PDA

View Full Version : My Amature Chess Video

Gilachess
12-04-2006, 07:07 PM
I've created a chess video with audio commentaries using Camtasia.

I think the technology is great for teaching chess. However I'm only a patzer but if a stronger player was the commentator it would be a fantastic teaching tool.

Take a look at it here:

http://chesstalk.blogspot.com

Any strong players in Australia using this as a teaching medium?

firegoat7
13-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Mate,

I didnt get it to work.

cheers Fg7

Gilachess
13-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Mate,

I didnt get it to work.

cheers Fg7
It requires flash to work.
Do you have it installed?

Here's a direct link to the video.

http://videos.maribelajar.com/ctv002/ctv002.html

ElevatorEscapee
13-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi Gila, I got it to work, and quite enjoyed it. :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Some feedback:

All in all, I consider this to be a fantastic way of presenting chess games over the internet, and I congratulate you on your efforts!

Now for some constructive (hopefully) criticism:

I found your accent a little difficult to understand, this is more my fault than yours as I am used to hearing the Australian dialect. Maybe if you talked a little slower at some points I would have found it easier to understand. :)

Also, I would have liked a bit more analysis of "what might have been"... for instance, you mention how Kasparov's Nc5 would have been a blunder because of Bc6 forking Black's Rook and Queen, but you fail to mention what would have happened if Judit had played Bc6 after Kasparov's moving his knight from d7 to f8. (Surely the bishop move still forks Queen and rook?)

I would have enjoyed a more controllable "play" slide control, (eg so I could go back to move 10 by sliding the "play" bar rather then having to guess judging on the relative position of what moves had been played).

All in all a top notch effort, and I believe, a genuine way forward for presenting chess on the internet (especially with online coaching!).

I wish you all the very best with your endeavours and I hope it is a great success for you!

Cheers,

EE. :D

Gilachess
14-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Thank you so much for your feedback.

I got almost zero comments from my own country. It's very encouraging as I think this is a great way for presenting a game. :owned:

Ok. I'll try to improve on my speech in terms of slowing down and pronouncing things more clearly.

If the night had gone to f8 the Bishop c6 fork would not have been possible because black covers the the square twice with the Queen and Rook. Yeah I should have covered the other possibilites in the game too. Will take more time to do this in my next video.

The Judit Polgar - Kasparov was only my second video. In case you are interested here's my very first video:-

http://videos.maribelajar.com/ctv001/CTV001.html

ElevatorEscapee
25-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi Gila,

I've just got around to watching your first video, which I quite enjoyed. I found the ideas to be well explained and easy to follow. :clap:

(The only minor glitch was that I initially had to turn the sound on my speakers right up to hear anything at all, then I found the volume control on your video. :lol: )

I have a couple of ideas that might enhance the presentation:

I would like to see a score of the game in a box next to the board, with a coloured cursor (or other indicator) highlighting the current move. It might be difficult to program, but if the person viewing could use their mouse to click on the notation and have the video jump to that particular move, it might be more precise than trying to move the slide bar back and forth to find the right spot.

A little more biographical information about each player (eg country of origin, achievements, etc) and the situation before the game is started might help to build up excitement and capture the viewer's interest right from the start.

(For example "Player X needs to win this game to earn his final grandmaster norm and become a grandmaster", or "this is the final round of the tournament, and the two players are battling it out for first place")

As a long term goal, having the players themselves provide the commentary, or even to simply provide a few comments each to add to the main commentary, would help to give more insight to what they were thinking at the time.

I am reminded somewhat of "The Master Game", which was popular on UK tv in the 1980s, where two masters would play their game under normal time limits and conditions, and this footage was sped up for the tv show, with the masters commenting on each move what they were thinking.

They would provide their comments in the present tense, so viewers felt that there were inside the minds of the masters as the game was happening before their eyes.

================================================== =====

Personally I think this is a terrific way to present chess, potentially combining the 'entertainment' elements of a standard video/dvd, with the greater interactivity provided by playing through a game with a chess computer, (ie being able to select certain variations easily, selecting games in the order you wish to view them, etc).

The commentary could be varied depending on the target audience.

The same move in a game could have this commentary if aimed at instructing the viewer: 'Black responds to White's attack on the queenside by breaking through in the centre. Of course there is an old chess saying, "a premature attack on the flank should be met with play in the centre"'.

Or use more emotional language (more like a sports commentary) if aimed at entertaining, 'Black crashes through the centre! White's pieces can do nothing about it, they are all left stranded on the queenside!'

Ultimately it could lead to a whole series of instructive interactive online chess videos, even to famous players presenting collections of their own games in the same format.

I hope you have fun in creating these, and I wish you the best of luck in developing the idea. :D