PDA

View Full Version : Australian Chess magazine

Brian_Jones
03-03-2004, 08:32 AM
The March/April 2004 issue of Australian Chess magazine is now available and was posted to subscribers yesterday. Cover is grey with Adelaide pictures.
Will be on sale at Ballarat this weekend!

arosar
04-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Yo Brian . . . been meaning to ask you mate. Who's this bloke Petrolito? And what's this business about Flude calling The Grob, the Spike? Tell him it's the Grob mate.

AR

chesslover
04-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Yo Brian . . . been meaning to ask you mate. Who's this bloke Petrolito? And what's this business about Flude calling The Grob, the Spike? Tell him it's the Grob mate.

AR

a rose by another name, is still a rose

Rincewind
04-03-2004, 10:49 PM
a rose by another name, is still a rose

Close but no cigar. ;)

chesslover
04-03-2004, 11:29 PM
2 questions about this issue

1. on the front page editorial, there is a fuzzy picture of the Asain continental delegates to FIDE. The caption says who can you spot? But then where is the answer to the question - it is very confusing Brian

2. on page 35 you have the top 10 weekenders in Australia

I do not know how you derived that - was it number of total players, prizemoney?

1. Doeberl
2. Ballarat Begonia
3. Gold Coast Open
4. fairfield summer cup
5. ANU open
6. Gold coast classic
7. Caloundra open
8. NSW open
9. Adelaide Uni Open
10. Tugernong Vikings

Alan Shore
04-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Wow.. I'd be putting the Adelaide Uni Open way ahead of the Gold Coast events.. must be based only on player turnout.

chesslover
04-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Wow.. I'd be putting the Adelaide Uni Open way ahead of the Gold Coast events.. must be based only on player turnout.

and how come a prestige NSWCA event like the NSW Open is behind the ANU, fairfield and caloundra weekenders?

Kerry Stead
05-03-2004, 02:53 AM
1. on the front page editorial, there is a fuzzy picture of the Asain continental delegates to FIDE. The caption says who can you spot? But then where is the answer to the question - it is very confusing Brian
I believe it was a rhetorical question. You should be able to spot Evelyn Koshnitsky in the centre of the front row however, and probably even Phil Viner 5 from the right in the second row. As for the others, I might need more than 20 pixels to make out who they are.

I do not know how you derived that - was it number of total players, prizemoney?

1. Doeberl
2. Ballarat Begonia
3. Gold Coast Open
4. fairfield summer cup
5. ANU open
6. Gold coast classic
7. Caloundra open
8. NSW open
9. Adelaide Uni Open
10. Tugernong Vikings
I suspect its just Brian's opinion based on player reactions to the tournament, both in terms of things such as number of players, prizemoney, etc, as well as things like general tournament atmosphere, etc.

Ian Rout
05-03-2004, 08:25 AM
I have always assumed Brian's rankings are based on number of players. Perhaps it might be more meaningful to use an average or a weighted average of the last three years.

Whatever, the fact that on any criteria at all ACT can get three tournaments into the top ten suggests there is scope for others to try harder. Add in Gold Coast (2), Caloundra and Ballarat and most of the action seems to be in the regions.

We should remember that the NSW Open is a new event. I understand that the vision is for it to grow to something of Doeberl/Ballarat standing. On that subject, has the venue been decided yet? - it was still tba last time I looked.

Alan Shore
05-03-2004, 10:56 AM
I suspect its just Brian's opinion based on player reactions to the tournament, both in terms of things such as number of players, prizemoney, etc, as well as things like general tournament atmosphere, etc.

Haha hell no.. The Uni Open had over $4000 worth of prizes, cheap entry fees, a fantastic venue with a whole other room for practice games, a free dinner for the players, within walking distance of city shops, video facilities upstairs and a transfer tournament.. it should be #1 by a long way! :)

arosar
05-03-2004, 03:38 PM
I actually thought the ranking was based on prizemoney.

AR

chesslover
07-03-2004, 04:33 PM
I actually thought the ranking was based on prizemoney.

AR

no - if it was just based on $, the list would be different

maybe it is just Brian's personal opinion on what is the top 10 weekenders..

Duff McKagan
09-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Yes, I wonder what someone who actually has played in all of the above events (possibly Ian Rogers) would submit as their order of the top 10 :)

I'm with Bruce so far.

Garvinator
09-03-2004, 06:02 PM

1. Doeberl
2. Ballarat Begonia
3. Gold Coast Open
4. fairfield summer cup
5. ANU open
6. Gold coast classic
7. Caloundra open
8. NSW open
9. Adelaide Uni Open
10. Tugernong Vikings

I might be able to help a little here. According the grand prix calendar list I have for 2004, the last two tournaments mentioned here are not part of the grand prix calendar. If they are meant to be part of the 2004 season, then plz send me an email at ggrayggray@hotmail.com so i can update the calendar.
the only other tournament on the 2004 grand prix calendar that doesnt have a category atm is the caloundra open.

I hope this helps.

chesslover
09-03-2004, 06:14 PM
I might be able to help a little here. According the grand prix calendar list I have for 2004, the last two tournaments mentioned here are not part of the grand prix calendar. the only other tournament on the 2004 grand prix calendar that doesnt have a category atm is the caloundra open.

I hope this helps.

and yet these tournaments are in the top 10 weekenders of australia :eek:

I would have thought that Brian who compiled these lists would have told us how he made this list, rather than let us speculate and assume

Garvinator
09-03-2004, 06:22 PM
and yet these tournaments are in the top 10 weekenders of australia :eek:

I would have thought that Brian who compiled these lists would have told us how he made this list, rather than let us speculate and assume

as i said, the calendar maybe just missing a tournament or two, i doubt it, but it could be a possibility :doh: Now if we arent allowed to speculate cause brian tells us how the list was done and we agree, then how are we to raise our post counts :whistle:

Also a point to consider is that the tournament organisers make the decision about whether they want their tournament to be eligible for the grand prix calendar of events. a tournament organiser is not forced to have their tournament as part of the grand prix.

chesslover
09-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Now if we arent allowed to speculate cause brian tells us how the list was done and we agree, then how are we to raise our post counts :whistle:

just start stupid threads about non issues so that you can make someone look bad, even though they have said they did not say these things and are even sorry if others thought that they did say that :mad: :mad:

Bill Gletsos
09-03-2004, 07:01 PM
just start stupid threads about non issues so that you can make someone look bad, even though they have said they did not say these things and are even sorry if others thought that they did say that :mad: :mad:
Better yet just start a thread showing that a goose did actually say something then watch when he just continually denies it therby showing he is not just a goose but a moron. :owned:

Garvinator
09-03-2004, 07:24 PM
i dont recall MAKING you look bad :hand:

Brian_Jones
10-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Amiel, heard about your question just as I took the turn to Bendigo (wrong - should have been Ballarat), having winged my way down to Melbourne on a $29 flight!
Joe Petrolito lives in Bendigo! (I'll leave him do his own CV)

Garvin, I suspect some weekenders have not yet had their annual meetings and taken the decision to enter the 2004 Grand Prix!

Everyone, I have this piece of paper with various stats, which I use to compile the top weekender list from. It is based on ........agh I feel an alzeimer attack coming on!

Alan Shore
10-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Haha Brian :p

samspade
10-03-2004, 03:37 PM

ARHear hear. You just can't call it anything else:mad: . It's a travesty.

chesslover
10-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Everyone, I have this piece of paper with various stats, which I use to compile the top weekender list from. It is based on ........agh I feel an alzeimer attack coming on!

I take it from this that it was just your opinion on what constittuted the best weekenders in Australia. If so you should state that in the magazine, for it seems to implay the top weekenders in australia as published in your magazine is taken from official objective sources

chesslover
10-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Yep. Definitely the Grob. You just can't call it anything else:mad: . It's a travesty. It's called the Grob after the guy who played it.

yes, otherwise there will be confusion. People will call the Ruy Lopez the Spanish, and the Centre Counter the Sandinavian and so on

Kevin Bonham
11-03-2004, 12:34 AM
yes, otherwise there will be confusion. People will call the Ruy Lopez the Spanish, and the Centre Counter the Sandinavian and so on

Aaaah, but those are two entirely different openings. The Centre Counter (1.e4 d5) is a lame opening played by patzers who love getting their queens kicked around the board, but the Scandinavian (1.e4 d5) is a lively and vigorous defence with a sound theoretical basis. :p

JGB
12-03-2004, 02:29 AM

The 'Spanish' and the 'Ruy Lopez'; They are also completly different openings! :doh: The Spanish is a great strategical game almost perfected in the Kaspy - Karpov WM games. And the Ruy Lopez was invented by some guy who believd chess should be played with the sun in the opponents eyes and only after his too drunk to set up the pieces alone. :p

Davidflude
16-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Dear dear me, the opening 1.g4 has various names in different parts of the world. No I will not list them all. That would be boring. I used a neutral name rather than get into
an arguement as to which name is correct. Yes, I have Grob's book on the opening.

In the next issue I will be dealing with a gambit name after a bloke who in some books is named Kieseritzky in others Kieseritsky and in one a mixture of both spellings.

Brian_Jones
26-04-2004, 09:26 AM
The May/June 2004 issue of Australian Chess magazine is out this week.
Look for the red cover with photo of the Sydney team at Asian Cities in Manila! (Non-subscribers call 02-9838-1529 to order your copy!)

Brian_Jones
30-06-2004, 08:57 AM
The new July issue of Australian Chess is out now with the winner of the 2004 Doeberl Cup IM Yong-Yuan Zhao on the cover.

arosar
02-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Good issue! Meadley's, I think, ought to be a regular fixture. We need history. Tell Dr Z to include more games next time. Thanks for including my pics - though pic of Ralph's was mine too. And at last, you have a letters section.

If I may, how about calling for invites for an 'essay'. It can be on anything and everything. You know, like the essay on the last page of every issue of Time? ACFo mob used to do this - I think. One essay that really stands out in my mind was a romantic piece by NK.

AR

Brian_Jones
30-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Australian Chess magazine - September/October 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue 5 of Australian Chess is out now with the Australian U16 Olympiad team on the front cover. Most subscribers will receive their magazine on Tuesday 31 August 2004.

ursogr8
02-09-2004, 08:02 AM
Australian Chess magazine - September/October 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue 5 of Australian Chess is out now with the Australian U16 Olympiad team on the front cover. Most subscribers will receive their magazine on Tuesday 31 August 2004.
Thanks Brian,
Received my copy of the magazine on Wednesday 1 September and immediately settled in for a good read. Great edition this one. A Flude-free zone this month.
starter

arosar
02-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Great edition this one.

Nah, I don't agree with you man. This issue reminds me of some women's rag. That is, the cover has little or no accompanying content.

And what exactly is an ambidextrous tiger?

Excellent report by Speck though.

AR

PHAT
02-09-2004, 05:07 PM
This issue reminds me of some women's rag. AR

There was no blue string with my copy. :confused:

Bill Gletsos
02-09-2004, 06:33 PM
There was no blue string with my copy. :confused:
You just cant help being crude.

ursogr8
02-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Nah, I don't agree with you man.

AR

Amiel
I went back for a second look. (Thought I might be biased for the previously stated reason). It is a really good issue. I can only conclude that you are being a contrarian. I don't know what the Sydney cure for this condition is but in Melbourne we would advise you to TAGHLAY.
starter

Rincewind
03-09-2004, 07:57 AM
I went back for a second look. (Thought I might be biased for the previously stated reason). It is a really good issue. I can only conclude that you are being a contrarian.

Amiel, a contrarian, no!

I don't know what the Sydney cure for this condition is but in Melbourne we would advise you to TAGHLAY.

Well I believe the Luna Park at Milson's Point has reopened. Perhaps a visit to the Hall of Mirrors is in order. Bill, can you get a motion to that effect on the agenda for the next NSWCA council meeting?

ursogr8
03-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Amiel, a contrarian, no!
Are you one too, Baz? :eek:
Why am I the only one in step? :confused:

Well I believe the Luna Park at Milson's Point has reopened. Perhaps a visit to the Hall of Mirrors is in order. Bill, can you get a motion to that effect on the agenda for the next NSWCA council meeting?

They might pass a motion appointing a sub-committee to look into it.

starter

arosar
03-09-2004, 09:30 AM
It is a really good issue.

Err...no, it isn't.

The last one was better.

AR

Brian_Jones
03-09-2004, 09:54 AM
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time". Who wrote this?

arosar
03-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Jesus Christ?

AR

Rincewind
03-09-2004, 10:05 AM
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time". Who wrote this?

It was Abe Lincoln. One of his most often quoted utterances. Although the original verb was "fool". It runs something like this:

You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time - but, you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

No doubt 10 versions of the exact quote could be found on the 'net somewhere. I'm temporarily separated from my dictionary of quotations, so I can't provide the quote verbatim.

Thunk
03-09-2004, 10:31 AM

thE madam down at thE pink flossiEs?

:uhoh: :cool: thE HUNK :cool: :uhoh:

Trizza
03-09-2004, 01:05 PM
I thought it was a good issue Brian. Reasonably interesting tourney reports and plenty of games to play over if I ever get the time :)

Given the very small price I think the magazine is definitely worth having.

I did detect one slight inaccuracy. You said the CAWA relinquished its Chess Centre at the King's Hotel in the CBD.

The CAWA actually received a notice to quit after the air-conditioning unit in the room caught fire. This occurred several days after a weekend tourney was held. There was no damage and no one was hurt, and it is almost certain that no chess player was at fault. Still I suppose it is their room and they can use it how they like.

This info comes from a statement by the now ex CAWA president in the CAWA newsletter, so I can't really provide any other info.

Brian_Jones
04-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks Tristan. Rob did tell me the story about the Chess Centre at the Kings Hotel. But I chickened out and left it bland in case I got the facts wrong.

AES
22-09-2004, 12:24 AM
The Uni Open is on the Grand prix calendar, Garvin. No doubt about that as we had a bill for the grand prix fees this year!!

Ian Rogers would be the best judge on the top 10 or anyone who has been to a fair few of them. However, you probably need to work out criteria for that kind of thing (not just a random opinion).

Alex.

Garvinator
22-09-2004, 12:55 AM
The Uni Open is on the Grand prix calendar, Garvin. No doubt about that as we had a bill for the grand prix fees this year!!

Ian Rogers would be the best judge on the top 10 or anyone who has been to a fair few of them. However, you probably need to work out criteria for that kind of thing (not just a random opinion).

Alex.

umm, i dont understand if this post is directed to me or not :doh: if it is directed to me, what are you actually asking of me to do?

AES
22-09-2004, 11:07 AM
I think Alex was responding to a comment earlier in this thread about the last two tournaments in the "top 10" not being on the Grand Prix Calender - which you made. But I think Alex realised afterwards that that post was majorly out of date (March or something!) so is probably not so relevant now :)

skip to my lou
22-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Andrew and Alex can you please use two seperate accounts. Thank you.

Garvinator
22-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I think Alex was responding to a comment earlier in this thread about the last two tournaments in the "top 10" not being on the Grand Prix Calender - which you made. But I think Alex realised afterwards that that post was majorly out of date (March or something!) so is probably not so relevant now :)
yeah, about four months earlier ;) and yes the university open is in the gp and the points have been calculated accordingly. Good to see you have received your bill too :P :lol:

AES
22-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Jeo, its too hard to use two seperate accounts when we use the same computer - it automatically saves his password and mine is so obscure I can't remember it - and can't be bothered changing it.

I'll just let you know its me with an Andrew at the end.

Plus, Alex wants a higher post count anyway!! :D

skip to my lou
22-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Please use two seperate browsers. Thank you.

Try www.mozilla.org and download firefox.

Brian_Jones
29-10-2004, 05:18 PM
The November/December 2004 issue of Australian Chess magazine will be mailed out to subscribers this weekend. Look out for the brown cover with photos of four old blokes in the Isle of Man!

Subs are now due for 2005. Please renew early. The first issue for 2005 will be posted out before Christmas 2004. It will include a full report and games from 36th Olympiad at Calvia. A great performance by both Aussie teams.
Also, congratulations to 17 yo Indonesian Susanto Megaranto who gained the GM title in Calvia!

Renew or subscribe to Australian Chess magazne at: http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/

eclectic
05-11-2004, 05:42 PM
The November/December 2004 issue of Australian Chess magazine will be mailed out to subscribers this weekend. Look out for the brown cover with photos of four old blokes in the Isle of Man!

Subs are now due for 2005. Please renew early. The first issue for 2005 will be posted out before Christmas 2004. It will include a full report and games from 36th Olympiad at Calvia. A great performance by both Aussie teams.
Also, congratulations to 17 yo Indonesian Susanto Megaranto who gained the GM title in Calvia!

Renew or subscribe to Australian Chess magazne at: http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/

Congratulations to Peter Leko the new classical world chess champion ... at least according to this magazine ... :doh:

(Preamble to FIDE rating list p19)

eclectic

Bill Gletsos
05-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Congratulations to Peter Leko the new classical world chess champion ... at least according to this magazine ... :doh:

(Preamble to FIDE rating list p19)

eclectic
Yes I noticed that.
Obviously the author didnt give Kramnik any chance of retaining it by clawing back Leko's 1 point lead.

arosar
05-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Yes. This great mag does continue to have little editorial mishaps. For instance, sometimes there is no named writer.

But this was a good issue this one.

AR

Brian_Jones
08-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Yes that one on p19 slipped through. It was written before the finish of the match! But I got the correct result everywhere else in the magazine, including the table on p35.

Amiel, where there is no specific author given, you can assume it is written by the Editor!

Thanks to all subscribers who supported the magazine through the first two years!

Brian_Jones
22-12-2004, 09:49 AM
The January/February 2005 issue of Australian Chess magazine was posted to subscribers today, Wednesday 22 December 2004. Look for the bright candy colour cover with picture of WIM Arianne Caoili. Contains full coverage of the Calvia Olympiad, Xmas Quiz plus the ACF December 2004 Rating List.

If you have forgotten to renew or wish to subscribe, please ring 02-9838-1529. There is still time to get your copy before Xmas!

arosar
22-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Look for the bright candy colour cover with picture of WIM Arianne Caoili.

Whose birthday is, of course, today.

AR

auriga
22-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Whose birthday is, of course, today.

AR

she's 18 today.

Bill Gletsos
23-12-2004, 05:54 PM
It is interesting to note that the Lane V Short game from the Olympiad in both TWIC 521 and in the latest Chessbase Mega 20005 both have the incorrect continuation at move 44 that Gary notes in the article. Mega and TWIC show the game ending on move 46 following 44. Re4+ where as the article shows it was 44. Rc4 and lasted until move 54.

arosar
24-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Hey BJ mate, top issue mate!! But I was a bit disappointed in the lack of prose on the women's Olympiad team. I always like a bit of storytelling, you know, to go with the games. And how about Ray Song's achievement? BJ, man, you only like put in a table! That was it. No commentary about the importance of that achievement.

Anyway, you can tell Gary that he's a bloody genius mate! Top class writer and player. I say, I thought Langer should be our next PM after his wonderful effort against Pakistan. But now I reckon Gary Lane should be.

Merry Xmas mate.

AR

Rincewind
24-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Anyway, you can tell Gary that he's a bloody genius mate! Top class writer and player. I say, I thought Langer should be our next PM after his wonderful effort against Pakistan. But now I reckon Gary Lane should be.

La donna mobile. ;)

arosar
24-12-2004, 10:14 AM
La donna mobile. ;)

Why would they be?

AR

Rincewind
24-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Why would they be?

It's just in their nature.

Brian_Jones
24-12-2004, 11:37 AM
And how about Ray Song's achievement? BJ, man, you only like put in a table! That was it. No commentary about the importance of that achievement. AR

Amiel my friend, I have seen a lot of good performances by juniors over the years and I have learnt not to get too excited too soon. After Shane Hill got the IM title in the Asian Junior in 1987, there were many good performances by Australian juniors. Do you remember Charles Pizzato or Roseanne Holloway? Do you remember Lee Jones knocking back the draw offer by Kramnik in Singapore? Do you remember Nancy Lane (nee Jones) winning a Silver Medal in the Asian Girls (U20) Championship in Indonesia?

I look forward to the day when Australia has lots more juniors winning medals around the world!

Rincewind
24-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Do you remember Lee Jones knocking back the draw offer by Kramnik in Singapore?

If only Leko could have done the same.

Denis_Jessop
24-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Amiel my friend, I have seen a lot of good performances by juniors over the years and I have learnt not to get too excited too soon. After Shane Hill got the IM title in the Asian Junior in 1987, there were many good performances by Australian juniors. Do you remember Charles Pizzato or Roseanne Holloway? Do you remember Lee Jones knocking back the draw offer by Kramnik in Singapore? Do you remember Nancy Lane (nee Jones) winning a Silver Medal in the Asian Girls (U20) Championship in Indonesia?

I look forward to the day when Australia has lots more juniors winning medals around the world!

I know Roseanne Holloway, now Callaghan. She is a student in Canberra and played in the ACT Championship this year after a long lay-off. She surprised more than one higher-rated player in the event. I hope she can be persuaded to play in a few more tournaments next year as Canberra badly needs more good adult female players.

Denis Jessop

Brian_Jones
01-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Crikey - we have an entry to the Shaun Press Christmas Quiz already.
This years quiz is defintely easier than last!

WhiteElephant
01-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Crikey - we have an entry to the Shaun Press Christmas Quiz already.
This years quiz is defintely easier than last!

Man, I've just put up a post on the General Chess Chat thread saying how hard the quiz is. It is probably a good thing I didn't see last year's one! :)

WhiteElephant
01-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Speaking of puzzles, has anyone checked out Shaun's Christmas Quiz in the latest Australian Chess Magazine? That is one tough Quiz! I mean, I've played a bit of chess in my day and usually manage to work out most chess problems without too much trouble. But some of these are impossible! I worked out the first one in 20 minutes but that is as far as I got.

Thanks, Shaun, for giving me something to do on New Years Day...grrrr.

Upon closer inspection, I have now worked out 9 & 10.

That's 3 down and 7 to go.

:owned:

jenni
01-01-2005, 01:47 PM
I know Roseanne Holloway, now Callaghan. She is a student in Canberra and played in the ACT Championship this year after a long lay-off. She surprised more than one higher-rated player in the event. I hope she can be persuaded to play in a few more tournaments next year as Canberra badly needs more good adult female players.

Denis Jessop

Oh is that who she is? I attacked her at ANU and got an e-mail address off her and a promise to play in the ACT women and girls next year if she wasn't too busy.

Denis_Jessop
01-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Oh is that who she is? I attacked her at ANU and got an e-mail address off her and a promise to play in the ACT women and girls next year if she wasn't too busy.

Yes - she also played in the ANU Open but her result was not so good there. She and her husband Tim, who is pretty much a beginner, played a couple of tournaments at CCC but not towards the end of the year, perhaps because of studies. I hope she keeps on playing because she is a genuinely good female senior player.

Denis Jessop

Brian_Jones
01-03-2005, 12:03 PM
The March/April 2005 issue of Australian Chess in the post today. Look out for the picture of Italian IM Elena Sedina on the cover!

There are new columns from Guy West and Zong Yuan Zhao.

Also, there were quite a few entries to the Xmas Quiz (solutions and winners in current issue)

Paul S
05-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Got my magazine yesterday and liked the editorial (thanks Brian).

With the magazine there was a nice 1 x double sided A3 colour sheet (ie effectively 4 x A4 pages) promoting the Queenstown tournament. I tell you, the promotion of the Mt Buller tournament (remember those near useless booklets?) was amateurish by comparison! Future Australian Open organisers should get a hold of this Queestown flyer and get some ideas on how to properly promote a large chess tournament!

Brian_Jones
27-04-2005, 05:54 PM
The May/June 2005 Issue of Australian Chess magazine will be mailed out on Thursday 28 April. Most subscribers will receive Friday 29 April, others will receive Monday 2 May.

Look for the pumpkin colour cover with photo of Aleks Wohl on the front, and a nice dragon on the back. Also, the gold insert of the new FIDE Laws of Chess.

For those that have forgot to renew for 2005 and are missing the news, results, stories, opening theory, games, ending analysis etc. you can subscribe at www.chessaustralia.com.au or telephone 02-9838-1529

Just state which issue you would like your subscription to start from!!

Brian Jones

arosar
30-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Top issue! I even forgive Mr Press for including my game in first round.

AR

Thunderspirit
30-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Hi BJ...

I may actually get around to writing my first column for the mag soon...

shaun
02-05-2005, 10:31 PM
I would be happy (as an arbiter) if EVERY player in Australia bought a copy of this issue, and read the rules insert. I think it would result in tournaments running a whole lot more smoothly.

Brian_Jones
01-07-2005, 09:41 AM
The July/August 2005 issue of Australian Chess magazine is published today.
Look for the pictures of Eugene Torre and Ian Rogers on the front cover.
Feature article is on Charles Fischer. Plenty of Australian and overseas news. Regular columns from young IMs John-Paul Wallace and Zong Yuan Zhao. Australian Ratings for June 2005 included as an insert. Existing subscribers should receive in the mail Monday. Others can buy or subscribe at www.chessaustralia.com.au

arosar
06-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Generally good issue. But I always get disappointed that it's a bit lacking in Mexican content. More on Vic Open would've been nice.

AR

Brian_Jones
15-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Australian Chess magazine volume 3 issue 5 has been posted out today Monday 15 August 2005. Look for the blue cover with picture of Australian Master Champion FM Jesse Sales on the cover! This is a bumper 60-page issue. Main feature is a "Postcard from Norway" including an interview with Magnus Carlsen trainer GM Simen Agdestein.

eclectic
15-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Australian Chess magazine volume 3 issue 5 has been posted out today Monday 15 August 2005.

what ... half a month ahead of schedule?? ....

!! a bleeding miracle !!

surely brian is a lay down misere for the purdy medal this year for such a sterling effort

:whistle:

;)

eclectic

Brian_Jones
31-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Australian Chess magazine for November/December 2005 (Volume 3 Issue 6) is being posted out this week in two batches:

1. Resellers and subscribers who have already paid for 2006 (Posted Monday October 31)

2. Subscribers with red renewal notices (Posted Tuesday November 1)

Can I remind all those who receive red notices to renew early as the first issue for 2006 will be posted out before Xmas. (The Australian Championships in Brisbane start on Wednesday 28 December 2005).

Brian Jones
Editor, Australian Chess magazine
www.chessaustralia.com.au

Brian_Jones
01-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Volume 4 Issue 1 of Australian Chess magazine will be posted to subscribers before Xmas. Includes report on FIDE World Cup and Victorian Championship.
Xmas Quiz. John-Paul Wallace plays in English 4NCL.

Full details of 2006 ACF Grand Prix.

And of course, an ACF December 2005 rating insert!

Subscribe at www.chessaustralia.com.au

Brian_Jones
22-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Australian Chess magazine Volume 4 Issue 1 in the post to subscribers today.

Orange cover with picture of Gary Lane, Lee Jones and Baduur Jobava on the front (and Mark Paragua on the back).

Includes ACF rating list at December 1.

Brian_Jones
01-03-2006, 12:42 PM
The March/April 2006 issue of Australian Chess Magazine has just gone to the printers and will be posted out a few days late. Look for the lime green cover with photos of Rogers, Chandler, Smerdon and Ftacnik to arrive in the mail next Monday or Tuesday.

Denis_Jessop
01-03-2006, 04:26 PM
The March/April 2006 issue of Australian Chess Magazine has just gone to the printers and will be posted out a few days late. Look for the lime green cover with photos of Rogers, Chandler, Smerdon and Ftacnik to arrive in the mail next Monday or Tuesday.

Actually, March seems to me to be running early this year so your problem is understandable ;)

DJ

Brian_Jones
06-03-2006, 12:57 PM
The March/April 2006 issue of Australian Chess Magazine was posted out today Monday 6 March. Look for the lime green cover with photos of Rogers, Chandler, Smerdon and Ftacnik.

If you aren't already a subscriber then why not? Support Australian Chess now! Visit http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?p=catalog&g=magazines

Brian_Jones
01-05-2006, 11:09 AM
The May/June 2006 issue of Australian Chess magazine was published today and posted to all subscribers in Australia and overseas.

Look out for the purple cover and Doeberl Cup photos!

Brian_Jones
01-07-2006, 08:58 AM
The July/August issue of Australian Chess magazine was posted out to subscribers on 30 June (yesterday).

Full coverage of the Australian teams at the Turin Olympiad.
Annotated game from GM Alexandra Kosteniuk!
June 2006 Australian rating list.

Look out for mauve cover with photos of the Australian Women's team!

Most readers should get the magazine on Monday!

Basil
01-07-2006, 01:40 PM
The July/August issue of Australian Chess magazine was posted out to subscribers on 30 June (yesterday).

Look out for mauve cover with photos of the Australian Women's team!

Most readers should get the magazine on Monday!

I'm sorry Brian, but I don't believe in getting magazines on a Monday; it's a complete wank! :)

Garrett
01-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Why is everyone so obsessed with wanking at this site ???

Ian Murray
01-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Why is everyone so obsessed with wanking at this site ???
One of the few pleasures still available at no cost (provided you don't mind hairy palms) :)