PDA

View Full Version : All-round Security Suite

arosar
10-05-2006, 04:41 PM
You guys have any recommendations for an all-round personal security suite? I've been thinking of switching to Zone Alarm as all the reviews I've read rate it very highly.

I currently have Norton IS but it sucks too much memory and my system slows down. Plus it's bloody annoying.

AR

Igor_Goldenberg
10-05-2006, 11:14 PM
I use Zone alarm at the moment. It has firewall + antivirus + anti-spyware + other bells and whistles.

Another alternative - McAfee (they are going or already have included firewall). I used to use it as antivirus but got sick of having two application instead of one.

Unless you don't have specific and/or unique needs, Zone alarm should be fine

Davidflude
11-05-2006, 10:47 AM
This sounds interesting. Is it a freebie. I use Panda which has a firewall as well as a virus checker built in. I also use Spyware Doctor which works well Neither is free but they do the job.

Southpaw Jim
11-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Zone Alarm is a freebie for the basic firewall.

I used to use it but had problems with it (dunno why), and switched to the free version of Kerio.

I also use ClamAV (really pretty good, and free), and AdAware for spyware (also free, and good).

Igor_Goldenberg
11-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Must admit I switched to paid-up version of ZoneAlarm few years ago (paid by the company anyway:D ). As far as I remember, it's not terribly expensive.

What is the problem with free version? I remember using it, it did the job.

Rincewind
11-05-2006, 05:16 PM
I tried the free ZoneAlarm and found it annoying. I use Sygate firewall. Not free but very good, IMHO.

I use Avast antivirus which is free and I find very good. I've been a user for more than a year. I also use Ad-Aware personal and am pretty impressed with it too.

ElevatorEscapee
14-05-2006, 05:42 PM
For A/V software Ewido has a free 30 odd day trial. I have been using Avast! (free version) for several years now and find it adequate, however it takes several hours to scan my 80G hard drive.

Just a word of warning though, make sure you completely uninstall and remove all trace of Norton (not that easy to do) before trying to install a new anti-virus software, otherwise the two programs may clash and cause your computer to crash.