PDA

View Full Version : Where to get fritz 8/9?

forcelima
01-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Hello, I'm pretty new to chess. Well not new but I only got interested not long ago. Does anyone know where I can get fritz 8/9 in Melbourne (preferably somewhere in the city, boxhill, doncaster, balwyn area)? When I looked at chessaustralia.com.au I saw Fritz 9 for 99.95 but wasn't sure if that's a complete version or something, because I saw the Deep Fritz 8 for 199.95 and I didn't see the Fritz 8 anywhere on the site. So should I get fritz 9?

Thanks

jase
01-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Get Fritz 9. Any shop selling it for $100 is giving you the RRP, or a better deal.
There's a few chess shops down your way, like Chess Ideas, though I don't have their contact details.

In Sydney, both Australian Chess Enterprises (www.chessaustralia.com.au) & Chess Discount Sales (www.chessdiscountsales.com) retail Fritz 9. They're both excellent suppliers and will post to you very promptly.

pax
02-03-2006, 03:13 PM
If you are only interested in the "chess computer" aspect, there are free options that are as strong or stronger than Fritz. Let me know if you want more info.

If you are interested in other stuff (playchess server, databases etc) then go ahead and get Fritz.

edit: by the way Deep Fritz is a multi processor version that you almost certainly don't need.

qpawn
02-03-2006, 05:46 PM
About 3 weeks ago I went to the Austalian chess enterprise chess and bought the Fritz 8 champion edition: 49 dollars plus 10 dollars delivery etc. All that champion edition means is that this extra disc is chucked in with Andrew Martin etc giving lectures . Since I can't see their board, only their ugly mugs [trust me, Andrew Martin, Peter Wells and Kaspa ain't model material ] , I don't see the real point of this extra CD at all. Anyway. Now I can not find that fritz 8 champion edition product on their site; there are only, it seems, other versions of Fritz for 99 dollars etc. So, if I bought the last el cheapo chuckout fritz 8 I apologise! :D

I looked at another site [can't recall what] and found Fritz 8 champion edition for 99 dollars!! What a bloody rip off! :D Well, they can take their extra 40 bucks and go :owned: and :eek: and :whistle:

Fritz 8 is quite strong [ELO 2580 seems to be the highest setting] but there are other stronger programs [eg shredder & fruit] . Also, if you are looking for a program for storing games, retrieving and analysing, as in correspondence chess, Fritz is very awkward IMO : its engine does not turn off easily and there appears to be no referee mode [i.e where the computer assesses only a move's legality]. What Fritz does do that is its standout feature, IMO, is its blunder check/full analysis feature that is mindblowing to me - you bang the whole game in with whatever parameters [set the ply count, time taken from 30 mins to all night if you want] you wish and get the whole game analysed. It comes up with comments like "White's pawn shield is broken by this error - do...instead.