PDA

View Full Version : moderation style changes

Garvinator
18-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Across different threads at different times, the moderation style of this bb has been discussed.

Therefore I am proposing a solution that might help with this matter.

We have all agreed we dont want ppl banned unless it cant be helped.

So my solution is as follows, as soon as a thread starts to dissolve into personality clashes or slaning matches, those posts are moved to the non chess section.

skip to my lou
18-02-2004, 11:41 PM
I think the moderation is fine as it is now.

You can't have everything perfect on a BB.

Kevin Bonham
19-02-2004, 12:06 AM
So my solution is as follows, as soon as a thread starts to dissolve into personality clashes or slaning matches, those posts are moved to the non chess section.

It's not always easy to draw the line. In fact it rarely is, and some posts that have a lot of abuse content also have a lot of good chess content. Possibly we could move posts that had no chess content at all.

Ian Rout
19-02-2004, 07:40 AM
In principle this is good, it is extremely irritating to have to pick through pages of "You're an idiot" "No you're an idiot" such as in the multitudinous posts by Matthewandbill last year.

In practice there may be difficulties drawing the line and the interchanges may just be replaced by endless complaints and CL-style "Why must people be so cruel?" outpourings. There are also threads set up by people wanting to have a go at others and surely it isn't hurting anyone for them to be used in that way, it's when other discussions are hijacked that there is a problem.

My preference is what was proposed recently, I think by paulb (apologies if not), to have a more actively moderated section with some standards, and retain the free-for-all section where, apart from prohibition of a few rude words, there is no restriction on the basis of relevance.

paulb
19-02-2004, 09:46 AM
hi Garvin,

one problem is that many threads lapse into and out of abuse and into and out of chess content. Another is that heavy moderation is time-consuming. Still another is that people vary greatly in their reactions to being moderated - some react so strongly that it's best to leave them be, others don't care at all. And finally, it's often impossible to make an early judgement on the quality of a thread - it's not until the posting has stopped that you can tell whether overall it's of lasting value or just small talk/abuse/otherwise forgettable. I favour the approach of distinguishing the quality threads/posts by placing them in a certain spot over the approach of moving the low-quality threads/posts for two main reasons: it's very light-touch moderation and it's a lot easier.

I share your concerns though - I'd like easy access to quality stuff. Any suggestions are most welcome.

antichrist
19-02-2004, 10:41 AM
I favour the approach of distinguishing the quality threads/posts by placing them in a certain spot over the approach of moving the low-quality threads/posts for two main reasons: it's very light-touch moderation and it's a lot easier.

I agree completely, the low brow posts could be culled weekly as have little residual value. One benefit is that the BB will be about 90% thinner -- better image for chess, less time needed to scan board, less computer volume needed, less breakdowns, and may eventually lead to self censorship when childish tittle-tat is treated with the scorn it deserves.

Some shockers like Matts on abortion (chuck an abortion for a sickie) come into the humor catoregy, there you are, we could also set up a separate thread for humor -- humor which arose on other threads could be transferred onto "humour". In "humour" people are more prepared to be shocked.

The naggers seem to come from people who don't have to pay for their internet. Shows everything has two sides.

Humour is so important so we can laugh at ourselves.

Rincewind
19-02-2004, 12:16 PM
The naggers seem to come from people who don't have to pay for their internet. Shows everything has two sides.

Can you elucidate?

Kevin Bonham
19-02-2004, 02:42 PM
I agree completely, the low brow posts could be culled weekly as have little residual value.

Too much work for the moderators distinguishing between low brow posts and quality.

Some shockers like Matts on abortion (chuck an abortion for a sickie) come into the humor catoregy, there you are, we could also set up a separate thread for humor -- humor which arose on other threads could be transferred onto "humour". In "humour" people are more prepared to be shocked.

Then you'd get 15-page threads of people arguing over whether someone's jokes were actually funny or not.

arosar
19-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Current arrangements are acceptable: them mods aren't too intrusive and thuggery. All OK with me. Occassional slanging like matt and bill or Cl and Bill get boring and circuitous. But so what? You can just skip over them or tell 'em to shut up after a while and they just finish it anyway - like bill and CL did.

AR

Garvinator
19-02-2004, 03:04 PM
its nice to see that ppl dont want to accept responsibilites for their actions. as a couple of posters have said on here, ppl dont read the bb anymore because all they see is crap.

so those that get involved in the slanging matches are the ones responsible for it.

Bill Gletsos
19-02-2004, 03:13 PM
its nice to see that ppl dont want to accept responsibilites for their actions. as a couple of posters have said on here, ppl dont read the bb anymore because all they see is crap.

so those that get involved in the slanging matches are the ones responsible for it.
Actually I think a number of people feel that there is a lot of crap posted on the bb that has nothing to do with slanging matches. :whistle:

Garvinator
19-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Actually I think a number of people feel that there is a lot of crap posted on the bb that has nothing to do with slanging matches. :whistle:
what are you trying to say bill :p :hand:

Bill Gletsos
19-02-2004, 06:35 PM
what are you trying to say bill :p :hand:
I think its obvious what I was saying. :whistle:

ursogr8
19-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Current arrangements are acceptable: them mods aren't too intrusive and thuggery. All OK with me. Occassional slanging like matt and bill or Cl and Bill get boring and circuitous. But so what? You can just skip over them or tell 'em to shut up after a while and they just finish it anyway - like bill and CL did.

AR

This a good solution AR. Perhaps we should do it a little earlier next time; before the gxxse has bolted.

starter

antichrist
20-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Too much work for the moderators distinguishing between low brow posts and quality.

I will do it weekly, provided can be done remotely as I expect can be. Very easy!!

Then you'd get 15-page threads of people arguing over whether someone's jokes were actually funny or not.

Of course the 15 page just gets wiped out after one week if they themselves don't contain memorable humour.

As everyone laughs at my jokes enough said.

antichrist
20-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Can you elucidate?

I noticed that many posters have 20 times the amount of mine posted, the main reason is probably that they do not have to pay as online from their job. I don't have this concession so I limit accordingly, as well as I don't want to waste time on internet.

Rincewind
20-02-2004, 07:23 PM
I noticed that many posters have 20 times the amount of mine posted, the main reason is probably that they do not have to pay as online from their job. I don't have this concession so I limit accordingly, as well as I don't want to waste time on internet.

I'm pretty sure Bill, Matt and myself all have private ADSL/Cable access and bandwidth/speed is not a problem. ;) Pretty sure CL and KB have home access too though not sure the speed/bandwidth.

Kevin Bonham
20-02-2004, 08:00 PM

What sort of charge rate are you on? I am on home dial-up but I have 350Mb per month for a flat rate with small excess charges for going over that. So it is basically no issue for me.

PHAT
21-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Moderating is fine as it is. Remember, a BB cannot be all things to all people. Nothing is perfect but most things find a good balance. We have that now. It the current case, brawls peter-out, "full and frank" discusions are had, and the atmosphere of this BB probably keeps as many away as it attracts.

Bill Gletsos
21-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Considering you will often find those people all posting at 11pm-3am then I seriously doubt they are all posting from work. ;)

chesslover
23-02-2004, 06:29 PM
I'm pretty sure Bill, Matt and myself all have private ADSL/Cable access and bandwidth/speed is not a problem. ;) Pretty sure CL and KB have home access too though not sure the speed/bandwidth.

very good guess - how did you know?

I have home access, but have a dial up modem. My partner does not use the PC or the internet much as it confuses her, but her daughter uses the PC a lot for homework and games. It seems that there are some good Harry Potter websites - and although I have banned her from these as they promote witches and evil, I know by looking at the history, that she has visited it :wall:

I expect as she grows up more, she will use the internet more and more - although I have told her not to chat on the net with anyone. Currently I have unlimited access which I have had for about a couple of years, and pay about $24 monthly

I do not use the internet at work as I have a bad boss who hates me and will do anything to get rid of me - so I have to work very hard

chesslover
23-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Moderating is fine as it is. Remember, a BB cannot be all things to all people. Nothing is perfect but most things find a good balance. We have that now. It the current case, brawls peter-out, "full and frank" discusions are had, and the atmosphere of this BB probably keeps as many away as it attracts.

I agree with you. Good concise post

However paul B, can also explore the issue of a closed thread/section that is only open to moderators so that they can post posts that is of "high quality"

These options are not mutually exclusive

Bill Gletsos
23-02-2004, 06:34 PM
I have home access, but have a dial up modem. My partner does not use the PC or the internet much as it confuses her, but her daughter uses the PC a lot for homework and games. It seems that there are some good Harry Potter websites - and although I have banned her from these as they promote witches and evil, I know by looking at the history, that she has visited it :wall:
Oh you banned her.
Does she have the right to APPEAL. :lol:

Seriously I wont make any other comment at the moment as I'm sure others will soon jump on here.

After all I cant believe that someone who suggested having their daughter work as a stripper was preferable to working at McDonalds wont be making some comment. :lol: :owned: ;)

chesslover
23-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Oh you banned her.
Does she have the right to APPEAL. :lol:

Seriously I wont make any other comment at the moment as I'm sure others will soon jump on here.

After all I cant believe that someone who suggested having their daughter work as a stripper was preferable to working at McDonalds wont be making some comment. :lol: :owned: ;)

touche Supreme Leader touche :)

BTW Matt only has sons, not daughters

Bill Gletsos
23-02-2004, 06:47 PM
touche Supreme Leader touche :)

BTW Matt only has sons, not daughters
Considering Matt introduced me to his daughter at a junior event I think you just made a goose of yourself. :lol:

chesslover
23-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Bill are you SURE that is Matt's daughter?

I always thought that he had only sons

If I am wrong, I am wrong...

PHAT
23-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Two daughters, one son. I think DR has three sons.

chesslover
23-02-2004, 10:16 PM

Ok, then I am wrong. I for somereason thought that you only had sons, but I guess you know more about the composition of your children than me

And unlike a certain tall gentleman, I am happy to admit that I am wrong, when I am wrong

Sorry matt

PHAT
23-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Sorry matt

What for? You said nothing offensive. :)

Bill Gletsos
23-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Ok, then I am wrong. I for somereason thought that you only had sons, but I guess you know more about the composition of your children than me

And unlike a certain tall gentleman, I am happy to admit that I am wrong, when I am wrong

Sorry matt
Actualy CL wou were not just mistaken or even wrong but W-R-O-N-G. :owned: :whistle:

Bill Gletsos
23-02-2004, 10:40 PM
I think thats right Matt.
Actually I thought both you and he had mentioned your respective children in a thread a while back. I just can't remember which thread or which BB butI think it was the old ACF bb and that it could have disappeared after the Brazilian attack. Anyway I cannot be bothered looking. ;)

chesslover
23-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Actualy CL wou were not just mistaken or even wrong but W-R-O-N-G. :owned: :whistle:

sometimes you have got to learn to win with grace :p

everytime you beat your opponent in chess, do you shout and carry on how you beat them and do a victory jig?

Bill Gletsos
24-02-2004, 12:39 AM
sometimes you have got to learn to win with grace :p

everytime you beat your opponent in chess, do you shout and carry on how you beat them and do a victory jig?
As far as I am concerned you deserve what you get. :whistle:
Just look at how many times you used the words W-R-O-N-G in the one post previously, let alone in multiple posts. :whistle:

arosar
24-02-2004, 11:48 AM
I do not use the internet at work as I have a bad boss who hates me and will do anything to get rid of me - so I have to work very hard

So you're actually that poor sod at work that you kept referring to as your mate. (Sorry to peanbrain as I know you already busted this).

Now, we're all buddies here man - tell us the story. We know he gave you a bad rap in a performance review. But why? What's the history behind all this? Also, you mentioned that you sell electronics equipment in Paramatta, right?

AR

paulb
26-02-2004, 07:12 PM
What sort of charge rate are you on? I am on home dial-up but I have 350Mb per month for a flat rate with small excess charges for going over that. So it is basically no issue for me.

Kevin, I think the issue Peter might be referring to is not just the cost of connecting but the time taken to wait for pages to load, etc. on a dial-up connection. It's certainly an issue for me: I tend to scan the board briefly from work (cable connection) rather than home, because even with the PHP speed-enhancements and the super-dooper server, it's slow on dial-up - and slower still when you wait for a page to load and find it's just small talk!

(info for Jeo: The new vBulletin BB is significantly slower for me on dial-up than the one we moved to in January; it's roughly about as fast as the old YABB board was for me on dial-up. Not a criticism - I think the extra features justify the move to Bulletin - but it's just for your information. Does my experience match that of other dial-up users??)

ursogr8
26-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Kevin, I think the issue Peter might be referring to is not just the cost of connecting but the time taken to wait for pages to load, etc. on a dial-up connection. It's certainly an issue for me: I tend to scan the board briefly from work (cable connection) rather than home, because even with the PHP speed-enhancements and the super-dooper server, it's slow on dial-up - and slower still when you wait for a page to load and find it's just small talk!

(info for Jeo: The new vBulletin BB is significantly slower for me on dial-up than the one we moved to in January; it's roughly about as fast as the old YABB board was for me on dial-up. Not a criticism - I think the extra features justify the move to Bulletin - but it's just for your information. Does my experience match that of other dial-up users??)

I am on dial-up and find K's new board the best of the three that I have used so far for speed.
It is the time of the day that determines my screen-fill times. For example 8am on a Sunday morning everything is hunk-dory fast. But 7pm on a week-night I can't open more than 2 or 3 windows simultaneously without suffering time-outs and sometimes disconnects. I put it down to my bodgy ISP with thin arteries.

starter

Kevin Bonham
26-02-2004, 11:51 PM
I find this one significantly faster than the YaBB board but slightly slower on average than the most recent. On rare instances I've had quite slow load-ups on this one but I suspect that's a problem with my ISP not the board.

skip to my lou
27-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Ive opened multiple connections using IDM with bigpond cable to chesskit server 1 (this one) and get a full max speed of 1.2 Mega Bytes (10mbit) / second {205ms ping}, so... no problem here.

The only problem is the server load is around 2.5 which is bad. Im guessing the tablebase downloads are causing this. I can put the tablebases on a new server but my cable upload is still 128kb/s so I can't do it in the near future.