PDA

View Full Version : ACF - One on One with the Webmaster

arosar
12-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Yo PaulB . . . how come the link to the BB was removed from the left nav aread. I had a chess player today complain to me that the BB link was removed. I told him to scroll down further and you'll see it in the main content.

Could you add it in?

AR

Bill Gletsos
12-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Yo PaulB . . . how come the link to the BB was removed from the left nav aread. I had a chess player today complain to me that the BB link was removed. I told him to scroll down further and you'll see it in the main content.
AR, it was simply moved further down the left nav area and had its named changed to ChessKit Forum.

Paul S
24-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Hiya, Paul B.

By now I'm sure most BB readers are suspensefully waiting for the verdict on the results of the voting for Best BB Post of 2003! ;) :lol: ;)

When does the voting cease and when will the results be announced?

Cheers

Paul S

P.S. For the benefit of those BB readers who are interested, my vote went for Starter's post (Nomination 5) for best BB post of 2003. However, it was a close call between Starter's post and Jenni's post (Nomination 6).

Paul S
01-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Hiya, Paul B.

By now I'm sure most BB readers are suspensefully waiting for the verdict on the results of the voting for Best BB Post of 2003! ;) :lol: ;)

When does the voting cease and when will the results be announced?

Cheers

Paul S

P.S. For the benefit of those BB readers who are interested, my vote went for Starter's post (Nomination 5) for best BB post of 2003. However, it was a close call between Starter's post and Jenni's post (Nomination 6).

Hi there Paul B (esteemed ACF Webmaster!)

Just a short post to bring this to the "top of the pile" and thereby hopefully catch your attention next time you look at the BB.

What are the answers to my post of 24/2/04 (refer above)?

chesslover
01-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi there Paul B (esteemed ACF Webmaster!)

Just a short post to bring this to the "top of the pile" and thereby hopefully catch your attention next time you look at the BB.

What are the answers to my post of 24/2/04 (refer above)?

I am also not sure when the deadline for the votes is, or if Paul B will even give a progress tally - although that might unfairly influence the outcome

paulb
01-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Hi

haven't had very many votes. I'll provisionally make the deadline for voting on Thursday, but if no clear winner has emerged we might have to have preferential voting or something like that.

arosar
04-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Hey PaulieB mate. Lemme just say that these changed you've made to the email newsletter mate, they're brilliant. Very professional looking. Good job mate.

AR

Kevin Bonham
04-03-2004, 02:20 PM
haven't had very many votes. I'll provisionally make the deadline for voting on Thursday, but if no clear winner has emerged we might have to have preferential voting or something like that.

Or eliminate all but the leading few and have a second round, with those who have already voted for the remaining posts not required to revote.

paulb
04-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Hey PaulieB mate. Lemme just say that these changed you've made to the email newsletter mate, they're brilliant. Very professional looking. Good job mate.

AR

Thanks for the kind words, but the changes consist mainly in making the html as minimalist as possible. And the reason I've done that is to try to get around the *!%$ spam filters, which operate on exraordinary rules. A few examples: the word "dear" increases your spam rating. so does the use of colours or putting in links like "see the ratings page" rather than "go to http://www.auschess.org.au/ratings ".

It's all enormously frustrating. Also intriguing that using a bigpond sending address increases your spam score, while hotmail does not (I assume that indicates the power of Microsoft).

And it's now called "newsletter" instead of "bulletin" because that lowers your spam score.

chesslover
04-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Or eliminate all but the leading few and have a second round, with those who have already voted for the remaining posts not required to revote.

Once again the Grand Poobah has come up with a most brilliant suggestion

In many parts of the world where there are Presidential elections, there is a "run off" election if the leading candidate does not get more than 50.1% of the vote, or the amount of voters do not exceed a certain percentage.

maybe just having the top 3 or 4 posts in a run off election? Is not today the last day for voting?

Rincewind
04-03-2004, 10:55 PM
I haven't bothered voting because I thought the whole thing was ridiculous in the first place.

But if the interminable ordeal will end sooner I urge anyone who hasn't voted to just pick one and vote. I think starter nominated my gospel re-writes If you want to vote for them, please do. I can guarantee I won't gloat over winning and will donate the prize, if any, to the Olympiad Appeal.

But if you don't want to do that just vote for something, anything!

Please let's just end this thing.

Kevin Bonham
05-03-2004, 01:35 AM
If there was a runoff to break a tie or close vote I'd suggest keep it short, a week at most.

Since it's meant to be a secret ballot I'd rather not discuss whether I voted or not or what for.

Garvinator
05-03-2004, 08:41 AM
i have forgotten, where do you view the candidate posts? :eek: :doh:

ursogr8
05-03-2004, 08:46 AM
i have forgotten, where do you view the candidate posts? :eek: :doh:

gg
Look at
>>>>>>> Best posts of 2003>>>>>
in Aus Chess

Bill Gletsos
05-03-2004, 05:51 PM
paulb,
Could you please inform us how many people have actually bothered to vote.

Rincewind
05-03-2004, 06:37 PM
paulb,
Could you please inform us how many people have actually bothered to vote.

I know that despite my imploring email, I still haven't been bothered. :rolleyes: