PDA

View Full Version : Hi, am a beginning at Chess can people give me some good tips for chess?

wisclady1987
21-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Hi, I am a beginning at chess, I know how to play, but would like to know some good tips on playing chees. Like what are some good moves to play? What are the beginning and good end moves to make it easier to win? I would like to know so I can play better, only good move I know is moving the horses or whatever to get the bishops free. But maybe am wrong about that move but do not know what to do after.

PHAT
21-02-2006, 08:41 AM
1. Play with a friend(s) who know (most) of the rules. Remember, chess is a game. Play with friends and it will be a fun game. If you start to play against strangers, you make it more serious.

2. If you then find that you want/need to win, buy a general chess book for players just beyond begginer, not an advanced book.

3. Play a a few hundred games on the internet, then join a real world chess club. As a woman you will get attention in a man's world. As a new player you will find winning a very very rare delight.

4. Come back here and let us know how you go - and post one of your games in the coaching section of this BB. You will get some very good feed back.

Good luck.

qpawn
21-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the world's greatest game!

I recommend "Chess made Easy" by Cecil Purdy as the best book for beginning players.

Trent Parker
22-02-2006, 07:21 AM
- Development is paramount. Develop your Knights (horses) towards the centre, Develop your bishops to diagonals that forfill your plans. Try not to bring your queen out before the minor pieces have been developed.

Link the rooks. Rooks can be stronger than a queen when working together.

FM_Bill
22-02-2006, 04:40 PM
I've got some tips at my website at

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~chess/tips.html

opening
middlegame etc

bobby1972
23-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Mate if you are at all the obsessive type,quit now or surrender to the game,i have seen it destroy all types over the years its got magical destructive powers unless you are strong and use it only in moderation.if you dont believe me take a look at any chessclub and check out the fanatics there are no words to express how many life times it has taken from people nothing in the world can isolate a person from life like chess nothing .

qpawn
23-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Actually, I don't see anything to fear from the fascination of chess!

Though the ICC website can be addictive! :D Those slomato run tourneys every 5 mins have been known to make zombies out of some people :lol:

Wife: you got to get the kid from school darl
Hubby: wait a sec; gotta finish this slomato tournament

Three hours later:

Wife: it's three hours since you said that stupid internet chess would end
Hubby: wait a sec. Slomato.

:evil:

WhiteElephant
23-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Actually, I don't see anything to fear from the fascination of chess!

Though the ICC website can be addictive! :D Those slomato run tourneys every 5 mins have been known to make zombies out of some people :lol:

Wife: you got to get the kid from school darl
Hubby: wait a sec; gotta finish this slomato tournament

Three hours later:

Wife: it's three hours since you said that stupid internet chess would end
Hubby: wait a sec. Slomato.

:evil:

Before you know it, the husband is sitting around playing Slomato in a house with no wife and no furniture.

bobby1972
24-02-2006, 11:01 AM
best advise i can give you is get a good analyst he he he

Axiom
24-02-2006, 01:20 PM
best advise i can give you is get a good analyst he he he :)
Bobby- im sure we'd all be grateful to hear your reccommendations,tips,guidelines for keeping chess a healthy pursuit,rather than a descent into madness......how does it differ from any other similar obsessional behaviours(eg. golf,mountain climbing,poker,yachting etc)?.......what is it ,that chessplayers should be particularly careful about?

qpawn
24-02-2006, 09:47 PM
The pawns. Beware the pawns. They hover above your pillow and fill your moon;lit thoughts with their missions to queendom. It is the pawns I say. The pawns...:lol:

Axiom
24-02-2006, 11:55 PM
The pawns. Beware the pawns. They hover above your pillow and fill your moon;lit thoughts with their missions to queendom. It is the pawns I say. The pawns...:lol:

OH MY GOD!!! THE PAWNS!!!!!!...ARRGGGHHHHHH

McTaggart
26-02-2006, 12:26 PM
OH MY GOD!!! THE PAWNS!!!!!!...ARRGGGHHHHHH

Yes, above all beware the pawns especially the "passed" pawn, who is in the words of the great Nimzovitch, "a criminal,who should be locked up"! But don't worry about getting psychiatric advice as being insane is an usefull attribute when considering a chess career. I remember listening to a lecture by an UN expert on mental illness and he said that one person in four has some kind of mental disorder and added that he knew he was sane! I also recall looking around the chess club on a busy night and reckoned that the aboe stats could be reversed and I was certain I was sane! although I can't prove it. Just look at the may chess players who were demonstrably mad,Morphy,Steinitz,Torre,Nimzovitch,Rauser,Grigor ian and Oll. just to name a few...so think again before you throw youself into this whirlpool.......

PHAT
26-02-2006, 07:45 PM
I remember listening to a lecture by an UN expert on mental illness and he said that one person in four has some kind of mental disorder...

Look at your three best friends. If they are OK, you are the one.

bill718
15-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Welcome to chess! Becoming a strong chess player involves 2 things:
1. Studying 2. Playing...Just like learning a trade. With over the board chess
these operations are seperate, in correspondence chess, they are lumped into one operation. 2 books I'd recommend: 1. My system, by Nimzovich
(a little dry, but very helpful) 2. 500 Master games of chess by Tartakower
(a bit dated, but good reference material)

Good Luck! :D

Axiom
15-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Welcome to chess! Becoming a strong chess player involves 2 things:
1. Studying 2. Playing...Just like learning a trade. With over the board chess
these operations are seperate, in correspondence chess, they are lumped into one operation. 2 books I'd recommend: 1. My system, by Nimzovich
(a little dry, but very helpful) 2. 500 Master games of chess by Tartakower
(a bit dated, but good reference material)

Good Luck! :D
wisclady wasnt even committed enough to wait around and respond to the advise in this thread let alone achieve in chess !
poor show in my book.
but good advice for others bill