PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Complaint Against Kb's D.o.p. Style

antichrist
09-05-2006, 10:03 AM
KB has vigorously denied that there was a complaint on the old BB against his MO of DOPing tournaments. He wanted first hand evidence, identification of witnesses, when, where, how, why etc blah blah.

KB has since admitted it is very difficult to trace posts on 2002 board as was a free for all of all posts in one thread.

KB has also admitted that he does read rules out before commencing the tournament.

Many posters and even officials have stated that they really hate it when DOPs read rules out before comps.

So the question is, on the balance of probabilities, was there likely to have been a complaint made on the 2002 BB re KB's style of DOPing?

You be the judge.

bergil
09-05-2006, 10:11 AM
No but I don't believe he is a god.

A/C where is your new avatar? :whistle:

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2006, 12:07 PM
I could not find an option I could vote for, so I added one. :) Yay for democracy, firegoat will be in raptures!

If it was on the 2002 BBs then the chances of me having missed it are very very low indeed. I was on those BBs all year and was only away from home overnight for a handful of days during 2002. I would only have missed it if it was posted just before one of the BBs fell over and couldn't be archived for some reason.

I do believe there were BBs of a sort before 2002, on which I was not present, so I cannot vouch for them.

antichrist
09-05-2006, 03:07 PM
I could not find an option I could vote for, so I added one. :) Yay for democracy, firegoat will be in raptures!

If it was on the 2002 BBs then the chances of me having missed it are very very low indeed. I was on those BBs all year and was only away from home overnight for a handful of days during 2002. I would only have missed it if it was posted just before one of the BBs fell over and couldn't be archived for some reason.

I do believe there were BBs of a sort before 2002, on which I was not present, so I cannot vouch for them.

I am not saying 2002, but was on that free for all board about many years ago.

NOW BECAUSE YOU WENT TO THE TROUBLE OF SEARCHING, THE SECOND TIME MIND YOU, I THINK YOUR PERSONALITY IS ONE THAT WOULD EXCESSIVELY READ OUT THOSE RULES AND CAUSE IMPATIENT PEOPLE DISPLEASURE

Not that they worry me.

Kevin Bonham
09-05-2006, 03:10 PM
NOW BECAUSE YOU WENT TO THE TROUBLE OF SEARCHING, THE SECOND TIME MIND YOU, I THINK YOUR PERSONALITY IS ONE THAT WOULD EXCESSIVELY READ OUT THOSE RULES AND CAUSE IMPATIENT PEOPLE DISPLEASURE

Actually the second time I was searching for our previous discussion and my reason for looking for it was to try to save effort.

In any case the logical connection between the premise and the conclusion of your argument escapes me even faster than the need for your pointless use of capitals.

Kevin Bonham
18-05-2006, 01:04 AM
AC, I would just like to very very lightly rub your nose in the failure of your poll. You reckoned it was going to go in your favour with at least five votes against me. In fact there were only four votes cast and of that pitiably small sample it seems to have split 2-2. Pretty remarkable given that there are at least three posters here who would normally vote against me out of habit, while most of those agreeing with my ideas would never give any poll by you the time of day. :)

antichrist
18-05-2006, 01:10 AM
But my point holds up. How would I know that you give a "lecture" before the tourney if someone did not point it out first. And you definitely did not point out first.

Kevin Bonham
18-05-2006, 03:07 AM
But my point holds up. How would I know that you give a "lecture" before the tourney if someone did not point it out first. And you definitely did not point out first.

I have never denied that I give short and appropriate rules briefings before some tournaments. I'll accept, since I can't prove otherwise, that you saw a post discussing this issue.

What I have questioned, and will continue to question, is that this was such a big deal to someone that they spat the dummy and sincerely said they wouldn't play in my events anymore. I haven't been able to work out anyone who stopped playing in that time who it could have possibly been. So I suspect the person was exaggerating, trolling, stirring, fibbing, or failing to state their real reasons. .

antichrist
18-05-2006, 08:18 AM
I am sure they over-reacted just as Ron Kite used to over-react to CZ explaining rules. I think there is some other issue behind so they use it as an excuse to criticise or more likely they have a hatred of authority. People in the know, know that Ron Kite did not like authority. And I think we can guess that FG7 does not like authority. He was definitely off target when accusing a mod of trying to ban Starter.

antichrist
17-01-2011, 08:09 PM
............................... He was definitely off target when accusing a mod of trying to ban Starter.

Well starter was eventually banned so there was something in it.

And KB has read the riot act out to me every since well that gives the original complainet more credibility about excessively reading out rules

Tony Dowden
17-01-2011, 08:58 PM
This looks (very) old but for the record KB is an excellent DOP - as good as most IAs I've seen in action, so probably one of the best DOPs around who is based outside the main cntres of chess in Australia.

In the last five years I've played in at least a dozen Tasmanian events where he was a DOP or an assistant DOP. He has the basic three qualities needed: he is highly knowledgeable, he is decisive and he has good people management skills.

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks Tony. I have no idea what (apart from boredom and a lack of trolling options) has promoted AC to recycle this dessicated rubbish.

The background for those who came in late is:

* AC has claimed that in about 2002, on boards that were precursors to this one, he he saw a post from someone supposedly complaining that at the start of a tournament I spent too long reading out the rules

* Nobody else has ever been found who can recall seeing this alleged post.

* I have never spent a lot of time reading out the rules before tournaments anyway - though in the pre-increment days I would make sure people were clear about 10.2.

antichrist
18-01-2011, 12:02 AM
But what about starter being banned, FG7 certainly had prophetic powers there

Kevin Bonham
18-01-2011, 12:14 AM
But what about starter being banned, FG7 certainly had prophetic powers there

Naaah, you're being silly as always. Someone gets points for prophecy if they say something will happen and it does. They don't get points if they say something is happening when it isn't, and it then happens much later.