PDA

View Full Version : Dramatic change of heart by Howard

Lucena
21-03-2006, 12:08 PM
John Howard recently expressed regrets over the Iraq war (http://www.richardneville.com/Satire/Howard_speech_150306.pdf). Dramatic stuff, with Howard showing real backbone.

qpawn
21-03-2006, 12:55 PM
A very nice piece of mea culpa by rodent. Just a pity that it occurred in an alternative universe where Milosevic got eaten by a dingo upon being born and the Chamberlains have never had a cross word with a dingo.

:D

I was of the opinion then, and am now, that the invasion and overthrow of Iraq was illegal. Of course the US does whatever it wants to whoever it wants so my grievance is moot. Thses acts had to be legally justified by the coalition of the willing:

[1] invasion of a sovereign nation: Iraq [which btw was a puppet govt supported by the US in the early 80s but let's leave that for the moment]
[2] annexation of the nation involving death and destruction for civilians including damage to fundamental infrastructure.
[3]Overthrowing the nation's government/leadership and replacing it.

Now, all THREE of thses points have to be justified for the actions to be legal. I can not see how even with the security council's apparent vote to support the invasion all 3 can be satisfied.

Now, ok you say why should I give a toss? So what to international law; Saddam was a tyrant and we threw him out yippee [sounds like what rodent would argue] .

Well, before we had the United Nations everyone, basically, invaded everyone. If you wanted rubber you just jumped over the fence and grabbed it vis a vis Japan in WW2. The actions of the coalition of the willing were a setback in that respect; now anyone else can invade another country and say "the US did it so it's good for us". That's not a quantifiable, utilitarian outcome but it is still one that matters.

Lucena
21-03-2006, 08:51 PM
By the way, the Government had the site featuring the "Iraq regrets" shut down.:doh:

ElevatorEscapee
21-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Now, can we get America to invade Sovereign Hill? ;)

four four two
21-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Hell yeah!,EE.:lol:

I would love to see those yank tanks take out the old fashioned lolly shop...show those Howard supporters what american "democracy" really looks like. Fire in the hole...;)