PDA

View Full Version : Sydney WSCP

Brian_Jones
19-02-2004, 04:18 PM
The Sydney Western Suburbs Chess Premiership (WSCP) starts on Monday 1 March for 10 weeks. There are 19 teams entered in 3 Divisions. Defending the Premiership is the Koala Club team of Gary Lane, Tomek Rej, Lee Jones and Brian Jones. (Licensed clubs don't frighten us!)

Handbooks (including fixture lists) are available at Rooty Hill RSL on Monday 23 February 2004. Lightning event starts at 7.30pm. All welcome (even Bill, Paul, Starter and Firegoat).

Brian_Jones
04-03-2004, 07:54 AM
Round 1 results (A Division)

Rooty Hill U1900 1 Koala U1800 3
Jonathan Hui gets lucky perpetual against Charles Zworestine
David Harvey is given a queen by Leonardo Temerio
Ashley Silson catches Hans Muller in pet opening
Young Benjamin Harris draws with Joe Ymalay

Wests U2000 1 Koala Open 3
Gary Lane much too good for Andrew Bird
David Castor outplays Lee Jones
Brian Jones swindles Spomenko Jurisic
Nancy Lane out-WIMs Laura Moylan

Smithfield U1900 v Mounties U2000 result not yet to hand!

Hey, Paulie tell me again why Canterbury does not enter the Sydney WSCP?
You guys should play your club championship later in the year like everybody else!

Paul S
13-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Hey, Paulie tell me again why Canterbury does not enter the Sydney WSCP?

Hi Brian. Sorry for not responding earlier, but this is the first time I have been able to have a close look at the BB for a couple of weeks.

I guess you can "blame" Bob Keast and Fred Flatow (and to a lesser extent others like Kerry Stead) for this! For a long time a lot of Canterbury's chess players (including myself) had felt that Canterbury played in too many interclub competitions. For many years Canterbury played in 4 interclub competitions each year (while most other chess clubs only played in 2 or 3 interclub competitions a year).

So, at Canterbury's 2001 AGM (held in February 2001) I put forward a proposal that Canterbury not play in the 2001 Grade Matches. I suggested the Grade Matches as opposed to the WSCP as 1) the Grade Matches is (albeit unintentionally) biassed towards larger clubs, 2) for reasons mentioned on the BB last year I preferred the shorter time limits of the WSCP and 3) I liked the flexibility of having 100 point divisional groupings as opposed to 200 point divisional groupings. Needless to say, Bob Keast (who at the time was NSWCA President) almost bit my head off when I proposed this! Fred Flatow (and a couple of others) also objected strongly to thois idea. So, while (later on) there was agreement that Canterbury was playing in too many interclub competitions, for 2001 Canterbury ended up playing in all 4 interclub competitions (as per previous years).

Just before the 2002 AGM (February 2002) there was an informal committee meeting where it was agreed that Canterbury was playing in too many interclub competitions and that the majority decision was that the WSCP should be the one to go. So, this proposal was put forward at the 2002 AGM and was passed. As a result from 2002 onwards Canterbury has played in only 3 interclub competitions.

You guys should play your club championship later in the year like everybody else!

What clubs are you referring to and when do they hold their Club Championship?

Before 2002 Canterbury did not have a Club Championship (looking back IMHO this was an absurd situation for a chess club not to have a Club Championship). Canterbury decided to start to have one and hold it at the same time as Sydney's two largest chess clubs (North Sydney and St George). After all, if North Sydney and St George (Sydney's two largest chess clubs) have their Club Championships from March to May, then there must be some merit in having it at that time?

Brian_Jones
13-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Paul - thanks for the info. Why align yourself with North Sydney and St George just because they are big? Rooty Hill has its Club Championship starting October 11 and other WSCP clubs eg Wests, Mounties, Smithfield, Ryde-Eastwood must do something similar (leave their club championship until later in the year)

Maybe NSWCA Inc. should discuss this and try to agree a common calendar structure across all Sydney clubs?

What do other clubs eg Hakoah/Fairfield/Liverpool/Central Coast/Wollongong do?

Paul S
13-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Paul - thanks for the info.

Glad you appreciate it.

Why align yourself with North Sydney and St George just because they are big?

I don't know if it was so much "aligning" ourselves with St George and North Sydney. I suspect it was more a case of looking at the calendar and the committee deciding to have a Club Championship in March to May and a Open Comp from October to December (it could probably just as easily have been done the other way around - viz, vice versa).

Rooty Hill has its Club Championship starting October 11 and other WSCP clubs eg Wests, Mounties, Smithfield, Ryde-Eastwood must do something similar (leave their club championship until later in the year)

Rooty Hill is just one club. To my knowledge they are the only club that has their Club Championship at this time.

Ryde-Eastwood have their Club Championship at the same time as the Grade Matches (I played in it in 2002 - was quite a good comp - well organised/run by Bill). Personally I've found it a bit odd that Bill's club (with him as NSWCA President) has their Club Championship clashing with the Grade Matches (as mentioned in my previous post, 2001-2002 NSWCA President Bob Keast almost bit my head off when I suggested the Canterbury Club not compete in the Grade Matches).

I could be wrong here, but I don't think that Wests, Mounties and Smithfield have a Club Championship.

Maybe NSWCA Inc. should discuss this and try to agree a common calendar structure across all Sydney clubs?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I think something like a once a year meeting of clubs (organised and co-ordinated by the NSWCA) would be a good idea. I would be more than happy to attend such a meeting. Something like a common calendar structure sounds like a worthy idea that deserves serious consideration.

What do other clubs eg Hakoah/Fairfield/Liverpool/Central Coast/Wollongong do?

To the best of my knowledge there is no Hakoah Club Championship. While speaking of Hakoah, I find it a little bit irksome that a big chess club like Hakoah do not compete in any interclub competitions (although I do remember that they fielded Grade Match teams about 10 years ago).

Again to the best of my knowledge Fairfield and Liverpool (JEVC) do not have a Club Championship.

As for Central Coast and Wollongong, I have no idea what they do!

PHAT
13-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Again to the best of my knowledge Fairfield and Liverpool (JEVC) do not have a Club Championship.

As for Central Coast and Wollongong, I have no idea what they do!

Wollongong has Championships:

Blitz (about 50 games per player)
Rapid (Round robin of about 20 players)
Standard (9 round swiss)

Also:
A Knockout
A Handicap (based on performance relative to rating)

Rincewind
13-03-2004, 05:18 PM

Standard (9 round swiss)

Also:
A Knockout

Just a couple of corrections/clarifications. The Blitz probably works out to around 75 rounds if we get a good turn out on the 5 nights. Best 3 nights are counted towards you Blitz Championship score. So if you like around 45 games "count".

The current thinking is to keep the Club Championship as an 11 round RR format (as it was in 2003 and 2001) broken down into divisions by rating. There is also plans to introduce a new Swiss classical tournament which would be the Club Swiss as a regular part of the club's tournament calendar.

ursogr8
13-03-2004, 06:05 PM

Standard (9 round swiss)

Also:
A Knockout

Box hill calendar, week-by-week can be viewed at
http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/e2004/calendar.htm

PHAT
13-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Wollongong site , by John Mazzieri

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mazzieri/chess/wgong.htm

ursogr8
13-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Wollongong site , by John Mazzieri

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mazzieri/chess/wgong.htm

hi Matt
A lot to like about your site. Congratulate the builder for me.

Of interest is
> the handicap SWISS. What sort of handcaps apply?
>> the invitation to 16 and over. What gives rise to this? I notice this week that a 12 year-old girl is reported to have picked up a GM title O/S. The under 16's can play a bit.
Finally, what is the joining fee and the annual subs?

starter

Garvinator
13-03-2004, 10:40 PM
I notice this week that a 12 year-old girl is reported to have picked up a GM title O/S.
are you referring to Kateryna Lahno? At 12 years and four months Kateryna Lahno became the world's youngest female grandmaster. So that means she has achieved WGM status, not male gm status.

Rincewind
13-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Of interest is
> the handicap SWISS. What sort of handcaps apply?
>> the invitation to 16 and over. What gives rise to this? I notice this week that a 12 year-old girl is reported to have picked up a GM title O/S. The under 16's can play a bit.
Finally, what is the joining fee and the annual subs?

Perhaps I could answer some of those questions.

The handicap is based on the points awarded to the winner/loser upon completion of the game. Every game is worth 60 points. If two equally rated (within 20 points) play it is divy upped 45/15 on a win and 30/30 for a draw. The greater the rating difference the more the balance moves. Look at the tournament page for the exact table we use.

I believe the over 16's bit is to encourage juniors to attend the junior chess as a first point of call. The guy who runs the juniors (and the senior club and builds the website) then invites them on to the senior club when he gauges it appropriate. The u-16 is therefore not a code as such, but more a guideline. Vaness Reid for example has played at a number of our tournaments over the last couple of years. Unfortunately not all (but fortunately some) local u-16s are as good as Vaness.

Members need only become members of our hosting club. With juniors it would be nice if at least one parent/guardian was a member.

Brian_Jones
14-03-2004, 12:01 PM
So Wollongong have their Club Championship starting September also.
Now what about other clubs. Where's Bill? Where is Club Liaison Officer?

Bill Gletsos
14-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Ryde-Eastwood play their club rapid during February.
They pleay in the WSCP from March to let Aptil/early May.
They then play their Club championship in May/June/July.
They play in George Baikovas's Metropolitan Leagues Rapid (Interleagues Rapid) over 3 weeks in August.
Following this they play in the Interleagues which runs until late October.

Basically Ryde_Eastwood has to decide whether it will clash its Club Championship with the Grade Matches or the WSCP. Successive AGM's of Ryde-Eastwood have voted to clash the Club Championship with the Grade Matches.

Historically this would go back to the early 80's when Ryde-Eastwood was one of the founding clubs of the WSCP. At that stage many of the clubs in the WSCP would not play in the Grade Matches due to disagreements with the NSWCA.
Where members have wished to play in the Grade Matches, Ryde-Eastwood has supported those teams. We have simply specified a different night for Grade Matches as our home night (Tuesday or Thursday as opposed to our club night of Wednesday.

Kerry Stead
14-03-2004, 01:16 PM

The Club Liaison Officer is busy with ACF and NSWJCL things! :eek:
I'll see what I can do, but my time is becoming more stretched these days ...

As Paul pointed out, not all clubs hold their club championships at the end of the year. It varies between the clubs and what they prioritise.

At St George, the Club Championship is on at the moment, the Grade Matches follow, then the Interleagues & Combined Leagues Rapid (although they may be in reverse order). The club finishes out the year with the St George Swiss, and then the Summer Open in December/January, which is (as far as I know) the only club tournament in Sydney at that time of year.

The big priority for St George as far as external competition is concerned is the Grade Matches. The Combined Leagues Rapid would be next in line, with the Interleagues the lowest priority of the external competitions. As for internal competitions, the Club Championship is obviously the biggest priority, with the Summer Open (which doubles as a way of attracting new members to the club) and St George Swiss being a bit further down the pecking order.

I think that although in an ideal world it would be good to have all Sydney chess clubs 'synchronised' as far as calendars are concerned, it should also be kept in mind that different people like different things. There is also nothing (other than time constraints) stopping players from playing different kinds of chess at different clubs. Heck, I know some St George members that are playing in the WSCP, as well as events at Hakoah & Ryde-Eastwood. They are still St George members, and play for the club when it comes around to Grade Matches, and are obviously valued members of their respective teams.

ursogr8
14-03-2004, 01:40 PM
The Sydney Western Suburbs Chess Premiership (WSCP) starts on Monday 1 March for 10 weeks. There are 19 teams entered in 3 Divisions. Defending the Premiership is the Koala Club team of Gary Lane, Tomek Rej, Lee Jones and Brian Jones. (Licensed clubs don't frighten us!)

Handbooks (including fixture lists) are available at Rooty Hill RSL on Monday 23 February 2004. Lightning event starts at 7.30pm. All welcome (even Bill, Paul, Starter and Firegoat).

I wouldn't want to join a competition that would have me as a starter. ;)

Rincewind
14-03-2004, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't want to join a competition that would have me as a starter. ;)

Thank you, Groucho. :lol: