PDA

View Full Version : Last Round Swiss Pairings

Denis_Jessop
19-04-2006, 01:33 PM
In the course of looking for something else, I came across the following passage in Part D Miscellaneous of the FIDE Hanbook re Swiss Rules:

Amendments to the existing Swiss Sytem Rules (Dutch System)

The rules B2, B5 and B6 shall not apply in the last round at scoregroups with a score over 50 % if this helps to produce a greater number of pairings in the scoregroup. If the number of pairings would be the same when these rules are used, they shall be used.

This differs from the equivalent passage in Stewart Reuben's latest edition of his Handbook where he says, in italics:

Note:B2,B5 and B6 do not apply when pairing players with a score greater than 50% in the last round.

There seems to me to be a significant difference in the two statements. Does anyone have any clues about this and which version is incorporated in the SP last-round pairing rules?

DJ

Bill Gletsos
19-04-2006, 01:48 PM
There seems to me to be a significant difference in the two statements. Does anyone have any clues about this and which version is incorporated in the SP last-round pairing rules?Actually in Section 04.1 part B of the Dutch rules it says:

B.6 No player shall have an identical float as two rounds before.
Note: B2, B5 and B6 do not apply when pairing players with a score of over 50% in the last round.This matches what Reuben says.

However as you noted it says something entirely different in section 04.2 Part D Miscellaneous.

As for SP I would suspect that it is following what is printed in Reuben's book.

Denis_Jessop
19-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks Bill, so it does. FIDE seems to have got rather mixed up here as most of 04.2 clearly doesn't apply to 04.1 although the bit I quoted must (it can't apply to anything else) and also perhaps the reference to the use of Computers at the very beginning of 04.2, though that is not as clear.

I'd assume too that SP follows the Reuben account which has been there for some time - it was in his first (orange) edition.

I see also that Reuben has not included para. 04.2 D 22 about players from the same federation in his latest edition though it was in the second (light blue) edition as B3.

DJ

pax
19-04-2006, 10:08 PM
I assumed that 'amendments to Swiss Rules' implies that it is an optional rule that may be employed if the arbiter so chooses (and announces in advance).

Bob1
23-04-2006, 05:05 PM
SP has a check box for the last round.

must do something

Bill - on the case?