PDA

View Full Version : Fire Alarm during a Tournament

1min_grandmaster
10-03-2006, 09:06 AM
This scenario has not yet happened to me yet, but I think it is likely to happen given that I am the arbiter of tournaments at Sydney Uni, where many buildings often have false alarms.

I start this thread to get the valued opinions of other people regarding this situation. That is, if you are the arbiter during a tournament and the fire alarm goes off, what should you do? How would you handle the various problems that will arise? What can be done to minimise interruptions, the possibility of cheating, etc?

It seems obviously necessary to instruct all players to stop their games and clocks, evacuate the building, and hope to be able to resume soon afterwards. But what should be done if the playing venue cannot be held for longer than as is necessary as a result of the alarm? We play our games on a weekly basis (something like a round per week) and of course students have to go to class, meaning that they cannot just stick around for longer to finish the game.

Trent Parker
10-03-2006, 03:29 PM
IMHO

Option 1. Adjourn the game.

Option 2. Take the time of the delay off the clocks. If cannot be done see 1.

Qption 3. Call it a Draw without rating that game if being rated.

Frank Walker
10-03-2006, 03:39 PM
There was a test alarm in brisbane on one of the days

1min_grandmaster
11-03-2006, 11:22 PM
There was a test alarm in brisbane on one of the days

Do you know what the arbiter did in this case?

Trent Parker
11-03-2006, 11:52 PM
I remember the year before last at a Fairfield weekender the Fire alarm went off. The clocks were stopped and then continued when it was ascertained that it was a drill and then play was started again when the sirens stopped. This also happened when the RSL do their thing of a night time.

Garvinator
12-03-2006, 12:32 AM
happened when the RSL do their thing of a night time.
it is called the 'Ode to the Fallen' I believe tcn

PHAT
12-03-2006, 04:22 PM
it is called the 'Ode to the Fallen' I believe tcn

Is "Roxanne" by the Police one of those ode thingies.

eclectic
12-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Is "Roxanne" by the Police one of those ode thingies.

it might better be described as a dirge ... as might the rsl thing

hmm, wonder if the rsl woud ever do a dirge for those who ...

well, as john pilger once noted, there isn't a single monument to them ...

so why would the rsl wax lyrical about them?

i was thinking ... given this thread is about what to do if a fire alarm goes off during a tournament what if we were to find out what happens if a tribal initiation ceremony is disturbed by the same ... what happens there?

we might glean some helpful hints ...

have i steered this post closer towards the thread topic, matt?

;)

:cool:

arosar
14-03-2006, 03:26 PM
These stoppages for the thingie always amused me a bit - like in Fairfield. I look at some of the foreign visitors and I wonder what it must be that goes through their heads. One moment they're happily considering a move, then suddenly, they have to get up, the place goes dark and people start praying. It must feel a bit odd for them.

AR

bergil
14-03-2006, 03:30 PM
These stoppages for the thingie always amused me a bit - like in Fairfield. I look at some of the foreign visitors and I wonder what it must be that goes through their heads. One moment they're happily considering a move, then suddenly, they have to get up, the place goes dark and people start praying. It must feel a bit odd for them.

AR
Why would it be odd to show respect??

Libby
15-03-2006, 06:57 AM
We had a fire at a schools comp a few years ago. We were at a Club and the oven caught fire. When the alarms went off we had that "half-ignore" business happening as we figured it was a drill until smoke wafted into the room.

Nothing better than having to clear 160 kids in a hurry. Look after them in a carpark for as long as it takes for the Fire Brigade to work out the flames were out by the time they got there and then get the competition going again.

And still finish on time!

Lucena
19-06-2006, 11:30 PM
This scenario has not yet happened to me yet, but I think it is likely to happen given that I am the arbiter of tournaments at Sydney Uni, where many buildings often have false alarms.

That brings back memories...I remember there were often false alarms around the Carslaw Building area. Ah, the good old days...