PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Torino Olympiad [All Olympiad results discussion here - mod]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Garvinator
07-05-2006, 03:05 PM
The Fide website now has a link to the list of teams for the 2006 Olympiad.

I see Australia is ranked 45th on rating of the federations in the open section and 33rd in the womens section.

And for our PNG followers, they are ranked 118 out of 128 listed federations in the open section. If there is an even number of federations, there wont be the battle to avoid the bye;)

http://schach.wienerzeitung.at/Welt.aspx?id=4692&lan=1&nr=-1

How about we have discussions on this thread during the tournament to avoid having about ten threads for the olympiad :)

four four two
07-05-2006, 04:29 PM
It is interesting that Somalia,Taiwan,Malawi and Sierre Leone are listed as competing countries in the olympiad,they dont appear on FIDE's official site as current members of FIDE and of these countries only Taiwan has one player listed with an actual FIDE rating.

Sierre Leone also only has 3 boards.:eh:
You would think FIDE would give them at least four airline tickets.:wall:

Another weird thing is Nigeria,where 2 of their players who are IM's[board 5 and 6] are not even given ratings.:eek:
IM Odion [board5] has actually won a medal at a previous olympiad .

Surely even if your federation hasnt paid its bills they wouldnt take away your rating. Their seeding of 126 is just a laugh,they should be at least 70th.

Garvinator
07-05-2006, 04:44 PM
It is interesting that Somalia,Taiwan,Malawi and Sierre Leone are listed as competing countries in the olympiad,they dont appear on FIDE's official site as current members of FIDE and of these countries only Taiwan has one player listed with an actual FIDE rating.

Sierre Leone also only has 3 boards.:eh:
You would think FIDE would give them at least four airline tickets.:wall:

Another weird thing is Nigeria,where 2 of their players who are IM's[board 5 and 6] are not even given ratings.:eek:
IM Odion [board5] has actually won a medal at a previous olympiad .

Surely even if your federation hasnt paid its bills they wouldnt take away your rating. Their seeding of 126 is just a laugh,they should be at least 70th.
I understand that from questions I asked about phillipines players is that if your federation owes money to fide, your fide rating doesnt get published.

Therefore, they probably have fide ratings previously, just that they arent published. There have been claims that one side of the presidency battle has been promising to ignore money owed to fide in return for their vote (dont know how true it is, but it has been claimed.).

Also I understand that it isnt unusual for countries to make up their numbers by getting extras during the tournament ie from people who are from the more successful countries who there in some kind of non playing capacity, especially if the ring-in does have some kind of connection to the country they are going to play for at the olympiad.

Kevin Bonham
07-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Agree with 442 - they should be seeded correctly.

FIDE seems to assume unrated = 1600 for seeding purposes. This creates some odd outcomes. I would say PNG (118th on paper with two 2000+s and rest unrated) are probably a stronger side than Bermuda (116th with one 2000+, one unrated and three sub-2000s) ... provided Shaun doesn't get drug-tested again.

Garvinator
07-05-2006, 04:46 PM
provided Shaun doesn't get drug-tested again.
with random drug testing, this is a certainty.

Lucena
07-05-2006, 05:44 PM
... provided Shaun doesn't get drug-tested again.

with random drug testing, this is a certainty.

Unless I am mistaken, if drug testing is truly done randomly, Shaun would be no less likely to be tested at this olympiad than anyone else. But I'm not convinced the testing is completely "random". Might they perhaps be inclined to target him because of what happened last time?

Reminds me of a scene in "Inside Man" where a Sikh guy with beard and turban talks about always getting "randomly" searched at airports.

WhiteElephant
07-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Reminds me of a scene in "Inside Man" where a Sikh guy with beard and turban talks about always getting "randomly" searched at airports.

On a recent holiday to Queensland, I had to go through the usual metal detectors at the airport. I was asked (quite rudely, I must say) by one of the security guards, to remove my cap and put it through the metal detectors. I thought that was strange, since some other people were going through with caps on. I did as I was asked, but remarked to my travelling companon that if I was hiding something under my cap, I could be hiding the same thing on another part of my body.
Before I knew it, 2 huge security guards rushed at me and told me that I had been selected for a 'random' pat down. I told them that I would prefer it if they did not touch me when one of them put his arms on my shoulders and the other one told me that in that case they would handcuff me and I would have to wait 6 hours for the Federal Police to arrive. Well I agreed to be patted down after that and went on my way. Good to see them doing their job but I don't think it was necessary to push their weight around like that.

four four two
07-05-2006, 06:09 PM
I understand that from questions I asked about phillipines players is that if your federation owes money to fide, your fide rating doesnt get published.

I am aware of countries temporarily having their ratings delisted when they dont pay their financial dues. But seeing as they are competiting in the olympiad you would think FIDE has either waived or paid their bill.
Thus giving all the nigerian players their appropiate ratings and consequently nigeria's appropiate seeding.

Is it possible to compete for a country at the olympiad while that country isnt a current member of FIDE?:hmm:

And if so,why does FIDE allow this?:hmm:

Ian Rout
12-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Based on the currently published seedings (which must still be fluid as Australia is now 48) the first round opponents would be Iraq (Open) and Honduras (Women).

I think, though, that final seedings may be based on the top four (or three in the Women's) whereas the publsihed rankings use the average of the whole team as board orders have not been declared.

One interesting point is that after all the dramas last time Susan Polgar is not listed in the USA Women's team.

four four two
12-05-2006, 03:18 PM
I noticed that the board one player for Mauritius is listed as belonging to the English federation...Puerto Rico also has a Columbian federation player on board one.

Does anyone know how dual citizenship works in relation to qualifying for an olympiad team?:hmm:

MichaelBaron
12-05-2006, 04:23 PM
I noticed that the board one player for Mauritius is listed as belonging to the English federation...Puerto Rico also has a Columbian federation player on board one.

Does anyone know how dual citizenship works in relation to qualifying for an olympiad team?:hmm:

Good Idea..I am off to the next chess olympiad as board 1 for some banana republic :eek: :owned:

Garvinator
12-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Good Idea..I am off to the next chess olympiad as board 1 for some banana republic :eek: :owned:
make sure you get a good price;)

Garvinator
12-05-2006, 04:28 PM
I think I have seen that the olympiad is 13 rounds, wasnt there discussion and PNG, ACF etc wanted it kept at 14 rounds.

Disclaimer: hazy memory

bergil
12-05-2006, 04:37 PM
You live in one already and didn't make the team!! :P

Denis_Jessop
12-05-2006, 11:10 PM
I think I have seen that the olympiad is 13 rounds, wasnt there discussion and PNG, ACF etc wanted it kept at 14 rounds.

Disclaimer: hazy memory

The ACF voted to keep 14 rounds but the majority of federations by quite a margin voted for 13.

DJ

Denis_Jessop
12-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Here is the relevant part of the FIDE Olympiad regulations covering the several points raised in preceding posts:

The teams

are the men`s and women`s national teams for Federations affiliated to FIDE.

Every federation affiliated to FIDE is entitled to participate with a national team of players who are qualified by birth, citizenship or naturalization to represent their federation. Detailed eligibility rules are in Reg. C.05.

A player who has resided for at least three years in a country of which he or she is not a citizen after the date on which FIDE shall have received notification of change of Federation and who proves that he or she has applied for citizenship in that country or intends to do so as soon as the legal requirements are fulfilled may become a team member of a Federation after a thorough examination and clearance of the case by the FIDE President.

A player with dual citizenship may only represent one Federation and is eligible by citizenship to participate in the Olympiad on condition that he or she has not represented any other Federation in any FIDE team or individual competition at any time in the preceding year.

DJ

Brian_Jones
13-05-2006, 09:07 AM
The ACF voted to keep 14 rounds but the majority of federations by quite a margin voted for 13.

DJ

Torino had a problem and we didn't show any empathy.

And we will be in the minority again with the Presidential vote!

four four two
13-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Torino didnt have the problem...FIDE forgot to check an italian calendar to realise there was a public holiday!:lol:

We should send Kirsan on a long holiday....:whistle:

bergil
13-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Torino had a problem and we didn't show any empathy.

And we will be in the minority again with the Presidential vote!
Yeah the biggest football team in Turin just lost its board of directors because they tried to influence refereeing appointments and match fixing.

Juventus isn't the only team being investergated AC Milan, Lazio and Fiorentina, plus Italy's World Cup referee Massimo De Santis. :eek:

Sorry that's not the problem you were talking about, thank goodness. :uhoh:

Garvinator
15-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Trent:

From your blog:

I just hope that they will be putting all the games live over the internet so that we Aussies can follow the progress of our team. If so I'll be watching :)

If you mean live over the internet ie dgt boards, not a chance in hell of every board being done. It theoritically could be done, but it is a massive task and I think most organisers would say that it isnt worth it.

Kevin Bonham
19-05-2006, 06:27 PM
If you mean live over the internet ie dgt boards, not a chance in hell of every board being done. It theoritically could be done, but it is a massive task and I think most organisers would say that it isnt worth it.

Weren't all boards live in 2002? (Not completely sure my memory is right on this.) Then in 2004 we were annoyed because they only did a limited number live for some lame reason.

I'd be interested to know how many (if any) will be live this time.

Garvinator
19-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Weren't all boards live in 2002? (Not completely sure my memory is right on this.) way before my time ;)

Then in 2004 we were annoyed because they only did a limited number live for some lame reason. I understand it was because of money, of course:P

Bill Gletsos
20-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Opening ceremony 1am tonight.

Bill Gletsos
20-05-2006, 07:05 PM
If I have it worked out right the 1st round starts 7pm tomorrow night.

Garvinator
20-05-2006, 08:10 PM
If I have it worked out right the 1st round starts 7pm tomorrow night.
not sure if this is right.

First round starts at 1500 tomorrow by http://www.chessolympiad-torino2006.org/eng/olimpiadi_calendario.php?pag=2&pagina=1

That would then be 11pm here by http://www.worldtimeserver.com/time_converter.aspx?f=IT

Italy is currently on dst as well.

MichaelBaron
20-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Good luck to the Auzzie battlers :clap:

Bill Gletsos
20-05-2006, 09:55 PM
not sure if this is right.

First round starts at 1500 tomorrow by http://www.chessolympiad-torino2006.org/eng/olimpiadi_calendario.php?pag=2&pagina=1

That would then be 11pm here by http://www.worldtimeserver.com/time_converter.aspx?f=IT

Italy is currently on dst as well.Yes, I'm sure you are right.

What is strange is that on their website the countdown clock under the heading "To the Olympiads" is currently showing 3:0:30.
As such I'm wondering what happens in just on 3 hrs i.e. 1am our time. I had assumed they were referring to the Opening Ceremony.

However based on the clock 1am is 4 hrs before the Opening Ceremony.

Garvinator
21-05-2006, 04:44 PM
If I have it worked out right the 1st round starts 7pm tomorrow night
wish you had been right, 7pm is much friendlier to watch the games than 1am;) :D

Been looking at the turin olympiad website, cant seem to find the first round pairings? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Garvinator
21-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Been looking at the turin olympiad website, cant seem to find the first round pairings? Can someone point me in the right direction?
Found them:

Open section:

http://schach.wienerzeitung.at/tnr3410.aspx?tnr=3410&art=2&rd=1&lan=1&flag=30

Macau v Australia

Women's section:

http://schach.wienerzeitung.at/tnr3411.aspx?tnr=3411&art=2&rd=1&lan=1&flag=30

Libya v Australia

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2006, 08:54 PM
According to TWIC an official results site is at

http://schach.wienerzeitung.at/tnr3410.aspx?art=0&lan=1&flag=30

123 Macau (MAC) - 50 Australia (AUS)
50.1 Silveirinha Jose 2126 - IM Smerdon David 2460
50.2 Celis Solomon Bernardino III 2079 - IM Lane Gary 2440
50.3 Mak Keng Kei 2040 - IM Wohl Aleksandar 2432
50.4 Ho Cheng Fai 2023 - Speck Nick 2389

90 Libya (LBA) - 38 Australia (AUS)
38.1 Eman Ali 0 - IM Berezina Irina 2281
38.2 Elnami Safa 0 - WIM Moylan Laura 2127
38.3 Wafa Mohamed 0 - WIM Caoili Arianne 2169

I'm assuming we're white on 2 and 4 for the Open and 2 for the Women's for this round.

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2006, 08:58 PM
You beat me by a minute! I'll leave mine up so others can see the individual pairings.

Garvinator
21-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Ok Kevin, that is a gee up. My question goes unanswered, as soon as I post the answer to my own question, you put up information :snooty: :twisted:

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2006, 09:04 PM
I actually would have had it up 10 mins earlier but my browser took exception to something on the official results site and crashed.

Garvinator
21-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I actually would have had it up 10 mins earlier but my browser took exception to something on the official results site and crashed.
not just your browser I think. The webpage started refusing to load for me as well for a few minutes.

jenni
21-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I've had from two different sources now that the accommodation leaves a bit to be desired. Laura Moylan had a whinge to Shannon last night and Shaun Press has just sent a report around the Canberra e-mail list, which describes it as down-market Formula 1:eek:

The food arrangements sound similar to Belfort.

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2006, 10:20 PM
On the main site a "GO TO GAMES" link has just appeared. If you click on it you get a world map where you can click on countries. At present clicking on this just results in a message "If you don't visualise games download Java" message.

Anyone else had a go?

four four two
21-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I've had from two different sources now that the accommodation leaves a bit to be desired. Laura Moylan had a whinge to Shannon last night and Shaun Press has just sent a report around the Canberra e-mail list, which describes it as down-market Formula 1:eek:

The food arrangements sound similar to Belfort.

Turin is a fairly pricey city...not surprised the accomadation isnt top shelf.:whistle:

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2006, 11:05 PM
OK, so it is past 11pm and nothing is happening at my end except the above. Has anyone else tried and actually got games? When I click on the download java link it comes up with a number of downloads all of which are ridiculously large and it's not clear which is required anyway.

Garvinator
21-05-2006, 11:32 PM
OK, so it is past 11pm and nothing is happening at my end except the above. Has anyone else tried and actually got games? When I click on the download java link it comes up with a number of downloads all of which are ridiculously large and it's not clear which is required anyway.
just tried both ie and mozilla and it appears that the whole site wont load

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2006, 11:37 PM
I've got some progress now - I get a display with this info, when I click on Australia:

AUSTRALIA

MACAU |Si. (W) |Ce. (B) |Ma. (W) |Ho. (B)
AUSTRALIA |Sm. (B) |La. (W) |Wo. (B) |Sp. (W)
0.0 - 0.0 |* 1010501

|AUSTRALIA |Be. (B) |Mo. (W) |Ca. (B)
W |Libya |Em. (W) |El. (B) |Wa. (W)
|0.0 - 0.0 |* 0010381

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2006, 11:38 PM
ah, and a little rook thingy, wonder what happens if I click on that.

[edit: it makes a javascript window with four boards come up, but I still can't yet see anything on them.]

Garvinator
21-05-2006, 11:53 PM
ah, and a little rook thingy, wonder what happens if I click on that.

[edit: it makes a javascript window with four boards come up, but I still can't yet see anything on them.]
using mozilla I am now able to see all four of Open Australia's games. Rogers is sitting out round 1.

http://www1.chessolympiad-torino2006.org:8080/sungam/indRoundG.do?round=1

Garvinator
21-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Laura Moylan has already won her game in 13 moves as white :eek: and either there is a transmission problem or Berezina's game hasnt started.

Kevin Bonham
21-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I'm getting the match window but then just four big grey spaces where the boards should be. Annoying.

antisense
22-05-2006, 12:01 AM
If you click on the rook link again to refresh the page I think you'll see the games

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I'm getting the match window but then just four big grey spaces where the boards should be. Annoying.
are you using mozilla or ie? I can only get the games through mozilla.

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 12:23 AM
I was using IE but as well as not being able to get the games, it also crashed three times while using the site, in one case making my poor old computer crash as well.

I am now downloading firefox - something I probably should have got around to several years ago.

I believe Laura's was the first game finished in the olympiads - what happened?

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Yay! It works! (Takes a long time to get the games up but they do arrive eventually.)

Moylan - Elnami 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 f6 4.Bc4 Bb4+ 5.c3 Bd6 6.0-0 Nge7 7.dxe5 fxe5 8.Ng5 Rf8 9.Nxh7 Rh8 10.Qh5+ g6 11.Nf6+ Kf8 12.Qh6+! Rxh6 13.Bxh6# 1-0

Berezina has won on forfeit.

Caoili is winning - I thought she was losing but had the colours confused!

See if I can get the Open games up now.

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Yay! It works! (Takes a long time to get the games up but they do arrive eventually.)

Moylan - Elnami 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 f6 4.Bc4 Bb4+ 5.c3 Bd6 6.0-0 Nge7 7.dxe5 fxe5 8.Ng5 Rf8 9.Nxh7 Rh8 10.Qh5+ g6 11.Nf6+ Kf8 12.Qh6+! Rxh6 13.Bxh6# 1-0

Berezina has won on forfeit.

Caoili is winning - I thought she was losing but had the colours confused!

See if I can get the Open games up now.
If I remember correctly, you are on dial up, is that right?

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 01:24 AM
If I remember correctly, you are on dial up, is that right?

This is correct.

I'm still having hassles getting all the games even with Firefox. What happens is that when I start up the match window, some of the games load correctly and some just load as boards in start position. At one stage I had three of them up at once, but never all four. Also the moves on Smerdon's board don't make sense after a certain point.

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 01:28 AM
Reloading just fixed that problem. Now have all boards showing, a mere two and a half hours after the match started! :P

(At least we have internet on all boards this time.)

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 01:34 AM
This is correct.

I'm still having hassles getting all the games even with Firefox. What happens is that when I start up the match window, some of the games load correctly and some just load as boards in start position. At one stage I had three of them up at once, but never all four. Also the moves on Smerdon's board don't make sense after a certain point.
I would be surprised if Silveirinha did sac his queen for nothing much on move 19 against Smerdon :eek:

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Smerdon's game hasn't made sense since move 18 at which point he was winning.

Lane is better (move 24) if not considerably better.

Wohl (black) (move 22) played 1.Nf3 b5 2.e3 a6 :eek: He now has a very happy passed pawn and the nearest thing white has to a passed pawn is that lump of wood on c1.

Unless I'm missing something Speck's 20th wins a piece.

These comments are not computer-assisted hence may be total nonsense.

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Smerdon's game hasn't made sense since move 18 at which point he was winning.
Had his opponent played Rxd6 instead of the listed Qxc5, his opponent has chances according to Rybka beta version (Smerdon would be about 1 pawn ahead).

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 02:01 AM
Had his opponent played Rxd6 instead of the listed Qxc5, his opponent has chances according to Rybka beta version (Smerdon would be about 1 pawn ahead).

I wonder if that's actually what happened. It could have been mistakenly recorded as Qxc5 first if the c-pawn is dislodged and then White picks up the d-pawn prior to moving the rook to d6.

However at this level the advantage of two pieces for rook tends to be worth rather more than one pawn.

Speck's opponent needs resigning lessons.

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 02:28 AM
Wohl just won and I assume Speck also has as nothing has happened there for ages.

Leonid Sandler
22-05-2006, 03:14 AM
Hello from Torino 2006,
Just to let you guys know that our ladies team beat Lybia 3-0 .Players participated in the matchs were I.Berezina,L.Moylan,A.Caioli.Our mens team were winning against Macao.AWohl and N.Speck were the winners with two games in progress.

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 04:48 AM
random chance, thats what your chances are of getting the website to load correctly, now if I could just find the pairings link on the home page :eek:

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 04:50 AM
Speck's opponent needs resigning lessons.
clearly he read your comments on here because that game stopped soon after you said he needs lessons. ;) :cool:

gambitcrazy
22-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Aussie mens whitewash Macau, women whitewash Libya .. great start!

AND the NZ mens team almost pulls of the upset of the tourney!!! Mighty USA could only win one board, and the others were all drawn, go Kiwi ;)

jenni
22-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Turin is a fairly pricey city...not surprised the accomadation isnt top shelf.:whistle:

They are staying in the winter Olympics Athletes Village - only problem is everything got sold off at the end of the Olympics - Shaun claims even the toilet seats. No fridge, TV, kettle - just a bed and a table and chairs left in the rooms. Apparently the Russian team has already left for 5 star accommodation across the road. Anyway our lot will be able to concentrate on their chess without the distractions of modern conveniences. :cool:

The_Wise_Man
22-05-2006, 10:46 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great Result for New Zealand in going down 1.5 to 2.5 to the American powerhouse.... outrated heavily on all 4 boards... US took them too lightly...

If Australia meets the US, I think both Kamsky and Nakumura will play....

Zhao - Nakumura will be interesting with a little ICC history between them...
(Will let the board know the story if AUS v USA and these two meet).

Wise

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 10:58 AM
How about we have discussions on this thread during the tournament to avoid having about ten threads for the olympiad :)

What he said, and I have put a note in the thread title in the pious hope that this will be adhered to after having to merge two other threads already.

There will of course be newsbot newsflashes but please keep all discussion of results in here.

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 11:10 AM
The men are playing Romania.

1 GM Nisipeanu Liviu Dieter 2695 ROM 1202758 0.0
2 GM Istratescu Andrei 2621 ROM 1200372 0.0
3 GM Nevednichy Vladislav 2582 ROM 1205730 1.0
4 GM Marin Mihail 2538 ROM 1200020 1.0
5 GM Vajda Levente 2511 ROM 1203975 1.0
6 GM Parligras Mircea 2543 ROM 1204297 1.0

Hmmm. Six grandmasters. Didn't we beat this mob last time? :lol:

And now for something completely different. The women are also playing Romania.

1 IM Peptan Corina Isabela 2408 ROM 1201930 0.0
2 IM Foisor Cristina Adela 2392 ROM 1200496 1.0
3 WGM Bogza Adina Maria 2297 ROM 1206435 1.0
4 WGM Calotescu Ana Cristina 2325 ROM 1208063 1.0

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Blast from the past: 2004 Olympiad

1 GM Rogers Ian 2593 - GM Nisipeanu Liviu-Dieter 2687 1/2
2 GM Johansen Darryl K 2483 - GM Nevednichy Vladislav 2552 0-1
3 IM Zhao Zong-Yuan 2410 - GM Marin Mihail 2511 1-0
4 IM Smerdon David 2425 - IM Lupulescu Constantin 2560 1-0

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Great Result for New Zealand in going down 1.5 to 2.5 to the American powerhouse.... outrated heavily on all 4 boards... US took them too lightly...

Someone else who may have been taking their opponents too lightly was the second-seeded Indian team astonishingly losing 1-3 to Morocco!

2.1 GM Hamdouchi Hichem 2559 - GM Harikrishna P 2680 ½ - ½
2.2 FM Elbilia Jacques 2333 - GM Ganguly Surya Shekhar 2578 ½ - ½
2.3 Karim Ismael 2250 - GM Sandipan Chanda 2550 1 - 0
2.4 FM Arbouche Muhamed 2248 - Singh D P 2395 1 - 0

:eek:

and also Azerbaijan fielding 3 GMs and one untitled were held 2-2 by the mighty Mongolians (2FMs, 2 untitled)!

pballard
22-05-2006, 11:29 AM
using mozilla I am now able to see all four of Open Australia's games. Rogers is sitting out round 1.

http://www1.chessolympiad-torino2006.org:8080/sungam/indRoundG.do?round=1

Nothing there now. Are the games anywhere else? Plain old pgn is fine (better, in fact).

Ian Rout
22-05-2006, 11:33 AM
As the main interest in the first round, apart from the Australian teams and people we know (incidentally PNG got flogged by Paraguay, I don't think that's been mentioned yet) is the upsets, I had a look for the worst-performing favourites and came up with these:

Sudan - Nigeria - 3
India - Morocco 1 - 3
Azerbaijan - Mongolia 2 - 2
Tunisia - Ethiopia 2 - 2
USA - New Zealand 2 - 1
Cuba - Algeria 2 - 1
Belarus - Wales 2 - 1
Czech Republic - El Salvador 2 - 1
Slovenia - Tajikistan 2 - 1
Portugal - Cyprus 2 - 1

The first one isn't entirely genuine, although it's true the rating favourite lost, since it looks like both teams came late, missed the main draw and were paired together.

For the Women

Serbia & Montenegro - Venezuela 1 - 2
Slovakia - Indonesia 2 - 1
Spain - Luxembourg 2 - 1
Argentina - Jamaica 2 - 1
Macedonia - Panama 2 - 1

So only one real upset in each section, plus a couple of ties and a few closer than expected.

Seeing Wales on the list reminds of an incident from 2004, which I think I read in one of the British magazines, in which one of the Welsh players allegedly refused to play because he was getting too many Blacks. He appears not to be in the team this time.

four four two
22-05-2006, 11:44 AM
The funny thing is Ian,Nigeria only used one of their IM's against Sudan...and he was the guy who drew!:D

four four two
22-05-2006, 12:04 PM
They are staying in the winter Olympics Athletes Village - only problem is everything got sold off at the end of the Olympics - Shaun claims even the toilet seats. No fridge, TV, kettle - just a bed and a table and chairs left in the rooms. Apparently the Russian team has already left for 5 star accommodation across the road. Anyway our lot will be able to concentrate on their chess without the distractions of modern conveniences. :cool:

Why am I not surprised the italians sold half the stuff in the rooms.:lol: ;)

four four two
22-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Did Berezina's opponent play an actual game against her or was it a forfeit?:hmm:

Kevin Bonham
22-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Did Berezina's opponent play an actual game against her or was it a forfeit?:hmm:

Forfeit.

Watto
22-05-2006, 01:42 PM

For those of you who haven’t seen the detail… just have to post this: :)
66. USA (2.5 / 1.5)
Bo. Name Rtg FED FideID 1 2 Pts. RtgAvg
2 GM Onischuk Alexander 2650 USA 14101025 1/2 0.5 2337
4 GM Ibragimov Ildar 2637 USA 4102878 1/2 0.5 2345
5 GM Kaidanov Gregory 2603 USA 2008564 1 1.0 2322
6 GM Akobian Varuzhan 2575 USA 13300580 1/2 0.5 2335

76. New Zealand (1.5 / 2.5)
Bo. Name Rtg FED FideID 1 2 Pts. RtgAvg
1 IM Ker Anthony 2337 NZL 4300084 1/2 0.5 2650
2 IM Garbett Paul 2345 NZL 4300122 1/2 0.5 2637
3 FM Nokes Roger 2322 NZL 4300068 0 0.0 2603
4 IM Dive Russell 2335 NZL 4300106 1/2 0.5 2575

MichaelBaron
22-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Draw against Romania will be a great result

Jesse Jager
22-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Is rogers playing in this event?

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Pairings for round two.

Weird, seems like some teams have been allocated to tables out of score order ie Israel 3.5 v Italy A is match seven, even though it is in the middle of all the teams on 4 :hmm: this occurs a few times in the open section draw.

Ian Rout
22-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Pairings for round two.

Weird, seems like some teams have been allocated to tables out of score order ie Israel 3.5 v Italy A is match seven, even though it is in the middle of all the teams on 4 :hmm: this occurs a few times in the open section draw.
I assume this is to give the home team a good position for spectators.

(Edit) Also the blind team would need to be located on the Braille boards.

Ian Rout
22-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Is rogers playing in this event?
Yes. Teams have six players but each match is four boards so there are two reserves. Top players often sit out the first round, which is against one of the minnows.

Bill Gletsos
22-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Pairings for round two.

Weird, seems like some teams have been allocated to tables out of score order ie Israel 3.5 v Italy A is match seven, even though it is in the middle of all the teams on 4 :hmm: this occurs a few times in the open section draw.It was the same in round 1. Italy A are on the boards allocated for match 7.

WhiteElephant
22-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Am I the only one finding the official site shockingly difficult to navigate? I've spent 10 minutes and still can't find the results and draws. Also, are there any pics of the olympiad anywhere? I know it's only the second day but some pics would be good, Calvia did a great job of putting up pics and news almost as they occurred. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Gletsos
22-05-2006, 02:52 PM
try http://schach.wienerzeitung.at/tnr3410.aspx?tnr=3410&art=2&rd=1&lan=1&flag=30 for the results and round pairings

Ian Rout
22-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Am I the only one finding the official site shockingly difficult to navigate? I've spent 10 minutes and still can't find the results and draws. Also, are there any pics of the olympiad anywhere? I know it's only the second day but some pics would be good, Calvia did a great job of putting up pics and news almost as they occurred. Any help would be appreciated.

I have bookmarked a couple of convenient Wiener Zeitung pages from which it's a convenient jump to any other relevant page.

http://schach.wienerzeitung.at/tnr3410.aspx?tnr=3410&art=2&rd=1&lan=1&flag=30

http://schach.wienerzeitung.at/tnr3411.aspx?tnr=3411&art=2&rd=1&lan=1&flag=30

WhiteElephant
22-05-2006, 02:55 PM
try http://schach.wienerzeitung.at/tnr3410.aspx?tnr=3410&art=2&rd=1&lan=1&flag=30 for the results and round pairings

Thanks, that's a great link.

Igor_Goldenberg
22-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Any links for the games?

Bill Gletsos
22-05-2006, 03:07 PM
When in progress live games are at http://www1.chessolympiad-torino2006.org:8080/sungam/start.do

Igor_Goldenberg
22-05-2006, 03:09 PM
When in progress live games are at http://www1.chessolympiad-torino2006.org:8080/sungam/start.do

Thanks, Bill. Any archives?

Bill Gletsos
22-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks, Bill. Any archives?Not that I have currently found.

Ian Rout
22-05-2006, 04:46 PM
As a result of first round over/under achievements a couple of interesting pairings have emerged for Round 2. Cuba (seeded 18) is matched with Czech Republic (20), and the USA can try to atone for its performance against the Kiwis when it meets the giant-killing Moroccans.

Also some cut-throat matches on the lower boards should start to clarify who are the genuine contenders for the wooden spoon.

Any other thoughts on results to watch for?

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Any other thoughts on results to watch for?
In these international team competitions, I look for the pairings that could have some niggle factor due to events away from chess.

Womens: Board 13, Greece v Turkey

antichrist
22-05-2006, 05:28 PM
In these international team competitions, I look for the pairings that could have some niggle factor due to events away from chess.

Womens: Board 13, Greece v Turkey

Haven't they made peace over Cyprus?

MichaelBaron
22-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Game of chess is a friendly activity that brings chess-players from all over the world together. As far as I know chess-players are generally friendly towards one another irrespectively of nationality (e.g. Mamedyarov from Azerbajan and Aronian from Armenia). Thus, the Turkey-Greece paring will have no special significance for the players:eek:

Rincewind
22-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Game of chess is a friendly activity that brings chess-players from all over the world together. As far as I know chess-players are generally friendly towards one another irrespectively of nationality (e.g. Mamedyarov from Azerbajan and Aronian from Armenia). Thus, the Turkey-Greece paring will have no special significance for the players:eek:

Turkey and Greece are not nearly as acrimonious as people imagine, at least diplomatically, they are both EU members. However, the gens una sumus was not nearly as apparent at the recent FIDE world championship in Libya.

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Turkey and Greece are not nearly as acrimonious as people imagine, at least diplomatically, they are both EU members. However, the gens una sumus was not nearly as apparent at the recent FIDE world championship in Libya.
yeah, i am waiting for Libya v Israel ;)

Rincewind
22-05-2006, 06:24 PM

I don't think it is the players who created the problem, it was the environment. In Torino I would not expect there to be a problem. I believe boycotting players would have playing the the world championship too had the alternate venue of Malta worked out for the organisers.

1min_grandmaster
22-05-2006, 07:45 PM

I'm sure this is a barred pairing for obvious reasons. Actually I would love to know all the barred pairings for this tournament.

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm sure this is a barred pairing for obvious reasons. Actually I would love to know all the barred pairings for this tournament.
I am sure we will find out later in the tournament. Does anyone want me to run swiss master 5 to compare with the swiss manager pairings. Might give us an idea of which pairings are banned, if any?

Ian Rout
22-05-2006, 10:02 PM
The obvious reason that I can think of is that they will be at opposite ends of the table - already they are 3.5 points apart. So we will probably never know if it isn't made public.

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Is anyone seeing games atm?

WhiteElephant
22-05-2006, 11:31 PM
No...grrrr

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 11:32 PM
No...grrrr
thought so, crap website for seeing the games.

WhiteElephant
22-05-2006, 11:32 PM
ICC now relaying some games but no Aus games yet.

Garvinator
22-05-2006, 11:35 PM
ICC now relaying some games but no Aus games yet.
I actually liked the presentation of the games on the main site, when I could get in that is :eek:

Garvinator
23-05-2006, 12:04 AM
I actually liked the presentation of the games on the main site, when I could get in that is :eek:
ok this website is crap. Still cant get in. Clearly the organisers werent prepared for so many people trying to access the website during the showing of the games.

The website is accessible during off peak times for the tournament.

Carl Gorka
23-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Games for Aus being relayed on playchess server at the moment. I'll have a look:)

Carl Gorka
23-05-2006, 12:20 AM
Rogers-Istracescu looks like a fairly standard Maroczy/Kan.

Smerdon is playing the Black side of Reversed Sicilian with ...d5.

Zhao is playing the White side of an Exchange Queen's Gambit. Looks as if dark squared bishops are just about to be exchanged....whatever that means???

And Lane has the Black side of a Spanish. White has 2 bishops but Lane looks ok to me at the moment, but I don't have much experience of Closed Spanish types of position.

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Another day another download. :rolleyes:

Now downloading playchess thingy to see if I can watch the games there. On the main site after >1 hr of trying couldn't get anywhere useful.

Carl Gorka
23-05-2006, 12:49 AM
All games still in the balance, but Zhao looks to have made a funny decision to me.

IM Zhao,Zong-Yuan(AUS) (2452) - GM Vajda,Levente(ROM) (2511)
WCO 2006 Italy (2), 22.05.2006
[Robot 1]

1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.cxd5 exd5 5.Bg5 Be7 6.e3 0-0 7.Bd3 c6 8.Qc2 Nbd7 9.Nf3 Re8 10.0-0 Nf8 11.h3 Be6 12.Rfe1 Rc8 13.a3 Nh5 14.Bf4 Nxf4 15.exf4 Bd6 16.Qd2 Line

is the game so far, but White would have just been level after 14.Bxe7 I think. I don't know too much about these positions but Black looks fine to me?

Carl Gorka
23-05-2006, 12:51 AM

Now downloading playchess thingy to see if I can watch the games there. On the main site after >1 hr of trying couldn't get anywhere useful.

It's running fine on playchess, but there are only a limited number of games on show so the Aus games may not be on for every round......unless they play really well....

Carl Gorka
23-05-2006, 12:54 AM
Looks like Parligras-Lane is a draw:)

Garvinator
23-05-2006, 12:58 AM

i have just given up on the main website. Quite simply not good enough. So you can add the website to the other gripes.

Carl Gorka
23-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Right time for bed with Ian a bit better, but David and Zhao in difficult positions.

Good luck Aus:)

MichaelBaron
23-05-2006, 01:15 AM

Chess is an Intellectual Sport....so Muslim States can get to to play Israel...in the 1st round:hmm:

Beyond the first round....hmm doubtful

Bill Gletsos
23-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Ian seems to be well on top of his 2621 rated opponent.

[White "GM Rogers, Ian(AUS)"]
[Black "GM Istratescu, Andrei(ROM)"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 a6 5. c4 Nf6 6. Nc3 Qc7 7. Bd3 Nc6 8. Be3 Bb4 9. O-O Bxc3 10. bxc3 Ne5 11. Qe2 Neg4 12. f4 d6 13. Bd2 e5 14. h3 Qc5 15. hxg4 Nxg4 16. fxe5 dxe5 17. Be3 exd4 18. cxd4 Qe7 19. c5 O-O 20. Rf3 b6 21. cxb6 Qd6 22. Rf4 Nxe3 23. Qxe3 Qxb6 24. e5 Be6 25. Rh4 h6 26. Qe4 Rfd8 27. Rb1 Qa5 28. Qh7+ Kf8 29. Qh8+ Ke7 30. Qxg7 Rab8 31. Rf1 Rg8 32. Qf6+ Ke8 33. Be4 *

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 02:09 AM
Yes, I just had a look at that one (before I made the fatal mistake of trying to watch two games at once, seemed Playchess is just as memory-hungry as Fritz for my poor ageing relic) and it looked like Ian had that under control.

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 02:28 AM
Probably on for 1.5/4 at the moment. Lane has drawn, Rogers is winning, Zhao and Smerdon are in trouble.

Garvinator
23-05-2006, 02:36 AM
Probably on for 1.5/4 at the moment. Lane has drawn, Rogers is winning, Zhao and Smerdon are in trouble.
Finally been able to get in on the main site, Smerdon draw.

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 02:36 AM
Even the official results site is asleep. Wanted to see if the women were faring any better but nothing doing.

Garvinator
23-05-2006, 02:42 AM
Win for Rogers and draws for Lane, Smerdon. So worst is 2-2.

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 02:47 AM
Finally been able to get in on the main site, Smerdon draw.

:eek: Wonder why. Probably shows you how little I understand the position.

I'm waiting to see if the boards will load on the main site now. I've got the grey boards with java symbol showing so maybe I'll get to see some chess there soon.

Garvinator
23-05-2006, 02:50 AM
:eek: Wonder why. Probably shows you how little I understand the position.

I'm waiting to see if the boards will load on the main site now. I've got the grey boards with java symbol showing so maybe I'll get to see some chess there soon.
I cant get to the womens' games no matter what route I try on the main site.

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 02:54 AM
In the Smerdon game it looks like he was getting that pawn he was "down" back by force quite easily. Ian's win was great, he ran the guy ragged at the end.

This is great! Even a draw against this mob is a good result. You'd think that after last time they would at least do us the honour of fielding their best team to try to crush us like bugs, apparently not, ah well. :hmm:

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 03:09 AM
I'm not convinced Zhao is in trouble now either (move 59). It looks much better to me at a quick look than when he had 2Ns vs 2Bs and that passed pawn to blockade all the time earlier.

Garvinator
23-05-2006, 03:10 AM
I'm not convinced Zhao is in trouble now either (move 59). It looks much better to me at a quick look than when he had 2Ns vs 2Bs and that passed pawn to blockade all the time earlier.
3-1 for Australia. :clap: :clap: :clap: bunch of bunnies these 6 GM teams;) :uhoh:

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 03:12 AM
Incredible! We beat them again! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Garvinator
23-05-2006, 03:14 AM
Incredible! We beat them again! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I think next time we will get their top 4 :cool: :whistle:

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 03:16 AM
I think next time we will get their top 4 :cool: :whistle:

and beat them 3.5-0.5.

I'm going to start analysing these right away.

Garvinator
23-05-2006, 03:18 AM
and beat them 3.5-0.5.

I'm going to start analysing these right away.
well for round 3 we should be on about board 15 and 7 points. Still have no idea how the women are doing :hmm:

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 03:47 AM
Zhao-Vajda

1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.cxd5 exd5 5.Bg5 Be7 6.e3 0-0 7.Bd3 c6 8.Qc2 Nbd7 9.Nf3 Re8 10.0-0 Nf8 11.h3 Be6 12.Rfe1 Rc8 13.a3 Nh5 14.Bf4 Nxf4 15.exf4 Bd6 16.Qd2 f6 17.Ne2 Qc7 18.f5 Bf7 19.g4 Re7 20.Kg2 Rce8 21.Ng3 Bf4 22.Qc3 Nd7 23.Rxe7 Rxe7 24.Re1 Rxe1 25.Qxe1 c5 26.Ne2 Bd6 27.Nc3 Qd8 28.Nb5 Bb8 29.dxc5 Nxc5 30.Qe3 Qb6 31.b4 Nxd3 32.Qxd3 h6 33.Nbd4 Be5 34.Qe3 Qd6 35.Nb5 Qd7 36.Nbd4 Bc7 37.Ne6 Bb6 38.Nfd4 Qc8 39.Qf4 Bxd4 40.Nxd4 Qe8 41.Qe3 Qd7 42.Kg3 Kf8 43.Qf4 Qd8 44.a4 a5 45.bxa5 Kg8 46.Qd2 Qd6+ 47.Kg2 Be8 48.Qe3 Bd7 49.Nb5 Qb4 50.Qd4 Qb3 51.Nc3 Bc6 52.Kg3 Kh7 53.Kh4 Qb2 54.Qe3 Qa1 55.Qd4 Qb2 56.Nb5 Qe2 57.Nc7 Qf3 58.Ne6 Kg8 59.Qe3 Qg2 60.Qg3 Qxg3+ 61.Kxg3 Bxa4 62.Nd8 Kf8 63.Nxb7 Bc6 64.Nc5 d4 65.Ne6+ 1-0

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 03:59 AM
I'm also not going to claim to understand White's 14th. Around move 30 I thought White was looking dodgy with the 2Bs vs 2Ns and the passed pawn to stop, but it is actually pretty easy to hold and the 2Bs are not that hot on the relatively closed board. 44...a5 appears to just chuck a pawn away since he can't take it back because Qb8+ is too much. That doesn't appear to give White a won game right away and indeed it looks quite drawish until Black starts mucking around with the queen. Fritz likes 58...h5! for Black. After missing that Black is in trouble, but I wonder why White did not play 60.Qc5 winning queen or mating. Time to calculate, I guess, or maybe the moves aren't quite correct somewhere. Anyway I can't see any hope for Black after exchanging into the minor piece ending. So Zhao was never in any real trouble and ended up winning because the opponent went on a silly queen expedition.

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 04:07 AM
Marin - Smerdon [A29]

1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.g3 d5 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.Bg2 Nb6 7.0-0 Be7 8.a3 0-0 9.b4 Be6 10.Rb1 f6 11.d3 a5 12.b5 Nd4 13.Nd2 c6 14.e3 Nxb5 15.Nxb5 cxb5 16.Rxb5 Nd5 17.Bb2 Rb8 18.d4 exd4 19.Bxd4 b6 20.Qh5 f5 21.a4 Nb4 22.Re5 Bd7 23.Qd1 Bf6 24.Qb3+ Kh8 25.Nc4 Nc6 26.Bxc6 Bxc6 27.Rxf5 Bxd4 28.Rxf8+ Qxf8 29.exd4 Qf7 30.Qc3 Qd5 31.f3 Bxa4 -

Black was really fine here - even when he was a pawn down he was always going to get it back. Black actually looks rather better in the final position.

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 04:26 AM
Rogers - Istratescu

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 a6 5.c4 Nf6 6.Nc3 Qc7 7.Bd3 Nc6 8.Be3 Bb4 9.0-0 Bxc3 10.bxc3 Ne5 11.Qe2 Neg4 12.f4 d6 13.Bd2 e5 14.h3 Qc5 15.hxg4 Nxg4 16.fxe5 dxe5 17.Be3 exd4 18.cxd4 Qe7 19.c5 0-0 20.Rf3 b6 21.cxb6 Qd6 22.Rf4 Nxe3 23.Qxe3 Qxb6 24.e5 Be6 25.Rh4 h6 26.Qe4 Rfd8 27.Rb1 Qa5 28.Qh7+ Kf8 29.Qh8+ Ke7 30.Qxg7 Rab8 31.Rf1 Rg8 32.Qf6+ Ke8 33.Be4 Qc3 34.Kh1 Rd8 35.Rxh6 Rxd4 36.Bf3 Kd7 37.Rh7 Kc8 38.Qh6 Qc5 39.Rc1 Rc4 40.Rxc4 Qxc4 41.Qe3 Rd8 42.Be2 Qc6 43.Rh4 Bd5 44.Qa7 Bxg2+ 45.Kh2 Re8 46.Rc4 1-0

I get the feeling 14...Qc5 (instead of 14...exd4) is inaccurate since the queen then gets kicked around irrespective of whether Black follows up by taking on d4 or f4. White has a clear edge after this and Black ends up just getting walloped. (My ancient Fritz reckons Black is getting back into it around move 37; I'm just not convinced it smells the coffee).

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 04:31 AM
Parligras - Lane

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3 Na5 10.Bc2 c5 11.d4 Nd7 12.Nbd2 exd4 13.cxd4 Nc6 14.d5 Nce5 15.Nxe5 Nxe5 16.f4 Ng6 17.Nf3 Bh4 18.Nxh4 Qxh4 19.f5 Ne5 20.Rf1 Re8 21.Bf4 Bd7 22.Qd2 Qe7 23.a4 -

Leonid Sandler
23-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Hello all,
Our ladies team lost to very strong romanian team
Ngan scored half a point,Irina and Laura lost their games.
In round three we will fare better against Luxemburg.An excellent win against Romania by our mens team.Total combined score 3,5-3,5

arosar
23-05-2006, 07:15 AM
TCG has a man in Torino.

Former winner of the Koshnitsky Medal, Larry Ermacora, is on the spot writing short dailies! Go to blog now.

AR

Watto
23-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks for posting the games, Kevin. Since the main site is so crap and viewing games is a major struggle (they need some help from pax I'd say), it's a nice surprise to see them here. What a great result!!

Igor_Goldenberg
23-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Kevin,

where do you get the games?

Igor_Goldenberg
23-05-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm also not going to claim to understand White's 14th.

Zhao admits it's a mistake.
Sometimes allowing this exchange (on f4) is not a bad idea, but you usually need specific reasons for that.

pax
23-05-2006, 10:26 AM
What an incredible result! Props to all the players, but especially Rogers for such a crushing win.

Australia has Uzbekistan in round 3. A pretty fortunate pairing, and definitely beatable - Australia could easily have had a more difficult opponent on 5 or 5.5 (Romania for example!).

Rogers should be gearing up to face Rustam (who hasn't played yet). Barsov will probably be rested after two draws against much weaker players. We might also see board 6 Kayumov play his first, although it seems strange that he didn't play against the very weak opponents in Rd 1 and 2.

Carl Gorka
23-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Amazing!!! I go to bed thinking Aus is fighting for a draw and wake to see a 3-1 win.:D

Don't know how Zhao won, though:eek:

Carl Gorka
23-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Kevin,

Go to TWIC for pgn files, or playchess to see the games. They have about 40 games on show so tonight Aus games will defo be transmitted live:)

DoroPhil
23-05-2006, 11:22 AM
3-1!! Brilliant!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

7 out of 8 to start with!! Is this the best ever??

Phil Bourke
23-05-2006, 11:22 AM
A great day for the Aussies. Noticed that Shaun Press got a draw for his 'adopted' team.
Just checking, but what time (EST) are the games played?

pax
23-05-2006, 11:35 AM
A great day for the Aussies. Noticed that Shaun Press got a draw for his 'adopted' team.

Since he was born in PNG, I think it is Australia that is his 'adopted' country.

Ian Rout
23-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Shaun disputes that PNG were flogged by Paraguay in Round 1 and says that the 0-4 score is not a true reflection of the competitiveness of the match. On that subject PNG has the second-most competitive pairing of Round 3, namely Guernsey (133) v PNG (138) which is beaten only by Poland (21) v Greece (22).

At the other end of the scale the biggest mismatch is Azerbaijan (9) v Iraq (129).

Carl Gorka
23-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Just checking, but what time (EST) are the games played?

11pm I think

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Kevin,

I managed to get on to the main site not long before the games finished. Finding no way to download them I transcribed them off the screen by hand. ;)

I don't think I'll be up watching tonight - have to work at 8 am tomorrow.

I don't want to give away too many goodies from the mailout since everyone who hasn't done so already should donate $50 or more to the Olympiad fund and get their own, but Zhao analyses 14...exd4 15.cxd4 (a piece sac for a truly massive centre) as winning for White in the Rogers game. I did look at this last night and thought White had a lot of compensation but could not say for sure that it was winning. So it looks (to me) like White was already well on top by move 14. And yes the blunders all over the place at the end of the Zhao game were caused by both sides being in terrible time trouble.

If someone could post all our games tonight to this thread after they are over I'd be very grateful.

Igor_Goldenberg
23-05-2006, 11:54 AM
I managed to get on to the main site not long before the games finished. Finding no way to download them I transcribed them off the screen by hand. ;)

I don't think I'll be up watching tonight - have to work at 8 am tomorrow.

I don't want to give away too many goodies from the mailout since everyone who hasn't done so already should donate $50 or more to the Olympiad fund and get their own, but Zhao analyses 14...exd4 15.cxd4 (a piece sac for a truly massive centre) as winning for White in the Rogers game. I did look at this last night and thought White had a lot of compensation but could not say for sure that it was winning. So it looks (to me) like White was already well on top by move 14. And yes the blunders all over the place at the end of the Zhao game were caused by both sides being in terrible time trouble.

If someone could post all our games tonight to this thread after they are over I'd be very grateful.

Mailout only had Rogers' game (which is very intresting!)

Kevin Bonham
23-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Australia has Uzbekistan in round 3. A pretty fortunate pairing, and definitely beatable - Australia could easily have had a more difficult opponent on 5 or 5.5 (Romania for example!).

We played Uzbekistan last time as well and lost 1.5-2.5 with Johansen getting a draw with the then-FIDE world champ Kasimdzhanov on board 1. I remember watching that game online.

pax
23-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Shaun disputes that PNG were flogged by Paraguay in Round 1 and says that the 0-4 score is not a true reflection of the competitiveness of the match. On that subject PNG has the second-most competitive pairing of Round 3, namely Guernsey (133) v PNG (138) which is beaten only by Poland (21) v Greece (22).

At the other end of the scale the biggest mismatch is Azerbaijan (9) v Iraq (129).

You're starting to sound like Starter there Ian :eek:

Oepty
23-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Great results defeating Romania. Getting a great start like this will also help with any norm chances.

A couple of other results that might be interesting.
New Zealand defeated Ethiopia 4-0
Indonesia held Bulgaria to 2-2
PNG down 1-3 to Nepal.
and the biggest up set of the day
Portugal - Azerbaijan 3:

WhiteElephant
23-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Portugal - Azerbaijan 3:

Azeri young studs out partying? :)

four four two
23-05-2006, 01:33 PM

Turkey isnt an EU member yet.:eh:

AC,you might be interested to know Lebanon has a womens IM playing on board 4 of the mens team. They havnt fielded a womens team.
They are currently on 2.5 out of 8.

Ian Rout
23-05-2006, 01:55 PM
You're starting to sound like Starter there Ian :eek:
Someone has to do it, since the real Starter isn't. I don't know why, there's a whole new world of statistics here. Perhaps he just can't decide where to start.

Bill Gletsos
23-05-2006, 02:08 PM

At the other end of the scale the biggest mismatch is Azerbaijan (9) v Iraq (129).The biggest mismatch in the 2nd round was Nigeria (147) v Armenia (3). Even so the Nigerians manages to score one draw.

pax
23-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Portugal - Azerbaijan 3½: ½

It's not such an upset given that the Azeris gave a free point on board four.

There's a few things I want to know about this:

-Why isn't Mamedyarov in the team?

-What on earth are they doing with a sub-2200 player in the team? Is he the team sponsor? If so, why is he playing games against GMs?

-Why haven't Radjabov and Gashimov played a game yet?

It's a shame, because Azerbaijan were once (and perhaps still are) the most promising team in world chess.

arosar
23-05-2006, 03:09 PM
-Why isn't Mamedyarov in the team?

Because of a dispute:

http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/2006/03/mammadyarov-angry-at-fed.html

AR

Watto
23-05-2006, 03:11 PM
-What on earth are they doing with a sub-2200 player in the team? Is he the team sponsor? If so, why is he playing games against GMs?
If you're talking about Vasif Durarbeyli, I doubt whether he's their team sponsor.... he played in the World Youth Under 12s in November 2004. So he's their Raymond Song I guess (or Moulthun Ly :))

pax
23-05-2006, 03:42 PM
If you're talking about Vasif Durarbeyli, I doubt whether he's their team sponsor.... he played in the World Youth Under 12s in November 2004. So he's their Raymond Song I guess (or Moulthun Ly :))

Ah. That's better at least than the team sponsor angle.

It seems like a strange policy for a team that has (or had) real hopes of a top five finish.

pax
23-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Because of a dispute:

http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/2006/03/mammadyarov-angry-at-fed.html

AR

Any idea which players he believes are discriminated against? Perhaps it is the 'old' players given the Durarbeyli situation. I wouldn't have thought discrimination against oldies would be a problem in a country where the top eight players are all under 33 years and the top four under 22.

Edit:

Oh, I see. The dispute is over the women's team - they selected a weak team, omitting at least one of Mamedyarov's sisters and several other top players.

four four two
23-05-2006, 04:00 PM
The biggest mismatch in the 2nd round was Nigeria (147) v Armenia (3). Even so the Nigerians manages to score one draw.

The other nigerian IM who has his rating missing,Adu Oladapo, has beaten a player above 2600 before. He hasnt played a game yet in the olympiad.;)

I see Pakistan,Somalia and Sierre Leone havnt been paired with any other country yet...is this because they have arrived late in Italy or because they have gone walkabout?:hmm:

WhiteElephant
23-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I didn't see Pablo Williams in the Jamaican team. Maybe he was rested for the first 2 rounds? :)

Ian Rout
23-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I see Pakistan,Somalia and Sierre Leone havnt been paired with any other country yet...is this because they have arrived late in Italy or because they have gone walkabout?:hmm:
Sierre Leone had only three players listed so were probably always unlikely.

Pakistan is more of a surprise, I think they have competed before.

Garvinator
23-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I would not be surprised if the Somalia and Sierra Leone teams are going to try and get asylum in Italy after the tournament is over. Sierra Leone athletes are trying from the Commonwealth Games. So it is no surprise if they have gone missing :uhoh:

four four two
23-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I didn't see Pablo Williams in the Jamaican team. Maybe he was rested for the first 2 rounds? :)

I believe that he will be rested for at least the next 2 olympiads WE...:D

MichaelBaron
23-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Williams is an extremely weak player even by Jamaican standards. 1600 ACF or so

jase
23-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Williams is an extremely weak player even by Jamaican standards. 1600 ACF or so

Thank you for your levity Michael.
I'd say "it's a joke, Joyce", but you wouldn't get that either ... :lol:

antichrist
23-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Turkey isnt an EU member yet.:eh:

AC,you might be interested to know Lebanon has a womens IM playing on board 4 of the mens team. They havnt fielded a womens team.
They are currently on 2.5 out of 8.

Could be a Russian who was jilted by some GM and ending up marrying a Lebo I think (good substitute anyway)

four four two
23-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Could be a Russian who was jilted by some GM and ending up marrying a Lebo I think (good substitute anyway)

Her surname looks armenian...:hmm:
Might still be born and bred rather than import.:hmm:

pax
23-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Board draw:

IM Smerdon David 2460 - GM Kasimdzhanov Rustam 2673
IM Zhao Zong-Yuan 2452 - GM Gareyev Timur 2522
IM Wohl Aleksandar 2432 - IM Filippov Anton 2497
Speck Nick 2389 - IM Kayumov Sergey 2426

The Uzbekis are pretty much as I predicted. A bit surprised to see Rogers missing out after his crushing win today - he is normally really great at squeezing half a point (sometimes more) out of super GMs. Either he isn't well, or perhaps Smerdon was really itching to have a go at Kasim.

This is a big round for Nick and Alex. A good result here could set either of them up for a good Olympiad.

Garvinator
23-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Australia Women

LUX Luxembourg (LUX) v AUS Australia (AUS)

Steil-Antoni Fiona 1968 - IM Berezina Irina 2281
Boyarchenko Marie 0 - WIM Caoili Arianne 2169
Bakalarz Janet 0 - WIM Phan-Koshnitsky Ngan 2181

Watto
23-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Good news. The official site has the games from round one and two. Under live games.
Live games for the women for round 3 are up. The open teams seem to be stuck on round 2 for the moment.
http://www3.chessolympiad-torino2006.org/sungam/indRoundG2.do.htm

WhiteElephant
23-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah, no action on the official site, ICC not relaying Smerdon - Kasim. Looks like I'll have to download playchess.

Carl Gorka
23-05-2006, 11:29 PM
playchess is having probs as well at the moment:(

Watto
23-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah, no action on the official site, ICC not relaying Smerdon - Kasim. Looks like I'll have to download playchess.
The correct pairings have just appeared. The games are up!

pax
23-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Good news. The official site has the games from round one and two. Under live games.
Live games for the women for round 3 are up. The open teams seem to be stuck on round 2 for the moment.
http://www3.chessolympiad-torino2006.org/sungam/indRoundG2.do.htm

I'm not sure - when you click on the Australia-Romania match you get different (but partial) games.

I'm guessing they have the right (Rd 3) games, but with the wrong associations. Thus if the round order is correct, it might be the Germany-Canada match that is actually Australia-Uzbekistan.

pax
23-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Bingo! It is there - player names and all. Just click on Ger-Can.

Basil
23-05-2006, 11:33 PM

Are you it wasn't the site that took exception to your dial-up? :)

Carl Gorka
23-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Games coming through on playchess now. But still no Smerdon game....

pax
23-05-2006, 11:43 PM
http://www3.chessolympiad-torino2006.org/sungam/match.php?naz1=GERMANY&naz2=CANADA&data=23-05-2006&round=2&codP1=1030051&codP2=1030052&codP3=1030053&codP4=1030054&dataOdierna=2305

Smerdon has played 17 moves already. Must have prepared thoroughly.

Bill Gletsos
24-05-2006, 12:17 AM
AR will no doubt find Paragua V Kamsky of interest on playchess.

Phil Bourke
24-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Has FICS gone mad or is Smerdon really a piece up?

Garvinator
24-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Has FICS gone mad or is Smerdon really a piece up?
Main site is showing same. I think it must be a display error.

Watto
24-05-2006, 01:08 AM
hehe. Appreciate the gesture but drug should tell his son to treat Kasimdzhanov's rooks with more respect... ! ;)

Garvinator
24-05-2006, 01:10 AM
hehe. Appreciate the gesture but drug should tell his son to treat Kasimdzhanov's rooks with more respect... ! ;)
Display has now been corrected.

Brian_Jones
24-05-2006, 08:45 AM
The Uzbekis are pretty much as I predicted. A bit surprised to see Rogers missing out after his crushing win today - he is normally really great at squeezing half a point (sometimes more) out of super GMs. Either he isn't well, or perhaps Smerdon was really itching to have a go at Kasim.

This is a missed opportunity by Australia. Either Ian is ill or the captain picked the wrong team. I would have played Rogers, Smerdon, Zhao, Wohl. We might have got 2-2 or better!

four four two
24-05-2006, 10:06 AM
This is a missed opportunity by Australia. Either Ian is ill or the captain picked the wrong team. I would have played Rogers, Smerdon, Zhao, Wohl. We might have got 2-2 or better!

Brian,while we were all happy with the result against Romania lets put things in perspective. Uzbekistan is a very solid team with alot more experience than us. Their players are far more active at this level and as the tournament goes on their results will show that. They scored 7/8 by beating one of the italian teams...we scored 7/8 by beating Macau.

Scoring 1.5 against Uzbekistan would realistically have been the best we could dream of. I wasnt expecting Australia to score more than 1 point and Smerdon's draw will significantly boost his performance rating ...making another GM norm a real possibility.:clap:

Its good to barrack for Australia,but lets not build expectations too high.
I will be very happy if any of the IM's gets a GM norm and if Speck gets an IM norm. Seeing as our ranking was 50th coming into the tournament finishing 35th- 40th wouldnt be a disappointment to me.

Brian_Jones
24-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Its good to barrack for Australia,but lets not build expectations too high.

Spoken like a true loser!

jenni
24-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Scoring 1.5 against Uzbekistan would realistically have been the best we could dream of. I wasnt expecting Australia to score more than 1 point and Smerdon's draw will significantly boost his performance rating ...making another GM norm a real possibility.:clap:

It's more than another GM norm surely? A 9 game GM norm at Turin will give him a 20 game norm and thus the GM title as soon as his rating goes over 2500?

Had the daily e-mail today and David wrote it - it was hilarious. Apparently he had hordes of big names watching the game - talk about pressure. :)

WhiteElephant
24-05-2006, 10:32 AM
I am not 100% sure but didn't we do quite well against Uzbekistan last Olympiad?

four four two
24-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Spoken like a true loser!

Spoken like a realist.:P

Brian ,where do you honestly expect Australia to finish in the olympiad?:hmm:

Top 30?:hmm:

If we were scoring 2 points on a regular basis against teams like Uzbekistan we would be finishing around 20th if not higher.

Make a prediction Brian as to where Australia will finish.
Then we will see if your prediction comes closer to reality.

four four two
24-05-2006, 10:43 AM
I am not 100% sure but didn't we do quite well against Uzbekistan last Olympiad?

We scored 1.5 against Uzbekistan in the last olympiad.

They had a similar strength team as well.

Uzbekistan finished 14th in the last olympiad...we finished 35th.;)

pax
24-05-2006, 11:13 AM

The best we could dream of?!? You must have a very poor imagination, especially given that Australia beat a much stronger team in Romania the previous round.

Kayumov was a potential weakness on board 4, and all their players apart from Kasim were beatable if we had a good round. Of course all of our players were also beatable if we had a bad round. *shrug*

Ian Rout
24-05-2006, 11:36 AM
I was expecting a team something like Brian's but I can see some logic to the one chosen. If you put in something close to the top team and it does badly then you haven't gained anything; and if it does well then you get another strong opponent next round and you have the same selection issues again. You have to use all the players at some point.

It has to be remembered that the aim is to maximise the result over thirteen rounds, not to get the best possible score against Uzbekistan. That's what the captain has to juggle. Of course we could be over-analysing, maybe it's just that Ian was ill.

Vlad
24-05-2006, 11:48 AM
I think if one week ago somebody said that Australia would score 3.5/8 against Romania and Uzbekhistan people would think that was a great result. So far Australia has had one good day and one bad day, it is doing good!:clap:

four four two
24-05-2006, 11:56 AM
The best we could dream of?!? You must have a very poor imagination, especially given that Australia beat a much stronger team in Romania the previous round.

Our result against Romania was an upset. Do you expect us to keep smashing teams that are higher ranked than us?:hmm:
If so ,then I ask you to make your prediction as to where Australia will finish.

We scored 1.5 against Uzbekistan in the last olympiad,where we also drew on the top board, and yet they finished 21 places higher than us last time.
You need to keep it real.:rolleyes:

pballard
24-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Brian,while we were all happy with the result against Romania lets put things in perspective. Uzbekistan is a very solid team with alot more experience than us. Their players are far more active at this level and as the tournament goes on their results will show that. They scored 7/8 by beating one of the italian teams...we scored 7/8 by beating Macau.

No they didn't, well not really. They got there by beating Romania 3-1, an all-GM team rated higher than Uzbekistan (2 GMs, 2 IMs).

Personally, I thought they should have played Rogers, in the hope of maximising their result against Uzbekistan, with the chance of playing one of the really really big boys in round 4. Of course then they'd have been squashed like bugs, but it would have been a good experience.

Still, they played the team they played, and had a bad day. There will be more interesting days ahead, and after all 7.5/12 is not a bad score when you're the #50 seed.

Phil Bourke
24-05-2006, 12:31 PM
I must be in a minority :) I agree with Brian and co that have suggested that we should have had Rogers on Board 1. Barring ill health of course.
If I was in the team, I would be relishing the good start and the opportunity to do better. Admitting defeat before starting is the surest way to lose :)
Why should chess be different to any other sporting contest, favourites get rolled every day of the week. The first thing I learnt about sport was to despise losing, that will supply enough incentive to do better.

Oepty
24-05-2006, 01:38 PM
I was a little surprised that Rogers didn't play, but he will play his fair share of games.
New Zealand did quite well to only go down 1.5/2.5 to a much stronger Estonian team.
Shaun Press draw his game as PNG went down 3.5-.5 against Guernsey.
Not many upsets this round.
Brunei and Mongolia seem to be playing with very strange board orders if the ratings are to be believed.
The board 1 Gold medal might well go to Palestine board 1 GM Ermenkov who is probably going to be playing much weaker opposition in the vast majority of his games.
In the womens section I notice Fiji's board 1 is Keiran Lyons. Is this the same Keiran Lyons would played in Brisbane in the girls championship?
Scott

Basil
24-05-2006, 01:45 PM
When I grow up, I'd like to be a chess teams commentator.

arosar
24-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Bulletins from Turin are now available. Second issue has a special interview with Aussie women's captain, Leonid Sandler.

AR

jenni
24-05-2006, 01:47 PM
In the womens section I notice Fiji's board 1 is Keiran Lyons. Is this the same Keiran Lyons would played in Brisbane in the girls championship?
Scott

It is - I think the second time Keiran has played for Fiji. She was on board 2 in Calvia and did quite well.

Oepty
24-05-2006, 01:53 PM
It is - I think the second time Keiran has played for Fiji. She was on board 2 in Calvia and did quite well.

Well she is on 2/3, so a good start. Thanks Jenni. I guess she must have earned her WFM title in Calvia.

Brian_Jones
24-05-2006, 02:18 PM
When I grow up, I'd like to be a chess teams commentator.

Could be a long wait Howard!:(

Andrew Bird
24-05-2006, 02:20 PM
The round 3 report on Chessbase.com has a photo of Alexander Morozevich wearing a jacket with what looks like an Australian coat of arms on it, with kangaroo and emu. Dose anyone know what the jacket is and why a good young Russian like Sasha is wearing it, or am I just imagining things?

four four two
24-05-2006, 02:29 PM
The round 3 report on Chessbase.com has a photo of Alexander Morozevich wearing a jacket with what looks like an Australian coat of arms on it, with kangaroo and emu. Dose anyone know what the jacket is and why a good young Russian like Sasha is wearing it, or am I just imagining things?

I had a similar reaction when I saw that picture.:D
Maybe Arosar's reporter friend can find out for us.:hmm:
Does the australian team have an official jacket or any jacket?:hmm:

Basil
24-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Could be a long wait Howard!:(

Paying $1 HCD, right there, folks.
50c for accuracy, 50c for honesty :(

pax
24-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Our result against Romania was an upset. Do you expect us to keep smashing teams that are higher ranked than us?:hmm:

Not at all, but the Romania result (and the results against England, Denmark and Romania 2 years ago) proves that Australia can match it with stronger teams (sometimes much stronger).

If so ,then I ask you to make your prediction as to where Australia will finish.

Place finish predictions are pretty pointless. A favourable last round pairing can make as much as 30 places difference in the middle of the field. Much more important are individual results against individual teams, and gaining the opportunity to play the heavyweights.

I expect that Australia will finish somewhere between 20th and 50th. Better than 30th would be an excellent result.

We scored 1.5 against Uzbekistan in the last olympiad,where we also drew on the top board, and yet they finished 21 places higher than us last time.
You need to keep it real.:rolleyes:

To put this in context (keeping it real) - 21 places higher than us was, in fact, 1 point higher than us (out of 56 games). So no, it is not at all unrealistic to believe that Australia could achieve a draw or better against Uzbekistan (or, say, Denmark).

pballard
24-05-2006, 03:45 PM

You're not imagining it. It is definitely an Australian coat of arms. My guess is he's wearing an Australian team track suit top. Weird.

[Edited to fix a Yoda moment]

Ian Rout
24-05-2006, 03:51 PM
You're not imagining it. It is definitely an Australian coat of arms. My guess is he's wearing an Australian team track suit top. Weird.

[Edited to fix a Yoda moment]
Perhaps they are just available in merchandise shops, in the same way that people often wear soccer shirts from top international teams?

Or do chess players swap their uniforms after a match like footballers?

Garvinator
24-05-2006, 03:58 PM
I can confirm this as well. I think her mum is fijian and Kieran has said that the Fijians wouldnt be impressed if she changed federations :P

Garvinator
24-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Regarding whether to play Ian or not last round, I guess the main consideration was that David wont get many opportunities to play a super GM, especially being white. So Ian sat out to help David's chess development. If this is what happened, then Ian deserves a big :clap: :clap: :clap:

Brian_Jones
24-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Perhaps they are just available in merchandise shops, in the same way that people often wear soccer shirts from top international teams?

Then the ACF should be asking for royalties to help the Olympiad Appeal?

Ian Rout
24-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Then the ACF should be asking for royalties to help the Olympiad Appeal?
I was assuming it wasn't necessarily a chess item specifically, just a track-suit style top.

Garvinator
24-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Round 4:

Open: Denmark v Australia
Women: Australia v Serbia and Montenegro.

P.S Wont be Serbia and Montenegro in a few months ;)

Kevin Bonham
24-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Regarding whether to play Ian or not last round, I guess the main consideration was that David wont get many opportunities to play a super GM, especially being white. So Ian sat out to help David's chess development. If this is what happened, then Ian deserves a big :clap: :clap: :clap:

That was my assumption re the reason for it. It is important to remember that it is the later rounds that have the most bearing on final position, so I have no troubles with going fishing for norm-supporting results early on in the Olympiad.

I hoped we would do better than half a point even at less than full strength but Smerdon's draw with the former FFWC was a great result.

Garvinator
24-05-2006, 04:59 PM
FFWC
FFWC- Fake former world champion ???

Bill Gletsos
24-05-2006, 05:03 PM
FFWC- Fake former world champion ???
Fake FIDE World Champion or FIDE Fake World Champion

Kevin Bonham
24-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah, FFWC = FIDE fake world champion. An acronym I have used here a few times before I suspect.

(No discredit to Rustam of course; it's not his fault hardly anyone in the world top 20 contested it that year.)

pax
24-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Interesting point: Uzbekistan won each of it's first three matches by 3.5-0.5, and each time the top board drew with a much weaker (on paper) player.

pax
24-05-2006, 05:28 PM
"The Uzbeks, seeded 30th, led by former FIDE World Champion Kasimdzhanov, enjoy lucky drawing as today they swept out Australia by 3.5-0.5 which was relatively very easy run"

Kevin Bonham
24-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Open team have a surprisingly tough opponent this round, 25th seed Denmark

1 GM Nielsen Peter Heine 2646 DEN 1400355 0.0
2 GM Hansen Sune Berg 2555 DEN 1400266 1.5
3 GM Hansen Lars Bo 2560 DEN 1400037 2.0
4 GM Palo Davor 2546 DEN 1405853 2.5
5 GM Schandorff Lars 2521 DEN 1400070 1.5
6 FM Andreasen Per 2303 DEN 1400886 0.0

Denmark dropped a point and a half to 54th seed Ireland in round 2 and then got beaten 3-1 by 3rd seed Armenia in round 3.

Women's team play 19th seed Serbia-Montenegro who are recovering from a massive upset loss to 71st seed Venezuala in the first round.

1 IM Maric Alisa 2415 SCG 904180 1.0
2 WGM Chelushkina Irina 2320 SCG 928615 2.5
3 WGM Maksimovic Suzana 2295 SCG 904562 0.5
4 WGM Benderac Ana 2293 SCG 913464 2.0

Leonid Sandler
24-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Hello all from Torino,
After crushing win yesterday against Luxemburg we do have a much more difficult task-Serbia and Montenegro.It is a historical occasion because as you aware referendum was held a few days ago and people of Montenegro decided to separate from Serbia .Next Olympiad we will see one more strong team.In yesterday match against Luxemburg Ngan and Arianne scored an excellent wins and Irina was very closed to make scoreline 3-0 but missed a few chances and was forced to settle for a draw.I hope that today she will be able to recover from temporary setback.Arianne and Ngan are showing a very good form and I hope that Laura will follow their fortunes very soon.
I am very pleased to report that all members of team Australia are very keen to play in every match .
Our mens team after loss against Uzbekistan will play Denmark who brought 5 grandmasters.As probably you saw yesterday David Smerdon did very well to hold a very unpleasant position against former world champion.Kasimjanov is slowly developing australian sindrome-2 years ago Darryl Johansen held him to a draw too.
Thats all at the moment,
From Torino,
Leonid Sandler

Duff McKagan
24-05-2006, 05:48 PM

'Oi Kasim! Remember that favour... well it goes like this...'

Garvinator
24-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Boo Hiss. Betfair arent offering any markets on the Olympiad :(

Bill Gletsos
24-05-2006, 06:51 PM
23.1 GM Nielsen Peter Heine 2646 - GM Rogers Ian 2564
23.2 GM Hansen Sune Berg 2555 - IM Smerdon David 2460
23.3 GM Hansen Lars Bo 2560 - IM Lane Gary 2440
23.4 GM Schandorff Lars 2521 - Speck Nick 2389

Bill Gletsos
24-05-2006, 06:58 PM
16.1 IM Berezina Irina 2281 - IM Maric Alisa 2415
16.2 WIM Caoili Arianne 2169 - WGM Chelushkina Irina 2320
16.3 WIM Phan-Koshnitsky Ngan 2181 - WGM Benderac Ana 2293

Kevin Bonham
24-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Outrated on every board but only by 100 points or so. Not bad. Here's hoping we can do some damage tonight.

Igor_Goldenberg
24-05-2006, 07:02 PM
16.1 IM Berezina Irina 2281 - IM Maric Alisa 2415
16.2 WIM Caoili Arianne 2169 - WGM Chelushkina Irina 2320
16.3 WIM Phan-Koshnitsky Ngan 2181 - WGM Benderac Ana 2293

Is Berezina IM or WIM?

Bill Gletsos
24-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Is Berezina IM or WIM?IM and WIM

Kevin Bonham
24-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Berezina holds both IM and WGM titles. IM is generally the harder-to-acheive title (I have noticed other IM/WGMs are invariably listed as IM in the pairings.)

four four two
24-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Norway hasnt used Simon Agdestein or Magnus Carlsen yet...and they are not using them against Armenia tonight either.:doh: :whistle:

Nigeria finally has its IM's listed as IM's.:rolleyes:

And Pakistan has finally turned up...they are paired against South Korea tonight.:)

Ian_Rogers
24-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Just to clear up a few things. I wasn't sick yesterday but, as surmised, we wanted to give David a chance at a super-GM.

Also, because the Olympiad has been cut to 13 rounds, it will be hard to give the players enough games to try for GM or IM norms. So I'll probably be used sparingly in the first half and played non-stop at the end.

P.S. Yuan really is a bit sick today and dropping for that reason.

Ian

antichrist
24-05-2006, 08:24 PM

He doesn't deserve anything for not letting JP Wallace draw (some time ago) and JPW earning some norms - if he did otherwise we would roast him as well of course.

And what happened to that guy who was supposedly sabotaging Speckler's nomination?

Denis_Jessop
24-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Berezina holds both IM and WGM titles. IM is generally the harder-to-acheive title (I have noticed other IM/WGMs are invariably listed as IM in the pairings.)

The IM is a higher-ranked title than the WIM. An IM norm requires a RP of 2450+ whereas a WIM norm requires only 2250+. An player must at some time reach 2400 to qualify for the IM title while a WIM aspirant need reach only 2200.

DJ

Basil
24-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Just to clear up a few things.

Cheers Ian

GL this afternoon.

pax
24-05-2006, 09:15 PM
The IM is a higher-ranked title than the WIM. An IM norm requires a RP of 2450+ whereas a WIM norm requires only 2250+. An player must at some time reach 2400 to qualify for the IM title while a WIM aspirant need reach only 2200.

Er, I think you'll find he was talking about WGM.

Bill Gletsos
24-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Berezina holds both IM and WGM titles. IM is generally the harder-to-acheive title (I have noticed other IM/WGMs are invariably listed as IM in the pairings.)The FIDE website shows Irina's title as IM and Womens Title as wm indicating WIM.

Duff McKagan
24-05-2006, 10:48 PM

DJ

Plus lets not forget about zonal titles... where rating held is irrelevant.

pax
24-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Also, because the Olympiad has been cut to 13 rounds, it will be hard to give the players enough games to try for GM or IM norms. So I'll probably be used sparingly in the first half and played non-stop at the end.

This is a good point. With 14 rounds, there are enough games for every player to play 9 games. With 13, at least one will miss out. I guess Ian will hold off playing many games until at least one player no longer has realistic norm chances.

pax
24-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Smerdon-Hansen is following an interesting (maybe a bit speculative) gambit line of the Scotch. Curiously, the first 10 moves (not a very common line) were played twice at Queenstown (Ker-Wallis and Lazarus-S. Yu). Smerdon also played the line, including 11.c4 against Wallis at Buller.

pax
25-05-2006, 12:11 AM
The game still follows Smerdon Wallis up to white's 16th. I'm guessing David has a big clock advantage right now.

Basil
25-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Just making sure everyone has the link to see all 4 aussie games at once via the official site, and others are aware that by changing number the 7 digit number on any board, you can call up another game rom a different match if you wish.

EZBeet
25-05-2006, 12:52 AM
looks like 17 ...:hmm: f5 is going to give black a lot of play, I wonder if David has an answer for this one

Kevin Bonham
25-05-2006, 01:10 AM
The FIDE website shows Irina's title as IM and Womens Title as wm indicating WIM.

Hmmm. I always thought she was WGM and have given her said title a large number of times before without anyone correcting me before. I will have to check this.

Denmark match looks OK at the moment having only just logged on.

Kevin Bonham
25-05-2006, 01:48 AM
Thought Ian was dead lost but missed all those tactics. Now he has to defend a queen ending a pawn down.

Kevin Bonham
25-05-2006, 02:17 AM
And now he looks dead lost again, just can't see how he's going to get a perpetual two pawns down from there. (47)

Kevin Bonham
25-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Hahaha. I think Arianne's opponent just made a spectacular mess of that game.

Garvinator
25-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Hahaha. I think Arianne's opponent just made a spectacular mess of that game.
Unfortunately, the open team lost 3.5 - 0.5 with Smerdon the only one to draw.

How is he going regarding norm chances? Hasnt lost yet?

Kevin Bonham
25-05-2006, 02:55 AM
Unfortunately, the open team lost 3.5 - 0.5 with Smerdon the only one to draw.

How is he going regarding norm chances? Hasnt lost yet?

He's got 3 draws vs 3 GMs including Rustam. Not a bad start. Cute stalemate trick - stalemated his king 10 moves ago then threw his remaining pieces away to draw. Surely avoidable by opponent, but how far back?

The board displays are very slow updating the results but looking at the positions shown on them I can see why they would have been resigned.

Kevin Bonham
25-05-2006, 03:01 AM
Ngan drew! Upset coming up!