PDA

View Full Version : 42

Basil
16-06-2006, 11:55 PM
The meaning of life, the universe and everything was 42
according to the Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy

That was easy. I knew that before I read the book. I also knew the answer as to the raison d'etre of this BB before I got here.

I've been continuously suprised by how many well-formed minds completely miss the point of this BB; and I thought it was about time I shared.

As an aside, the reason for many "missing the point" is much the same as my political arguments, viz "it doesn't matter how strong and reasoned the mind is, if its analysing the wrong data and giving the right data incorrect weightings, all manner of bollocks gets spewed out the other end, but I digress...

[B]The reason for this BB
This BB is first and foremost a community. It is a place for people with a common interest [or socio bond] to gather. It is like any other community.

There is a time and a place for everything. It takes all personalities. Further, a general intolerance of those personalities on the basis they or their views or modus operandi, makes the intolerant themselves guilty of a far greater sin.

This BB's purpose is not as many have suggested;
- the place to administrate chess in Australia
- the place to overthrow Australian chess administrators
- the place have big deep thoughts and produce weighty offerings of immense magnitude

There is certainly a place for all of those things in this BB community, but I've seen just one too many fall gloriously on their sword and matyr themselves because the conduct on this BB is not the community they envisioned.

We need the Matt's, the Howard's, the Bill's, and [God forbid] the Ax's, and yes the Libby's and the Brian's. We are Australian chess, and you will find every other community IRL is exactly the same.

Let's forget this bullshit utopia that some seek.
Let's acknowledge that this is what we've got.
Let's play by the rules [as determined from time to time]; viz the owners and the The Squad.

We are all good people. Let's act like it.

Henceforth, I will be sending transgressors to 5 "42's", in much the same vein as saying 10 Hail Marys.

Basil
17-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Ooops! The point being ...

The biggest sin of all is whining that this BB is not what's its supposed to be.

This BB is a community - that's all. Don't expect it to be your this or that - if you can't handle that, go and create your own world, your own people and your own rules.

Finally, if you're going to leave town, please do quietly, without fanning your own pomp and ceremony.

Small Print
Clause 4.1.7
Exception : Howard Duggan if he so deems :)

Alan Shore
17-06-2006, 12:59 AM
http://www.loowee.com/stuff/rofl(1).jpg

Basil
17-06-2006, 01:02 AM
I beg to differ. I am at very least ... Matt has given me his KY, and I've always been partial to the hairy harry.

The back-story of gorgeous Swedish wife and child is nothing more than misinformation.

Alan Shore
17-06-2006, 01:05 AM
I knew it! ;)

Basil
17-06-2006, 01:09 AM
I knew it! ;)

Its not possible to be this good looking and have this much personality without contemplating hitting for the other side.

bergil
17-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Its not possible to be this good looking and have this much personality without contemplating hitting for the other side.
Contemplating Ok, but batting! :eek: :P

Basil
17-06-2006, 01:23 AM
Contemplating Ok, but batting! :eek: :P

Hi mate - I'm not the one eagerly awaiting the Krispy Kremes - eeeuugghh

bergil
17-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Hi mate - I'm not the one eagerly awaiting the Krispy Kremes - eeeuugghh
You might if camping in blaney when its -6 and got stuck into the white port to keep warm around a fire. :D

Basil
17-06-2006, 01:30 AM
You might if camping in blaney when its -6 and got stuck into the white port to keep warm around a fire. :D

As long as you only want to keep warm around the fire ...

bergil
17-06-2006, 01:44 AM
As long as you only want to keep warm around the fire ...
It might be a 3 dog night but never a ......... :P