PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Cards

arosar
27-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Any graphics cards/gaming experts out there? I am about to buy a replacement laptop and need expert opinion on graphics cards. So many options. ATI X series of Nvidia ones.

What do you think of Asus machines?

AR

Davidflude
27-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Any graphics cards/gaming experts out there? I am about to buy a replacement laptop and need expert opinion on graphics cards. So many options. ATI X series of Nvidia ones.

AR

I have used ASUS motherboards in the past with no problems. AS far as graphics cards are concerned why don't you go to one of the hardware sites that compares them.

Davidflude
27-04-2006, 02:08 PM
My Pc is falling apart. I admit that it has been upgraded at least twice and totally thrashed. Now i am getting random hardware faults and programs are crashing in all directions.

So I pick up my new machine tomorrow.

1) AMD 64 bit 3800 dual core

2) gigabyte motherboard

3) 2 gig DDR 400 memory

4) good 3d graphics card

5) TV card

6) TV tuner

7) widescreen 19 inch monitor. I will connect two monitors at once

Incidentally I tracked down the program theat won the World Championship last year. It optimised the used of dual core and graphics cards.

Rincewind
27-04-2006, 02:55 PM
I have heard that ASus are ok but personally my last couple of machines have been Gigabyte mobos and i cannot complain. It is probably a religious persuation but I would steer clear of AMD processors and use Intel. Just the AMD machine I had previously had lots of over heating problems. My present Intel never has.

I'd also suggest getting a good case. I use and recommend Antec. They are well thought out and constructed using quality materials.

(Oh and my original nividia gfx card has not had any problems in 2.5 years)

(Opps just noticed you were talking laptops so forget all that). :)

Davidflude
27-04-2006, 10:19 PM
You are quite right about AMD overheating.

I have made sure that I have extra fans and a heap big indicator on the case that overheating is taking place.

On the other hand Athlon beat the pants off intel on running games and chess programs but intel is better for business Apps.

Isuggest that you try running mad onion.

pax
28-04-2006, 05:14 PM
The thing that bugs me about AMD is that in order to have enough cooling you end up with a *very* noisy machine.

The solution (possibly - I haven't tried it myself) is a water cooled case. Silent cooling, and much more efficient than air! You can get these in Japan, haven't seen them in Australia though..

Bill Gletsos
28-04-2006, 07:32 PM
The thing that bugs me about AMD is that in order to have enough cooling you end up with a *very* noisy machine...I'm running a dual cpu system with a pair of AMD Opteron 252 chips (2.6GHz) in an aluminium Lian-Li case. Cpu temperatures for both cpu's are generally around 44C with minimal fan noise but I have had them reach mid 50's. Even then the fan noise was not that noticeable.

The solution (possibly - I haven't tried it myself) is a water cooled case. Silent cooling, and much more efficient than air! You can get these in Japan, haven't seen them in Australia though.Check out http://www.pluscorp.com.au/Product.asp?CategoryID=253&WebsiteID=2&ProdID=7194

skip to my lou
29-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Water cooling is a bit risky, especially if you're spending a lot on the computer.

7900 GTX and X1900 XT seem to be the best at the moment, but you'd probably get best value out of a 6600 GT or something about 1 year old now.

Davidflude
30-04-2006, 11:35 AM
I have an icute case with a large fan on the side, and a temperature monitor on the front. Also my study is air conditioned which will help in summer. Now if I can work out how to make the sound work (should be something trivial) all will be well. The demo version of Rybka and shredder 8 both work well. Rybka are about to release a new version of the full version. I shall consider upgrading when the new version is released.

Somewhere out there is a program that won the 2005 computer chess competition that is designed to run on dual processors or dual core and use your graphics card. The impression I have is that this program is not as sophiticated as the other programs but is designed to run fast. Whether it is designed to beat machines or humans is something that I have not discovered,

Garvinator
30-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Somewhere out there is a program that won the 2005 computer chess competition that is designed to run on dual processors or dual core and use your graphics card. The impression I have is that this program is not as sophiticated as the other programs but is designed to run fast. Whether it is designed to beat machines or humans is something that I have not discovered,
It is called zap chess, modelled on zappa.

More details from chessbase of course: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3043

Desmond
18-06-2006, 10:44 PM

AR

I might be a bit late on this thread. I work for a computer distributor, we sell many models of laptops and Asus is one of the favourites.

Firstly, I question your question ;) of gaming experts required for a laptop purchasing decision. What are you using the machine for? For gaming there is no doubt that a desktop is still the best option.

Regarding nVidia vs ATI, some may say it is a matter of personal preference. It depends on which generation cards you are comparing. nVidia is currently winning the race with the 7950 card just released. You won't find one of those in a notebook though, now or ever.