PDA

View Full Version : 6 Bidders for the 2010 Chess Olympiad

Garvinator
05-03-2006, 02:13 PM
From the fide website-

FIDE is publishing the list of bidders for the World Chess Olympiad 2010 who have expressed their wish to organise the Olympiad in 2010.

Polish Chess Federation is proposing to organize the event in Poznan, in August 2010.

Russian Chess Federation is proposing to organize the event in Khanty-Mansiysk, Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Region-Yugra in September 2010.

Latvian Chess Federation is proposing to organize the event in Riga, from 14 to 30 May 2010.

Estonian Chess Federation is proposing to organize the event in Tallinn, September/October 2010.

Serbia and Montenegro Chess Federation is proposing to organize the event in Budva, from 22 October to 5 November 2010.

Argentinean Chess Federation is proposing to organize the event in San Luis, from 15 October to 15 November 2010.

The final decision will be taken at the meeting of the FIDE General Assembly in Turin, 2-3 June 2006.

My comments-

I wonder if these will change or be affected if there is a change of leadership in fide, especially Khanty?

arosar
05-03-2006, 11:53 PM
IM J. Petronic informs me in the blog that Estonia may not be a genuine candidate.

http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/2006/03/2010-oympiad-bids.html

AR

Garvinator
06-03-2006, 12:11 AM
IM J. Petronic informs me in the blog that Estonia may not be a genuine candidate.

http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/2006/03/2010-oympiad-bids.html

AR
I would be going for Argentina myself, but all is of course dependant on the quality of the bids etc.

Igor_Goldenberg
06-03-2006, 03:38 PM
I will not apply if it's held in Khanty-Mansiysk:D

On the other hand, I will get lower chances to be selected if it's held in a decent place:)

pballard
06-03-2006, 03:49 PM
I will not apply if it's held in Khanty-Mansiysk:D

i.e. chances of you going = 0.

On the other hand, I will get lower chances to be selected if it's held in a decent place:)

less than zero? Sounds like my chances :)

arosar
06-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Montenegro chess fed president claims Russian and Argentinian bid appliations were incomplete according to me contact in S&M.

AR

eclectic
06-03-2006, 06:02 PM
like ggrayggray i vote argentina too as it has the latest dates giving the aus olympiad appeal coordinator for that year more time to raise money

maybe the plane flights might be cheaper too (somehow doubt it though)

[will there be an australian [10th anniversay mount buller memorial] bid in 2014? ... sorry :rolleyes: ]

let's be thankful antichrist ain't here to start a poll ... :hmm:

Garvinator
06-03-2006, 06:45 PM
maybe the plane flights might be cheaper too (somehow doubt it though) for us unlikely, spring to spring.

will there be an australian [10th anniversay mount buller memorial] bid in 2014? ... sorry :rolleyes: unlikely;)

let's be thankful antichrist ain't here to start a poll ... :hmm:
i was thinking of creating a poll when i made the thread, but since the bids werent finished, thought i would wait.

four four two
12-03-2006, 12:18 PM
4 years is a long time in international chess organising,alot can change.

Personally I would like to see the olmpiad held on a continent that it hasnt been held before. This would help develop the international profile of chess and potentially bring new sponsors,both public and private,to the game.

Nth America,Australia,and Africa have never held an olmpiad.
Viable hosting cities in those three continents would be ...

Vancouver,Toronto,Montreal, New York,Chicago,Philidelphia,Boston,San Francisco,Melbourne,Sydney,Capetown,Tunis.

Do we want to see the same old contenders? Or should we be looking at new horizons for international chess.:hmm:

Garvinator
12-03-2006, 02:25 PM
4 years is a long time in international chess organising,alot can change.

Personally I would like to see the olmpiad held on a continent that it hasnt been held before. This would help develop the international profile of chess and potentially bring new sponsors,both public and private,to the game.

Nth America,Australia,and Africa have never held an olmpiad.
Viable hosting cities in those three continents would be ...

Vancouver,Toronto,Montreal, New York,Chicago,Philidelphia,Boston,San Francisco,Melbourne,Sydney,Capetown,Tunis.

Do we want to see the same old contenders? Or should we be looking at new horizons for international chess.:hmm:

Out of the three continents you mention, North America would be the only one in any real likely position at the moment of hosting an olympiad. I believe that to get a successful bid, quite a bit of federal government support is required, which Australia doesnt have.

four four two
12-03-2006, 02:41 PM
The chances of australia hosting the 2010 olmpiad are small,but not impossible.

Most host countries ,whether in europe or elsewhere,will require government assitance to host an olmpiad.;)

Garvinator
12-03-2006, 03:15 PM
The chances of australia hosting the 2010 olmpiad are small,but not impossible.

Most host countries ,whether in europe or elsewhere,will require government assitance to host an olmpiad.;)
we have three chances of 2010, i am sure you can work out what they are.

four four two
12-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Buckleys and one is two,which is the third?:lol: ;)

Garvinator
12-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Buckleys and one is two,which is the third?:lol: ;)
i think that is buckleys and none;) the third one isnt fit for this forum, maybe in the tea sofa it is:uhoh: