PDA

View Full Version : anger as chess motivation

qpawn
27-02-2006, 08:03 PM
What motivates chess players to spend so many hours on openings, endgames, reading books etc?

In my case it is a burning nuclear reactor of rage. A player was once dismissive of my abilities , said I was hopeless at the middlegame and classified me as a "1350 player". So I got some coaching and Fritz. I sent some of my Fritz games to him with a letter saying that I would "show him" that he was wrong. And when I play a good game I will send him another letter.

I feel no anger towards any opponnent; just rage towards this smart alec so and so. :evil:

PHAT
27-02-2006, 08:14 PM
In my case it is a burning nuclear reactor of rage. ... I feel no anger towards any opponnent; just rage towards this smart alec so and so. :evil:

Get a grip. :rolleyes:

WhiteElephant
27-02-2006, 09:09 PM
A friend of mine, after losing a tight endgame to Stephen Solomon, was dismayed a few days later to find that Stephen had annotated the game in a newsletter, saying that my friend had lost the game due to a weakness in the endgame.

This motivated him to study endgames and a few months later, he found himself in another tight endgame against Stephen. The result this time? A win to my friend.

FM_Bill
27-03-2006, 03:34 PM
If you are too angry you will overpress.

If you are too fearful and cautious you will be trodden underfoot.

You need to get the balance between boldness and caution right.:)

qpawn
27-03-2006, 03:50 PM
The right idea was in Star Wars:

Obe Wan Kenobi to Luke: Use the force Luke; trust your feelings.

:D

In all seriousness here's another empirical psychology PHD for someone. Take 20 people all on the same ELO rating. Get 10 of the players as angry as hell. Send the other 10 to something that relaxed them: classical music , spa whatever.

Would the angries do better than the happys? :D :(

firegoat7
27-03-2006, 09:21 PM
A friend of mine, after losing a tight endgame to Stephen Solomon, was dismayed a few days later to find that Stephen had annotated the game in a newsletter, saying that my friend had lost the game due to a weakness in the endgame.

Of course, compared to Stephen's endgames almost all of us are weak.;)

cheers Fg7

ElevatorEscapee
27-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Of course, compared to Stephen's endgames almost all of us are weak.;)

cheers Fg7
Breaker breaker big buddy, and that's a big 10 four! ;) :lol:

Alan Shore
27-03-2006, 10:33 PM
The right idea was in Star Wars:

Obe Wan Kenobi to Luke: Use the force Luke; trust your feelings.

:D

In all seriousness here's another empirical psychology PHD for someone. Take 20 people all on the same ELO rating. Get 10 of the players as angry as hell. Send the other 10 to something that relaxed them: classical music , spa whatever.

Would the angries do better than the happys? :D :(

Well first of all you'd need more than 20 people.. and to make sure they're playing strengths are about the same.. and you'd need to play many games like that over time to see if there emerges a pattern.

But as a chessplayer.. this fury is colloquially known as 'The Hate'. The Hate occurs more frequently in losses where you've been swindled. It also occurs more frequently in very fast games (1 0) as the more games lost in succession increased Hate, as well as how the losses occur (losing on time when you have a mate in 1) and cheapos that occur on the net for example, 2.. Bg4 and 3.. Bxd1 further increasing Hate.

Be assurred, although Hate can make one more determined to win, it very rarely works as the player is too blinded by fury and will miss oft simple tactics which will only increase Hate further.

Thus, with this as my rationale I would predict Hate to have a more detrimental effect on one's game than one in a relaxed state. :D

ElevatorEscapee
27-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Does hate give you more power if you are playing for the dark side or the light side?

four four two
28-03-2006, 12:23 AM
"Much anger in him I feel,anger leads to hate,hate leads to SUFFERING! This is the path to the DARK SIDE"... so says Yoda.;)

Rincewind
28-03-2006, 05:48 AM
"Much anger in him I feel,anger leads to hate,hate leads to SUFFERING! This is the path to the DARK SIDE"... so says Yoda.;)

Fear of losing is also a path to the Dark Side.