PDA

View Full Version : Age data, sf A Rating System

ursogr8
05-03-2006, 05:48 PM
hi Bill

I notice some of the rating information comes out as 'best U18' etc.
Does the ACF have a policy or process document to define AGE for tourneys?

You know that we run quite a few in Victoria, in particular, rapid events.
We have faithfully collected D.O.B., although I must admit we miss some recently since we have switched from age-prizes to Ratings prizes in our ROOKIES Cup competition.
We have had no negative feedback about the privacy of collecting dd/mm/yyyy; but we could always fall back to just collecting Y.O.B. if pushed on this aspect.
I have heard some tournaments (in other places) award junior prizes based on YOB as the measure, in contrast to DOB.
The recent Internet challenge had some discussion on age/dates as at the time of entry. This would produce an administrative challenge to our lack of a data-base with integrity of information.

regards
starter

Bill Gletsos
05-03-2006, 07:25 PM
hi Bill

I notice some of the rating information comes out as 'best U18' etc.
Does the ACF have a policy or process document to define AGE for tourneys?The Top Uxx lists use the same criteria as FIDE. i.e. The players age as of the 1st Jan.

Some states however base it on the players actual age at the time the event starts.

Therefore a player could be eligible to play in the AAustralian Junior U12 tournament in mid jnauray and the FIDE U14 event at any time throughout 2006 but may not be eligible for a state U12 title if they had turned 12 by the time the event started.

Having DOB rather than YOB on file serves the dual requirements.

ursogr8
05-03-2006, 08:04 PM
The Top Uxx lists use the same criteria as FIDE. i.e. The players age as of the 1st Jan.

Some states however base it on the players actual age at the time the event starts.

Therefore a player could be eligible to play in the AAustralian Junior U12 tournament in mid jnauray and the FIDE U14 event at any time throughout 2006 but may not be eligible for a state U12 title if they had turned 12 by the time the event started.

Having DOB rather than YOB on file serves the dual requirements.

Thanks Bill