PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Easter Cup 2004

antichrist
20-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Cabra Vale Diggers' Chess Club presents the Sydney Easter Chess Cup.
Prize money is underwritten and guaranteed by Cabra Vale Diggers' Chess Club.

Venue: Cabra Vale Diggers, 1 Bartley Street, Canley Vale (better train service Cabramatta station, 5 minutes walking distance)

Playing dates and times:
Easter Saturday, April 10, 9.30am till 7.30pm approx, (4 rounds)
Easter Monday, April 12, 9.30am till 5.30pm (3 rounds)

Play: 7 rounds, one hour per player, win/loss on flag fall.

Fees: Full adult $25, Adult concession $15, Junior $15

All entry fees returned in prize money except for rating fees.
First prize in the vicinity of $200-$300, depending on number of entries.

It is expected that a free hot lunch will be included in the second day's play.

Both International chess and Chinese chess catered for in separate competitions. Seniors and juniors welcome.

Further details from: Ernest Dorn Phone 9727-2931 (8am - 8pm)
Mobile 0419-260-240

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chesslover
23-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Cabra Vale Diggers' Chess Club presents the Sydney Easter Chess Cup.

Fees: Full adult $25, Adult concession $15, Junior $15

It is expected that a free hot lunch will be included in the second day's play.

Free hot lunch??

For players or for spectators who are there at the time?

Even though I do not agree with your Easter Cup, as it clashes with Australia's Number 1 weekender the Doberl, your enthusiasm and energy is very impressive.

BTW who owns the name - Sydney easter Cup? canterbury leagues used the name when you had the easter cup there - so does the name belong to the canterbury chess club? Or can anyone use it? :confused:

antichrist
24-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Free hot lunch??

For players or for spectators who are there at the time?

Last year we had enough for both.

Even though I do not agree with your Easter Cup, as it clashes with Australia's Number 1 weekender the Doberl, your enthusiasm and energy is very impressive.

But you can come as not on the "holy" days. Those Doberlites are breaking the Sabbath.

BTW who owns the name - Sydney easter Cup? canterbury leagues used the name when you had the easter cup there - so does the name belong to the canterbury chess club? Or can anyone use it? :confused:

Who is BTW? As far as I know and I don't see why not the name morally belongs to me. Canterbury through PaulS have disowned it. I also used it at Parramatta RSL Club where we also held it a few years ago. Be positive come and participate.

I am seriously thinking of putting on free entry for those rated 2000+ for five year celebration.

chesslover
25-02-2004, 11:27 PM
Who is BTW? As far as I know and I don't see why not the name morally belongs to me. Canterbury through PaulS have disowned it. I also used it at Parramatta RSL Club where we also held it a few years ago. Be positive come and participate.

I am seriously thinking of putting on free entry for those rated 2000+ for five year celebration.

1. BTW = By the way

2. The name "Sydney easter chess Cup" only "belongs" to you, if you register it as a trademark of yours. Otherwise someone can have their own "Sydney Easter Chess Cup" at the same time as yours

3. Do not put a free entry for those 2000+. That will detract from the Doberl. Let the Easter CUp be for people who cannot go to Canberra, but still want to play chess in Sydney during the easter period and are of average strength

antichrist
06-03-2004, 07:47 PM
1. BTW = By the way

3. Do not put a free entry for those 2000+. That will detract from the Doberl. Let the Easter CUp be for people who cannot go to Canberra, but still want to play chess in Sydney during the easter period and are of average strength

I thought of fee-free at end of comp last year for players who attended all four comps, as 2004 would be the 5th year, a bit of an event. But now my situation has changed dramatically and am only putting it on out of loyalty etc.. It deserves to live as it has its place.

I will stick by fee-free for 2000+ players, and it will not deduct from prize money.

chesslover
07-03-2004, 04:08 PM
I thought of fee-free at end of comp last year for players who attended all four comps, as 2004 would be the 5th year, a bit of an event. But now my situation has changed dramatically and am only putting it on out of loyalty etc.. It deserves to live as it has its place.

I will stick by fee-free for 2000+ players, and it will not deduct from prize money.

I do nto agree, that you should put fee free for 2000+ players. I thought you said that when you put on the Sydney easter cup it was for people who could not go to Doberl, and who were looking for a non elite social tournament - with the tourney pitched at the non serious player

I do think that Australia needs an undisputed elite "prestige" weekender, and over time Doberl has shown that it is by far the number 1 weekender in Australia. I do not think that the Sydney easter cup should try to draw away people from the Doberl by offering fee free to 2000+ players

Garvinator
07-03-2004, 04:51 PM
i remember the last time this was debated that the SEC is held to have a tournament that allowed players who could not go to canberra to play in a tournament.

It could be argued that by offering free entry to players who would be the main market for the doebrel that the SEC is now acting in opposition to the doebrel. I remember this was a situation that antichrist was at pains to say did not exist.

I think the free entry policy should be reviewed.

Alan Shore
07-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Just a bit of friendly competition.. The Darling Downs Open is also being held over the Easter long weekend but no one hears a whisper about that now, do they?

Garvinator
07-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Just a bit of friendly competition.. The Darling Downs Open is also being held over the Easter long weekend but no one hears a whisper about that now, do they?
i know about the darling downs comp :p hehe but the issue is related to competition for players. It is highly unlikely that players will be drawn away from doebrel to play in the darling downs comp. Now you could make your event a grand prix event :lol: :lol:

chesslover
07-03-2004, 05:14 PM
i remember the last time this was debated that the SEC is held to have a tournament that allowed players who could not go to canberra to play in a tournament.

It could be argued that by offering free entry to players who would be the main market for the doebrel that the SEC is now acting in opposition to the doebrel. I remember this was a situation that antichrist was at pains to say did not exist.

I think the free entry policy should be reviewed.

100% agree

Even though I do not play in the Doberl, as it conflicts with Easter worship, I think it is great that Australian chess has a number 1 weekender where all the elite players, GMs, IMs etc can go to and play regularly

I think that this is a bad idea by Peter, and he should stop detracting from the Doberl. Fair enough if he wants to go for people here who would not have gone to the Doberl and are average club players. But this move seems to even contradict his earlier statements during the SEC debates

Alan Shore
07-03-2004, 05:20 PM
i know about the darling downs comp :p hehe but the issue is related to competition for players. It is highly unlikely that players will be drawn away from doebrel to play in the darling downs comp.

Well, we'll just see how many players participate in Darling Downs then.. they could all be 'potential Doeberl players' too if you are using the same argument for the Sydney Easter Cup! If you concede it's too far to travel, then I say the same of those playing in the SEC.. If prizemoney is the issue, then those who are drawn will travel to Canberra.. those who get free entry to SEC are still only competing for a first prize in the vicinity of $200-300, the Doeberl money dwarfs that. I don't think you have a strong enough case against SEC - I say its at the organisers own discretion to do what they like.

chesslover
07-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Now that Peter has shown that he will not honour his commitment to draw away 2000+ players from going to the Doberl, what is to stop his next year from increasing the prizemoney so that it competes with the Doberl for the prizemoney stakes as well?

antichrist
07-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Now that Peter has shown that he will not honour his commitment to draw away 2000+ players from going to the Doberl, what is to stop his next year from increasing the prizemoney so that it competes with the Doberl for the prizemoney stakes as well?

Definitely not. As previously stated only doing once as 5 year, to me a milestone. The next one being 10 years. But don't worry it is not even enough to ensure highly-related poor players to come according to the response I got at the City of Sydney Comp. today. It is only $25 bucks, chicken feed. Good players aren't going to sacrifice 4 days play against grandmasters to save $25.

I was offered sponsership of a thousand dollars for 2 years running a few years ago but refused because did not want to take players away from Doberl. So I am genuine. Frankly speaking I don't enjoy a real big comp as more organising, takes the fun out of it. Does that satisfy you.

chesslover
07-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Does that satisfy you.

Yes it does :)

In fact given the need to worship God in Easter, I am far more likely to play in your cup than go to the Doeberl, if I decide to play chess this year. I however do think that Australia needs a number 1 weekender, that all the elite players can play at, and think that anything that takes away from that is not good for chess in Australia

shaun
08-03-2004, 08:35 AM

Because unlike chess, life isn't just black and white. The only tournaments that the Doeberl Cup organisers have worried about over the years have been those held over Easter in NSW and Victoria. This is because we draw the vast majority (90%+) of visiting players from these two states. And before Peter thinks we are picking on him personally, when the VCA ran an Easter tournament for a few years a decade ago, the Doeberl Cup organisers raised the same objections then.
So you are right, there hasn't been a whisper about the Darling Downs Open, but more importantly, now you know why.

Trent Parker
08-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Unfortunately, I have decided to play neither this year... I have decided to put as many hours as i can into my uni studies as of the end of the COS. Therefore I will not be playing any tournaments until the semester finishes. And then.... I HAVE FINISHED MY DEGREE... HOORAY. And then the search for work starts...