PDA

View Full Version : Chess Guru - program of failures?

ElevatorEscapee
14-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help me with a little translation difficulty.

I was surfing the web just now, and noticed a French computer program by the name of "Chess Guru", http://chessguru.free.fr/ (if you type in http://www.chessguru.com it will redirect you).

Anyway, it brings up a page with the following text in French:

"Chess Guru est un programme d'échecs amateur écrit par Joël Rivat.
Chess Guru a participé aux championnats de France des programmes d'échecs entre 1990 et 2000, se classant premier en 1996 (cf. French Computer Chess Championships).
Chess Guru a aussi participé aux championnats du monde des programmes d'échecs en 1997 et s'est classé 14ième sur 34. (cf. 15th WMCC Paris 1997).
Jeu d'échecs"

Now, when I run this through Altavista's Babelfish translator, this is the result:

"Chess Guru is a program of failures amateur written by Joel Rivat.

Chess Guru took part in the championships of France of the programmes of failures between 1990 and 2000, being classified first in 1996 (cf French Computer Chess Championships).

Chess Guru took also part in the championships of the world of the programmes of failures in 1997 and was classified 14ième on 34. (cf 15th WMCC Paris 1997). Set of failures"

They can't seriously be writing about computer chess "programs of failures" can they? If so, I reckon I could write a program that fails! ;)

Any French speakers out there who care to shed a little light on this one?

four four two
14-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Sacre Bleu! They have modelled a chess programme on DC's personality.:lol:
No wonder its not a winner!:whistle:

Igor_Goldenberg
15-03-2006, 09:07 AM
I don't know french, but "d'échecs" is more likely to be chess rather then failure (I know, it opens an opportunity for some great jokes:lol: )

BabelFish sometimes gives very funny translation, woudn't rely on it

Rincewind
15-03-2006, 09:13 AM
I don't know french, but "d'échecs" is more likely to be chess rather then failure (I know, it opens an opportunity for some great jokes:lol: )

BabelFish sometimes gives very funny translation, woudn't rely on it

My understanding of French (which is very sketchy) is that Igor is 100% correct. "Programme d'échecs" should have been translated as "chess program" as in a computer program that plays chess and not "programme of failure".

Denis_Jessop
20-03-2006, 10:06 AM
But note that they were amateur failures so they could have been quite gross.

It's right that what is referred to is a "chess program", first described as "amateur" presumably because the writer isn't making money out of it or is not a professional programmer (?) The rest of the translation is reasonably OK. In the 1997 World Computer Chess Championships bit "finishing 14th out of 34" is a better translation as is "finishing first" in relation to the 1996 French CCC but they are minor matters.

DJ

Basil
19-05-2006, 12:26 AM
"Chess Guru est un programme d'échecs amateur écrit par Joël Rivat.
Chess Guru a participé aux championnats de France des programmes d'échecs entre 1990 et 2000, se classant premier en 1996 (cf. French Computer Chess Championships).
Chess Guru a aussi participé aux championnats du monde des programmes d'échecs en 1997 et s'est classé 14ième sur 34. (cf. 15th WMCC Paris 1997).
Jeu d'échecs"

An exact translation, yes I speak French [groan] is:

Chess Guru is an amateur chess programme written by Joel Rivat.
Chess Guru participated in the 'French Chess Programmes Championships' between 1990 and 2000, claiming first in 1996.
Chess Guru also participated in the World Chess Programmes Championships in 1997 and came 14th out of 34.

ElevatorEscapee
19-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Merde! :lol:

Basil
19-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Merde! :lol:
EE - we have spent a lot of time bamboozling eachother tonight. I will not be surprised with either of the outcomes to follow ...

What you have said [Merde] translates to "shit". I have a feeling you meant to say "Merci", which is "Thank you".

If the former, then you win the bad pun award for the night. A pun in a second language is eggsellent!

ElevatorEscapee
19-05-2006, 11:04 PM
My apologies.

It's embarrassing how a single space missed out can change the meaning into something rude!

I am not a natural French speaker, so must rely upon Babelfish.

I meant to type 'Mer de :lol:' ... or 'Mer de rire', (which as a French speaker you will know means 'Sea of laughter') to express how much fun I was having. However, I didn't remember the exact French word for laughter at the time, so I improvised. :oops:

I am very embarassed by this fo' Pa and I hope this thread (and my embarrasment) will sink slowly to the depths of the sea of the past, or the 'sea of then' ('Mer de alors') as they say in the French way. :cool:

Sutek
22-05-2006, 07:24 PM
You can find out more about Chess Guru at
http://www.playwitharena.com/
Chess Guru only works on Linux systems according to the site.

Click on the menu bar <Partners> and there's a photo of
Chess Guru vs. AnMon

Follow this link (or click on <engine, links>)
http://www.playwitharena.com/directory/engines.htm

and you will find a list of engines, amongst them is Bill Jordan's "Awesome" and many other free engines.

btw Arena would have to be one of the best free chess programs around!
Well worth a look.

Dozy
24-05-2006, 06:30 PM
There are gurus and, then again, there are other gurus.

Many people didn't realise that Yogi Berra, the man with the mangled vocab, was a chess guru and there's a story about it at http://www.rootyhillchess.org/yogi.html

Of course, it's been there for over 12 months so you might have seen it already but if you haven't it's a fun approach with some interesting positions.