
21. Qxc7 Bxf2+
22. Kxf2 Rxc7
23. Nd4 Rb8
24. Nc6 Rxb5
25. Nxa7 Rxb3
26. Rec1 Rxc1
27. Rxc1 g6

Okay, well now we have reached this cracker of a position.

6k1/N2n1p1p/4pnp1/8/8/1r4NP/5KP1/2R5 b KQkq - 0 49
Down two pawns most mortals would be just happy to draw this game. However, the immortal words of that Great Philosopher Ice Tea came to my mind.

"When its sink or swim you have to think to win!"

And so play continued:

28. Nc8 Nd5
29. Nd6 Ne5
30. Rc8+ Kg7
31. Nge4 Rb2+
32. Kg1 Ne3
33. Rc7 Rxg2+

So we have reached the following position -

8/2R2pkp/3Np1p1/4n3/4N3/4n2P/6r1/7K w KQkq - 0 63

Notice the trap here. If Black tries to build a mating net with Nf3 threatening nastiness on h2 with a back rank checkmate to soon follow, then Black has a counter-punch with R xf7+ and then hacking off Mr Knight. But alas, this 1400 wouldn't bite.

So play continued -

34. Kh1 Rc2
35. Rd7 Nd5
36. Ra7 Rc7

8/R1r2pkp/3Np1p1/3nn3/4N3/7P/8/7K w KQkq - 0 68

The immortal question "Do you see what I see?"

After I collected the free rook my opponent went into a deep think for about half an hour. I could only imagine his torment. But alas, I too have suffered the same fate on occasion.

Play continued

37. Ne8+ Kh6
38. Nxc7 Nc6
39. Ra6 Ncb4
40. Ra4 Nxc7
41. Rxb4 Nd5
42. Rb3 f5
43. Nd6 e5
44. Nf7+

And the poor sap resigned at this point in the following position -

8/5N1p/6pk/3npp2/8/1R5P/8/7K w KQkq - 0 85

We then went to Maccas where I offered to buy the poor fellow a Big Mac but he declined my offer.

And there ends today's episode of Grandmaster Theatre. We hope to see you again tomorrow for a new episode!

four four two
20-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Okay everyone.

Its time for me to impress you with the few games I won at the Qld Open 2006. As many of you will recall I was working about 50 hours per week but still managed to play this event. As such my mental prowess was diminished, but its all good because I put up a good effort.

Obviously, I can play tremendously better than this, but Grandmaster theatre must begin - so hurry and take your seats!

We then went to Maccas where I offered to buy the poor fellow a Big Mac but he declined my offer.

And there ends today's episode of Grandmaster Theatre. We hope to see you again tomorrow for a new episode!

Belthasar,this thread is too good to resist...;) :whistle:

Where do I begin?...

This thread is titled "Games for a champion"...as opposed to games by a champion...to which champion do you refer?:hmm:

If you can play "tremendously better" than this,why didnt you start a thread called "Arrogant-One's greatest hits"?:hmm:
At least then you could show some wins against players higher rated than you.:rolleyes:

Its generally considered poor etiquette to show games where you beat up someone over 200 points below you. Have you considered that your post could be embarrassing for B. MacIntyre?:hmm:

I dont know you that well Alex,so its hard to know whether you are taking the mickey with this thread,or whether your tone is genuine.
Hopefully its the former rather than the latter.

Arrogant-One
20-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Belthasar,this thread is too good to resist...;) :whistle:

Where do I begin?...

This thread is titled "Games for a champion"...as opposed to games by a champion...to which champion do you refer?:hmm:

If you can play "tremendously better" than this,why didnt you start a thread called "Arrogant-One's greatest hits"?:hmm:
At least then you could show some wins against players higher rated than you.:rolleyes:

Its generally considered poor etiquette to show games where you beat up someone over 200 points below you. Have you considered that your post could be embarrassing for B. MacIntyre?:hmm:

I dont know you that well Alex,so its hard to know whether you are taking the mickey with this thread,or whether your tone is genuine.
Hopefully its the former rather than the latter.

442, Thank you for your feedback.

We here at Grandmaster Theatre are always trying to improve our customer service and as such we appreciate feedback from our loyal members.

As such we are offering you two free passes to future episodes.

In answer to your queries we state as follows:

We would have liked to change the name of the thread but it was too late once the thread was posted.

As for the rating difference, B MacIntyre and myself are now rated within 100 points of each other.

It is doubtful that Mr B. MacIntyre would be embarrassed by this game, as I was the one who was outplayed in this game. Mr B MacIntyre is a fine sportsman and athelete.

We trust we have answered your queries to your satisfaction.

Lucena
20-06-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure why you went to the trouble of posting that game, Alex - couldn't you have just saved some bandwidth by simply telling us "I got a dead lost position and then he blundered a rook"?

Arrogant-One
21-06-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure why you went to the trouble of posting that game, Alex - couldn't you have just saved some bandwidth by simply telling us "I got a dead lost position and then he blundered a rook"?

Perhaps! But some people enjoy Grandmaster Theatre Gareth.