PDA

View Full Version : Airfare War A Win For Chess

arosar
26-02-2004, 07:58 AM
Yo fellaz!! Did you hear the news? There's gonna be a new round of fare war with the launch of jetstar. There are $29 seats (one way) to GC for example. So c'mon!! Book your flights and play interstate. Now I can actually afford to go down to Tassie.

Woohoo!

AR

PHAT
26-02-2004, 02:48 PM
There are $29 seats (one way) to GC for example.

Don't hold your breath. there are only 100k of them, the rest are "normal prices". I had a look at fares to Mexico and at the times I looked at, the prices are ~20% lower until July - biiiiig deeeeeal

HYPE

Alan Shore
26-02-2004, 05:35 PM
If we all fly to Tassie, Kevin won't be able to get his picket fence score every tournament any more, hehe. It's tempting, but 'just chess' isn't enough to lure me interstate! Maybe if you could organise an Iron Maiden concert there.. then I'd be a certainty :)

ursogr8
26-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Don't hold your breath. there are only 100k of them, the rest are "normal prices". I had a look at fares to Mexico and at the times I looked at, the prices are ~20% lower until July - biiiiig deeeeeal

HYPE
You got it in one Matt.
They started selling at 200 tickets per minute and all gone before the office-workers arrived.

Kevin Bonham
26-02-2004, 11:43 PM
If we all fly to Tassie, Kevin won't be able to get his picket fence score every tournament any more, hehe.

Actually I've only picket-fenced two weekenders ever - 2002 Tas Champs and 2002 Launceston Weekender - as well as three club events (two of which were also in 2002). Besides we still have Lim Yee Weng (FIDE 2311) here to keep me honest for a bit. All the same it would be great to see lots of you guys down here sometime.

Maybe if you could organise an Iron Maiden concert there.. then I'd be a certainty

Not likely, the nearest approach to that with any serious sales figures behind it is normally AC/DC. :(

chesslover
28-02-2004, 06:20 PM
You got it in one Matt.
They started selling at 200 tickets per minute and all gone before the office-workers arrived.

exactly.This is just a publicity stunt by Jetstar, and Virgin Blue has responded in typical aggressive style showing that they will match anything that Jetstar can throw at them

In fact the biggest loser from these cut price battles will be Qantas - as it's prices and patronage becomes victom to the pricewar between it's subsidiary and Virgin Blue